“Ladies and Gentlemen....” The captain's voice booms over the intercom. They are approaching New York.

She is coming back....home. For how long, she doesn't know....she hasn't planned.

------

Ms. Monroe, (the letter began in a coordial enough manner)

This is Rogue. I have given this information so that if you want to stop reading you can do so right now.

However, if you do decide to carry on, there is another thing that you should know. I am not writing this letter from any need or volition of my own, but because of our common acquaintance, Mr. Remy Lebeau. He was the one who has asked me to do it, although what this will achieve, I am still not very sure off, even though I know what he is aiming for. He wants his sister to come back.

As for me, I do not care any which way. Whatever, good or bad blood we might might have had in the past is all gone for me.

As far as I am concerned, you are a stranger to me.

That being said, I would like to extend an invitation to you (enclosed with letter) for the upcoming marriage of Remy Lebeau and Rogue.


-----

*Marriage* The word struck her, not merely because of the sentiment behind it, or because it was Rogue who was breaking the news to her, or because she didn't expect to be so soon....but also because the last time she and Remy had talked over the phone, he had been down because he and Rogue had parted ways.

Remy had proposed, only to have it turned down, not because the southern belle didn't love with him all her heart...but because she did, and she didn't want him to have to marry a woman he couldn't touch.

Even after Remy's repeated assurances that it made not affect to him and that they would keep on trying to find a way to overcome Rogue's unique mutation, not matter how long it took. Moreover, even if it did not happen, they had already found way around it, made clear by both Rogue and Remy's collection of Gloves, Scarves and other nonmentionables.

Nothing had worked, at least not then.....so Ororo's surprise at the sudden change was completely understandable.

-----

Remy has asked me that I should be the one to invite you....(the letter continued).....as he feels that he has tried everything within his powers to facilitate your return, including his trip to wherever you are. I do not have the address, nor did I ask for it. As you must have noticed, the writing on the envelope is his and not mine.

The marriage has been set for the twenty-third of April, giving you enough time to reach a decision and inform HIM.

Also, in case you are wondering, I do not have any ulterior motives for doing this. Whether you come or not, won't affect me in the least.

I have nothing more to say, except that you are welcome to bring any guest or member of your family with you.

Rogue


-----

In the cab now, she mulls over everything that has changed in her absence.

The Professor is still the school headmaster and mentor for the newcomers, both students and x-men. Jean and Scott are still together, and although their relationship might have lost some of the innocence it held before.....well before, they are still happily married and even have a brother on the way for young Rachel, who from she has heard from her charmer brother, already has all the characteristics and mannerisms of a drive 'em mad beauty.

Kitty and Piotr are still together, and although she is still a member of the team, the now college going Shadowcat is on emergency duty only. Instead, she is focusing on her undergraduate degree, and planning for her graduate one.

Jubilee and Bobby are still playing the field, so as to say and have had a multitude of both mutant and human dates/flings/relationships. Both of them are full members now, with Iceman acting as Cyclops's second. He has held that position for over a year now, with Jean taking over some of the Professor's responsibilities in the school, while continuing her involvement in the political aspects.

The younger members finally coming into their own has allowed Henry to return the majority of his attention to his research and teaching. He has been lucky enough to get Kitty as an assistant, both of them spend hours discussing about some latest scientific discovery or invention.

Kurt is still leader of the gold team with Rogue as his second. He too has had some development on the personal part of his life. He has resumed contact with an old friend, his sort of foster sister, Amanda Sefton, who moved to the America a couple of years back and recognizing him from the video footage from one of the media sources, was able to track him down.

The only person Ororo doesn't know anything about, is the one person she and Remy didn't talk about, neither did the Professor.

Logan.

-----

“'e's still there,” Remy had told her when he had come to visit her. “'e didn't leave dis time.”
“Remy,” Ororo's voice had a drop it tone.

“Whatever you say padnat,” the Cajun shrugged his shoulder and tapped the unlit cigarette against its case. “Jus' though you would like to know.”
“You thought wrong,” the reply from the weather witch was a tight one. “Lo....he is not of any concern on mine now. I have moved on.”

Glancing around the living room of her house, Remy momentarily gazed at the pictures adorning the walls. She was right. She had moved on. Except for a single picture of him and her and one of the Professor, there wasn't a single thing that told anything about the mutant Storm and the X-Men. Now she was just Ms. Monroe, school teacher.

“Remy see dat,” the corner of his lips curved up. “However....”

An arched eyebrow egged him....dared him to continue.

“You can't move on by jus' leaving da past,” he resumed sagely. “You will 'ave to face it...one way or another. Trust Remy, 'e know dat from experience.”


-----

*Face your past* Is that what she come to do. The mansion is rising in the distance, even after more than years away, its grandeur not dimmed.

A gentle pressure on her hand draws her attention to her companion, his serene, supportive smile bolstering her faltering confidence.

'You can do it,' he seems to say, not verbally but through his silence. He has been giving her her space....and she is thankful for that.

“Thank you,” her whisper is loud enough for just the two of them, and so is her kiss on his smooth cheek.

----

Sometime later,

“Logan, Logan,” the screeching, sounds of approaching feet and bublicious flavor announce Jubiliation *Paff* Lee, as she burst through the front door of Logan's boathouse residence.
“What's up kid?” The gravelly voice answered before the man in question's scraggly head popped from the kitchen door. “What dya want now? It ain't a mission, or Chuckie woulda paged.”

“No, its not a mission,” Jubilee did her mock-panting thing. She was, in fact, one of the most physically fit X-Men around, and not just among the X-Women, the creedit...or blame for which went to the man currently frying six strips of bacon, while preparing his three egg omlette on the side.
“Then what?” Logan took a swig from his late morning, or in his case early morning, beer. “Want somethin' to eat?”

“She's back,” was all the young woman said, her eyes instantly catching the tensing up of her mentor-cum-friend's shoulders.

At getting no answer, she did the obligatory clearing up. “Logan, its Oro....”

“Where?” Was the single grinded out word.
“She just arrived,” Jubilee had seen the white hair and dark skin and had bolted to find Logan. She hadn't even waited to meet her.....and therefore didn't have the Nubian beauty's vanilla and sandalwood scent on her.

“Good,” was all Logan said as she took another pull from the half filled bottle before emptying the remaining liquid into his breakfast, detroying it completely.

“Logan,” Jubilee stepped forward, and took the bottle and spatula from him. “There is something else.”
“What?” The Wolverine answered this time, his tone hard and unfeeling.

“She didn't come alone.”


Note: As you can see, I am about to round up. Still haven't decided about the ending. Happy, Sad or otherwise!!





You must login () to review.