“Wind’s died down again.”
“Yeah, let’s see what we can do about that….”


“You can’t tell me you haven’t been feeling what I have, Logan! The last few months, the two of us have….”


“I don’t want you getting mixed up in my old battles again.”
“Is that really why you want me to go….or are you just afraid I’ll tell your wife about the time you and I kissed?”


“ORORO!!”


--

“ORORO!!”

His heart thumping against his Adamantium ribcage, Logan burst through the doors of the mansion infirmary, his wild eyes dancing all over the place to finally settle on the woman for whom he literally blazed through the Westchester county countryside. On his way back from the bar, he was about twenty miles away when a hail-rain-snow mix storm appeared out of thin air. For anyone else it might have been a freak weather occurrence, but for a man who had seen this more times the bothered to count, it was a clear indication that whatever it was, it wasn’t good….hence his current behavior.

“Logan…” even as the words left her lips, Ororo rushed towards him, throwing her arms around him and holding on for dear life, Logan’s own arms automatically going around her. The fact that he was soaked to the bone and smelling of alcohol and burnt tobacco did not matter to her…especially given the current situation.

Tearing his eyes from the door in front of which most of the x-men were stationed, he turned sideways and looked down at Ororo, his anger rising at the tear stains on her face.

“What happened?” He finally asked, but not before making sure that Ororo was fine. If anyone had done anything to her…. ‘Fuck, shoulda been here,’ he cursed himself. With that stranger in the house, what did he do? Tucked his tail and ran to the farthest hole he could think off.

Even though her tears were more a silent stream than outright sobs, Ororo took the time to compose herself, using only one hand, not letting go of Logan…almost as if she expected/feared him to vanish into thin air.

“’Ro…” stepping back, around a corner, away from the eyes of the Kurt, Bobby, Rogue and Piotr, Logan cradled Ororo’s chin and lifted it up so that they were looking eye to eye.
“Something’s wrong with her…with that Ororo…..” the younger of the two Storms finally managed to get out.
“What happ…” Logan started to speak.

“….and with the Professor.”

---

“Kurt, get us to the infirmary. NOW.”

Those were the last words Jean, Scott and Ororo heard as Kurt teleported Xavier and the near unconscious and convulsing (older) Ororo. In fact those were the last words they had heard from their mentor since, for arriving at the infirmary, with the rest of their teammates close behind them, they were in for yet another shock….along with Ororo, Xavier too had lost consciousness.

With Scott working on the Professor, Kitty handling the computer systems, and Jean on Ororo, the three had manage to stabilize the two patients and were in the process of running various tests on them. Jean had even tried to contact Xavier telepathically, but to no avail. However, they weren’t giving up, and tapping into a neurosurgeon located about thirty-five miles away, Jean was running yet another battery of tests, this time only on the Professor. She did not chance them with the new Ororo, both because of her current physical state and because of the mental barriers that she had faced during her earlier tries….the same barriers that were still active.

---

“…and they have been trying to get through to the Professor,” Ororo finished recounting it to Logan, both of them sitting on the ground, able to see the door but still out of sight from the others.

His arm draped across the Nubian beauty’s shoulders Logan couldn’t help but notice the frown on her face.
“And…” he asked knowing that there was something else that was on her mind apart from Xavier and that other Ororo’s condition.
“And?” Ororo looked up, her frown getting more pronounced with more than a hint of confusion.
“Yer not tellin’ me something,” Logan was straight to the point. “She say somethin’ to you?” He implied towards their guest.
“No, no,” that got a quick negative answer. “She was….is good. Its just that…that…it was…is nice to have someone like that…I mean we barely know her but seeing her, spending time with her…it feels like….”
“Feels like family,” Logan sounded her unspoken words. He knew Ororo was an orphan and even though he remembered jack about his own family, his supposed wife, and even though he had done his best to convince others and even himself that he didn’t need all the hassle, once in a while….the feeling did raise its head. And it had gotten only more pronounced ever since he joined these group of freaks.

At first he had thought that he would be able to fit in, after all they were mutants too….just like him, but that was his mistake one which swore to never make again. They were nothing like him and he wasn’t anything like them either. He was a cold blooded killer, fit for only one thing…ending life. So he left them alone and they returned the favor for him, all of them…except this kid…this woman sitting now next to him. Sitting as they were, even though it was tense time, it was the closest thing he had ever had to friendship….no…to companionship….to lo….

“You know she told me about herself and her Logan,” Ororo started again. “She told about how they got together, how they decided to start a family, they way they are making their small home within the mansion….”
Not knowing what to say Logan kept silent but firmed his grip and drew Ororo closer to him, resting her head against his shoulder and resting his head over it.
“She was going to tell me about he proposed to her…” Ororo trailed off towards the end of the sentence, staying silent for a few seconds before speaking again, her next words coming like a bolt from the blue for Logan.

“You…you love her.”

---

Across the dimensional barrier,

“Anything Henry?” It was late at night as Charles entered the infirmary, his wheelchair making nary a noise but still sounding loudly in the near silent lab.

One look and he knew all he needed to know and that too without having to use his telepathy.

“Nothing.” As it was just Xavier, Henry spoke the truth…in his true voice and not the hopeful tone he had been using with Rogue, Jubilee and the others. Almost three days of non-stop work on his part, not to mention the hours that the other volunteers put in and still all the x-men had to show were Wolverine’s DNA…his blood over various test samples. Given Logan’s style and the enemies he went up against, this was something that was not only expected but the norm. More than any other team member it was Logan who went through uniforms almost as quickly as they came in. The longest one set lasted was three mission and the shortest…well, on one particularly long mission, one lasting almost three days, he had three changes before finally giving up and going back to jeans and a t-shirt, which, like the others were ruined by the time they finally got back to Westchester.

“We even managed to get hold of the machine Magneto had built, and I have run every test, taken it apart and put it back together and still nothing. I just cannot explain how and where Logan and Ororo vanished too….or what happened to them…or whether they are even alive anymore.”

Silence reigned once again as both men realized the possible futility of their efforts. As with Henry, Xavier and Jean for that matter, had pushed themselves to the point where their minds couldn’t take the load of using Cerebro….and just like the Doctor, they took had come out empty handed.

“We have to tell the others,” the older man finally spoke, his voice sounding years older and even more tired. Ororo had been among this first batch of students, and even though Logan had been a relatively new addition, he too had grown to become a member of their family.

“Rogue…” the name came out by itself. It was only an hour ago that Henry had forced the young woman out of the lab with strict instructions to get at least eight hours of sleep before showing up on even on the same level as the infirmary.
“I’ll….I think you should be the one to talk to her,” Xavier realized that coming from him it might seem as giving up, but coming from Beast it wouldn’t seem like a ‘cop-out’….at least not in Rogue’s eyes.

“I’ll…do it,” Henry nodded his head. As Xavier turned towards the door, “Charles…” he called out to him.
“Yes Henry….”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry we wouldn’t find them.”
“I’m sorry too….” The telepath answered over his shoulder.

“…I’m sorry for all of us.”


----

Elsewhere,

“Hey.”
“Hey. You’re back and from the looks of it with a successful catch.”

“Yup. Got a young buck today. Should last us for some time. You sure you don’t wanna…eat….”
“You know I don’t.”

“Huhn. Thought so.”
“Don’t worry my love. Everything will be fine soon.”

“I…I…yeah. But I miss you ‘Ro…”

Closing his eyes and letting his other senses span out, Logan felt the cool yet somehow heart warming breeze wash over him.

“I still feel you....but…really miss touchin’ you.”


Note: Its been really long since I updated this fic. I just haven’t been writing all that much…kinda have had a lull going on. But with ‘Y&T’ finally managed to get some gears turning, finally managing to get a few ideas for this too.

Spoilers: Ultimate X-Men #51, #52, #59, #60.

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.