She had a routine, one was daily the other for weekends. She always went by it, unless it was a day like today. Her day had changed. something that she very rarely did, it usually involved begging, as in getting on your hands and knees, or ringing at every hour of the day. Only few knew that it was the only way to get on her nerves, and one of those few was Jean.

Jean was like a sister to her, the friend that reassured her of everything and anything. She had trained to be a doctor but instead ended up as a receptionist, at the very hospital her ex-husband worked at.
Her endless phone calls went deep into the night and started at early hours of the day, stopping Ororo of her work, her art. She had no choice but to accept her friends constant nagging.

Cancelling her weekly swim and visit to her shrink, Ororo could not back out now. The feeling that rose within her caused her body to shake. The mall was filled with people, people that suffocated her, touched her. But then it was all accidental, they were the unknowingly suspects that caused her mind to break.
Though at every touch she reminded herself, it was always like this, the pushing and shoving of countless people. Not matter how much she wanted to break down, she refused, trying to get on with her day, for Jeans sake.


“Ororo are you alright, you look a bit…well I don’t know…distracted?” The concern that was inked into her friends voice, forced a shy smile on her face.

“I’m fine. Nothing out of the ordinary.” It was barely a whisper, but the nod that she gained, made it clear to her that Jean knew what was wrong. How could she not know?!

“I shouldn’t have brought you here, should I?” Guilt was the last thing she needed, she would be fine, if Jean was.

“I don’t mind being here, I promise. Besides you needed the break.”

“A break from what? Me, Scott and the divorce? Yeah right! I’m fine, not wait, I’m better than fine. I’m free!” A smile escape her lips, Jean was free, but with Ororo freedom was miles away.

She knew now that she should have been looking where she was going, instead of thinking of freedom, but it was a question that had stuck with her for countless years. To her, it was fate, and there was no going back.

“Oh shit!” The voice was gruff, and rang out as shopping bags, scraps of paper and other objects were dropped onto the floor. An accidental push was all it was, and all she took it for.
“Sorry, didn’t see you there.” He said picking up the items that he had obviously dropped.

Hands out stretching, reaching for the shopping bags and other necessities. With a gentle touch of his hand on hers, as they reached for the same item, made Ororo shoot up straight, her breathing heavy. Another apology followed.

“Ororo, sweetie, are you okay?” No answer. Her crystal blue eyes not looking at her friends, but into space, in thought of what this man could possibly do, her brain telling her differently to what it actually was.

“Ororo, look at me, look at me, please. Breathe. Take deeps breaths. Okay?!”

She complied, smiling as a thank you.

He had watched in fascination, but also in remembrance, trying to figure out where he had seen her face before. Not wanting to say ‘Do I know you?’ because as always, she’d say ‘No’.

It was then that he remembered how he knew her, and where from. His past was somehow connected to hers.





You must login () to review.