It was a few days after the ‘mall incident’, as Jean had put it, that she found it, how it got there she didn’t know, but no matter how hard she tried, she could not ignore it. A pamphlet, advertising a group meeting for troubled beings. She thought things like that were a waste of time, that a psychiatrist would be able to do more within a year, than a bunch of people sat round telling others of their problems. But thinking of it now all the psychiatrists that she had seen had done nothing but forced pills down her throat, pills that she did not need or that did not work.

After reading it, she said to herself, “I could give it a go, no harm could come of it. Surely.”

But now that she was here, she felt sick, nervous, wanting to turn around and run but her feet thinking differently, taking her up the first steps, and into a white hall. The many doors seemed to cover every inch of the white paint. She took a deep breath as she located the right room, No. 106, so many stairs.

She knocked, there was no need to, but it was the polite thing to do, she didn’t want to go in, guns blazing, interrupting a conversation or what have you.

“Come in!” She recognised that voice, but from where. It was gruff, rough sounding, like sand paper on a hard wood or metal.

Taking another deep breath, she opened the door, slowly. All eyes were on her entrance, on her. She froze. It wasn’t the first time. The heated gaze of another watching her every move. Though in this room it wasn’t lustfully, it was curiosity. But wasn’t it curiosity originally that killed the cat?

“You gonna stand there all day, or you gonna take a seat?” She looked in the direction in which the voice came, her eyes locking with his. Her thoughts took over as she walked towards the spare chair. ‘Was he the same guy from the mall, no it couldn’t be. Perhaps, as I never really saw his face.’

She smiled shyly, as she sat. she hated this, entering a room, and having everyone look at her, taking her in. it was unnerving. She place her backpack on the floor besides her feet, in it contained her emergency cell phone, money, and her rain coat, knowing from experience that it would rain during the same minute in which this session would end.

It wasn’t long before, who seemed to be the ‘teacher’ started to introduce himself followed by everyone else. She hadn’t noticed when all eyes were on her again waiting for her introduction. She wasn’t focused, her mind again reeling with the idea of her not being alone. Maybe that was why she never thought of coming to these things, because she’d find others with greater problems than hers. Though, going over the information again, none of thee people had emotional problems that went as deep as hers, but yes, they still had problems, some of which were easily solved but proved hard in the process.

She sighed. Not long after realising that the room had gone quite. She looked up, and searched all the faces in the room that were along side her. Some of them were concerned, some of them just seemed impatient, waiting for her to speak.

“Sorry, my mind drifted there for a minute.” she said apologetically. She swallowed the lump that had formed in the back of her throat.

“That’s okay, just take as long as you want, collect your thoughts etcetera, etcetera.”

“Sorry, but…um…what’s your name again?” she was buying time, had to be, she was nervous. She had never been to one of these things before, not knowing what to say and how to say it.

He knew, of course, what was wrong with her, and why she had come. The pamphlet was something at last minute had come into his head after the bump in at the mall. He had gently folded it and placed it, unnoticeably, in her pocket. One of the many traits that you pick up as a reporter, able to sneak in and out without being noticed.

“Logan…Howlett.” He saw her nod, taking it in. breathing deeply as she had done in the mall. Almost as if her friend was with her this very minute.

Right of course, the ring leader.” she joked, some caught on, some snickered. She smiled, but as she spoke it slowly vanished, and her lips created a single line, a serious tone to it. Maybe.
“My name is Ororo Munroe,” She paused letting it sink in. the whispers that swam around her, made it obvious that some of the members had heard of her. “Some of you maybe aware of my ‘disorder’ as my shrink puts it. I am untouchable to anyone or anything around me, and I just want it to change.”





You must login () to review.