19. The Planes

Summary:
Ororo (the movie one), finally clears up the confusion her time and space ‘skipping’ has caused.


“I still can’t understand it,”

Sitting in the simple yet cabin, Jean Grey had a look of utter confusion on her face. “Or believe it. How can you be at two places at one time…well, not even at one time.” She corrected herself as she remembered that even as this (movie) Ororo had been at the mansion, she had also been here in this wilderness, years in the past. “How can it be that while you with us, you were here too. And now you are here again. How…”

“We would explain…if we could.” Admitted Ororo. “The truth is that even now, after such a long time, things are pretty confusing to us too. Like I said before, it seems that whatever sent us here, also sent Logan into the past….either that, or sent me into the future. As for my time at the mansion,” she had dropped the ‘your’ quite some time ago, “it is even more confusing. But I do remember it all, as do I remember talking to you, all of you and also at length, to the Professor. Showing him…telling him what was happening to me…here, and also the directions, the co-ordinates if you will. It’s all clear in my memory.”

“But what about you…your…” Scott pointed out, “your body, or the one of the you that was there with us. The one we brought. And where did that go?

“That…” Ororo stopped for a few seconds, as if collecting her words. “That I can explain, though it might be a bit confusing…as first.”

Sending a glance across the room, taking in all the four (Ultimate) X-Men present, the expectant looks she got told her that they were more than ready to give it a go.

A deep breath and she pushed on. “Do either of you know about something called the psychic plane.”

“Yes. I do,” Jean responded quickly. “Its what telepaths use to communicate with each other and move around at a non-physical but, in a way, tangible way.”
“Scott?”
“Jean showed it to me,” answered Cyclops. Of the other two people, Xavier did not need to answer and the last person, (ultimate) Logan just shook his head.
“Just as with the psychic plane is a plane of existence, there are other planes too,” continued Ororo. “And as people with advanced telepathic abilities make use of this plane, elemental, those who are able to wield and control the elements, they also have a plane, an Elemental Plane if you will.”

“An Elemental plane?” Echoed Scott.
“Huh?” Was Jean.
“I did tell you, it might be confusing.” Ororo reminded them of her previous disclaimer, a corner of her lips turning up at their reactions.

“What do you mean an Elemental plane?” Jean recovered and shot forth. “And how come none of us ever heard of it before. Not even Storm, our Storm told us anything or gave any indication…”
“She won’t be able to gain access to it.” Ororo’s words silenced her. “Her powers are not advanced enough.”
“And yours are?” The redhead blurted out, her tongue slipping even before she could stop herself.

From what they had seen earlier, it did seem as rather odd that any of the x-men would put up such a question.

Not only was this Ororo more powerful than their (ultimate) Ororo, she even seemed more powerful than the version of her that had been stayed with them a few days back. The way she just seemed to change and dissolve into air, she not only would be able to form a link and use the elements, she would actually become one with them. That alone was indication enough how advanced her control was and possibly her reach could be.

And although neither Jean nor Scott had actually ‘seen’ it, their attention captured entirely by the way (ultimate) Logan had lunged towards the wolf that turned out to be the young son of the couple before them, (ultimate) Logan had felt the extent of the other (movie) Ororo’s powers first hand….by the way she barely a move, she just sucked out the air from his lungs. It lasted all of a few seconds but he was pretty sure that if she wanted, she could have held it that way for longer….much longer, long enough for even his healing factor powered body to give up….for him to die.

Then there was her husband, and even though he was his dimensional counterpart, (ultimate) Logan could not bring himself to relax in front of him, not after the way he (movie Logan) with all but a word, took control of not only his (ultimate Logan’s) claws but also his mind….his rage, turning it off as if it were child’s play.

--

Lost in his thoughts, Logan almost missed out the explanation that (movie) Ororo was giving for her claims.

“…was able to get the Professor access to the Elemental plane and it was there that we had out conversation and where he was during the time we were unconscious in the mansion infirmary.”

“Professor?” Both Jean and Scott started at once, Jean stopping allowing Scott to carry on. “Its true then? I mean you saw it.”
“Yes Scott,” nodded the elder telepath. “It is true and I did see it, although it wasn’t so much of seeing as it was experiencing it. It was quite the revelation.”

“To put it mildly.” (movie) Ororo interjected.

“Yes,” Xavier agreed. “To put it mildly.”


“Can you show us?” Jean blurted out, even as (ultimate) Logan slipped out of the room, heading out into the pristine wilderness, his deep blue eyes shimmering as a lake in the setting sun.

“No.” Ororo’s blunt turn down was rather surprising, causing Jean to feel rather let down at being denied
“Oh,” she sighed.

What she did not know was the reason behind Ororo’s answer, and for that Ororo was thankful. On her world, she had seen the Phoenix’s power and its immense, seemingly insatiable hunger. She wasn’t sure if the same Phoenix existed on this world, but even if it did or did not, that was a chance that carried just too much risk to even dare a try. Taking such an entity the elemental plane would be like taking an alcoholic…no, a whole army of alcoholics, with an never ending thirst and placing them right at the source of the best alcohol in all of existence. The results would be disastrous.

“Can Wolver…” Jean started again, stopping midway to correct herself. “Can Logan do the same? Go the elemental plane.”

“No.” Once again the Nubian beauty shook her head. “To get an ‘independent’ entry one needs to be tied right into the elements themselves. Logan can go but with me, not by himself.”
“Oh.” Neither Jean nor Scott, or Xavier for that matter, could help but not notice how it was (movie) Ororo who was doing most of the talking, while Logan was content at keeping an eye on them, and from the brief but frequent blank flashes across his face, also on those just outside the door.

(movie) Ororo did not offer information about her Logan’s link to the earth but more importantly, to the animals.

--

“How is it?” Jean asked, from both Ororo and Xavier.

“Its…” Xavier started with what he had seen, after all, it was his news which were the new ones. “Its unlike anything else on earth and at the same time its as if it is nothing.”

‘Huh?’

“It all depends on what one him or herself visualizes.” Xavier simplified his explanation. “Starting with all four elements, earth, wind, fire and water, the surroundings change in a reflection of what is inside you.”

The Professor stopped as he recalled what his own reflection had been, a 50-50 split between a perfect peace and happiness and a living hell on earth. At first, not ready or wanting to look his inner demons displayed before himself, Xavier had turned away towards the ‘happy’ side, only to have the split move with him. No matter which direction he faced, no matter if he tried to close his eyes and not see anything, for as long as he remained on there, the split remained with him, a glaring reminder of the things he had done in his past, the choices he was making now and the possible futures.

Thankfully (movie) Ororo had most probably not seen it, getting her own vision. She had told Xavier that if she wanted to see Xavier’s sight, she could, or even make him see her or anything she wanted, but working on the same rules as telepaths, until he gave her his permission, she wasn’t going to intrude on his privacy.

“I’d really want to see it,” sighed Jean, her eyes flaringly at the (momentarily) subtle itch at the back of her mind.

As if detecting the reverberations through the air, Ororo softened her voice, “It is not for everyone…just like the psychic plane.”

“I guess so.” A couple of seconds and that itch subsided, burning red-green eyes returning to their normal emerald tone. “What about the children? Do they have such a connection?”

---

Just outside,

“Readddie…..Steaddiiee….One. Two. Three…GO!”

BHUWHOOSH!!

THUMP!!

“I win. I win.” The high pitched exclamation sounded out aloud, with four pairs of eyes observing the young girl doing her little victory song and dance. “I win, I win, five to seven, I win….lala la, umm-hmmm…you lose, I win.”

“Uhmnnnn….” The loser, the male twin, let loud a whine as he gave up his current appearance, that of a frisky elephant cub, flashing back to his favorite, the wolf.

Hearing the whimper, his sister stopped mid-dance, turned around and giggled at him. “Oooh…widdle baby woofy. Lost, so cryin’ now.”

“Grrr…” that was a growl of ‘I am not cryin’.’

What the children had been playing was a truly ingenious yet entirely simple take on the game, rock, paper, scissors. The rules were very simple, with the only change being in the actual play. Instead of hands and fingers, the twins were using mouse, cat and elephant, or rather appearances of the said animals. While the boy actually shape-shifted into the animals, his sister use her elemental abilities to construct fiery versions of her choice. As for the rules, the cat eats the mouse, the elephant stomps the cat and in turn (the elephant) is afraid of the mouse.

This game was something that their mother had come up with, and even though it had been a means for them to practice their powers, neither child seemed to pay too much attention to it. For them, it was all a question of who was faster….and who won.

--

A few feet, away, the other three pairs of eyes keenly observed the odd sort of game play taking place before them. Of the three people, while one having just stepped out, was simply content at remaining in the shadows, two were smiling at the goofy antics of the children, both women gladly playing the part of impromptu and largely unneeded babysitters…still somewhat surprised at learning the children’s names.

Rose-Marie and David.


Note: Hopefully this will answer more of the questions of the changes occurring in (movie) Ororo and Logan, and also how Xavier came to know all about this. Thanks to everyone who helped me select the names. Did not go with Kendall and/or James, primarily because of the difference in powers b/w Rose (the girl here) and Kendall (in Yesterdays & Tomorrows). As for David and James, am already using James in Y&T.

Please Review!!





You must login () to review.