Jean offered to come with Ororo to the professor’s office. But Ororo had declined the offer. She left the other woman standing in the hallway as she continued on alone. And now with each step she took, she felt herself sinking into a state of emotional shock, her mind reeling from the news of Forge’s sudden reappearance. For years she had wondered what she might do if he ever returned. But now, suddenly faced with that reality, she had no idea what to feel or think. If truth be told, she was terrified to even allow herself to feel anything at the moment. Afraid that if she allowed herself that luxury, if even for a moment, the pain and vulnerability would surface and she would be overwhelmed by it all.

She sighed loudly as she paused a moment outside the door to the professor’s study. She had thought herself well past the emotional drama that Forge had caused; thought herself recovered and healed from the pain his rejection had filled her with. But now faced with his return, she realized that deep inside she was still as angry and as hurt as the day he had left. And she wanted him to pay for what he had done.

She swallowed hard, forcing down the lump of anger in her throat as the rage brought to life thoughts and feelings she had once thought dead and buried. They pressed upon her, like distant shadows in her mind. Dark thoughts full of rage pain, thoughts of what she wanted to do to him the moment she got him alone. They were thoughts so unlike her it made her cringe and nearly cry aloud at the loss of herself.
With the door now open all the emotions and turmoil she felt that night and the weeks that followed roared to life. Again she felt the doubt of her own self worth. Felt her heart pierced by the longing to simply forget and continue on with her life. But somehow the pain was still there and it still hurt. Worst of all was the grief; grief that the one person she had entrusted with her heart had not simply broken it, though that had been horrible enough; no, he had cast it aside as if it meant no more to him than a piece of trash to be discarded.

That she realized was what really bothered her most about the way he had left. There had been no time for her to come to a decision or even attempt to compromise. There had been no mutual discussion of their future spoken between two people as partners, equals. No, there had only been an ultimatum given. And it was one that he should have known she would never even have considered.

So Ororo stood outside the door to Xavier’s office, a torrent of emotions and thoughts whirling inside her head fighting to come to her attention. She took a deep breath feeling a sudden wave of annoyance at allowing him to make her feel even another moment of pain. She squared her shoulders, ruthlessly pushed her thoughts and misgivings aside, vowing to not give him the satisfaction of seeing her hurt and opened the door.

Forge stood as she entered and she was surprised that he had changed so little since the night that he had left. He had a bit more gray at the temples than before, but he was still dark, tall and his smile was still filled with a false sense of compassion and sensitivity. His eyes still held a light she had always taken for unique interest but later learned was closer to contempt.

She stepped further into the room and he stepped forward, grasping her hand gently and kissing her cheek; she stiffened at his gesture but he seemed oblivious to her discomfort. She wondered just how often he had been oblivious around her.

“Ororo, it is so good to see you again.” He smiled at her once more but there was no warmth in it. Nor did it reach his eyes. It was as if the man had no more feeling to share with those around him than a sheet of paper.

She ignored his fake smile, pulled her hand from his and turned her attention to the professor. “You sent for me?”

Xavier nodded as he moved up next to the two of them. “Yes, I did. Forge will be staying with us for a few days; there are some important matters he has come to discuss with us about some recent mutant activity and possible experimentation. I was hoping that you would be so kind as to show him to his room.”

Ororo’s eyes narrowed as she sent out a thin, slightly angered vein of thought. I would not have expected this of you Professor. I will not be manipulated.

Charles response was immediate and filled with remorse and compassion. I assure you Ororo that I had nothing to do with this. Forge wished to speak with you alone. I had thought that this might be the best way; please do not think I would ever expect you to stop following the dictates of your heart.

For a moment Ororo pondered the older man. I will play along for the moment. But you had best find someone else to escort him around the mansion. I will not be making myself available.

Charles nodded slightly before responding. I understand. Perhaps Scott, Betsy or Warren might be a better choice.

Ororo sighed mentally. As much as I love Scott, I do not want it to be him. He still thinks the world of the man and worse he might let something slip about Logan and I. That simply will not do.

Do you plan to keep it a secret from him?

For the moment, yes.

Ororo, I would not recommend that.

For the moment only. The man has no right to know a thing about me; he lost that right the night he walked out on me. In any event, I must find Logan before someone tells him about our visitor.

Yes, I fear that Logan may allow his temper free reign in this matter.

As do I. Best to head that notion off at the pass as soon as possible.
She thought at him and in the next instant turned to Forge, a strange fire burning in her eyes as she spoke out loud. “If you will follow me.”


Ororo was silent as she led the way to the guest wing. She stayed a couple of steps ahead of Forge refusing to even look at him. Her expression and stance warned of violent retribution if she was bothered and many curious students stepped back as she walked through the halls. No one knew exactly what she was feeling at that moment; she was very adept at hiding what she really felt. But Logan would have recognized that look; after all he’d seen it enough. It was the look Ororo often got before they sparred; it was a look of utter concentration and determination. It was also the same look she got before she knocked him on his ass. If Logan had been in the hall, he would have recognized that Forge was a dead man walking.

When they reached his room, Ororo told him where everything was, the mealtimes and the basic rules of the school in a brisk no nonsense voice. When she turned to leave, he reached out and stopped her. A sharp crack of thunder echoed loudly over the mansion as her eyes frosted white ice and she turned her rage filled stare at him.

“How dare you!”

Forge stepped back a look of disbelief on his face at the slip of her control. “Ororo, please. I only wish to talk.”

She stood there, stiffly, her arms crossed across her chest. “Fine, Talk.”

He took a deep and held out his hands. “It is very good to see you.”

“So you have said.” Her voice was still stiff and there was a faint shadow of white across her eyes.

“I’ve missed you a great deal.” His voice was soothing, full of charm.

She arched a brow at him wondering how he could return after all the time that he’d been gone and expect that everything would be the same between them.

“Really? You have spent the last seven years missing me? I find that very hard to believe.”

His tone became soothing, some of his natural charm coming to the surface in response to the cool ice in her voice. “Believe what you wish but I have missed you.”

She felt the anger build as she let her hands fall to her sides, her hands clenching into tight fists as she threw her words at him like stones. “And yet, not once in all that time did I ever receive a phone call, a letter or even a postcard. Did you forget about me so easily? Or were you far too busy finding my replacement to even spare me a thought?”

She saw the beginnings of anger light his eyes as well at her vehement tone. “Dammit Ororo, that isn’t fair.”

She scoffed at his choice of words. The man had no idea of the concept. “Fair? You did not seem to be concerned about ‘fair’ the night you walked out on me.”

He looked down taking a moment and then looking back up at her. “You never gave me an answer.”

This time she threw her hands in the air in a violent gesture. Outside, the wind picked up as dark clouds began to gather over the mansion as her anger slowly grew.

“You never gave me the chance. When I did not answer fast enough for you, you took it back and you left me. You took everything back that night; every word of love that you spoke to me, every thought, every touch, every kiss. They all disappeared that night. And just when I thought that you had hurt me as much as humanly possible, you waltz back into my life as if nothing has happened.”

He sighed loudly. “Ororo, I never meant to hurt you.”

“It is strange that you should say that; as that is exactly what you did.”

“I can explain if you would just give me the chance.”

“Explain? What is there to explain? You did not love me; at least not enough to give me a choice I could live with. No, you simply stated your terms and acted as if there was no other solution; no other possible way of living. And worst of all, I spent all these years since thinking that what happened was somehow my fault. But I am not that naïve any longer. I will not be manipulated or made to feel something that I do not or, even worse, made to feel as if there is something wrong with me because I do not feel as you think I should.

“I honestly hope that you have not returned here expecting me to have waited for you. Somehow I think you are bound to be disappointed. I loved you, past tense. If you came here genuinely seeking the Professor’s help, I will do whatever he requests of me to help you in a professional capacity. But beyond that you have little hope of anything else from me. If you need anything, you can speak with Jean; I will not be available.” With those clipped and angered words, she turned and walked out of his room, the thunderclap over the mansion barely masking the sound of the slamming door.


Ororo stormed down the hall, muttering angrily to herself and resisting the urge to lash out with her powers. As it was, the air had grown heavy and oppressive around the mansion and periodic peals of thunder told her that she was almost angered beyond control. She rounded a corner deciding that she needed a way to vent some of the rage and frustration she was feeling when she collided with someone. She felt strong arms reach out for her, stopping her from falling and instinctively shoved them off.

“Hey darlin’, no need to get physical. I was just tryin’ to save that beautiful ass of yers from a bruisin’.”

Ororo stilled herself as she realized just who she had run into. With a gentle sigh, she threw herself into his arms. “Logan.”

Dumbly he wrapped his arms around her, “’Ro, ya okay?”

She pulled back, nodding slightly as she gazed into his beautiful steel gray eyes. She could see the concern for her in them and she smiled slightly as she touched his cheek. “I am now.” She rested her forehead against his, letting his presence soothe her as she reached out mentally to reconnect with the environment around her. She stilled the raging storm building around the mansion, letting nature take control once more as Logan stood there, unsure of what was happening.

He looked at her, his voice gentle as he touched her arm. “What’s goin’ on ‘round here? And what’s with the fireworks outside?”

She shook her head as reached out, embracing him once more, resting her head on his shoulder. Bracing herself for the explosion she knew would come at her next words. “It is nothing; I just had an argument with Forge and I was a bit upset.” She felt him stiffen and gripped him tighter. She knew that he was only an instant away from pulling away and seeking out Forge. As much as she thought he might deserve whatever Logan was about to do to him, she had no wish to see it actually happen.

“That good fer nothin’ son of bitch is here? Let go of me ‘Ro; he and I need ta have a little talk; and it’s long overdue.” He didn’t want to simply shrug her off; he could have easily enough and they both knew it.

But he needed her to let him know that going after Forge was what she wanted him to do. If she let go of him at that moment, that was enough justification for what he wanted to do to the man. But she held onto him telling him that wasn’t she wanted.

She stood there, her forehead touching his, understanding full well what was going through his mind and what he was feeling. “Logan, no matter what I might feel about the man, no matter how much I might think he deserves what you plan to do to him, I could not live with my conscience if I allowed or worse condoned what you are about to do.”

Logan sighed loudly relaxing against her in surrender. “You win this time darlin’. But he and I will settle this. He hurt ya and I don’t plan on lettin’ what he did to ya go that easily.” She smiled as he kissed her gently. “Just what did he say to you to piss you off anyway?”

She sighed, dropping her arms as she thought back on the conversation. “Logan, I was not angry because of anything he said. He told me that he simply wished to talk. Whereupon I told him he could take a flying leap off of the roof for all I cared.”

Logan seemed extremely pleased. “Ya told him that?”

She shrugged. “Well, not in those words exactly but yes, that was the gist of it.”

He reached up, taking her face gently in his hands and kissing her soundly, only letting her go when she began to sway. “That’s my girl. So how’s about a sparrin’ session?”

She looked at him in puzzlement. “Now, but why?”

He led her through the mansion, heading for the elevator that would take them down into the bowels of the mansion where the danger room rested. “It’ll take the edge off all that anger yer carryin’ around. Besides it’ll be fun; I’ll even let ya pin me to the mat a couple of times.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her as he drew her into the elevator, his hand caressing her back.

She laughed at the hopeful look in his eyes and let him lead her away, both mentally and physically, from the source of her annoyance. “You are such a letch.”

He gave her a deadpan look as the doors began sliding shut. “Always, darlin’, always.”


While Ororo and Logan descended into the bowels of the mansion, their attention turning towards fighting android and hologram opponents and other more pleasurable pursuits, Scott was wandering around the mansion, looking for Jean and their so called mystery guest. He had not been at the mansion when said guest arrived earlier that day; having been sent on an errand by his pregnant and somewhat demanding lover.

He rounded a corner, not really paying attention to his surroundings when he heard a somewhat familiar voice calling his name. He looked up to see Forge standing in the hallway, a pleased smile on his face. The surprise showed on his face as he stepped closer to the man and took the offered hand out of sheer habit.

“Hey Scott, I didn’t see you when I first got in.” Forge shook his hand, clapping him warmly on the shoulder as he did so.

Scott forced a smile on his face as he returned the gesture. He wanted nothing more than to brush the older man off but his own manners held him firm. “Forge, is that you? Jean told me we had a guest but she didn’t say who it was. Damn, it’s really good to see you again.”

Forge laughed as they started walking down the hallway once more. “Same here. I saw Jean when I first got here but she didn’t stop to talk, something about needing to head off an explosion. So how have things been?”

Scott mentally winced, knowing very well what the explosion was that Jean had been talking about. Ororo and Logan were expected back from their trip today. He wondered if Ororo and Forge had spoken. Considering that Forge was still alive, he could only assume that Logan had not heard about their guest or that Ororo had managed to find him first.

He ran his hand through his hand nervously as his mind raced for a way to leave Forge without raising the man’s suspicions. “Great, really great. Umm, about that explosion, did Jean happen to mention anything more about it?”

Forge shook his head, a puzzled expression coming over his face. “No, just that some kind of emergency had come up in the hangar bay and she’d catch up with me later. She sent me off to the professor before I could even get a chance to blink. Listen, there’s not something really wrong is there?”

Scott shook his head, thinking quickly. “No, its just some glitch with the hangar controls we’re working on. Nothing major.”

“I could take a look at it for you if you’d like.”

Scott shook his head a little violently as he held up his hands, searching for a way to change the subject. “No, that’s okay, we can handle it. It’s kind of like a vendetta now; it’s a personal grudge. I’m sure Jean was just making sure Ororo got in okay.”

Forge frowned. “Ororo was away?”

“Yeah, she came back from a camping trip today with the mini jet and Jean wanted to be sure she could land the damn thing inside the hangar without a problem.”

Again, Forge gave Scott a strange look. “Hmm. Ororo went camping? That doesn’t sound like her.”

Scott gave him a serious look, his voice soft and somber. “She’s not exactly the same woman you left behind seven years ago.”

“So I’m discovering.” He sighed. “Listen Scott I don’t mean to pry, but how has she been?”

“Don’t you think you should ask her that?”

Again the older man sighed. “I tried and I got verbally slapped for my efforts.”

Scott did not bother to hide his annoyance, lashing out at him. “Give her a break Forge, you broke her heart. What’d you expect that she’d just forgive you and forget it ever happened?”

There was silence for several moments as Forge pondered his words. “I guess I deserved that. Can you at least tell me if she’s seeing anyone?”

He’d been wondering if Forge knew about Logan and Ororo. Now he knew Forge was still in the dark, the words coming from the man’s very own mouth. Scott was no fool; there was a reason Ororo had not told him yet. And he knew Forge was hunting. But he was not going to find what he was looking for. Scott was not going to reveal a thing to the man until he’d had a moment to talk to Jean and Ororo.

Scott shook his head slightly. “I really think you should talk to her about this.”

Forge chuckled. “That would be a no.”

Despite himself, Scott chuckled also. “Sorry, but there are only two things in this world that scare me more than Ororo’s temper.”

“And what would those be?”

“Jean’s temper and what the two of them together would do to me if I ever pissed off either one.”

“I know a subject change when I hear one. So how is Jean?”

This time Scott’s face was lit by a large, stupid grin as he answered the question. Not only glad that Forge had taken the hint, but also ecstatic about the recent events of his life. “We’re getting married, right before the school year starts.”

Forge rolled his eyes even as he smiled. “Finally.”

“Yeah, and we just found out a couple of weeks ago that Jean’s pregnant.”
Forge stopped in his tracks, completely surprised at the news. He reached out and clapped Scott soundly on the back. “Well, congratulations. This is good news. Tell you what, how about you grab Warren, Hank and any other guy in this place and I take you all out to celebrate, on me.”

Nervously, Scott ran his hand through his hair. He didn’t really want to go out and celebrate with Forge. And he sure as hell didn’t want Hank and Warren along for the ride. Scott had no idea just why Ororo hadn’t even hinted to Forge that she’d moved on with her life. All he knew was that she wanted it to be kept quiet.

Warren would have no problem doing just that if Scott asked, but Hank, well Hank could be a little absentminded. And he might let something slip despite himself. He could think of only one person who could help him, he had no idea just how in the world he was going to convince Logan he needed help.

“I think we can handle that. Although I don’t think any of us here will go for anything real highbrow. You might be able to drag us to the local steak house though.”

Forge chuckled ruefully his hopes of a somewhat decadent meal flying out the window in the face of more simplistic tastes. “Nice to know that some things never change. I’ll meet you guys downstairs at 7. Remember, tonight’s on me.” Forge continued walking down the hall, leaving Scott standing there.

“Well let’s hope that money’s the only thing you’ll lose out on tonight.” He muttered as he watched Forge walk away. “Now, if I can just get Logan to come tonight. Hope he’s come back in a damned good mood.” He sighed lightly as he walked away, looking for Jean.



“No!” Logan’s voice was adamant and forceful. He couldn’t believe that Scott would even think about it, let alone ask him to come along. He had no intention of even pretending to be civil to the man who’d broken Ororo’s heart. He sure as hell wasn’t planning on spending any time with him. But Scott was proving persistent.

Scott had found him in one of the equipment rooms putting away the rest of the gear that he and Ororo had used during their sparring session earlier that day. He’d been trying to change Logan’s mind for the past five minutes, with little success. “Logan, if you’d just…”

Logan slammed one of the lockers shut, his anger rising to cover his vision in a curtain of red as he turned on the taller man. “The answer is no!” He accompanied this with a sharp jab to the Scott’s shoulder.

Scott sighed loudly, ignoring the jab as he kept trying. “You’d think I was asking you to cut off your damn arm.”

Logan snorted loudly, some of the anger leaving him. “Ya might as well ask fer that instead; ya’ve got a better chance of seein’ it happen.” He tried to walk past Scott and out the door but found his path blocked by Scott’s arm.

Scott tried placation. “All I’m asking is for you to come along.”

Logan found himself resisting the urge to simply knock him aside and leave. No matter how satisfying the gesture might be, he knew it would piss Jean off. And in her current condition, only a suicidal idiot would go courting the red-heads temper. “I don’t give a rat’s ass what ya promised him Cyke, I ain’t goin’!”

This time, Scott lost his temper and began shouting at the shorter mutant. “Dammit Logan, if you’d just get your head out of your ass for a minute you’d see that I need your help with this.”

Again, a derisive snort from Logan. “Ya need my help? With him? Why, I thought you two were tighter than flies on shit.”

“You can be so god damned crude.”

“I call ‘em like I see ‘em. And I ain’t going anywhere with that jackass. So ya can take yer damn arguments and shove ‘em up yer boy scout ass.” This time he brushed past Scott and left the room, heading towards the elevator. Ororo was waiting for him in their room, having promised him a long, hot shower to be followed with a soothing massage. And knowing her, it would likely lead to something much more relaxing. Logan felt a slight leer crossing his face as he approached the elevator, his thoughts to Ororo and the hoped for erotic play she had hinted at earlier.

Scott’s voice pulled him from those pleasant thoughts as he too stormed out of the equipment room.

“Dammit Logan, there’s more going on here than you realize. The last time he was here, I trusted him, we all did and he hurt Ororo. The man was my friend but he destroyed that when he walked out on her. I don’t trust him.”

Logan paused at the elevator, the words drawing him up short, his thoughts centering on the unspoken message that lay between them. And if I end up hurtin’ her? What then Scott? What will ya do ta me?

When Ororo and Logan had first begun dating, there had been a discussion between him and Jean and even one between him and Remy; although that one had degenerated into a pissing contest rather quickly. Hell he’d even talked to the professor about his intentions and what he felt eventually.

But Logan had never really thought Scott would have an opinion one way or the other; at least not an opinion that wasn’t blinded by dislike or mistrust. So as far as Scott went, Logan had no idea what his reaction might be if something should happen between him and Ororo. He had no idea where he stood with man and that bothered Logan. He decided that now was the time to find out just how Scott really felt about his and Ororo’s relationship.

“Why not?” Logan’s voice was soft.

Scott stepped towards him, trying to keep his voice low. Despite where they were, he didn’t want to be overheard. “Because he’s not here for what he says he is. At least not only for he says he is.”

That caught Logan’s attention. He wondered if Scott was thinking the same suspicious thoughts he was at the moment. “I’m listenin’.” Logan grunted.

“Look, I spoke with Jean today about Forge. She thinks that he’s come back for something besides what he’s been telling the professor. And after talking with him earlier, I believe her. And I don’t think he’s come back because he missed this damn place.”

Logan finished his thought. “You think he’s come back for ‘Ro?”

Scott nodded. “Yes, I do.”

For a moment there was a moment of silence again as Logan stood there, thinking. It would make a sick sort of sense, Forge using mutant experimentation as an excuse to come back to the mansion. Knowing that with that kind of story in his pocket, he would be readily welcomed despite his past actions. It wasn’t necessarily something he would do under the same circumstances, but who knew?

The question was, how did Scott and everyone else feel about the possibility? Was the memory of Ororo’s pain still strong enough in their minds? Would they want to keep the older mutant at bay, or encourage his efforts? He had to know, now. He met Scott’s gaze as he spoke again. “Do ya think she’d go back to him?”

Scott met his gaze unflinchingly, the surprise evident on his face. “What kind of question is that?”

“A damned good one.”

Scott shook his head. “No, it’s a pointless question.”

Logan shook his head again. He knew where Ororo’s heart lay; he just needed to be sure that everyone else knew as well. “Not from where I’m sittin’ it ain’t”

Annoyed, Scott stepped towards and gave him a sharp jab in the chest as he spoke. “If you really think that, then you have no idea of how much she really loves you. She shot him down today, before he even managed to open the damn gate. So what’s that tell you?”

Logan smiled, the expression feral and cold. It was not pleasant. Despite himself, he couldn’t help but feel a bit touched that Scott, of all people had stood up for him. “I know how she feels, I just wasn’t sure about what the rest of ya feel ‘bout her goin’ back ta him. Now I know.”

Scott sighed, seemingly unfazed by Logan’s actions. “Well his wanting her back isn’t the only reason I want you along tonight.”

“What there’s more?”

“Yeah. When Ororo shot him down today, she didn’t mention you or the fact that you two are sharing a room.”

Logan shrugged. “Don’t really surprise me none. Ya know how closed off she gets. Maybe she didn’t think he had a right ta know.”

“Yeah well, even when he does find out, I don’t think he’s going to take ‘no’ for an answer.”

Logan chuckled, studying his knuckles, the muscles in his forearms slowly tightening and relaxing. “Maybe he just needs ta hear it from the right person.”

“That’s why I want you to come. I need you to help me keep an eye on him and keep him finding out about the two of you until Ororo decides to tell him.” Logan looked at him unconvinced. Scott continued on, ignoring the look. “Look, Warren doesn’t trust him but between him and Hank, I’m going to have a hard time keeping you guys under wraps. Especially with Hank.”

Logan sighed. “What the hell am I gonna be able ta do Scott? I hate the man because he hurt her.”

“I’m not asking you to be his buddy, I’m just asking for a hand in keeping him in line and sending him the message that Ororo is off limits.”

Logan held up his hand, studying his knuckles again. This time, he tensed the muscles in his forearms a bit more and the tips of his claws broke through the skin before slowly retracting once more. He relished the sharp sting of his parting flesh and turned his attention back to Scott. “Just give me five minutes with him. I guarantee ya, he’ll get the message loud and clear.”

“We’re going for subtly here Logan, not brute force. It’s a lot more effective.” Scott said drolly.

Logan let his hand fall and sighed loudly. “Yeah, but no where near as satisfying.”

“So are you in or what?”

“Yeah, I’ll go. But don’t be surprised if it ain’t pleasant. From what I heard ‘bout this guy, he could rub Mother Theresa the wrong way.”





You must login () to review.