Ororo didn’t remember the trip back into the house.

A faint voice…at least, it sounded faint, but gruff, kept muttering at her to wake up. She felt her body being shifted, someone lightly tapping her cheek.

“Don’t let her sleep. That’s a bad bump. Looks like a concussion.” Ororo felt something squeezing her arm. Something scratchy, perhaps Velcro, fastened around her, tightening uncomfortably for a moment as a hissing sound filled the room. There was a staccato ripping sound as the blood pressure cuff was removed and tossed aside.

Her eyelids were pried open. “Quit it,” she complained. She winced at the bright light shining directly into her eyes.

“Sorry, Sunshine, I’m not done with you quite yet,” Hank crooned, stroking her hair from her face. “Cognitive function’s fine. Pressure’s good…”

“Hate this,” Ororo hissed. “Jus’ leave me alone…” she slurred.

“…and she’s getting her old fighting spirit back,” Hank chuckled. Kurt leaned down and held Ororo’s free hand, stroking her wrist with his thick thumb.

“You scared ten years of life out of us, Fraulein,” he scolded warmly, forcing a smile onto his lips. His eyes were still frightened, Ororo thought numbly.

“Din’t…mean to,” she promised, still drowsy as Hank continued to prod her.

“Squeeze my two fingers, Ororo.” She obeyed, wincing again. “Good!” Hank wrote down her vitals on his clipboard. Sage walked into the medlab suite with a clean white blanket.

“This one’s fresh out of the warmer,” she announced, tucking it in around Ororo with uncharacteristic tenderness. The two women exchanged a glance that no one else could quite read. Sage clasped Kurt’s shoulder warmly and patted it. “Go upstairs and eat, Kurt. Lunch is ready.”

“In a minute, Fraulein.”

“Hank’s fine with her, Kurt. Come.” Reluctantly Kurt released Ororo’s hand, then bent to kiss her cheek.

“We’ll be back in a while to check on you, liebchen.”

In the hallway outside of the medlab, Logan was just finishing his cigar, not giving a good goddamn about the ashes as they littered the shiny steel floor. He stopped mid-pace as Kurt and Sage exited the lab. “Logan, you’re dripping.”

“Save it, Sage. How is she?”

“She’s all right. Hank has things under control. Why don’t you change out of those wet clothes?” Her suggestion fell on deaf ears as Logan pushed past them into the suite, grinding out the stub of his cigar in his palm. Sage sighed.

“Kurt…?”

“I’m on it,” he replied, smiling as he ‘ported upstairs to Logan’s room to retrieve a fresh change of clothes. Sage didn’t even flinch at the stench of brimstone as she made her way back to the kitchen.

“Pull up a chair,” Hank beckoned. Hank was just opening a chilled bottle of 7-UP and pouring some into a paper cup of ice chips. He flexed a red-and-white bendy straw into it and handed it to Ororo. “This might perk you up a bit, my dear.” Ororo nodded her thanks. Her eyes were drowsy but followed Hank’s movements without jerking. Logan gave silent thanks as he approached the side of the bed. He filled her vision, his face full of concern and relief.

“Hey, ‘Ro,” he whispered.

“I’ll leave you two alone for now. You know where to reach me,” Hank reminded them, holding his own pair of goggles aloft. “There’s also the intercom.” He left Ororo to her guest.

Logan sat in the proffered chair, wheeling it close to the bed and leaning his forehead against the cool bedrails. He heard Ororo sigh in resignation before she spoke.

“Logan…”

“It’s my own goddamned fault,” he interrupted, not looking at her yet. It hurt to see that cut on her head, growing puffy and purple around the edges of the snowy white bandage. “I shouldn’t have left ya alone. I shoulda been there.”

“You couldn’t have known…”

“Yeah, I could’ve. And I should’ve in the first place.”

“You can’t watch me every second of the day.”

“Like hell I can’t.” He sat up and stared at her, drawing her into his angry gaze. “That’s what I signed on for when I came back here, ‘Ro. To help you, whether you think you need that help or not.”

Ororo suddenly felt very small. “I didn’t want…you don’t have to stay if…”

“Are you shittin’ me?” His eyes grew large as he drew back and raked his fingers through his hair, now hopelessly wrecked and disheveled. He cradled his forehead in his hand as he barked, “I don’t have to stay? You’re really sayin’ that? What, you don’t want ta be a burden t’me, ‘Ro? Is that what you’re tellin’ me?” Ororo’s eyes darted away from his as she searched for words that never came.

Logan wasn’t going to let her get away that easily. Not anymore.

“Roro,” he rumbled, reaching out to take her hand in his, stroking her fingers with his thumb,” no matter what you need from me, whether it’s just gettin’ ya something you can’t reach or runnin’ ya some errands, or even throwin’ myself into the path of a Mack truck, don’t you EVER think fer one goddamned moment that it’s a problem for me.”

“I…I’m taking y-you away from…”

“From what?” He threw up his hands. “Bein’ out in the field with Cyke, in the trenches, in the sky, in the sewers? From the arenas in Madripoor? From the stinkin’ tunnels in London? From visiting graves and wonderin’ where it all went wrong? From ripping stuff apart in the Danger Room? From generally gettin’ my ass kicked by anyone and anything that crossed our doorstep? ‘Ro, what’s more important than being here with you?”

“I…I don’t want…to be useless,” Ororo stammered, her breath catching in an odd way. “This was my fault, Logan, not yours. You were right. I should have asked you to take me to the pool, or, I don’t know…” Logan watched helplessly as her face crumpled, tears flowing unchecked down her cheeks and dripping into her 7-Up.

“Aw, dammit, ‘Ro, don’t cry,” Logan pleaded, softening his voice as he reached for the bed rail. He flicked the lever and lowered it, reaching forward to pluck the cup of soda from her grip and set it on the bedside table. Ororo sobbed loudly, wrenching his gut as she buried her face in her fists. “Who the hell says you’re useless? Not me, ‘Ro. Never. Just because you can’t fly? Because bossing us around and making us keep our shit together has to take a back seat to getting back on your feet? C’mere, darlin’,” he ordered, sitting on the edge of the bed and scooping her into his arms, keeping her bundled in the blanket. Her sobs shook him as he rocked her, smoothing her damp, tangled hair that still smelled of chlorine and fresh air.

“Lo-Logan? You’re still wet,” she sniffled, clutching at his tank top.

“I won’t melt,” he promised, surprised when he heard her giggle against his chest. “No more trips to the pool without me, ‘Ro. Shit, no matter what you wanna do, call me, I’ll put down whatever I’m doin’ in a flash, d’ya hear?”

“Okay,” a tiny voice rasped back. Logan’s arms tightened around her. This is ‘Ro, he told himself. She’s right here, all in one piece. She hasn’t gone anywhere. Logan’s fingers felt good to Ororo as they grazed her scalp. The miracle of this woman settled on his lap moved him more than he could ever describe.

“Maybe we just did too much today. It’s asking a lot of your body to throw a full workout into one afternoon along with swimming laps,” he considered, “but that’ s my fault, too. You’ve been doing so well,” he admitted. “It’s been so easy to let you set the pace, but I’ve been letting you push yourself too hard. Once Hank gives you a clean bill of health, we’re startin’ over again, without this pissin’ contest between us. ‘Til yer strong enough to knock me on my ass again, ‘Ro, I’m the boss, ya get me?” Ororo stifled a laugh. Logan peered down at her, tipping her chin up to look into her eyes. They were still swimming but clear, and filled with tenderness. And something else, Logan realized…

“I get you,” she whispered. She reached up a trembling hand, her slender fingers stroking his grizzled cheek. “Loud and clear.” Logan’s stomach tightened as an irresistible urge gripped him. Suddenly, he was glad he was sitting down.

“Good,” he murmured, “glad we understand each other.” His fingers released her chin and traced her jaw, then crept up to the curve of her ear. He lowered his face to hers, steaming her lips with his breath. “Real glad, ‘Ro.” Ororo made a small sound in her throat as she met him halfway, pulling him down until their lips met in a kiss. Her mouth was soft and pliant beneath his, a perfect fit as he slanted his over it, silently urging her to open for him. Logan felt a little thrill of pleasure as her hand worked its way into his crisp curls as he deepened the kiss, letting his tongue roam, tasting her thoroughly. He caressed her cheek, marveling at her satiny skin. Ororo’s back arched as she squirmed against him, trying to get closer, wishing she could just crawl inside of this infuriating, wonderful man who never left her side or her thoughts these past few weeks. She ignored the dull throbbing in her forehead as Logan just cuddled her, and stroked her, caressing every inch of her that he could reach. Logan paused a moment, coming up for air. “Got a confession t’make, darlin’,” he rasped. “Don’t hate me fer bein’ a selfish sonofabitch, but when I hauled you outta that water, it wasn’t just because you needed my help.” His thick, callused fingertip skimmed her lower lip. He smothered a tiny growl as she nibbled it. “It was because I need you, too. Not ‘we,’ as in the team, but ‘I.’ Me. I can’t lose you. I won’t, ‘Ro.”

“I need you too, even if it’s just to give me a swift kick in the rear and remind me that I’m just plain folks,” she said, her voice full of feeling. She ran her fingertip up his arm, skimming it lazily through the fine mat of dark hair. Logan shuddered with barely checked desire.

“Don’t do that. Yer killin’ me.”

“It’s the most that I can manage for right now, and I can’t help it, you blasted man! Take it or leave it,” she warned, sniffling as a fresh flood of tears threatened to erupt. “I don’t always have the chance to tell you what you mean to me. You’re always gone, I try to be understanding about it. You do what you need to do.” Logan closed his eyes and inhaled her scent, grimacing as he thought of how his constant absences must have affected her all this time. He kissed the top of her head and tucked it under his chin. “I know how silly it sounds, me worrying about you, a man with a healing factor who practically walks away from death every time it’s dealt…”Ororo felt Logan shaking his head in denial.

“It’s not silly, darlin’, it’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said ta me.” And it was. “Thing is, you worried me, ‘Ro. Elf was right, you scared me out of who knows how many years I’ve got left! To be honest, even I don’t know how many years I’ve got left. But those’d be wasted years without my favorite bossy frail t’set me straight.” Ororo’s sobs trickled to minute sniffles as he just held her.

Kurt appeared in a puff of brimstone, bearing a bundle of Logan’s clothes. “If you’ll be here for a while, mein freund, I suggest you change into these. Ororo’s immune to the cold,” he pointed out, “but the same can’t be said for you.”

“Thanks, ‘Elf.” Ororo gave Kurt a watery smile. “Have Sage send down a plate for ‘Ro, would ya?”

“Back in a flash,” Kurt replied cheerfully, disappearing once more. Logan eyed Ororo’s blanket, now damp from his clothing. “Geez, I’m sorry. I’ll get ya another one.”

“Thank you.” Ororo slid off his lap, loath to give up his solid embrace. Reluctantly she released his hand, letting it slip out of hers as he retrieved the clean jeans and T-shirt. She laid back on the pillows, watching him strip off the sodden tank, transfixed by the ripple of muscles playing down his chest and abdomen. “Goddess,” she whispered. Logan froze midway through threading his arms through the sleeves as he met her hungry gaze.

“What?” Logan was incredulous.

“It’s just…you. I’m being silly again, ignore it. It’s the concussion,” she explained. Yet she blushed ten shades of red.

“Spill it,” he prodded, an impish smile lighting up his face.

“You’re incredible,” she muttered under her breath, ducking her head and staring into her lap. Logan chuckled, releasing the last of the tension eating a hole in his gut since he stepped into the lab.

“Sorry, my hearing’s a little…you know, I got some water in my ear?”

“Incredible. You. Amazing,” she breathed. “There’s nothing wrong with your hearing,” she accused, fighting back the smile that crept over her lips.

“Can’t take it back, ‘Ro,” he growled. He thought better of putting the shirt on and instead shucked his sweats, letting them drop.

“I meant what I said.” His back was turned, providing Ororo with the perfect view as he slid out of his soaked boxers. She cleared her throat, not recognizing the desperate voice that tumbled from her mouth. “Um. Logan? Should I be taking a hint from our little incident today and covering my eyes?”

“Nope. This makes us even.”

“Oh. Good.” She licked her lips. “That’s…good.” He scooped up the fresh pair and hopped into them before walking back out into the hall to pop another blanket in the warmer.

Logan came back with the fresh cover, laying it on the chair as he peeled the damp one from Ororo. He eyed her swimsuit, fighting back his arousal at the sight of her sumptuous curves outlined in black spandex. Ororo licked her lips again as his eyes traveled over her with yearning. “I wanna play nursemaid and help ya t’get dry, ‘Ro,” he admitted, “but it’s all I can do to keep myself from playin’ doctor.” Her slow smile nearly did him in. “You’ve gotta take it easy til you can knock me on my ass, ‘Ro,” he repeated, fetching a gown from the linen cupboard.

“When that time comes…I’d prefer you on your back.” Ororo peeked up at him through her dark lashes and demurely covered her breasts as she slid down the straps of her suit. In a grand gesture of chivalry, Logan held the gown in front of her, keeping his eyes on hers as she eased out of the damp garment. She slipped her arms into the sleeves, allowing him to reach around her, lifting her heavy spill of white hair off of her neck as he tied the laces in a neat bow. The only liberty he took was to graze her throat with her lips. She bit back a tiny whimper. “Not fair,” she complained.

“Gotta give you something to work for,” he suggested. She leaned back as he grasped her suit, rolling it down from her hips beneath the concealing gown. Exhausted, Ororo settled back on the pillows. Logan shook out the blanket and sat on the edge of the bed again. Ororo, surprised but pleased, moved over to make room as he swung his sinewy legs up and stretched out beside her, pulling the cover over them both.

Logan then pulled Ororo to his chest, covering himself with her lissome, sweet-smelling flesh. The afternoon ticked by as the two exchanged honest words and countless, heartfelt kisses that were long overdue. Ororo’s soft breath stirred the hairs on his chest as she curled up and gave in to the deep slumber that claimed her.

“I don’t need t’be anywhere but here, ‘Ro,” Logan said, burying his face in her hair.





You must login () to review.