“Oh sorry, didn’ see ya there?”

Walking into the mansion’s kitchen, Logan was surprised to see someone already there, not because of their presence, but because of the time. At almost 2 AM, Rogue was the last person he expected to run into.

Merely nodding in answer he trudged towards one of the two industrial capacity refrigerators neatly lined up against each other. One yank and he ducked his head inside to get something to eat. What he really wanted and could definitely use was a beer or dozen, but given Xavier’s no-booze rule, he settled for whatever he could get his hands on.

“How’s the Professah doin’?” The question told him that the girl was still there and hadn’t left the room as he thought she would. Normally he would have smelled her or heard her breathing or even her heart beat, but after almost seventy hours of no sleep, he was working on preserve mode, in the sense that he not quite all there….not unless he was in the infirmary. There, he had been firing on all thrusters, his ears, nose and eyes trained on the two people there….and also on one third, the one who was still on his thoughts.

“Same.” His answer was short and pithy as he began shoveling huge spoonfuls of whatever chicken preparation he had got his hands on. He had given himself a fifteen minute break, and wanted to make the best of it.

“And Ororo?” Rogue’s pulling up a chair to settle down across the table surprised him. What was her deal? If she wanted to know about something, why not just go to the infirmary and check herself? After all, hadn’t she had her duty until a few hours ago?

About to respond as with the previous question, he stopped at the last second, grunting a noncommittal, ‘which one?’ for her to specify which Ororo she was talking about?

“Both.”

“One unconscious, one sleeping.” ‘There,’ thought Logan. Maybe now she would leave….only she didn’t. Instead, her hands lifted to rest on the table top, a deliberate action to draw his attention.


“Logan,” this time when she spoke, Rogue’s voice was heavy with an accent…her original accent, not the mixed one she sometimes used nowadays, one that was a weird mixture of hers and that Cajun, Gambit.

“Whatd’ya want?” Snapping as was his habit, he frowned at the way she flinched slightly in her chair. Fuck. What was wrong with him? What had she done to get this from him?

Seeing her move to get up and leave, he reached forward, grasping her bare hand to stay her down. Even though her mutation never troubled him, not even when her skin was ‘on’ permanently, it still felt odd how it had changed when she absorbed the Cajun. When she got his powers…permanently, all the previous ones she had absorbed went away, as did the ‘do not touch’ factor of her skin.

“What happened?” This time he spoke with a soft tone, or as soft as he could manage, his finger still rounded in an Adamantium grip around her arm.

“Nothin’.” A raised eyebrow accompanied by a growl told her to try again, with the truth this time. “Ah’m sorry.”

“Hn.” This he did not expect. Well, to be frank he did not know what he expected. That Rogue was talking to him outside the team sessions was surprising enough. Now she was apologizing to him! Had it been any other time or for that matter anyone else, that person would have spent some time thinking about it. But this was not anyone else. “What fer?”

“For…for sayin’ all those things to you. Sorry foh thaht,” the southerner apologized again. “Ah didn’ know about ya. Ororo told me…”
“Told you what?” The food forgotten, Logan intently looked at his young teammate. Still in the dark about the reason for her apology, he guessed that it must have been something that happened after the arrival of that other Ororo. ‘Ororo.’ Which Ororo was she talking about?
“Thaht…thaht you thought of me as…as yer younger sister.” It was clear that even as she uttered the words that a battle was going on inside her…one between hope for a sort of family no matter how odd it might be, and fear….fear of what if he longer felt that way. After all the things that she had said to him, calling him an animal, she could not fault him if he felt otherwise.

From the tense silence she got in return, she assumed the worse and started to move again, only to have Logan firm his grip. They stayed like that for a few seconds her eyes still not meeting his. Even though it wasn’t like she was crying or would break down if it turned her down, she wanted a chance to set things right between them….especially after what the other Ororo had told her about the familial relations between the Rogue and Wolv….Logan on the other side.

Finally letting her go, Logan stood up, emptied the half eaten contents of his plate, crushed the can and turned back to face Rogue, staring at her trying to gather words to say something…anything. He did not what to do? He did not do elder brother? Heck, he did not do anything family? He just knew that like others, it would be nice if he also had one of his own….even if it wasn’t blood related.

Walking up to Rogue, he rested his hand on her head, caressing her soft brown hair as she looked up at him.

His lips twitching in the barest of ghost of a smile, he said the only thing he could to try to lift her spirits.

“Brother-Sister huh?” Rogue numbly nodded her head, her red-black eyes twinkling with barely contained tears. “So, if the Icepop hurts you, I get to beat him up?”

Even though his words were spoken lightly, Rogue caught the hidden meaning in them. Logan was reminding him of what…who he was and of his nature…and by doing that giving her the final choice to her. He was who he was and it was up to her to decide if she wanted to accept that as family….as an elder brother.

“Okay…” she lifted her hand to his. “…but only in front of meh.”

“You got it kid,” this time Logan did smile, as he helped his new sister up, his arms going around her as she hugged him, tightly, her tears finally escaping down her cheeks.

Minutes later, as they left the kitchen, each going their own way, they held a little more light, a little more warmth than they had from a few minutes ago.

However, as he neared the infirmary, the crease on Logan’s temple returned again, especially when his eyes fell on the sleeping figure on the make shift bed. Their last conversation was still weighing on him. It was because of things like this that he never got close or even tried to do so with anyone else. No friends, no family, no one to lo…no one to care for…nothing. It was not for him. Even if this other Logan, the one the other Ororo talked about, even if he had managed to…even if he managed to do whatever he did, it did not mean that he could also do it…that he was as lucky as him.

‘You love her.’ That was Ororo had said…asked. Even though he had not answered her, everything that had happened since told him that she had taken his silence as a yes…and as a result had stepped back….withdrawn from him. The truth was he did not answer because he did not have an answer….not yet. He did not know if he loved her….either her. He wanted one, he had got her, even if it was for a short time. The reason he was still hung up…stuck on her was because she was the first to turn her back from him, she left him, she did what he was used to do…what he was supposed to do. Or maybe he did love her. Who knew?

And maybe because of this he not allowing himself to move on….maybe with Ororo. What if she too saw him for he was, the truth of what he was.

What if they got together…and she too left him?

He had spent his entire remembered life alone and as much as he would deny it, even to himself, it pained him…even him.

Not only that, but he feared it…feared it from the bottom of his cold, bitter heart.

---

However all this and other actions that he had in mind would take a backseat not even an hour later…once Xavier started to emerge from his inexplicable comatose state.

And the equally unconscious older Ororo started to fade….literally.


Note: Sorry for the short ‘not-exactly’ RoLo idea. Will get to that soon…including what happened b/w Xavier and Ororo, how it affected the younger Ororo and more importantly what is happening to the older one now. Also, movie Logan finally gets more than a guest appearance.

Spoilers: Ultimate X-Men #54, Ultimate X-Men Annual #1

I am getting the hits but very few reviews!! Even if its bad, I seriously need it with the downer that is currently going on with MU. Heck, just checked on newsarama and it looks like Storm will cause a pilot's death in BP#15. Now, that just SUCKS A$$!!

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.