Standing at the shrine of a fallen friend Robert Grayson just stares at the grave marker….It has felt as though it was an eternity since last he saw her smile. They had been friends for so long, best friends in fact He missed her more than he ever thought he would have, more than he did any other. He remembers the day of her funeral, when he and Remy had argued…
“ I loved her too.” Remy had said. Did he really know how Bobby had felt? She was his best friend and though he often denied the fact, he loved her much more than a “sister”.
The problem was he was afraid to ever act on it, he looked back on his love life and remembered she was always there to hear him talk about it all. He would listen to her as she would complain about Terry, Remy, and Peter. He smiled slightly though his eyes were covered in sorrow.

“You remember when those gods of yours took control of the Hyena, Scarecrow and Viper? When I came in and…” His eyes looked up to the sky of orange, purple and red as the autumn sun crested behind the trees “ defeated that gorgon? You put on those earrings and made the crack about “your accessorizing?” You replied about me spending an hour doing the same when I was the first Sparrow. Then you turned and asked if I was sure about going with you? Then you grabbed my hand and said “I love you” and I replied I love you too. I don’t know about the way you meant it Kitty but I meant it the way it sounded. I never told you because I didn’t want to hurt you or me getting hurt and loosing our friendship that meant so dear to me. I stand here now realizing that I now know why it never worked with anyone else from Kory to Marie to Carol.” A tear cascades down his cheek. “ I loved you and though I did love them all I couldn’t be fully with them. Even though Marie came close.” He mused.

“ She knows Robert.” A voice came from behind him. He normally would have heard someone this close but since Kitty’s death his life slowly spiraled down. Marie’s and his break-up, his removal as leader of the Riders, the death of his enemy, his “relationship” with Torrent, and His eventual departure from Westchester back to New Gotham.

The woman’s voice so much like Kitty’s. He slightly turns his head and speaks low….He wasn’t in the mood for company and didn’t want to hear it from anyone.

“Evening Amazon.”

“Call me Ororo.” The tall, beautiful warrior woman with white hair walks closer to him.

“Why are you here Ororo?” Bobby said using “the voice”

Ororo smirked slightly at the sound of his voice. So like Darkclaw’s at that moment. It was strange the way he was always so strong, so confident, a warrior born.

“Actually he would say “Why are you here Princess?” as she mimicked Darkclaw’s voice.

Bobby turned his head back to the grave and grimaced. “ Logan sent you here didn’t he?”

“ He asked if I would talk to you yes. But I come here a lot Robert, he didn’t send me here or anywhere.” Her tone now slightly serious and distant.

“I know. I’ve seen you here.” He answered as he began to turn and walk away.

“Do you know everything like….Logan?” Ororo asks as she sees Bobby beginning to leave.

“He doesn’t know everything Ororo.” Bobby answers grimly. “It was my fault Ororo, you know. She was trying to save my life when she was killed. If anyone it should have been me.” She could hear tears just below the surface.

“It wasn’t yours Robert. She was trying to save someone she loved.” Ororo looked at the grave marker…”It would have torn out her heart if you had died. Like it is yours.”
Tears coming to the surface.

“Not as much as it hurts me.” Bobby replied under his breath. At that moment, Ororo felt a rage burst forth as she grabbed Bobby by his jacket, hoisting him off the ground. Anger in her eyes, fury in her words and tears…..

“HOW DARE YOU! SHE LOVED YOU MORE THAN ANY MAN IN HER LIFE! HOW DARE…” Lightning flashes, clouds transform into dark visions of Armageddon. She lowered him down “you.” Her tears flowing down her face. Her anger gone, replaced with enough sorrow to break a hundred hearts. “Maybe if you where there instead of Samual she would have had a better ability of herself.”

Looking down at the ground tears fell down his face as he realized what Ororo was saying. Kitty had loved him as he loved her and he knew her better than anyone did. It made the loss a little heavier now. He reached out to Ororo and hugged her. They both missed Kitty, more than they truly realized. After a moment, they both stopped and pulled away from each other.

“Do you want to get some drinks and talk about her.” Replied Bobby.

“Are you make a pass at me Robert? What would your father say?” Ororo said as she laughed a little making a joke.

“No and I think Logan would kill me.” Bobby said dryly.

……………………………………..

A few hours later the two were sipping wine in a restaurant laughing at stories of Kitty.
Bobby had told her about the time that they were in the desert and left Gill in the sun for a while and the look that followed. Ororo told him of a time after Kitty and Peter broke up and she threw him out.

“You know the only reason she even began dating him was because he resembled you.” Ororo said laughing a little louder.

“I kissed Marie because she had the same fire Kitty did.” Confessed Bobby.

Ororo stopped laughing and placed her hand on his knee, looked into his eyes and said
“She really did love you Bobby.”

“I know, as much as he loves you.” Bobby said with somber eyes.

“What? Who?” Ororo was taken back for a moment. “Logan? No, were just friends, we spoke about it.”

“Ororo I know the man better than anyone and he does love you. He just won’t admit it. He’s afraid like I was with Kitty. I also think like Kitty loved me you love him.”

“How could you know that Bobby?” Ororo replies feeling her heart drop in her throat.

“Kitty was your avatar. She felt things from you as you felt those things from her.”

With this Bobby got up and as he began to walk away he said….

“Thank you Ororo. Also thank Logan for me too. I didn’t bring him back to waste it.”

He left her there in silence.





You must login () to review.