‘ ’ indicates thought
“ ” indicates spoken words


She is outdoors…

…..working in her greenhouse

….because her mind is in turmoil

….because she needs to be alone

….because she does not want to say or do anything that she might regret later.

-----

“’Ro darling,” the cultured female voice stopped her on her way from her classes.

“Yes Ms. Frost,” she turned to her *flashily* dressed colleague.

“How would you like to have lunch with me?” the other woman offered. Although her voice was even pitched, the tone and her body language all hinted to some hidden agenda. “And please, do call me Emma.”

“Ms. Frost,” she provided a *unfeeling* smile of her own. “I am sorry, but I already have lunch plans…..and please, do call me Ororo or Ms. Monroe. Only my friends call me ‘Ro.”

If her comment had the desired affect or not, she did not know verbally, although the slight twitch of the nerve on the forehead of the other platinum-blonde haired woman, told her everything she wanted to know.


-----

“Why did I do that?” she berates herself. “Why did I stoop down to her level?”

Closing her eyes, she takes deep breaths, dissipating the ominous clouds threatening to unleash her fury.

“I should know better than to indulge a trollop like her.”

“I should be able to rise above all this.”

“Why did I do it?”

----

“Oh,” the *Queen* smiled her plastic smile. “Maybe some other time.”

“Sure,” she nodded and started walking away, the woman falling in step with her. ‘Not in this life time.’

“Do give my regards to your feral colleague,” that stopped her right in her tracks.

“Pardon?” she turned to find a smug expression on the other woman’s face.

“Your lunch *plans* are with him, aren’t they?” she made her blood boil at the loss of her mental privacy.

“Ms. Frost,” her voice dropped to a cold growl. “What I do with my time is none of your concern. In addition, if you know what is good for you, you will refrain from invading my mind.”


-----

‘Shouldn’t have said that,’ she thinks, now that her mind has calmed a bit, being with Mother Nature being an immense help.

She knows that reply of her gave the White Queen the opening she was looking for.

It also gave extra ammunition in what she is now sure was a premeditated attack by the ex-Hellfire club member.

“What am to do now?”

Lost in her thoughts, she does not notice a figure observing her from among the branch of a tree, just ten feet away from her. His characteristic scent carried away to the other side by the flow of the wind.

-----

“Sure darling,” came the condescending answer. “After all it is your time, your life. I was just being social. After all, we have been working and staying in the same place for the last three months.”

“Yes we have,” the weather mistress replied smoothly. “Although I must say, that with just one more month left in the term, I find it odd that you would want to *develop* a friendship, with ME of all the people.”

“Oh dear,” her comment was shrugged off with an experienced ease. “I am just worried about you. Just as I am worried about the others…..”

“Sure you are,” She couldn’t stop herself from remarking.


-----

He observes her, silently, from his treetop perch.

He enjoys it, watching and analyzing people, especially those who are like him….and let not like him.

She is a mutant, just like him…..she is not a *visible* one, unlike him.

She was the first one whom he saw here, the first one who befriended him here, cared for him.

So he watches her, because he cares for her.

He watches…especially today, because he can sense her unrest.

Momentarily closing his eyes, he says a small prayer for her.

-----

“Come on Ororo, there is no need to snippy. Its your choice with whom want to fraternize romantically. Although I must say, the healing factor must work wonders in the bed. Maybe I should ask his usual clientele, but I don’t fancy going to roadside brothels,” the other woman’s words cut deep, but she maintains her silence.

“Wonder what Jean’s views might be on this topic,” unknowingly for both women, the arrow has just hit the bull's-eye. “Isn’t he supposed to be carrying a torch for her?”

“You will have to ask either of them about that,” she finally does answer, flinching slightly because she knows that the torch has been doused.

“I don’t understand what Scott is doing with someone like Jean when with his looks he could do so much better.”


------

Finishing his prayer he opens his eyes, they yellow gleaming in the dark shadowy branches.

Looking at her last position, he finds that she no longer there, only her clothes remain, neatly draped over her worktable.

Looking around and then up, he sees a figure retreating into the sky.

“Ah, riding the winds,” he says to himself. “Vonderful.”

Returning his gaze back to the ground he catches sight of another figure hidden by the shadows, his form completely garbed in the murky darkness, all except for the red glow of his cigar.

He looks deep in thought, his eyes following the aerial dance with a fanaticism. It’s as if he is seeing a goddess.

“Good luck mein friend,” he whispers just for his ears, and *BAMF*, he is gone.

------

“Ms. Frost,” she has had enough. “If you take me for a sounding board for your thoughts, you are sadly mistaken. Now if you excuse me.”

“Sure darling, no hard feelings,” the words keep flowing with their steady rhythm. “I wouldn’t want to have the Wolverine throw a hissy fit. Not without you being there. You seem to have a knack at soothing the savage….beast.”

“Thank you for the complement,” this time she is able to twist the words just as well. “You are very perceptive.”

That has the desired affect.

“Now if you excuse,” they reach the dining hall. “Although I would like to say that it has been a pleasure, I don’t fancy lying,” the word *fancy* is used in the same fashion as the other woman had just it just minutes ago.

“Have a peaceful day Ms. Frost, if you can manage one.”


-----

“Now why did I have to say that?” she says to her winds, ignorant of the interaction taking place on the ground.

“Logan.”

“What is it Jean?” His voice is just as teasing as it used to be before they….before that night, when she first came to him.

“I need to talk to you.”

“Talk?” he arches an eyebrow. “We usually don’t *talk*. You sure you want to do it with me?”

“Yes,” he green eyes flare with barely contained fire. “I cannot do this anymore.”

“Alright,” he flicks the ash of his cigar. “Cannot, hmmm…..what about don’t?”

----

“What do you mean?” she asks with suspicious confusion.

“You said, you cannot, but can you say you don’t want to?” he asks frankly.

“Scott has asked me to marry him.”

“Good for you,” his heart clenches with the faintest of yearning he used to have at one time…before she chose the other one, the *Good* one. “Give my congrats to one-eye. But that still doesn’t answer my question.”

“I-I don’t want to,” the words sound hollow even to her, let alone to him, who can smell the lie just as easily as he can hear it.

“Good,” he chuckles as he shakes his head and starts to walk away.. “Nice to know where I stand.”

------

“And Red,” he looks over his shoulder.

“Yes,” she doesn’t lift her head to see if he is looking at her.

“I’ll be in my room….see you tonight.”


Note: Couldn't think of an appropriate title for the chapter, so just used the general idea.

Hope you liked it and will review it!!





You must login () to review.