Shadenfreude: Chapter Three



Ororo buried her head in her arms, and wished that she had her friend Sue’s powers. *Why couldn’t I go in space and get stuck in some gamma rays? Then I’d be able to turn invisible and say, “screw it all.”* She contemplated about that idea on a serious level, but then concluded that the X-men in Spaaaaaace would be a bad idea. She felt the wood of the desk warm against her forehead. It felt kind of nice, and it made her lethargic. She wondered if she could feign sick, and have someone else take this call. *Oh wait, there isn’t anyone else.* The school’s faculty had dwindled down to two full time teachers (one of them doing double duty as teacher and administrator, guess who that was), and three part time teachers. She could feel that black cloud of bad luck rumble as if it too was laughing at her. She heard her unwanted guess make towards the door, but then he stopped. She brought her head up to see what was going on.


Instead of leaving and allowing Ororo to be embarrassed by her pathetic appearance by herself, he had decided to stay, and get a first hand account of her humiliation. He was facing the large french style window, but he didn’t miss her narrowing her eyes at him. The chaise lounge that was under the window seemed to call out to him. When he was close enough to it, he jumped on it and threw his legs over it, so that they dangled off the edge. He laid back with his hands behind his head and turned his closed eyes towards the sun. He didn’t need to open them to feel the heat come from the sun, or from the frazzled woman at the desk. Thinking about all that heat made a sly grin appear on the feral man’s face. He opened one eye and caught her staring. The dark and primal part inside of him decided on giving the woman, who made him sweat at night, something to stare at. Legs were stretched out (as were the jeans that covered them), toes were wiggled (showing off those annoyingly sexy black leather Timberlands), and a back was arched high off the furniture rippling the muscles all over his torso. He turned around to each side creaking it, then he worked on his neck. He saw an involuntary nose twitch out his side vision.


It felt like Christmas.


Ororo turned to face her computer so abruptly she nearly fell out of her chair. She heard more creaking and cracking, but she dared herself to not turn around again. The noise stopped, so she began to bring up some files on screen that she new Emma would want to review. She heard paper rustling and figured Logan was reading the Daily Bugle. That reminded her. She looked in the desk for her Blackberry. She started to update her To Do List: renew paper subscription, order new edition English, World history, and Geometry books, collect and examine lesson plans for the remainder of the second marking period, call the repair man for the washers and the dryers, prepare for upcoming field trips, split the x-men into three teams to attack Sam’s Club BJ’s and Costco for much needed supplies...*Why couldn’t one wholesale club just sell everything?*


Creeeeeak, crackcrackcrack....*Oh Goddess no, please don’t tell me- -* Ororo had foolishly looked up, and there he was again. Going at it this time with those arms, tanned ripped and hairy in all the right places. She remembered how they felt like warm butter on her skin earlier, but considering what he was doing with them now, she wanted nothing more than to tear them off and beat him...yep, with his own arms.



“Could you PLEASE stop that?”
“Nope.”
Diediediediediediediediediedie. “I am trying to concentrate,” she added a silent, “you Jack-hole.” All she could do was let out an irritable sigh.
“What time is it, Storm?”
“Are we fighting?”
“Darlin, when are we not?”
“Code names are for missions. I really don’t know how to make it simpler for you.”
“Fine then...Breezy, what time is it?”
“Almost seven thirty, and if you don’t want your scrotum to turn black and fall off, do NOT call me that again.”
“Ya seem to forget that I have a healin’ factor. It allows me to grow my shit back,” he leaned forward and sneered at her, “and better than before.”
“And you seemed to forget that I have a near unlimited amount of electricity at my disposal at any given moment, and whatever I choose to do to you and your appendages WILL hurt, a lot. Oh, and lets also not forget, how you are covered in a highly conductive metal.”


He quickly sat up and folded the paper. Not liking the way that Ororo was brushing him off, he thought of something that would be the proverbial cherry on top of her situation.


“Look I just remembered something I had to do. I’ll be back before the call. And, ah Ro”
“What,” was the curt reply.
“Don’t cha dare lock me out.”
“Alright, fine.”
He gave her a look that said, “Bullshit.”
She pretended to work more on her portable device as he took his sweet time walking to the door. He didn’t need to turn around to know that she was watching him. He could smell her doing it. The urge to stop and inhale as hard as he could was nearly overwhelming. She wished he would get his grabable tight and well toned Canadian behind out of her personal space. As soon as he had both feet over the threshold, he turned around to make sure she was going to let him back in, but the door was suddenly slammed violently in his face and locked into place.



“Ororo? I’m sorry I’m late. There’s a bloody demonstration at my door step. I really can not believe these people have nothing better to do than to annoy children at a school on a Monday morning. Ororo? Are you even there?”
Ororo knew that this day was going to go from slightly crappy to free flow unstoppable diarrhea when she heard the high pitched, slightly accented. former socialite’s voice. Releasing her palms from the thick mahogany door, she slowly made her way back to the computer and plopped down in the chair, then waited for it...


“Oh good Lord woman, what happened to you? Or is it really that dirty in the Institute, and don’t you own actual clothes? Perhaps I should pull my students out earlier than I anticipated.”
“Frost, what are you talking about. The student exchange was for a semester, that’s two marking periods. We’ve just finished the first one.”
“Well, that’s what this staff meeting is about. Didn’t Logan tell you?”
All that could be heard was the grinding of Ororo’s teeth. On that note, Emma moved out in front of the camera, and there was the Board of Trustees at the Academy of Tomorrow. To make matters even better there was a knock at her door followed by a deep and annoyed grumble. She ignored until she heard -snikt- and the door knob turned, and in walked The A...-Logan, Xi’an Manh, Dr. Cecilia Reyes, and Sean Cassidy.


Before she could get any more grief about her unusual appearance, she held up a dirty open palmed hand to halt any questions and comments.
“Let’s just get this over with, shall we. Emma, what is this about taking back your students?”
“We all know that the Institute is dangerously under staffed, and because of that the students don’t have the access to the education that they should.”
“Emma, please don’t kid your brunette self,” Xi’an said. “We know about our staffing difficulties. We have it covered. Not only that, but we are just fine with the extra-curricular activities too.” Xi’an’s barely contained distaste of the other telepath was obvious. They mutual distaste steamed back from their time at the Institute. Apparently more than one telepath in a room was begging for a disaster. Murmuring could be heard, and Xi’an didn’t have to use her powers to know that she had just hit one out of the park.
“What the hell is that supposed to mean, Karma?”
“First of all language Emma, you need to set an example. Second, the Danger Room does precisely what it needs to do. By the way Em, where do your students train?”
Before she could answer, Cecilia piped in with, “Last time I checked it was the backyard.”
“All right, everyone. Enough is enough. I know Emma has a point.”
Ororo took in the visible change of the telepath’s features when Sean defended her. She also noticed Logan’s silence during all of the commotion.
“As I was saying, the Board and I agree that the Institute is not well equipped enough to hold out for the rest of the school year.”


Ororo just held her breath and waited for the noise to start again, and it did. This had gone on long enough. She could feel her heart beat against her chest. Now was the moment to tell them, the longer she waited the more the dissent would be when her faculty found out. She could feel large luminous grey eyes on her. For some reason, instead of annoyance or trepidation, they gave her strength, and an ability to endure.


Logan could tell that Ororo was nervous, and he didn’t like it. In the time that he knew her, he had known only two things to ever get under her skin, so seeing her like this made him want to shake, squeeze, kick, and gut whatever it was that was bothering her. He wanted her to just spit it out. *Common, Roro. Don’t let the plastic wearing heifer get to you*


“Emma, I suggest that you actually read the email I sent you last week. It pertains to this topic.”
“Why should I, and what is it about.”
“I just told you, must you constantly question my athor...Never mind.” Cecilia, Xi, and Sean had looked at her with anticipation. “I know that we cannot survive another school year, but as far as I know, all the students here do not want to get schooling else where. So I was suggesting something of an official merger of sorts.”


“This is the first decent thing that has come out of the Institute, well since myself.” On Emma’s end there was a general consensus of agreement. Logan had never in his life seen a group of people who simultaneously roll their eyes.


Before anyone else could react Peter and Kitty, who seemed to be around each other really rather often now, had come in with the mail.
“Miss. Monroe you have a letter from ahh...hold on...here it is. I thought it was a joke cause it says its from an Eric Lensherr.”


Pin dropping silence was the only thing that could be heard.





You must login () to review.