“I do not like it Logan.” Her voice was filled with annoyance and just a bit of exasperation at the whole affair.

Logan sighed slightly, tightening his arms around Ororo as they continued staring at the sky. They were out on the roof, just above the window to the loft, trying to catch a moment or two of peace and quiet before any new chaos descended upon them.

He kissed her forehead as she lay against his chest, still struck by how well she fit against his side. “I know darlin’, but I told Scott I’d go.”

She tensed against him and gave a shake of her head. “Scott should not have asked. I cannot believe that he did.”

Logan sat up a bit, forcing her to look up at him. “I know yer mad; hell I would be too. But yer the one that decided he didn’t have a right to know that ya moved on. We just want ta send the bastard the message that ya ain’t available.”

Her face hardened as she jabbed him in the chest. “Scott could have done that very well on his own. Why do you need to be involved?”

He cupped her face in his large, grizzled hands, gently rubbing his thumb over her jaw line. Her eyes softened slightly at his touch. “Cause I don’t trust the guy, anymore than Scott does right now.”

She pulled away from him, sitting up and crossing her arms over chest. For a moment, she looked as if she would begin pouting any moment. “And so you feel the need to go out to dinner with him and the others because you do not trust him?”

Again Logan sighed. The woman was more persistent than a bulldog with a bone. “No, I’m goin’ out ta dinner with him because I need to know just how much I don’t trust him.”

There was a moment or two of silence from the woman next to him as she pondered his words. “Logan, I know that often you see things differently than the rest of us, but even I cannot follow that twisted bit of logic.”

He reached out, taking her hands in his own, entwining their fingers. “Ororo, he came here askin’ the professor for help fer a reason. You and I both know that if that reason ain’t real, Chuck’ll find out and it’ll put Forge in a bad spot. My guess is that the excuse he used to come back here is real and it’s bad. So, Chuck will probably ask us to go and investigate for ourselves. Now, I don’t know ‘bout you, but I’d like to know just how far I can trust this guy before I have ta trust the guy.” She still did not look convinced. “Do ya trust me ‘Ro?”

“What?” There was surprise, written across her face and overlying her voice.

He squeezed her hands slightly, his eyes holding her own with reservation. “I said do ya trust me?”

She reached out, touching his face. “I heard what you said, I just cannot believe that you would feel the need to ask me that. Of course I trust you. I gave you my heart, did I not?”

“Yeah, ya did.” He smiled slightly.

“Then why ask me that question?” She spoke as if she were humoring a slightly rambunctious child. Given just who she was speaking to, she was probably not far off the mark.

He sighed, dropping his eyes as he let her in on the plan to get inside Forge’s head. “Cause tonight, I’m probably gonna say some stuff to this guy that you ain’t gonna like hearin’ ‘bout. But I need ta know if he’s still obsessed with ya and there’s only one way ta do that.”

Realization dawned quickly for her. “You are going to pick a fight with him.”

He nodded. “Yeah.”

“You are going to insult my honor.” Her voice held no emotion whatsoever.

He sighed, feeling a touch of guilt at the neutral tone in her voice. “Not like ya think. I’m just gonna make a few choice comments and see what it does to him. It won’t be much; it won’t have ta be if he’s as gone on ya as Scott and Jean thinks he is. Nothin’ personal though, I promise.” He heard her sigh and lay her head down on his shoulder. He didn’t like it anymore than she did, but it was the only way.

“Logan?” Something in her voice lifted his eyes back to hers.

He looked up, seeing a strange, unreadable look on his lover’s face. “Yeah darlin’?”

“Promise me one more thing?”

“Anything.”

“Do not hit him.”

At this, he gave a sharp chuckle. “I ain’t plannin’ on startin’ a brawl darlin’.”

She touched his shoulder, her eyes pleading as she spoke. “I am serious, please. I know that you can handle yourself in a fight and I know that he is no match for you. But please, do not resort to violence tonight.”

He reached out cupping her face gently in his hands as he leaned forward and gave her a tender kiss. “’Ro, long as he behaves himself and don’t push my buttons we’ll be fine. I’ve been in plenty of pissing contests and as far as Forge knows, that’s all this is. He won’t start a fight cause he won’t stoop to my level. And I’ll be damned if he draws me inta one so you’ve got nothin’ ta worry ‘bout.”

“Thank you.” The relief on her face was almost tangible.

He leaned forward and gave her a peck on the cheek as he stood and walked down the roof. “I’ll be back as quick as I can. Why don’t you go keep Jean company, I think between the two of ya, ya could come up with somethin’ ta make his life a livin’ hell.”

She chuckled, not moving as she watched him make his way to the window. “You should not encourage us Logan.”

He snorted, leaning back out the window, his weathered Stetson perched atop his head. “Encourage nothin’. I wanna be in on it.” Then he was gone.


Logan jogged down the stairs, nearly running into Scott as he approached one of the lower landings. The two men fell in step together as they continued downstairs, heading towards the garage.

Scott turned to look at Logan as they walked along, his ruby quartz glasses glinting in the dull light of the hallway. “You ready for this Logan?”

Logan set his Stetson on his head and nodded. “Yeah.”

“So what’s the plan?”

Logan shrugged slightly. “Just follow my lead.” They reached the landing on the second floor and Logan reached out to stop Scott. “Listen I had a talk with ‘Ro and she ain’t too happy about this.”

Scott shrugged, seemingly unsurprised. “I guess she wouldn’t be.”

Logan pressed on. He wanted Scott to be very well aware that Ororo was unhappy with what was being done. Largely because he didn’t want Scott to be ambushed later by an angry, pregnant fiancé. “I told her what we were plannin’ on doin’ and she ain’t too happy about that either.”

Scott smirked at him, folding his arms across his chest. “Seems we’re 0 for 2 tonight.”

“Yeah and its only gonna get worse. Cause I guarantee that after tonight, you and Jean ain’t gonna like me much either.” He pulled out a cigar and lit it, ignoring both Scott’s annoyed expression and the professor’s ban inside the mansion.

“What are going to do Logan?” There was a touch of uncertainty and trepidation in Scott’s voice.

Logan blew some smoke out and regarded the taller mutant for a few moments before responding. He knew he should be honest and tell him everything. But he also knew that for this to work, everyone’s reactions needed to be as realistic as possible. And while Scott was gifted with many talents, acting wasn’t really one of them. Logan wasn’t sure Scott could pull off the emotional response he’d need to convince Forge that Logan was a acting like an ass.

Not to mention that he was a little too emotionally involved in the problem to see it clearly. If the man suspected even for a moment what Logan was up to, he knew the younger man would be against it. Simply because what he planned to do was likely to hurt Ororo or make Jean angry. So for the time being, he was going to keep his plans to himself. And spring them on everyone when they could do nothing about them. It was the only way he could think of to pull it off. Scott simply wouldn’t cooperate otherwise.

He gave a feral smile, feeling it pull wide across his face, showing plenty of teeth. “I’m gonna rattle his cage.”

Scott didn’t bother to hide his annoyance. “And you think is a good idea because?”

Logan felt his own temper rising to the challenge and felt the beast stir deep within him as he stepped closer to Scott. “He’s goin’ after ‘Ro. I want to see how far I can push the guy before he gets his back up about her. I wanna know just how far gone he is and if its goin’ ta cause a problem.”

Scott sighed, slowly walking down the final set of stairs once more. “Why do I get the feeling that I’m not going to like what you plan on doing?”

Logan chuckled, taking another healthy puff on his cigar. “Cause ya ain’t gonna like what I’m plannin’ on doin’. But I’m expectin’ ya ta keep yer mouth shut and play along. Otherwise it’s gonna take me longer ta feel this guy out. And trust me, you don’t want me ta keep interactin’ with this guy.”

Scott gave in, resignedly. “Fine. I’ll cut you some slack, but if you screw this up, or worse Jean hears about what you said…”

Again the beast stirred slightly at the posturing, but remained quiet. “What, you’ll come after me?”

A strange smile appeared on Scott’s face. “Worse, I’ll sic Jean on you.”

The sinister smile disconcerted Logan but the younger man’s words truly frightened him. No one, not even the professor wanted a highly hormonal Jean aimed at them. They had all been told repeatedly by the professor that Jean’s behavior was perfectly normal for her condition. True though that might be, most of the other residents went out of their way to avoid a confrontation with her. The only two who seemed safe from her ire lately were Scott and Ororo; although even Scott seemed to be a target from time to time.

The very idea that he might be on the receiving end of one of Jean’s moods was enough to scare the pants off even the mighty Wolverine. He sighed loudly, taking another puff on his cigar, trying to push down the panic the mere thought caused him. “Damn Scooter, you fight dirty. Keep the pregnant lady outta this.”

Scott jabbed him in the shoulder, a smile dancing across his face. “Then don’t screw this up.” They continued down the final flight of stairs in silence.


“Hey Forge, I rounded up everybody I could. I know you know Hank and Warren and this is Logan. He just started teaching self defense this year.”

Forge stepped forward, shaking everyone’s hand. When he reached Logan, a strange look passed over his face before he grabbed Logan’s hand firmly in his own. “Self defense huh? Sounds kind of…interesting.” His voice held an underlying touch of sarcasm that was so subtle, Logan wasn’t completely sure he had heard it.

He felt his hackles rise slightly at the threat. Deep inside, he felt the beast come completely awake. It didn’t push forward, it just simply sat there, just beneath his consciousness, watching and waiting and very aware. For a moment, Logan’s senses sharpened as his instincts searched for the veiled threat. The sensation was a bit disconcerting, but somewhat comforting.

He shrugged. “Can be. The kids run me ragged sometimes but hell its fun kickin’ ‘em around when I get the chance.”

Again, there was a flash of expression across the other man’s face as he spoke. Again Logan felt his hackles rise at the gesture. “I’ll bet. Hey Scott, I need to ask you something real quick.”

Scott looked at him in surprise and then nodded. “Uh, sure. Why don’t you guys just meet us in the garage? We’ll be right there.”

Logan stood there for a second or two, wondering if he should argue against their leaving. But the beast, though alert remained still and quiet. So, he simply followed Hank and Warren outside.


Scott turned to regard his one time friend as the door closed behind the other men. Forge appeared nervous, uncertain even and Scott wondered at the cause of the behavior.

He pointed at the door as he spoke. “That man you introduced me to, Logan how well do you know him?”

Scott shrugged wondering just what Forge knew about him. “Well enough. He’s been gone for awhile and came back at the beginning of the school year. He’s been a real asset to the team. Why?”

Forge paused for a moment, as if he were considering just how much detail he should reveal. “I’ve seen some classified government files with his name on them. The man’s a hired killer a real psychopath. Works mostly with the Canadian government. But apparently he’s their go-to guy whenever they need someone silenced. He’s dangerous.”

Now Scott began to understand. If Forge had indeed seen such files, then he knew just what Logan had been doing before he joined the X-men. And he figured that he was obligated to warn Scott.

Scott bit back an urge to chuckle as he realized that Forge had no idea just how much Xavier and the rest of the team already knew about their Canadian member. “Forge, I’m sure if you look closer at those files you find out that he hasn’t been doing any of that for a while now. Not for the last ten to fifteen years. Not since his government turned him into a lab rat and chopped him up for experiments.”

Forge scoffed. “You can’t possibly trust him.”

Scott felt himself getting defensive. “I do. And not just because he’s been a help to the team but because Charles, Jean and Ororo all trust him. He’s one of us.”

“No matter how well behaved a wild animal may be, you don’t invite it into your home.” Forge’s voice was quiet but there was no mistaking the malice in it. It startled Scott a great deal.

Forge was normally very laid back. Very little ever seemed to faze the man and he never lost his cool. But something about Logan was very upsetting to him. So much so that Scott could feel it rolling off of him in waves. And his normal nonchalant manner was being tossed out the window.

Scott wondered just what could possibly be bothering him but couldn’t come up with anything. So he simply filed it away for future reference and stepped closer to older man. “He’s part of the team, Forge. He’s a good guy, despite what he’s done in the past. So I wouldn’t say that too loud if I were you. There are a couple of people here who are rather fond of him.”

This time Forge looked as if he’d swallowed something very unpleasant. “You actually like the guy.”

Without thought or hesitation, Scott nodded. “He’s a friend of mine, yeah. So play nice tonight all right?” After he spoke he realized the truth of his own words.

Somewhere along the line they’d gone from being bitter enemies, to comrades, to friends. He filed that information away as well and walked towards the door. He intended to have a good time tonight, despite Forge or in spite of him. He held the door open, waiting for Forge to make up his mind.

Forge sighed but simply nodded. “Fine. Let’s go.” He did not look happy as he walked through the door.


“So he’s standing there with this thing on his head and he has no idea that its there. The rest of us are just losing it, laughing so hard we can’t even see. And all he can do is just stare at us and say ‘What?’.”

The table broke out into loud peals of laughter at Forge’s story. Even Logan chuckled along with the rest of them. He took a sip of his beer as he contemplated Forge out of the corner of his eye. He had no idea what had been said between Forge and Scott but whatever it was, both Scott and Forge were pissed about it.

They had both come out of the mansion, side by side and silent as they approached the garage. It didn’t take a genius to see the anger between the two as they simply walked into the garage and climbed into one of the larger mansion vehicles. The others had quietly followed suite. The ride to the restaurant had been tense, palpably so. Even Hank, who was often teased about his oblivious nature noticed and the car remained tensely silent.

But the moment the group entered the steak house, Forge’s mood abruptly changed. He flirted with the hostess and waitress as they were seated and their drink orders were taken. And for the past fifteen minutes, he’d been entertaining them with humorous stories about his work and some of his coworkers. Logan found the sudden change in his demeanor a bit disturbing. He took another sip of his beer, Forge’s next words pulling him out of his thoughts.

“I propose a toast.” Forge raised his glass and the rest of them followed suite. “To Jean and Scott and the new addition. May your life continue to be filled with the joy and laughter true happiness brings.”

The five men clinked glasses as each man nodded at the toast. They each drank deeply and for a moment or two there was silence around the table.

Logan glanced surreptitiously at Forge for a moment during this silence. They hadn’t exchanged more than two words since Scott introduced them. Logan felt as if Forge was deliberately ignoring him and he wondered why. Not that he really cared one way or the other, but for his plan to work, he needed Forge’s attention. He couldn’t help but think that Forge’s attitude and the words exchanged earlier between Scott and Forge were tied together somehow; with him smack dab in the middle.

He decided to ask Scott about it later but for now, he decided it was time to grab Forge’s attention and start feeling the man out. And he’d start with their waitress, just now approaching their table with their meals. As she set their meals down, he let his eyes rove over her body, leering as he did so. He saw Forge watching him out of the corner of his eye and let his eyes linger on her ass as she walked away. He turned, seeing Forge watching him and gave the other man a wink as he turned his attention to his meal.

“So how’s the food Logan, steak bloody enough for you?” Forge’s voice floated across the table, a subtle sneer coating it as he watched Logan enjoying his meal.

Logan took another large bite of his steak, talking around the mouthful. “Almost.” He watched as Forge stared at him for a moment longer, an unreadable look on his face before turning to his own meal.

Across from Logan, Warren gave a slight chuckle at the exchange. “Man he must be upset, he’s down to single word responses tonight. Wonder what’s up with him.”

Scott took up the conversation, ribbing Logan a bit as he did so. “Maybe he doesn’t feel like drinking.”

Warren scoffed. “Right, you’ve never seen him drink.”
Scott snorted, taking another sip of his own beer. “Must be nice having a healing factor.” He paused a moment as he met Logan’s gaze.

Logan could clearly see the other man’s eyes behind his ruby quartz glasses and pondered the expression on Scott’s face. Scott was planning something but Logan had no idea what it could be. The taller man’s next words surprised the hell out of him and everyone else at the table.

“No, I think he’s just a bit upset that he’s going to have to stop flirting with Jean.”

There was a slight pause around the table. Everyone seemed to hold their breath for a moment, all for very different reasons. Logan’s attraction to Jean was common knowledge among the adult members of the mansion. But it wasn’t something any of them talked about; at least not when Logan was around. Scott bringing it up now, in front of Forge no less was completely unexpected to say the least.

“Flirting with Jean?” Forge was the first to break the silence.

Logan watched as Scott flashed a subtle hand signal at Warren and Hank, telling them simply to play along. He held his breath waiting for their response.

“Yeah, Logan has a real thing for our red-head.” Warren said as he glanced at Scott, his expression demanding an explanation at the earliest opportunity. He turned his gaze to the feral mutant.

Logan snorted, taking a slug of beer, followed by a rather large bite of steak. He turned steely eyes to Warren. “Can it Feathers. I’m over it.”

Somewhat surprised by the comment, Warren chuckled. “A little feisty tonight Logan. What’s the matter mate, she turn you down yet again?”

Again Logan snorted. “Don’t know ‘bout that. Maybe I’ve just found somethin’ better ta look at.”

This time Scott snorted. “Something better, right.”

Logan turned his attention to him, glad that Scott was playing along. And mentally apologizing beforehand for what he was about to say. “Just cause yer ‘bout ta be leashed don’t mean that the rest of us ain’t lookin’.”

Scott’s reaction was perfect. He went still giving Logan a somewhat blank stare. “Just what’s that supposed to mean?”

“Come on One-Eye, we both know Jean’s got ya on a short leash. Hell the two of ya might as well be joined at the hip yer so damned whipped.” Logan leaned back as the waitress sat another refill down in front of him.

“He’s got a point mate.” Warren pointed to his own glass and sent the waitress off before she overheard too much and decided they were all a bunch of pigs.

“So you’re saying that I wouldn’t even notice another beautiful woman, is that it?” Scott’s voice was filled with anger and sheer disblief.

Warren clapped his hands together softly, mindful not to poke himself with his fork. “The boy is quick. Give him another beer.”

Logan laughed harshly. “I bet ya wouldn’t even notice another beautiful woman if she fell in yer lap, Scooter.”

Warren sniggered just as the waitress walked back up. “Oh he’d notice her all right, long enough to say ‘excuse me ma’am,’ before gallantly helping her to her feet.”

Logan shook his head, ignoring the annoyed look on the waitress’s face as she set down Warren’s drink. “Damned boy scout probably wouldn’t even take a peek down her blouse either.” He caught the flash of irritation on the server’s face as she walked away and mentally decided the woman deserved a huge tip after this.

Scott snorted, continuing to eat. “Just because you’re a letch doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be.”

“Letch nothin’. It’s human nature.” Logan finished off his meal and turned his attention to the rest of his beer. He finished it with a soft belch which caused Forge to wince slightly.

Scott shook his head. “With you, it’s just being a letch.”

Logan held a hand to his chest, pasting a proud expression on his face. He did after all appreciate beautiful women; always had. So he wasn’t speaking too far off base as he explained. “It’s all part of the package. Besides, some women like it.” He indicated the room around them where they could see quite few lovely nicely dressed women. “Why else do they dress in such skimpy outfits? Cause they want us to look. Well, I’m lookin’.”

Again Scott snorted, anger coloring his voice. It was so convincing that for a moment, Logan wondered how much of this was an act to him and how much was just Scott, being himself.

“Scantily clad women in bars aren’t the only ones we’ve caught you looking at. You notice anything in a skirt Logan.”

“There a problem with that?” Logan looked around appearing to gaze at said women but keeping his eyes just above their heads. He might appreciate beautiful women, but he was also spoken for. And while he might look and enjoy the view from time to time, he felt no real desire to leer at or ogle them.

“Guess not; so long as you’re only ‘looking’. Some of them are off limits and way out of your league.”

Everyone oohed around the table as the comment sailed out of Scott’s mouth.

“I think he means Jean.” Hank stage whispered to the winged man sitting next to him.

“You could be right mate.” Warren laughed.

Scott looked at Logan, his face set and stiff. “Jean isn’t the only one out of his league.”

“What’s that supposed ta mean?” Logan’s voice was hard and sharp as steel. He wanted Scott to play along but he wondered just what the damned man was up to.

Scott leaned across the table, lowering his voice slightly but the occupants of the table could still hear him clearly. “I saw you eyeballing Ororo the other day when she was sunbathing by the pool. Seems to me you don’t stand a chance with her.”

Logan snorted, folding his arms across his chest as he leaned away from Scott. “Maybe, maybe not. Never tried ta get her attention before. But now that ya mention it, maybe I should rethink that.” There was a tense pause around the table and Logan threw his hands up in the air. “Oh like the rest of ya haven’t noticed. Come on, she’s hot. Great body, all that hair and damn, that soft skin.” Logan whistled softly and watched Hank and Warren exchange puzzled glances.

Warren shrugged. “She is good to look at but that woman’s got a fierce temper.”

“Yeah but what a way ta go. I bet she’s somethin’ else ‘tween the sheets. Course, you might know somethin’ ‘bout that, wouldn’t ya Forge.”

Forge looked at Logan, his face smooth and unreadable but not quite able to hide the sneer of disdain in his voice. “My apologies, Logan but I will not divulge such personal information to the likes of you.”

Logan leaned forward, giving the other man a smile as he did so. “Come on tin man, it’s just us guys here. Ain’t none of us got a chance with her, spill it.”

Forge stiffened at Logan’s tone. His words were clipped and short. “No, I will not. And I kindly ask you to refrain from speaking of her in that manner. Ororo is a very dignified, sophisticated woman whose reputation should not be sullied about like some harlot by someone who can barely keep his knuckles from dragging on the floor.”

Logan felt the beast snap awake. It had remained dormant the entire time he’d talked to Forge, but now it was awake, restless and angered at the insult. “You better watch what you say tin man. I’ve killed bigger men than you for less. One more dead body won’t mean dick ta me.” Logan could feel the growl fighting to be free but swallowed it down, pushing the beast back.

Forge smiled at Logan. “Yes, I am well aware of your reputation, Wolverine. I’d say it’s rather well earned, don’t you think?” He looked around the table, as if wondering just what the rest of them knew about him.

Logan, reading his intentions chuckled softly. “I don’t hide from my past Forge and I ain’t ashamed of the stuff I done neither. There ain’t any secrets at this table, at least not between me and these guys. Everyone here knows nearly everythin’ ‘bout everybody else.” The others nodded. Logan never took his eyes off of Forge as he spoke. “The only one at this table hidin’ anythin’ is you.”

Forge laughed, the sound brittle and sharp as if forced. “You really think that? You’re paranoid.”

Logan was paranoid. But he also knew that coincidence could only be stretched so far before it snapped and became conspiracy. “Maybe but it still don’t change the fact that yer comin’ here smells kinda funny. Why are ya really here Forge?”

“For exactly what I have said: I came back because I have information for the professor about experiments being performed on mutants. Why else would I come back?” The sneer was back in his voice.

He hadn’t intended to push so far the first time, but he couldn’t resist pushing further to see if the other man broke and revealed too much. He decided to swing the hammer and see where it landed. “Oh, I don’t know, maybe cause ya realize ya lost somethin’ real damned special. Maybe cause ya think ya got a second chance, who knows? I ain’t no telelpath.”

Forge’s lips thinned slightly as he took a deep breath and stood suddenly, ignoring Logan’s comment and his earlier question. He turned to the others, completely ignoring Logan’s presence at the table. “Well, as nice as this been gentlemen, I really must make a couple of calls. I’ll take a cab back to the mansion.” He quickly walked away, only stopping to take care of the bill with the waitress.

Once he’d gone, Scott turned his ire on Logan. “Dammit Logan, what happened to subtle?”

“That guy was pissin’ me off. I just wanted ta rattle his cage a little.” Logan snapped back.

“Yeah, well he knows were onto him now and he’ll be more careful.”

Logan nodded. “Good. I don’t want him sniffin’ ‘round ‘Ro. Now he won’t cause he thinks we’ll be watchin’ him. It’ll keep him on his toes fer a bit.”

Warren cleared his throat gently and Logan and Scott turned to him. “Would someone kindly explain what all that bloody nonsense was about just now?”

Scott sighed, forgetting that Hank and Warren hadn’t been in on the plan. “Forge doesn’t know about Ororo and Logan and she wants to keep it that way for a little while. So we thought it best to warn him that she was off limits to him. But Demolition Man here doesn’t do subtle so well and just basically knocked him over the head with a verbal sledgehammer.”

Hank looked at the two of them in surprise. “He does not know that Ororo and Logan are in a relationship?”

“No, he don’t and it’s goin’ ta stay that way ‘til she says otherwise. So not a peep from anybody, ya got me?” Logan pointed at both of them to get his point across.

Warren held his hands up in surrender. “Loud and clear mate. I don’t want you hunting me down later.”

This time Logan’s laugh was full and rich. “It ain’t me ya gotta worry ‘bout, I could care less. Just remember that if ya let it slip, that white haired she-devil we’re all so fond of will probably go postal on yer ass.” There was a slight twinge around the table. The only thing more legendary than Ororo’s temper was Jean’s. And if the two of them had cause to be angry at any of them and joined forces, they were all toast. Not one of them even wanted to think about Jean’s pregnancy right then.

Hank nodded. “We shall endeavor to keep that in mind.”

Scott nodded, throwing his napkin onto the table. “Good, now let’s go back to the mansion before Jean decides she has to send me downtown for some other weird food craving she’s developed.”


The ride back to the mansion was much less tense without Forge but still just as quiet. As Scott pulled into the garage and parked the car, Logan noticed a new vehicle inside. He grunted at Scott and pointed.

“Isn’t that Remy’s car?” Scott frowned slightly as he looked at the other vehicle.

Warren nodded. “But I thought they were coming back next week.”

“That was the plan, so far as I knew. Wonder what changed the swamp rat’s mind ‘bout comin’ back early.” Logan walked out of the garage, still glancing at Remy’s car as he walked through the door. He was halfway between the mansion and the garage when a high-pitched squeal pierced the air.

“Logan!” Rogue flew into him, nearly knocking him down.

He wrapped his arms around her and managed to brace himself before he hit the ground. He laughed as she hugged him hard enough to make his ribs creak. He pulled back and took a real good look at her, pleased at what he saw. The shadows of tension and pain were still gone from her face; just as they had been the last time he’d seen her. More importantly, her face was free of any grief and her eyes held a very familiar sparkle once again. She looked really good.

He smiled at her and hugged her again. “Hey kid. Yer a sight fer sore eyes.”

She smiled again and let him go. The other members of the team wandered around her, patting her arm or back, welcoming her home before they disappeared inside, leaving the two of them alone.

“Everything’s gonna be all right now Logan. Ya don’t have ta worry about me anymore.” Her voice was soft as she took his hand and squeezed it gently in her own.

Her words brought it all back to the fore front of his mind. In an instant, the memories flashed over him, enveloping him as he relived the worst moments of her life. He’d been so scared that they were losing her, that he would end up breaking his promise to protect her. But she’d made it through, intact and stronger for it. There would always be scars, for both of them; but at least she was still alive.

He reached out and hugged her again, feeling a lump in his throat at her words. “I’ll always worry ‘bout ya Rogue. That’s what family does.” He felt her hug him again just as hard and they stayed that way for several moments. He broke the silence with a question. “What’re you guys doin’ back so soon. We weren’t expectin’ ya till next week.”

Rogue pulled back and this time her face was deadly serious. “Jean called and said that Forge was back. She said we needed ta be here cause she doesn’t trust him. Neither does Remy, so we came home.”

“Speakin’ of the swamp rat, where is he?”

Rogue frowned at the nickname Logan used and nodded her head towards the mansion. “He’s out back. He wants ta talk to ya.”

Logan nodded and walked off. Rogue’s voice stopped him after only a few steps. “Logan? Don’t kill him. He was only looking out for her the only way he knew how. Besides, Ah love the dumb ass.”

He chuckled as he nodded and walked around the back of the mansion. He saw Remy standing off the patio, staring off into the gardens as he smoked a cigarette. Or more accurately, he held a smoking cigarette as it burned itself out in his hand.

The young man looked up at Logan’s approach. He nodded his head and turned his attention back to the garden, his face thoughtful and quiet.
Logan stood next to him, waiting for Remy to break the silence, pulling out a cigar for himself. He looked out across the gardens and simply stood there and relaxed while he smoked his cigar and waited. After a few moments, Remy finally greeted him.

“Logan.” He dropped the cigarette to the ground, stepping on it with his foot as he crushed its burning tip with his shoe.

“Remy.” He took a deep puff on his cigar and waited. But after several long moments of silence, it seemed to Logan that Remy wasn’t about to say another word. So, in the interest of time and having things he’d much rather be doing, Logan decided to speed things along. “’Ro told me ‘bout yer talk in the swamp.”

Remy nodded seemingly not surprised. “Remy expected she would.” Again there was silence.

Logan drew a deep breath, fighting his irritation. He was finding it very difficult to even attempt a farce of patience with the other man. He didn’t even really want to talk to him. All he really wanted to do was go upstairs, find Ororo and settle in for the night. Knowing that a few hours spent in her soothing presence was just what the doctor ordered after his encounter with Forge.

But Remy was proving uncooperative to say the least. And Logan simply didn’t care to beat around the bush about the issue that stood between them, so he decided not to. With a rough growl, he broke the silence.

“Look, we could spend the rest of night out here tip toeing ‘round the shit that’s between us. But honestly, I’ve filled my quota fer the year. I’ve got more important things ta take care of. So why don’t ya drop the martyr act and get ta the reason ya came back.”

“Jean told Remy dat Forge is back.” Remy turned to look at Logan for a moment.

Logan nodded. “Yeah he is.”

Remy shook his head. “Remy does not like dis.”

Logan could see very well that Remy did not like the idea of Forge coming back into Ororo’s life. The younger man was tense and his scent reeked with anger. But Logan also didn’t trust the sudden change of heart Remy was showing. When last they spoke, Remy would have gladly taken Logan apart if given the chance. Hell he’d already attacked him once without provocation. Logan simply wasn’t ready to believe that Remy had changed his mind so soon after that, no matter what he might have said to Ororo.

“Neither do I. But what’s that gotta do with ya? We both know ya don’t like me either. So what do ya care if she goes back to him? God knows he’d be a much better choice for her then me in yer mind. So why come back when Jean called?”

“Because she asked Remy to come. And because Remy does not like da man.” Remy’s tone was patronizing, as if he were trying to explain something complicated to a small child.

Logan growled slightly in warning. “And I’m supposed ta believe that you’ve had a change of heart about me and you’re now willin’ ta look past yer hatred of me ta keep Forge from gettin’ ta Ororo?”

Remy nodded. “Oui.” Just a single word.

Logan waited, hoping for more of an explanation than that but it wasn’t forth coming. He snorted, taking a last drag on his cigar before grinding it against the heel of his boot. “I think you’ve been spendin’ too much time down in that swamp Cajun. The fumes have finally gotten to ya.”

“Remy does not expect you to understand.” He turned away from Logan, his attention going again to the gardens.

Logan sighed and stepped up to the younger man, looking out across the grounds, his eyes looking past the gardens to a point far off in the distance that only he could see. He knew very well how Remy was feeling.

Remy was Ororo’s brother and that kind of bond, at least in the younger man’s mind, should always take precedence over anything going on in her life at that moment. But it wasn’t working out that way for Remy or Ororo. Because she had fallen in love and found someone to join her family. Whether Remy liked him or not was not even being taken into account and in his mind, he was insulted that his opinion, his advice as Ororo’s brother had been ignored.

So, he did the only thing he knew to do: he forced Ororo to make a choice fully expecting her to turn her back on what she felt for Logan and beg his forgiveness for her lapse in judgment. But it hadn’t gone down that way and now, faced with a real emotional threat to his sister he was being forced to swallow his pride and attempt to undo the damage he’d inflicted with his actions.

Logan could well understand and even sympathize with the turmoil the other man was feeling. He’d been there enough himself in the past that it felt like coming home in a very strange sense.

“The sad part is I do understand Remy, I really do. Ya want to protect her and keep her safe and ya figure I’m the lesser of two evils.” Remy nodded. “Well I got news for ya Swamp Rat, if ya think doin’ this is gonna somehow change things ‘tween the two of you or us, I got news for ya: it ain’t.” He didn’t look at Remy as he spoke but simply watched him out of the corner of his eyes.

Remy looked puzzled. “Remy doesn’t understand dat.”

“Ya can’t have it both ways Remy. Ya can’t ask her ta make a choice in one breath and vow to protect her honor in the next. Ya decide ta do this, it has to be for real, all the way, no holds barred. I need ya ta help me but I don’t want ya here if yer only doin’ it cause ya think that somehow after yer done with Forge, ya can turn yer attention back ta drivin’ me off.” Logan waited, giving the young man a moment or two to think.

“Remy does not want Forge in her life. And if da man t’inks dat he has a chance wit her, he is sorely mistaken. Even a blind gator can see dat she is far gone on you. Even Remy can see dat.” He spoke softly but firmly and when he’d finished he turned to look back over the gardens again.

For a moment, Logan can’t hide his surprise and he simply stared at Remy in shock. He saw the muscles along Remy’s jaw clenching and relaxing and realized in that moment just how much it had cost the other man to say those words to someone he really did not like. In that moment, Logan’s respect for Remy jumped up several notches and the biting remark he’d been about to make died on his lips before it ever formed. Instead, he cast aside the tally of debt between them and extended the flag of truce towards Ororo’s brother.

“Fair enough. Come on, we’ve got some plannin’ ta do.”


Logan and Remy went inside the mansion fully intending to talk about Forge and how to best go about discouraging his interest in Ororo. But the idea went up in smoke the moment they entered the school to find Ororo, Betsy, Jean and Rogue eating in the kitchen. A few seconds later, Hank, Scott, Warren and the professor showed up and they found themselves in the middle of an impromptu welcome home party. Resigning themselves to it, they simply joined the others and spent the next couple of hours reconnecting with the other members of the mansion.

It was nearly midnight before the party broke up and everyone began drifting off to go to bed. However, Logan and Remy did make plans with Scott to meet the following day and go over strategy to keep Forge at bay. And with that decided, Logan feigned exhaustion and dragged Ororo away from the table and up to her quiet room.

Once there, Logan lay on the bed, waiting for Ororo to finish her nightly ritual before she joined him.

“I take it from your expression, it did not go well.” Her voice echoed from the bathroom as finished brushing her teeth and stepped out into the room.

He shook his head, his hands tucked behind his head as he lounged on the bed. “No, it went ‘bout like I expected. Though I might have tipped our hand.”

She walked over to the bed and sat down on it, facing him. “He saw through it?”

Logan shook his head, letting his hand drop down to grab one of her own. “Not exactly.” He spent the next few minutes telling her what happened.

As he finished, she stood, rolling her eyes and walked to the door to check one last time that they had locked it. “I agree with Scott on this one Logan, you lack subtly.” She came back towards the bed, her nightshirt barely covering her to mid thigh.

Logan watched the view of her walking back to him and growled in appreciation. “How the hell was I supposed ta be subtle? He’s gunning fer my woman.”

She sat on the bed again as he turned to her, an incredulous look on her face. “Your woman?”

He reached out to grab her hand again, ignoring her offended tone. “Yeah, or did ya forget that conversation we had on New Year’s Eve in that damned club?” He kissed her hand, holding it against his chest, forcing her to move closer.

She came willingly, fitting herself against him, never taking her eyes from his. “No I have not forgotten. Do you want to know the one thing I really liked about that conversation?”

He grinned as she moved against him. “What’s that?”

“How it ended.”

Her passion filled whisper reached his ears and sparked his already smoldering libido. He reached up to pull her more firmly against him, smiling as he did so. “As I recall there was a bunch of kissin’ and we ended up in bed together. Is that how yer expectin’ tonight ta end?”

She smiled, her eyes sparkling with passion. “How perceptive of you Logan. Are you sure you are not a telepath?”

He chuckled as his hands began a lazy exploration. “Darlin’, I don’t need to be a telepath fer that. I can hear yer heart beatin’ and smell yer heat from across the room.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her suggestively. “How’s ‘bout we see if we can make it rain?”

She chuckled, rubbing her nose against his as the excitement built between them. “I really should not encourage you.” She touched her lips gently to his as his hands began moving higher.

He pulled back slightly, pulling the nightshirt up with him as he went, watching as the flush of arousal began to wash over her. He could hear her heartbeat speed up as well and feel the heat coming off of her in waves. He reached out to touch her again, watching her shudder at the sensation. “No, you shouldn’t. But since yer willin’, forget the rain. Let’s make it snow!” Her laughter rang in his ears as he let their lips meet once more, sending them both off into oblivion.





You must login () to review.