04. Decisions

“Yes…twins.”

“What do say Wolfman?” Bobby exclaimed as he iced-up two bawling babies, complete with their very own ice-prams. Identical in almost every respect, one was a boy with three tiny claws sticking out of each hand while the other a girl with seemingly charged up hands and eyes, just like her mother. However, what was comical, if it just did not come true, were the muttonchops that the girl child seemed to be sporting.

“Wheeee,” he made a mock impression of young children enjoying themselves.

Wolverine glared at the teenager as he continued with his charade. His attention was not as much on them as it was on his two other teammates, Jean and Storm, both of whom had been silent for quite some time. Kitty and Piotr had taken leave to allow the new Ororo to get some rest while the rest of the team reached a consensus as to where to keep her, and more importantly what to with her.

He did not like the way the two women were staring at him, one who he knew wanted to be with him, and the other who had been with him….even if were for a short time. He deliberately put of his own musing until a more opportune time….opportune meaning, a couple of bottle of Jack Daniels, at least, and a solitary space…away from all this. Although he knew where he stood with Jean…until now, and even though he would have liked if things were different between them, he could not deny feeling some of the attraction that Ororo felt towards him. While Ororo looked pensive, a thoughtful aura coming off her, Jean looked downright put off. Was it because of what the other Ororo had told them…was it because, even though she was with Dickhead, she still had feelings towards him, or was there something else that she sensed while she mind-read the newcomer.

Things had been so simple until a few hours ago….then one sniff of the other woman, and his carefully built up walls had a blow off in them. One sniff, because, that was all he needed to recognize a man’s smell, one just like his own, on her…that, and something else. Something that told him beforehand what words confirmed later. She was with child….and the presence of only one man’s child on her, clearly proclaimed the child’s parentage.

Intently staring at the redhead, a part of him hoped that she was thinking about him…while another, a newly risen, small but growing part, hoping not.

‘What is going through your mind Jeannie? You look as if you are a puppy and someone has taken your favorite chew toy. Why is it affecting you so much?’

----

“Hey look, the kids are all grown up,” Bobby’s exclamation drew everyone’s attention towards the fully-grown ice Wolverine and Storm. It was clearly set to indicate that as the kids step into adulthood and come into their own, they take over the mantle from their parents, allowing the oldies to getting some alone time in the superhero old-age home.

“I left her in your room, Storm.” Kitty’s spoke up as she phased through the wall. “Pete is outside the door.”

“Thanks Kitty,” Ororo smiled weakly, her mind still swirling from the revelations of her doppelganger. The news that in another alternate timeline, not only was she in a romantic relationship with Logan, but the two of them were starting a family. That, she was already pregnant with not one, but two children, was something she still could not get her head around.

‘Children!’ The thought had never even crossed her mind…until now. However, seeing how her twin was, she studied Logan with new eyes, but was fearful at allowing herself from imagining how she would feel with life growing inside her….life that she and Logan made together.

A major cause of that apprehension sat a few feet from her. Ororo had noticed how the Jean tensed up as she and later the other Ororo, talked about her personal life and the revealed about her and her Logan. It wasn’t enough that Logan still seemed to be carrying a torch for her, now it seemed that Jean herself didn’t want him to move on to someone else…with someone else…with her.

----

Ororo was still lost in her thoughts, when a light hand rested on her shoulder. Feeling the three thick digits, she instinctively knew who it was.

“Yes Kurt,” she plastered on a smile for her friend, and true to his nature, he gave her a supportive smile. In the immediate time after Henry’s death, it was Kurt who had finally gotten through to her and it was his words that made her finally come out of the funk she had been in….not even Xavier could do that, and for that, she respected and cherished her angel in elfish-demon garb friend.

Turning to the others, she saw Bobby still playing with his ice-statues, while a giggling Rogue sitting beside him. Ever since her return, the couple had rekindled their relationship…hopefully with a maturity that had been lacking the first time. Kitty was busy at her laptop, most probably chatting with Peter. Scott and Jean were in conversation with the Professor, updating him about this unexpected development. That left only Logan…and he, with a distant closed off look in his eyes, he might as well have been somewhere else.

Ororo had expected such a reaction from him. After all, he was just as involved into it as she was...both of them more so than the rest of their teammates. Even though it was her counterpart that had come over the dimension rift, it was his counterpart’s life-seeds that were germinating inside the body of her older twin.

‘What are you thinking Logan?’ She almost spoke out aloud. ‘What is going on in that impenetrable mind of yours?’

----

“Until the Professor returns,” Jean got off from her mind-phone with Xavier. “We are to keep a close eye on our guest and conduct tests to confirm her authenticity.”

“What do you mean?” Ororo did not like the sound of that, nor did she think whatever Jean and Scott’s game was, the older Ororo would fall for it.

“For starters, we run a DNA test,” Scott began, his tone all business. “Along with detailed physical tests….and we also have to check out her claims of being pregnant.”
“You mean pregnant with Logan’s babies,” Bobby was quick on the draw, his words getting supportive nods from Rogue.

“She ain’t lyin’,” everyone snapped to Logan, clearly surprised and expecting an explanation.
“How…” was all Scott got out before Logan cut him off.
“I smelled it on her,” Logan clarified.

“You can smell that?” echoed Kitty, her eyes bugging out of her head. “What else can you smell?” She wasn’t too sure she wanted the answer to that.

Instead of answering her, Logan carried on. “An’ the heartbeats….they’re there.”

“Whoa!” Bobby shot up. “That means she’s really…you know….”
“Yup,” Logan grunted in his answer to his fumbled question. Even though he did not know the exact time, Logan knew enough that for the kid to have a heart beat, the pregnancy was really coming along.....who cares how many months.

“We’ll test nonetheless,” Scott reiterated his position. Even if it was just for a formality, there was no way he was going to give Logan his smug satisfaction. Moreover, the question of the father was still an open one…at least for him. Although he did not know the other Ororo quite well, he had seen enough to know that she was quite learned and sophisticated. Unless the other world’s Logan was a complete 180 degree opposite of the Logan here, there was no way in hell that she would be in a relationship with a man like him, let alone him be the father of her children. Heck, the Ororo here was street-smart and he still did not see what she saw in Wolverine. ‘Probably what Jean saw,’ he flinched at the unwanted thought.

The whole Logan-Jean thing was still a sore issue for him, well, it would be for anyone, who had his life put in danger and almost lost at the hands of the said person.

-----

“What about getting her back to her world?” Ororo put up her next question. “If she is indeed who she says she is, then I am sure she would like to get back home as soon as possible, and so would her friends and teammates….her family.”

“Not to mention, her Wolf-dad….dy,” Bobby’s words were lost at a cold glare from Wolverine. “I mean hers….not you, not at all. Her Wolverine.”

“Why not keep her downstairs?” Wolverine still wasn’t sold on the idea of allowing the stranger free access to the mansion, especially a stranger who wore his scent, which for all purposes, it was, her body clearly proclaiming her…uh, contacts with his other world self. “It would be safer than to let her get out.”

“You mean, safer for you,” Ororo’s biting remark did not faze him the least bit. “I would think you of all people would know how it feels to be locked up.”

“There are two reasons for that,” Jean stepped in…reluctantly. Even though she might not like the situation, she had to take care of their guest…as was the Professor’s strict orders. “One, she doesn’t like closed spaces, she’s claustrophobic. Secondly, Professor’s orders….she is to be allowed access to anything and everything she wants, as long as it doesn’t require her leaving the mansion. Thirdly, if she is pregnant,” she still did not let that ‘if’ go. “Then according a fresh, clean, natural environment is necessary for her and for the child’s development.”

“Hn,” was Wolverine succinct response.

-----

“We should tell her,” Ororo started up from her chair. Ready to return to her room, she arched a brow as all of her teammates seemed to stand up with her. “Where do you think all of you are going?”

“I am the team leader, I have to be present,” was Scott’s excuse.

“I am going to have to tell her about the tests I will be running.” Jean.

“Keeping an eye.” Kitty, Rogue and Kurt were under orders from Scott.

“You crazy, there is no way I am losing even a second of this. This is even better than watching funny videos on the Internet.” Bobby was practically leaping off the table…leaving Logan.

“…..”


Note: Hope you liked this chapter. If some of the facts are out of line, excuse me. (Not a doctor here.)

Also, as the summary states, this is a crossover between the x-movies (1, 2 and the upcoming 3) and the Ultimate X-Men comics. Although, I hope to stay true to the specific ‘Universes’, some events and or settings may be moved a bit.

Spoiler: Bobby (and/with Rogue) does watch the said videos in Ultimate X-Men #66.

An’ don’t forget to review!!





You must login () to review.