Ororo sighed in agreement.
“I know” she added with a small weak smile.
“You don’t sound too happy ‘bout it”
Ororo raised her head.
“I am happy! I just…I don’t…Logan, I’m having a baby and you know I’ve never had a child…what if…what if I don’t make a good mother” Ororo replied putting her hand on the bare bump on her stomach.
Logan smiled at her.
“’Ro of course you’re gonna make a good mother. Look at how you care for all the kids here. The younger and the older ones”
Logan got up to walk to Ororo’s bathroom cabinet. He opened it and took a bottle of her shampoo shortly before returning back to Ororo. He crouched down beside the bath tub and poured shampoo over Ororo’s hair.
“Logan, you don’t have to do this” she said as Logan worked up lather in her hair.
“I know, you keep tellin’ me. But what sane guy would miss out on a chance of seein’ you naked again?” Logan said playfully.
“Logan!” Ororo groaned smacking his arm in return.
“I am a woman nearing the end her pregnancy you certainly are not sane” Ororo muttered.
“Yeah, ‘cos I’m madly in love with you, darlin’”
Ororo laughed lightly before kissing him on his cheek.
Logan grinned because Ororo had kissed him and because she had laughed, it was a sound that Logan had not heard very often from Ororo due to the current circumstances.

Logan rinsed the shampoo out of Ororo’s hair then washed her body with a bar of soap.
“’Ro what are we gonna name our baby?”
Ororo frowned
“I never thought about that. I don’t know, what do you think we should call our child?” Ororo asked gripping either sides of the bath tub.
Logan shrugged still washing Ororo.
“I dunno, we don’t even know whether it’s a boy or a…”
“I do” Ororo said quickly.
“What?! How?”
“Well I told Hank to…”
“You told Furball to check?”
“No, Logan his name is Hank or Henry and I only found out yesterday myself”
“Why didn’t you tell me this?”
“I don’t know, it slipped my mind, I know it is a little too late, I’m sorry, Logan.”
Logan raised an eyebrow but still stared at Ororo waiting an answer.
“We’re having a…boy”.
Logan eyes widened just a little and Ororo looked at him as if to say ‘what’s wrong with a boy?’
“A boy” Logan said.
“Now you don’t sound too happy about that, a little disappointed” Ororo replied.
“No, it’s not that…”
It wasn’t that Logan didn’t want a boy; it was just the fear that he wouldn’t be a good role model to his son.
“What is it?” Ororo asked
“I don’t want a son that would end up like me” Logan told her.
“What’s wrong, with you?” Ororo asked again.
Logan sighed.
“Why would you want a son that would end up like me?” Logan enquired.
“You mean a caring, protective, handsome son, Logan? You lower yourself down too much. You do not notice how much of a good man you are, Logan”
He removed his hands from Ororo’s body and looked at them.
“You don’t even know half of what these hands have done”
Ororo took one of his hands and pressed her lips against them.
“But I know what they are doing now. They are looking after me and they will take care of our baby”
Ororo kissed him again before he helped her out of the bath tub and wrapped a towel around her.
“We’ve got a baby to name” Ororo said before they left the bathroom.

After Ororo’s bath she looked absolutely radiant. Her skin glowed naturally and her white hair, luminous under the sunlight. She had slipped into a summer dress.
To Logan she was a goddess.
‘Mother Nature’ Logan thought with a smirk.
His eyes were still fixed on her, even when she stared at the ground.
“Logan! It’s not polite to stare” Ororo snapped when she looked up.
“I’m sorry, darlin’ but you’re nice to stare at” Logan said approaching her.
“What about ‘Logan’ junior”? Logan suggested with a grin touching Ororo’s stomach.
“What! Hell no”
Logan frowned.
“You didn’t seem to mind screaming that name when this baby was being conceived”
“Yeah, and if you want me to scream that name some more when this baby starts to grow up, you wouldn’t call your child ‘Logan’” Ororo replied slapping his shoulder.
“Ah, I get ya, darlin’, why don’t you think of a name. ‘Ro?”
“I want you to name our son, Logan” she said resting against him.
Ororo slipped her hand into Logan’s and he squeezed it tight.
“OK…” Logan went quiet, deep in thought but then a name came to him.
“James”
“James…James… I like that name”
“Me too, darlin’”
“James Munroe”
“Why must he have your surname, doesn’t the child take the father’s surname?”
“Logan, you don’t know your surname”
“That’s what you think”
“You know your surname?”
Logan nodded. “My full name is, James Logan Howlett” he said to her slowly.
Ororo’s eyes widened a little.
“You’re name is James. Then why didn’t you say so, James is a nice name”
“Logan’s better” he told her blatantly.
“James, our son will be called James….Logan” Ororo smiled satisfied but then her smile faded and she looked serious.
“Logan, you know something of your past. That is your surname- you could use that to find your family. I don’t think you know how vital that information is. You could have brothers, sisters, parents…a family looking for you, Logan…”
“I know darlin’, but right now you’re the only person I want to be with. ‘Ro you are my family. You and my son are my family. I wouldn’t give that up, not even for the answers to my past”
Ororo hugged him, her heart ached for him. He cared that much for her. She realised how much Logan was giving up just for her and her child.
Logan kissed Ororo but his kisses were cut short when Ororo put a hand on his shoulder.
“Logan…Logan, I can’t, I’m busy, remember?” Ororo reminded him and herself.
“Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you, darlin’? Logan asked protectively.
“Yes, Logan, I will be fine and besides Jean will be with me” Ororo told him pausing thoughtfully.
“Are you two tryna sort something out?”
“Yeah, we were friends before the professor grew sick and we might as well get over all this. She was the first person to find out about my pregnancy and she is still helping me, I can at least try to make things go back the way it was”
Logan stared at her nodding but Ororo could still see the concern in his eyes.
“Logan, I will be fine, I promise”
And with that Ororo left her room and headed down the hallway.

Jean stood at the end of the stair case waiting for Ororo to come down them. Her hands were on her hips and she tapped her foot impatiently.
When Ororo came down stairs she frowned.
“Well you took your time” she sighed.
“I’m pregnant” Ororo said simply. It was an excuse she had been using a lot then.
“Come on” Jean said taking her by the wrist and pulling her out of the mansion.

The drive to the mall was silent, not at all awkward but silent. Jean drove so she concentrated on the road before her. They made moderate eye contact and smiled in a friendly manner but that was it.
When the car was parked and they entered the shopping mall, Ororo felt eyes on her making her feel more uncomfortable then she already did. She was blatantly a pregnant mutant and although she couldn’t read minds she could tell what the passing citizens were thinking.
“Don’t mind them, Ororo. They are just staring at you because they are ignorant” Jean told her slightly louder than she would usually talk making her smile thankfully. It was the first thing she had said to Ororo since they were at the mansion and the most helpful. It triggered conversation.

“Hey, look at this” Jean said pulling out a gruesome pink piece of baby’s clothing
Ororo chuckled, “Jean, I’m having boy and even sure a girl would wear…”
She went silent but her breathing increased.
“Are you O.K?” Jean asked putting her hand on Ororo’s shoulder.
“Yeah…I’m fine…what about this?” she said quickly changing the subject and picking out another piece of clothing.
Ororo felt a tug at her womb and drew back her breath trying her best to ignore it. Jean watched her warily.
“Ororo…”
“Jean…I’m fine” Ororo cut her off but then the pain in her insides increased.
“Are you sure?”

“No…” Ororo managed to let out and she doubled over wrapping her arms around her stomach. She felt another sharp tugging in her womb and she started to feel as her son was going to drop. She could no longer stand upright or hold on to her control.
“Jean…I think- I think the baby’s coming” Ororo gasped before collapsing to the ground. She curled up into a ball, while the water from inside her trickled down her legs.
With widened eyes, Jean bit her tongue to stop her from screaming.
“Ororo…but you had two months…Don’t lay that way…Oro-…W-what should I do…should I call Logan?” Jean asked with plain panic in her voice.
“No! Please…don’t… call him…get me a nurse… or a-or a midwife or a doctor… Oh Goddess! I think I’m bleeding” Ororo breathed in and out, shaking and sobbing as her muscles contracted. Ororo watched Jean scramble frantically through her bag looking for her cell phone. When she heard three beeps she automatically knew that Jean had dialled ‘911’.
Soon a large crowd began to form around her and Ororo felt her claustrophobia taking over her, then everything faded to black.





You must login () to review.