‘ ’ indicates thought
“ ” indicates spoken words

Time line: Zero Days (The Day After),

She came down silently from her loft apartment, a ghost of her usual lively self.

Nearing the kitchen, she hears loud voices, rather a single one. A voice she knew well. A voice she knew she would hear, only not so soon and not against the person who it was being spoken against.

“What do yah mean he didn’t say when he will be coming back?” the young skunk-striped-hair girl yelled in anger, the subject of her ire long gone, the recipient calmly sitting in front of her.

“Rogue this is no way….” Her team leader and teacher started to placate her.

“You keep the fuck out of this, one-eye,” she growled in a familiar fashion that wasn’t really her own. “What do yah mean?” she asked again. “Ah got this letter sayin’ that yah will explain everything. So start explaining Professor.”

“Please have a seat Rogue,” the telepath suggested calmly.

“Uh-huhn,” she shook her head vigorously, her next words surprising everyone one around her. “Yah start yappin’ or ah start touchin’.”

“Goddess,” the voyeur gasped as she stayed in the shadows, not for any particular reason, as almost everyone was already in the room, the school’s teachers and quite a few of the students, including the raging girl’s classmates.

“Last warnin’ Professah,” the southern accent grew thicker, both with anger and a growing sense of pain and hurt.

“Rogue Cherie,” the charmer’s words fell on deaf ears, that alone surprising quite a few people. That had never happened before. He was one of the few people who could contain and calm the spitfire southerner. The others had already tried and the only person now left was not in the country, let alone in the room.

“Very well child,” the experienced Professor knew when to pull and when to let. “Perhaps we should convene in my….”

“Here. Now.” That answered his incomplete question. “Get goin’ Chuck. Don’t try yer minds games with me.”

The flip between the girl’s personalities was swift and seamless. When she was calm or in pain, she was herself, but when she was angry, she channeled her inner mentor as if it was her own.

--

“Logan has taken an indefinite break from the school,” Xavier informed her and everyone else calmly.
“And,” the girl arched her brow in yet another adopted mannerism from the feral Wolverine.

“He has also…,” now this explanation was harder to give. The snow haired observer’s breath hitched in her throat. “He has also left something for you,” the Professor spoke once again. “And, if they want, also for Jubilation and Katherine.”

“Us?” both girls squeaked from their table. At the Professor's signal, they got up and came towards where he sat.

“Logan…” he started once again. “Has he had set aside a certain amount of monetary funds that he wanted Rogue’s to use for her future studies. Even though the institute takes cares of all such expenses, he wanted her to have her own money,” he explained to the girls.
“Ok, but what’s that got to do with us?” the yellow firecracker asked the question that was on everyone’s lips.

“Yesterday evening he came to my office,” Xavier started with his answer. “He has made similar arrangements for both of you.”

That revelation hushed everyone, the silence only broken by the next question, which came from the usual, expected source.

“How much money are we talking about here, Professor?” Scott Summers asked warily.
“Enough to finance all four years of undergraduate studies for all three girls,” Xavier’s answered an instant fuck from a very unusual source, Kitty.

“In your case Katherine,” he smiled at her. “He wasn’t sure that you would need the funds. He knows that unlike you, where your family has been understanding and supportive of your mutation, Rogue and Jubilee have no such support to fall back on. Even then, he made the adequate arrangements. He also stated that if you are not in need of it, it would be Rogue’s, Jubilee’s and my decision as to how best use the remaining funds. Although, he did specifically state that there would not be any shopping binges.”

That got a soft smile from mallrat Jubilee, who wiped away the sudden moistness in her eyes.

“Thaht’s all fine and dandy,” Rogue spoke again. “Why did he leave?”

“We don’t know Rogue,” Xavier shook his head. He had sensed distressing emotions emanating from the Canadian, but had respectfully stayed away from *taking a peek* into his mind.

“What do ya mean ya don’t know?” she bellowed again, ignoring the tears flowing down her cheeks.

--

At getting no further answers from anyone, she gritted out a screw ya’ll and stormed out of the room, only stopping when she came face to face with the regal but tired looking weather witch.

One look at her and she turned around, her eyes instantly zoning in on a nervous looking Jean. That gave her all the clarifications she needed.

Turning away from the door, she closed in on the taller woman, disregarding her two friends standing just inside the door.

“Ya sent him away, didntcha?” the girl accused hotly. “He musta told ya and ya sent him away.”

At her silence, she got another earful, one that struck right to her heart.

“Ya played yer game with him and when it came ta bite ya, ya pissed out,” the girl said the thing that the woman knew, the thing that the man didn’t say out loudly the previous afternoon. ‘She knows about it,’ her mind called out.

“Ah hope yer happy now.” The accusation caused the passive emotional armor to flinch internally.

Walking away from her, the girl gave a parting remark.

“Heartless Bitch.”

------

Time line: Two Weeks,

The mansion seemed to be getting to normal slowly.

Scott and Jean had finally broken the news of their engagement, causing a celebrity uproar in the school. The star couple was finally taking the next step in their legendary relation, just one step away from tying the knot.

Everyone congratulated them and gave their best wishes….and meant it. Everyone except three.

The first one was the white clad, platinum blonde. She gave a brief peck on the cheeks of the to-be-groom, and hugged the flame haired to-be-bride, sending a mental projection telepathically.

**Nice play darling. Got your kicks and now your man**

With that, she smiled her enigmatic smile and sauntered off smugly.

--

The second one was the snow haired, blue eyed Ororo. Her wishes were given together to both. “Hope you achieve true happiness.” Her words were short and succinct, with the thought ‘that I couldn’t,’ remaining unspoken.

In the joyful and enthusiastic ruckus, no one noticed that although she hugged the ruby eyed Scott, the only thing Jean got was a cool, detached smile.

--

Last one from the *non-wishing* trio was the pissed off Rogue.

She smiled a tight smile to her male teacher and gave a deliberate hug to his fiancée.

“Ah know everything,” she whispered just loud enough for the woman to hear. “Everything,” she stressed again.

Just before she drew back and re-plastered her sickening sweet smile, she spoke six small words. “What will happen if Ah tell….” She let it trail off, not completing the threat.

“Ah so happy foh both of yah,” she effortlessly donned the enthusiastic teenager mask.

-------

Time line: Three and a half Weeks,

She headed towards the silent greenhouse. It had become her retreat, her sanctuary. The one place she could go to get away from everyone, where she could immerse herself in the protective cradle of Mother Nature.

However, that day someone had already beaten in getting there, someone whose characteristic perfume and stale tobacco smell she knew well.

“Come out dear brother,” she called out softly. “I know you are there. And please put off that accursed cigarette.”

“As you say padnat,” the devil eyed charmer stepped out of the shadows, crushing the cigarette butt into a lump of damp work soil. “How are you doin’ Stormy?”

“I’m good,” her lackluster answer and the fact that she didn’t correct him for use of his pet-name, told him everything he needed to know.

“Good?” he stepped close to her, a sort of sad smirk on his face. “You ‘ave always been good ‘Roro.” At getting no answer from her, except a half-hearted smile, he spoke again. “You miss ‘im, don’t you?”

Again there was no answer.

“Ororo,” his gloved hand stopped her tilling.

“I am alright brother,” her words sounded more as a consolation than the truth. “How are you and….” She started to say.

**Ororo, please come to my office**

----

Time line: Six Weeks,

Once again, she is in her outdoor sanctuary, her thoughts turning to the events of the recent past.

His words still rang clear in her ears. “Me and Jeannie, we’ve been sleeping with each other.” That was what he had said. He had spoken a lot more, or had wanted to, she didn’t remember, because she didn’t care then, she didn’t listen then, she couldn’t. Her mind had gone numb after his those starting words.

The only thing she remembered hearing was, “As long as it takes.” After that she had left, calling on her winds to carry her away from the mansion, from him….from everything.

The next day he was gone.

---

Then came to the events of two and half weeks ago,

Xavier had called her, Scott, Jean, Hank and Emma to his office.

“I have asked you here today, to discuss our faculty status,” he stated evenly. “With Logan’s departure and Ms. Frost’s ending contract, the need for another teacher has arisen.”

“Anyone special you have in mind Professor?” Beast had asked. He was the most *uninvolved* party in the current group. Him and Charles.

“I did have a few people in mind and have even contacted them,” the headmaster answered the query. “Two of them have shown an interest in joining us. I expect an answer from them within the next few days. Hopefully, we should have a new teacher soon.”

“Professor, what about Logan?” the second question also came from the blue furred doctor. He had an inkling of the reason Logan had left the institute in a hurry. His enhanced senses had allowed him to do so. However, what he had inferred had not been correct. He had thought that Logan had left because of Jean and Scott’s engagement. Hence, he thought that he would be returning soon. “When do you expect him to return?”

“I cannot answer that question Henry,” Xavier sighed. “Before leaving he had said that his return will only happen under two situations. As for what those situations are, he said we’ll know then when and if the time comes.”

“Very cryptic for Logan,” Scott smirked. “Didn’t know he had that many working brain cells in that Admantium encased cranium of his.”

Nobody said anything in response to that remark. Xavier didn’t want to, Beast always tried to keep away from the Logan-Scott *deal*, that left only Jean and Ororo, who had their own reasons to keep quiet about the feral Canadian.

---

Her musings were intruded upon by Xavier’s telepathic call.

**Ororo, please join us in the foyer**

Leaving her solitary retreat, she took to the skies, landing at the front door a few seconds later. Once inside, she saw the other faculty members and someone whom she did not recognize, but automatically knew as the new teacher.

“And this is our last teammate,” Xavier made the usual introductions. “Ms. Ororo Monroe. Ororo, this is…”

“Please, Professor,” the blonde haired man stood up, his height allowing him to tower over the five foot eleven Ororo. “Allow me to introduce myself.”

Stepping towards the white clad Nubian beauty, he raised a fair hand.

“Davis Cameron. Davis to my friends.”


Note: In case you were wondering who the mysterious Davis Cameron is, just check out X-Treme X-Men #06. A dickhead in my opinion. For that you will have to read quite a few issues, at least till end of the alien invasion arc.

BTW….don’t forget to Review!!





You must login () to review.