Shedenfreude
Chapter Nine


Logan rested his hips on the edge of kitchen counter.No Peter, no Marie, and no Ororo to make something eatable. He just shook his head. The last couple of days and last night had just all around sucked.

A breakfast of coffee, with milk and sugar, a shot of JD, and a burnt bagel was not what he wanted to face the day with, but it was going to have to do. When he tasted the coffee, noticed it wasn’t nearly as sweet as it should have been. He sniffed at it and noticed how there wasn’t enough milk. Before he poured more milk, he drank a few gulps out of the gallon just to make sure that it was ok. It was a safety measure; he didn’t want any one else to get sick or anything He refused to believe that he was being a smart ass. He through his head back and laughed.

It took every once of discipline he had to not go and hunt Ororo down. He knew what it was like to desperately need time for yourself. As long as he had been at the mansion, he had never known Ororo to do anything self indulgent, until now. Everyone one of the adults that came across the Institute had his or her own vice. That was all perfectly normal.

The timing couldn’t be worse.

First the silicon infested Emma wanted in on Xavier’s territory.

Magneto picks this time to make himself known.

His peepsqeek son decides that this is a great time to show up.

There was a near dead girl found at their door.

And it was now that Ororo started to become a permanate fixture in his mind.

A soft growl escaped from his mind. That wasn’t supposed to happen. This very elusive spot was reserved for one person only. For now, forever, and well, never. The magnificent red head had never returned his feelings. He often asked himself why he whittled away his time trying to be her life when in reality he never stood a chance.

Was she worth it?

It was a rhetorical question. Yes. Every stolen moment he had with Jean was worth his time. But he had learned a very valuable lesson through it all.

Force cannot be applied to nature. It just doesn’t work. He tried to force Jean to feel for him. Even though he had gotten under her skin, he could not get to her mind. Scott had his fortified domain there.

When Scott was unnaturally taken away, Logan still had no chance with Jean. She still wanted her love. She would not rest until she had him.

His deadly embrace was the least he could do for her. It was a small, “I’m sorry,” for making her think that she was remotely unhappy with Scott.

The alpha part of him hated it, as it did this newcomer.

Maximoff was nothing good. Thanks to Kitty and Jubilee, he learned a lot of what this man has been doing since his last stay here.

He knew that the uppity Headmistress wouldn’t keep him here for long when she found out.

Still, the idea of Ororo being upset bothered him. Even if it meant keeping Maximoff around longer, he would have to put up with it to give her some sort of happiness.

It made Logan sick to think of Pietro making Ororo happy. But the idea of force in nature came back to him. If it was supposed to happen then it would. But Logan knew that the last time someone came out of nowhere to crash at the mansion and to steal the heart of X-woman, it didn’t work. This idea made the Wolverine smile in a self satisfied way.

The last few days had been rough. Ororo had been anything but happy. Something was wrong. She was making frequent trips to District X, and she was distant. There was air of mystery around her that was newer than the one that usually surrounded her.

She had a problem, and she wasn’t sharing it. Why did she always do that? He was there ready and willing to be apart of this team she was raving about.

He looked at his watch. 8:30. Even though it was a Saturday, most people would be up and eating by now. Ororo would have been finished. He had sniffed around, and no one had even been downstairs.

He knew that Kitty and Jubilee wouldn’t be there. They had spent the last few late nights in the library sorting through their files. But to have an empty kitchen at Xavier’s was a rarity, indeed.

Logan forced himself to go down to the basement and not charge up the stairs to see what Ororo was doing.

When he got to the medical lab, he found a sight that he should have seen coming.

Standing at the head of the bed was a very weary Warren Worthington III. He had not changed his clothes since the last time Logan had seen him, and he sporting three day old stubble. He had his large wings spread out around the table, obscuring the young woman from his view. It looked as if he was shielding her. The younger man’s shoulders flexed and the muscles of his wings rippled, as well.

Logan simply took the remainder of his bagel and finished it in the hall. He knew what it was like to loose yourself in someone within minutes, and to be a hopeless cause after a few days. Angel would actually have a chance, and Logan was very happy for him. God knows someone around here deserves to be happy.

Well, besides Ororo and Speedy McNeedy.

The only thing that bothered Logan was the girl. There was just something familiar about her. He thought he had seen her before. It must have been brief. Maybe it was just a flash or something. He hadn’t even had the chance to really remember her smell.

As much as he felt for the kid, he had a bad feeling about her.

~X~

Ororo woke up with a sudden start. Her hair clung to her face and her room was covered in a fine mist of damp fog. Her daily anxiety was making it harder and harder to sleep peacefully. After getting the temperature under control, she threw on a pair of maroon hot pant and a fitted tee to have some kind of breakfast.

When she got to the kitchen, she frowned. There was dirty dishes in the sink, and the milk was open and it had wet lip marks on it as if someone tasted it before using it.

All of the boys in the mansion knew better. After the time Jean called an emergency morning meeting to find out who was using the milk without glasses, this incident was never to repeat itself. Jean made sure of that. Under her punishing hand, every man in the house a clean right hand for a month.

That was two years ago, before a certain hairy feral man showed up.

“DAMMIT LOGAN!” She grabbed the 2% and stormed down to the sub-basement.

Before she could make her breakfast, she stomped downstairs to the danger room where she knew Logan would be breaking anything in his path.

When she got out of the staircase she kept right on stomping to the danger room, and realized that no one was in it.

“Looking fer me, darlin,” came the gravelly voice that made her want to break every rule.

Ororo held up the accursed evidence in his face. “What is this?”

“Milk?”

“What’s wrong with it?”

He took a good sniff. Nope, nothing in his eyes, or nose. So he shrugged. This seemed to infuriate her more.

“Logan, do you see anything amiss,” she tore of the top and shoved the upper portion of the gallon right back in his face. He still couldn’t see anything wrong with it.

“Did you drink it this morning?”

“Sure did.”

Ororo lowered her voice and calmed it. She sounded like she was trying to get a naughty student to admit that they did something wrong.

“Did you happen to use a glass?”

Logan just tilted his head as if she just spoke a foreign language.

“That’s it, Ro? That’s all ya came down here for.”

“Logan, this is gross. No one wants your spit.” She could have smacked herself as soon as she said that. Maybe he wouldn’t catch her discomfort or her... She lowered the milk jug and watched him slowly stalk towards her. Oh crap.

“That’s not true, darlin’. I can think of at least one person right now.”

Logan watched the frozen Ororo as he took the three steps that brought them within inches of each other. He wished that he had a camera; she looked like a wide eyed doe in the headlights. With that analogy in his mind, he promised himself that he would do what he could to not run her over.

That didn’t mean he wouldn’t cop a feel, smell, or taste when he could. Right now, she was ripe for the taking. He lowered his head to the curve of her neck and shoulder and inhaled long and slow making sure that every part of his nose was saturated in her deliciously overwhelming arousal.

Logan briefly closed his eyes and wondered why she was still for so long. Ever since he had known her she was always walking briskly or talking tactics, missions, or teaching. She was either with Xavier or Scott going over business of the school. When she wasn’t in the school, she and Scott went to recruit for the school. Ororo Monroe was a woman who was never still.

Well, there was that one time.

He remembered it very clearly. It was one of the few moments in the last fifteen years he ever remembered hesitating. The night he went on his fool’s errand to rescue Jean, single handily, from Magneto. She had come into his room, and demanded that he stop being a jackass, think before he acted, and to remember that he was a part of something much larger than himself. Of course it all went in one ear, and out the other.

It wasn’t until she put herself between him and the door and successfully blocked his path, did he realize that she was very serious, and it was all she wanted out of him.

When he saw the stubbornness in her fierce eyes, he knew that he had met his match in her again. Ororo rooted herself in the ground and looked at him with a dare in her eyes. She stood still in a fierce but quiet glory and silently dared him to do something about her presence in his room. Logan took the dare. He had grabbed her shoulders and backed her up against his closed door.

For the worlds longest minute he was able to see Ororo. Sure he had checked her out. And yes, she was the finest and most flawless thing that was female on two legs. But for this instance, he saw something that was deep. She wasn’t being a bitch by being here. She was trying to protect him. This was the only way she knew how for him. That’s what Ororo was by nature, a protector. She protected the children, she tried so hard to protect Xavier, she even tried to get Scott to not go to Alkali. Even through his clouded mind, Logan was able to tell that Ororo was trying to protect Jean too.

During this long minute, Logan couldn’t help but to indulge himself. He wrapped his fingers tightly around her shoulders and pressed her harder against the door. In response her eyes brightened and her lips parted in a surprised sigh.

He should have held his breath. He should have closed his eyes. He really should have let her go. But he did none of those things. He breathed in the scent of fog and a hint of arousal. It nearly made his knees cave in. Her face was flush and full of color. This was the response he wanted from Jean. Now that he had it in his arms, he really didn’t want to let it go. For the rest of this minute, he really didn’t mind that the woman in his arms was Ororo. In fact he really enjoyed it. He knew that a part of him craved it from this woman. He desperately wanted to feel more of the electricity that flowed from each other far more often than what he had been privileged to.

That’s what scared him the most.

He had let her go, and pushed her away. He needed to concentrate on Jean. It was almost ironic that Ororo was the only one who ever managed to get him distracted from her.

It was her parting words that changed the direction of his life.

*If your with us, then be with us.*

No more half-assicity. No more taking advantage of the mansion without giving something in return.

Logan inhaled again, and her mind numbing scent brought him back to reality. Somewhere in all this the milk had dropped and she had backed up to the corner, and he had followed her. Ororo’s shoulder twitched and Logan felt currents of electricity flow down his body feeling a lot like a train of ants tickling him.

Everything was an the verge of being perfect until the force of her knee slammed into his unguarded blood-filled joystick.

All Logan could do was lean into her as he sank to the ground.

“What the hell was that for, woman? That really fuckin’ hurt!”

“No more than a glass table or a grand paino, or even an anvil.” She gave him the same smile she did when those heavy objects rained down on him.

Why did she always have to that? One minute she would be warm and almost welcoming the next she was a frigid witch. She was the polar opposite of Jean. But the normally mellow red had always kept him at arms length. Even if there was a slight chance that Ororo would let him in emotionally, he would take it.

Logan understood that the both of them needed an emotional anchor. So he was going to have to put up with this “maybe yes maybe no” hot and cold game she was playing.

That didn’t mean that he was going to like it. Nor did it mean that he was going to cut her any slack.

When the pain subsided enough for him to stand he did and grabbed her arm in one fluid movement.

“Logan, what are you doing?”

“Where the hell have you been for the last three days?”

Ororo couldn’t believe that this man just asked her that particular question. “Last time I checked where I go and what I do is none of your business. The main reason for that is because you don’t care. You’ve made it clear time and time again, that unless I’m a fog machine or a lighting rod, I am annoying you. Since there is no Jean to keep you still, I honestly don’t know why your still here. Isn’t it time for your monthly get away. I mean seriously, I take three days off for myself, something I haven’t done in five years, and I get twenty questions?”

“Common, Ro. Don’t be that. Alright? I was worried.” He loosed the grip he had on her arm just a little. He gave her a little pout and let his fingers slide against her forearm just enough to feel its silky texture. “Besides, this isn’t ya, Ro. This is that asshole.”

Ororo nearly shocked his anus shut right then and there. “Don’t go there, Logan. You don’t know Pietro, and you sure as hell don’t know me.”

“Look, I know that.” He inhaled and reluctantly dropped her arm. “Can’t ya see it. Damn woman. I’m trying to do what I can to change that. I...I think I’m askin’ ya for a chance, Ro.”

Ororo couldn’t believe what she just heard. What is it with all this awful timing lately? She had to give him credit for being honest. It pricked her heart because she hadn’t been open with everything else that has happened lately. Since he was making a sincere effort into being a true member of this random mutant family, she owed him the truth.

For some odd reason, she thought he was asking for something more intimate than the opportunity of being treated with some civility. This made her wonder if this truly stubborn man had finally given up on his unattainable dream. She willed her heart to keep a slow rhythmic beat. She couldn’t let herself believe that Logan had realized that she was a woman. Not now. Ororo wouldn’t hurt Pietro like that. She had given up her feelings for this Canadian because she believed that Jean would have her way, as usual. It would feel like being stabbed in the neck with a spoon if those feelings resurfaced again only to not see an end result, wether it be good or bad. That was what hurt the most. Nothing was given the chance to happen.

“I’m sorry, and there’s something I need to tell you.” She noticed that their hands were so close together. With a small forward movement with her arm, she let her fingers trace his and laced them together and squeezed gently.

Logan ran his free hand through his thick winged hair making it tousled. He shifted so he could face her. She had her head down and her choppy silver and white locks had gotten in her face. He hated that; she was far to flawless to be covered by that. Before he could stop himself, his fingers had brushed the hair out of her face and the back of his hand ran down the line of her cheek and jaw line. The subtle curve would be forever sketched into his memory. He made a promise to himself not to fuck up with her again, so that he could touch her like this more.

He felt the weight of her leaning into his embrace and the beast inside purred with delight. With her being this responsive, the was a small chance that nothing happened with Pietro.

“Ro, I need to show ya something.”

“Hmm...what?”

“Something bad happened while ya were gone. Ya need to come with me to the lab.”

This snapped her out of her zone. “Oh Goddess, is it one of the students?” She let him go and tried to sidestep him. He place a warm hand on her stomach, just like he did when he found her on the graves. It made her stop moving and completely relax. He must have noticed the change in her posture because he applied more pressure and began to move his hand in small circles.

Logan walked around to stand behind her, while keeping his hand on her stomach. His other hand gently squeezed her waist. He nearly came undone when her teeth bit down on her plump bottom lip. He pulled her flush against him, and buried his mouth in her sky like hair.

“Easy, Ro. She’s ok.” He led her back to the medical lab.

Apparently Warren had finally taken his leave. He left behind dozens of soft white feathers. Both Logan and Ororo had to stifle laughs at that. The poor kid tended to molt when he was stressed out.

Ororo was shocked at the condition of the girl on the table.

“What happened?”

“I was going out- -“

Ororo shot Logan an I-told-you-so look.

Logan smartly ignored it, and went on with his story. He told her how they found “Jane Doe” on bleeding from a stab wound right on the door step of the mansion. Cecilia had come in with Warren and stop the bleeding and managed to get her to begin to heal in record time. It didn’t take much, Logan told her. Whoever stabbed her had just missed her liver.

Ororo walked up to the table with question written all over her face. When she got a good look at her, she let loose a startled gasp.

“Ro? What is it? Do you recognize her?”

“Logan! Don’t you? She was at Alcatrez with the Brotherhood.”

“Are you sure cause I don’t remember seeing her with them. Could she be from the Morlocks?”

“I remember seeing her briefly with Callisto.” When she said her name, Ororo flinched. The memory of the adrenalin rush that fried the violent Morlock leader still bothered her. Logan had his hand on the small of her back for comfort. As usual it worked. It was starting to scare her. “Has she regained conciseness, yet?”

“‘Fraid not.”

“Have you wondered what she’s doing here?”

“Warren and I both think that she didn’t have no place else to go. It was someone’s bright idea to advertise this place as a safe haven.” He gave her his best mock glare. “So what are we going to do with her?”

“We should keep an eye on her. I don’t want her locked up. I would like for her to tell us everything on her own. If she came here by herself with a stab wound, then I think she may need our help, but...”

“Babe, you feel something ain’t right with this, dontcha. So, what were you gonna tell me.”

Ororo led Logan back to the hall outside and told him everything about her letters, Eric, Pietro’s sudden appearance and the missing Wanda.

Logan also opened up about his investigation about the Maximoffs. To his surprise, she wasn’t upset by it. In fact she wanted in on it.

They both agreed. Something was just not “right” about all of this. The timing was to close together for these events to be unrelated.

Inside the medical lab the woman opened her eyes and lifted a stiff and sore arm to brush back some purple strands of hair. She couldn’t believe it. These people were giving her the benefit of the doubt even though they didn’t trust her. That was more respect she had received with the last two bands of vigilante mutants she had joined up with. Here she even found a blond winged Adonis to watch over her. Even the woman who fried Callisto wasn’t the evil bitch her friend had said she was. Maybe this people weren’t so bad. The guy with the claws was a little too dangerous though. It would take a lot to get by him.

No matter how bad “Claws” was, he was a kitten compared to her new boss. Or was that her colorless, maniac, molecular-obsessed ex-boss. She pondered that as the sleeping pill she was given kicked in.

Outside on the bench in the Memorial Gardens, the spirit of Scott watched as his lover slowly approached him. She sat down next to him and hung her head. She wouldn’t meet his eyes.

Uh oh.

“Jean...oh god. You chickened out again didn’t you.”

“I couldn’t.”

“What’s the excuse this time?”

“She was busy finally having that heart to heart with Logan.” That response got her Scott’s angry face. “Oh, you didn’t know about that. I thought you, of all people, would be really happy.” She flashed him a brilliant smile.

He wasn’t falling for it. “Jean, she needs to know, as soon as possible.”

“She has her hands full! I will not burden her more.”

“This isn’t a random crime. Someone exhumed and stole your body, Jean! Tell her!”

She leaned her head on his shoulder, and watched the birds scatter that were in the shading oak tree. “I have a bad feeling about this.”

“Love, your not the only one.”





You must login () to review.