18. Their Story

Summary:
Its all RoLo…the ‘older’ ones. Finally, their story.


“Hmm-Ummm. Hmph.”

Fishing, well, mostly lounging, his back against the trunk of tree, under whose shade he was sitting, Logan, the Wolverine was enjoying the cool weather, the fishing limited to the rod in his left hand and the line cast a few feet away.

It wasn’t like he needed it anymore…or before. Most of his fishing he did with his claws, after all, for a born and bred hunting animal, be it above water or below it, it was a simple question of the hunter and the hunted, predator and prey…him and his prey.

However, at that moment, it wasn’t the fish that had his attention. Nor the play fighting just a few hundred feet away, they too feeling frisky under the clear blue sky. What had his attention, his entire being tied into one single thing, was her…at Ororo. Or rather the humanoid ‘ghost’ that she now was. Sitting just a few feet from him, still in her ethereal form, her eyes closed, Ororo was lost deep in meditation.

It had been almost three months since the first time she and Logan has ‘met’ on the same slopes as where their were living now. He had been so lost that he had all but forgotten himself and everyone, everything else too….all except her.

His recovery had been painstaking slow…at first, until suddenly one morning, one after a particularly harrowing night, it was as if nothing had changed. He was just as he had been before he and Ororo were sent over to this world, to this time, before they lost each other, before both of them changed to the way they were now.

Just like Ororo, Logan too had undergone a lot of change, both internal and external. Although his physical changes weren’t as drastic as hers, they were clearly visible…at least with his shirt off. Faint stripes had appeared over his upper back and arms. These stripes, of the same color as the color of his eyes, were not set in their color and depending on his emotional state they varied from a deep brown to a bright red. As did his eyes.

---

Unfortunately, things hadn’t been as easy for Ororo. Not only was she not able to solidify herself, she wasn’t even able to physically touch anything….not even him, not even her Logan.

Hence her meditation to try to collect and center herself.

His gaze passing over her, Logan took the time to marvel at her beauty. Even now, even in this form, she was as breathtaking as ever…only different. Where there had been smooth expanses of mocha skin, there was now, a shimmer of a mixture of what looked like clouds, fog and suspended raindrops, her long silvery tresses replaced by soft, fresh snow, their rise and fall reminding him of a the waterfalls that were fed not pure glacier water. Still, among all this beauty, there was one thing that captivated Logan the most, and that was warmth that seemed to flow out of her. It was this same warmth that had drawn him when he was just an animal, its fresh flowers and rain damped earth fragrance, surrounding him, giving him an instant feeling of peace, of love…of her.

Continuing down the soft swells and falls, Logan stopped, lingering at her the prominent swell of her belly. At almost seven months pregnant, Ororo was clearly showing now, causing both parents much anticipation and worry about the fate of their children. Not only was she intangible, Ororo wasn’t even eating or drinking anything, neither for her own nourishment or for the children. And yet, even in her ethereal form she had the glow of an expectant mother. How this was happening, how any of it was happening was something that neither of them tried to think too much about. All that mattered to them was that they were with each other. Not knowing if and when they would get to go back to their world, they were trying to make the best of the loop that life had thrown at them.

---

Leveraging his hand, and turning around completely, Logan rose into a crouched position, moving slowly so as not to disturb Ororo’s concentration.

Such was the stealth of his movements, so strong had it become, that it was not ‘practically’ but absolutely, hundred percent undetectable.

With the grace of a large cat, his bare feet making not a single sound, Logan inched forward until he reached near and finally settled down next to Ororo’s still form. Sitting on his haunches and maintaining his silence he raised his hand to her, time standing still, as moving as slow as a snail, anticipatory fingers leaned in until there was barely a millimeter of space between her oddly ‘settled’ mist and his warm smooth skin.
This wasn’t the first time that he was doing this, although as with every other time, he wished that it were the last…that this would be the time that Ororo would be able to attain and hold her tangible form, that it would not lead to failure as with every single previous try.

Still holding the breath that he hadn’t realized about yet, the minutest of flex at the knuckle joint and suddenly, just like that, for the first time in seemingly forever, Logan achieved physical contact with Ororo.

Not wanting to startle her and cause her to loose her concentration but unable to let go, especially now, a second finger leaned in to rest beside the first, with a third and fourth ones following it, and then the thumb and palm, until finally Logan had his hand flat against warm, soft…skin.

A slightest of shimmer and Logan fought hard to contain the imploring growl he almost let out. Even though he had gained control of his faculties, there was a large part of him that still hungered for the wild. The way his inner Wolverine was now and the way it had been before the change, it was like comparing (that) Wolverine with Scooter. While before he used to have an understanding, a feeling of camaraderie with the animal kingdom, now he was downright at home in it, his abrupt power surge allowing him to literally communicate with the animals and to an extent….even make them do his bidding, not by telepathic control but by a sense of being the alpha, the leader of the pack. Only this pack included not only one kind, one species, but practically every animal in the surrounding areas…at least the ones living on and around these hills.

Another shimmer and that growl that was threatening earlier finally did escape, though from the lack of change in Ororo’s constitution, it wasn’t loud enough to disturb her….or so he thought, until his peripheral vision detected a movement, his eyes moving first in that direction, and then upwards, meeting the summer sky blue orbs of the weather goddess. Though not of the same blue as her usual sapphire, they were nevertheless beautiful, just because they were hers.

“Logan.” That single whispered word carried a world of emotion…of love, as did the hand that came up to caress his whiskered cheeks, this time…finally being able to make contact and not just have it pass and flow, over and around him.

“Ororo.” Sighed Logan, instinctively leaning into her touch, solid and warm once again.

Nothing else was said, no other move made.

Just him with his hand on her arm and she with hers on his cheek.

It would be a long time before Ororo would be able to maintain solid form for longer period of time, and even longer until she would able to transform to her blood, skin and hair state and not only hold it but make it her primary form…the one she could maintain in her sleep too.

Yet. Right then, neither of them thought anything about it. Neither did they care. What mattered to them at that moment was the joy of being able to touch each other once again.

The moment that lasted all of five minutes.

---

A few weeks down the line,

“Lo-GA….UHHhnn,” Ororo’s cry of trailed away, as did the pain shooting through her body, the moment of respite not lasting long as yet anther contraction hit her, affecting not only her but also the veritable storm outside. “Its hurts Logan…It hur-aaARRGGHH.”

Luckily for them, they had been just outside the small one room cabin that Logan had built for them. While at first he was content to live out in the cave that he had taken shelter in, the wolves there keeping his company, Ororo’s showing up and his recovery following it had spurred him to make some arrangements, both for her and for the babies.

All that did not matter right now, because with the way the weather was swirling out of control, the fate of the cabin did not look all that bright.

“’Ro.” Her name sounded up from the growl that had been rumbling in Logan’s chest for quite some time now. Feeling completely out of his depth, even with all the preparation that Ororo had made him do, he was wishing, not for the first time that they were back home, with Hank and Jean to help them through this. He was no Doctor, not by a long shot. Heck, he wasn’t even a midwife. In all his years on the road, the ones that he remembered, he might have seen and learned many things, but delivering a baby let alone two, learning that skill never caught his attention.

And the way Ororo was now, barely able to hold onto her physical form, he sure as hell couldn’t take her to a ‘normal’ hospital, not without putting both her and the children in danger.

“’Ro.” He growled again, grabbing at anything to help her. “Hang…hang on darlin’. Won’t be long now. Everythin’ will be…”
“You say ‘fine’ once more and I promise you I will strike…” Ororo snarled at him, somehow managing it through her pain, and even before the last words ‘you down’ left her lips, as if drawn by her words, lightening shot out from her hands, and Logan lit up like a Christmas tree….literally.


“LOGAN!!” Ororo cried out, shocked at her actions. “Logan are you….aahhh.” Her own body writhed in pain…something that hadn’t happened to her ‘healing’ mate.
“Yeah darlin’, am fine. Remember, healing factor?” Logan answered pushing himself off the ground to return to her side. “And with this new one, don’t even haveta wait no more.”

And that was yet another change brought upon him. As with his other powers, his healing factor, already formidable had seemingly been supercharged…multiple times over. Not only had the rate of healing been speeded up, the time lag reduced to practically non-existent, even the pain that came from being hurt was all but gone, the healing taking care of that too, but treating the pain as yet another wound and healing it too. In its current iteration, it had made the Wolverine all but indestructible, with even a lightening strike, one that should have knocked him out for good, doing nothing except launching him off his feet, and that just because of the force and not anything else.

“I’m sorry.” Ororo murmured, a weak tremulous smile on her lips.

“’s ok,” Logan lifted a damp cloth to her forehead, wiping away sweat shining there. “Don’t worry. Doesn’t hurt now,” he alluded to lightening strike. “Feels nice. Kinda tickles. Gave a good charge to these old bones.”

Knowing that he was trying to get her to relax, Ororo raised her own hand, reaching for his lips but grabbing at his chest at yet another spike of pain.

“Logan,” she gasped. “It. Something….some….”

One of the babies was coming and from the looks of it, rather quickly.

---

Five minutes and one slap to the butt later, Logan held up the tiny bawling form of his and Ororo’s first born. Their son.

The tan skinned child, pulled in gulps of air, letting out high pitched cries one after the other. However, as soon as he was laid along his mother’s side all of that vanished, her gentle fingers tentatively caressing him, her smell and feel being imprinted on his internal sensors.

“He…He’s so small,” her pain momentarily forgotten, Ororo looked up at a sweaty but beaming Logan. “So beautiful.”

“What else did ya expect? Just look at the kid’s Old man. Mamma’s not bad looking either.” Logan chuckled as he leaned against the bed, his proud eyes taking in the scene before him. He had thought Ororo to be beautiful before, but seeing this, seeing her like this, he was sure that he nothing else, no other sight would even come close enough to be even dare a comparison to this.

However the very next moment both her and Ororo were reminded that this picture wasn’t complete…yet. For Ororo, the pain that shot out this time, it was so intense that she all but faded away. Unlike the previous ones, it was almost as if a fire had been set ablaze inside her.

“ORORO!!” Logan cried out, yet another lightening charge shooting through him. It was different this time. While the earlier one was Ororo lashing out, this time it seemed that she was trying to latch onto him, as if needing him….begging him to relieve her pain.

“Its burning Logan. I-I…” she whimpered, her misted hand passing through Logan’s as he reached for her. “It burns.”

“’Ro. I…” Lifting a hand to the swell of her abdomen, Logan recoiled at the heat being radiating from it. Even the color of the skin there, previously warm coffee had turned to an angry red. Moving up, he had barely gathered the once again screeching boy when, all of sudden, Ororo’s physical form dissipated, but not without first depositing a very special and shocking gift….a baby girl.

A screaming miniaturized version of Ororo, this infant had something special that her brother did not have. And it wasn’t only the (currently) slimy mop of snow white hair on her head.

It was something entirely different.

At seven and half and slightly over six pounds respectively, both children were born with their mutations already active. But unlike her elder twin who was content at just crying, the Logans’ daughter put on an additional display of her displeasure of being taken away from the safe warmth of her mother’s room…much to her parents’ shock.

“Goddess!!”

“Oh Fuck. Jesus!”

Seconds after she separated from her mother, this special child, not only did her eyelids shoot open to reveal a pair of bright orange-red orbs, she also seemed to glow…

...and set not only herself but also the bed…on fire.


Note: I am near about done finalizing the names of the children. Had initially planned on letting it out in this chapter. Any last minute suggestions before I do it in the next one?

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.