Sitting with her arms wrapped around her knee, Ororo rocked back and forward staring wide-eyed, still in shock with what she had discovered.
Her breathing was uneasy and she continuously swallowed the invisible lump in her throat.
“I don’t know what to do” Ororo whispered to herself.
She stared at the test opposite her and felt as if she would be sick to her stomach.
‘Pregnant’
The test had given her a clear and straightforward answer. It did not have complicated multicoloured lines. She was starting to wish it did, because maybe just maybe she would have read the test wrong and she would not have been pregnant.
However she did not, she was correct. 99.9% correct
‘…Puts you in control...’ just like it said on the package of the test, though Ororo did not feel in control at all.
She just could not believe it.
After years of teaching safe sex to her students she had went and gone against everything she believed in.

When a single woman becomes pregnant she usually asks these questions: whose baby is it? How did this happen? What will I do? Who should I tell? How long have I been pregnant?
In Ororo’s case she knew whose baby it was, Exactly how it happened- she could not forget so that cut down some of her worries. But the last three questions remained unknown to her. To worsen her situation, Ororo was a mutant and now had two more questions to add to her three unknown queries. What ‘gifts’ will my baby have? Will mutant hatred die out by the time my baby grows up?
She needed to forget she was pregnant for a while. So she got up from her feeble position and left her bathroom.

Ororo sat in her class marking the exams her students had done.
It was taking her mind off her pregnancy and soothing her inside. She was so occupied with the work; she did not notice Jean strut into her classroom.
“Ororo” Jean called.
Ororo looked up and fought the urge to roll her eyes.
“Yes, Jean” she extended the ‘S’ in her words to a hiss.
“I needed to ask you for the key to the drawer in Ch- in your office. It has the report cards of my students”. Ororo sighed.
“Jean I do not have the key with me, it is in my room somewhere and I cannot get it right now, I am marking exams. I will give it to you as soon as I have finished”
“All right…Thank you” Jean said walking away but the she turned back and walked back to Ororo.
“I don’t understand you, Ororo”
“What?”
“You have Logan and you still act like something terrible is going on”
“Nothing is going on between…”
“Yes there is, you act like you are the only one with problems, even when you still have him” Jean seethed.
“You do not understand or know about anything I am going through” Ororo replied with the same passion Jean had.
“When I slept with him…He called out your name during sex! How do you think that made me feel” Jean exclaimed but her voice became weaker.
“Oh…Jean…” was the only thing Ororo manage to say.
“It wasn’t till the day after that I realised that he was only using me…” Jean’s voice faded off and she looked thoughtful.
“Jean…I really do not know what…”
“Look, if I were you I would just be happy with him…”
“I do not need him” Ororo said sternly and glared at the floor.
“You are so stubborn” Jean muttered.
“I am not stubborn”
“Yes, you’re right, where would I ever get that idea from” Jean murmured sarcastically.
Ororo gave Jean a small smile; it was like there friendship was slowly coming back.
Jean looked at Ororo soothingly.
“What?” Ororo questioned.
“I can see it, I can sense it…You’re pregnant” Jean whispered.
Ororo wrapped her arms around herself, feeling exposed.
“For how long have you been…?” Jean asked.
“I don’t know” she mumbled.
“When will you tell Logan, Ororo?”
Ororo shook her head violently, “I’m leaving, he will not find out”.
“You’re crazy” Jean said but when she saw Ororo was serious she frowned.
“Ororo, the best thing you need is rest and a proper diet…”
“Jean, I’m fine. I sleep enough and I eat fine. It’s alright”
“You are carrying another human being inside you…”
“Look, here’s the key to my office- you can use that to get inside and then get your documents” Ororo said throwing the keys across the table before treading out the classroom.

Ororo sat on her bed irately. She knew she was being irrational but she did not need anyone telling her what to do. She did not look pregnant and certainly did not feel pregnant until she had found out. She ran her hand over her flat taunt stomach vainly trying to feel signs of a new life in her. She removed her hands and slammed them on her lap sighing angrily.
“Everything, alright darlin’?” a recognisable voice asked behind her. This made Ororo jump and stand up in defence.
“What are you doing in here!?” Ororo demanded.
“Not even a door can keep me away from you, darlin’” Logan said approaching her. Ororo began to back away; Logan still followed and placed his hands on either of her hips. Ororo pushed his hands away furiously.

“You promised-you swore that you wouldn’t even touch me after what we did” Ororo hissed whilst walking backwards.
“You knew I would never keep that promise” Logan replied still following her. He was right, Ororo already knew that promise meant nothing.
Logan put his hand on her hips again but Ororo still pushed him away. When she did she quickly put her arms around her stomach defensively.
“What’s wrong, ‘Ro?”, Logan took a step forward and this time Ororo forgot to take a step back.
“Nothing” she said.
He was an inch away from her face and she was so afraid of him finding out about her pregnancy.
“Something must be wrong” he wrapped his left arm around her waist to bring her closer to him and he used his other arm to pull her arms away from her stomach.
He then touched her cheek and stared into her eyes. They both stood there in silence staring until Logan broke it.
“When were you gonna tell me, ‘Ro?”
Ororo swallowed and tried to stay calm. Maybe he was talking about something else.
“Tell you what, Logan?” she asked quietly, removing his hand from her face.
“That you’re pregnant”





You must login () to review.