The shower was scorching hot; just the way he liked it. Of course it was designed to be. State of the art technology adjusted the water heat, pressure and even spray width to the shower occupant’s exact preference. Xavier’s was nothing if not on the cutting edge of technology and beyond. Especially the Danger Room. That one definitely went beyond cutting edge, the room actually adapted to the fighter, the holograms becoming more and more difficult to master. Logan had become so engrossed in the latest holographic inclusions that he had lost track of the time. Emerging from the Danger Room he had been surprised to find it well past eleven in the evening.

Logan rolled his head back, enjoying the sting of heat on the tired muscles of his chest and shoulders. He had given his healing factor quite the endurance workout, but one that felt remarkably good. He closed his eyes, letting out a breath of satisfaction. As with any moment he’d had alone with his thoughts that day, they immediately strayed to Ororo.

He wondered, not for the first time, whether or not she thought of him as he was thinking of her. Erotic, naughty, sexy thoughts that made him throb with a longing that couldn’t be named for fear of the consequences.

Had anyone told him three months ago that he would be harboring deep, gut clenching desire for anyone other than Jean Grey he would have laughed in their faces scant seconds before gutting them. He couldn’t imagine wanting anyone the way he had wanted Jean, but Ororo had surprised him. Though in hindsight it really shouldn’t have. The attraction had always been there between them, he couldn‘t deny that. She was drop dead gorgeous and he was male, but more than that initial attraction, he held a wealth of admiration for the school’s Head Mistress.

He admired her beauty, certainly, but it was her intelligence and determination that had earned her his respect. Not that Jean hadn’t been smart, because she was brilliant, and beautiful. The difference between the two women was simple really. He had wanted to save Jean; had wanted to rescue her from toy soldier, boy-scout Summers and a miserable passionless life, and then ultimately from herself. However, he had no such desire to save Ororo, in fact, scary as it was, he thought maybe she had saved him.

If you’re with us, then be with us.

She demanded that he be a better man than he thought himself capable of. She took nothing less than his all. Gave nothing less than hers. She had enough strength to shoulder the burden left behind in the wake of Scott’s and Charles’ deaths as well as bearing witness to the murder of her best friend, under her command.

It was his blades that stopped Jean’s heart, but it was Ororo’s force of will that had placed him there. She knew that. He could see it in her eyes. Ororo had to be, hands down, the strongest person he had ever met. Strong enough maybe to stand by his side…

Jolting him from his thoughts was a smooth hand that wrapped around his middle, stroking his abdomen. For a brief moment he thought his mind had fashioned Ororo out of thin air, but the smell was wrong. He whirled swiftly, slamming the naked dark haired woman behind him against the wall, one hand closed around her throat, the other drawn back, ready to deploy the weapons housed within.

He shook his hair back, glaring at the woman openly leering at him. “Mystique,” he ground out, belatedly recognizing the scent. Which wasn’t all that surprising, considering that her former mutation had caused her scent to shift as well as her appearance. The only time he had ever caught her by scent was when she had tried to disguise herself as Ororo. No one but ‘Ro could smell like summer rain and winter frost at the same time. ‘Ro’s scent was as distinctive as she was.

Blue eyes sparkled with humorless mirth. “Ah, you recognize me.”

“What the fuck are you doin’ here?” His fingers flexed against her jugular.

She placed her hands over his wrist, trying to subtly, and ineffectually, pry him off. “I live here now. Just like you.”

“Bullshit.” he spat.

“What? You’re the only stray allowed to roam in off the streets?” She practically purred at him. “I thought you of all people would be happy to see me.”

He cocked a disbelieving brow. “Happy to see you,” he repeated with a sardonic edge. “Not flamin’ likely.”

She didn’t look insulted. Instead her lips spread wider and her smile was a little too self assured. “We’re the same you and I.” She lifted her leg, caressing his hairy calf with her foot. “Warriors without a war. Two lonely souls, aching.” She licked her lips. “Can’t you feel the ache?” She lulled, her lashes lowered seductively. She curled her leg around his like a clinging vine, pressing herself against him, her voice a husky whisper. “You lost your greatest love. I’ve lost mine. Perhaps we can use one another to help ease the pain. Let me lick your wounds, Wolverine.”

He snarled at her. “I don’t fuckin’ think so.” With a baring of fang he shoved himself away from her and out of the stall. He snapped up his towel from the rack, hooking it around his waist. He shot her a narrow look over his shoulder before stomping from the locker room.

Mystique, gloriously naked, strolled behind him. “Run, run, run as fast as you can,” she whispered with a cruel twist of her mouth.



“Storm!”

Ororo leaned over the front stairwell banister, wincing at the impatient bellow from her teammate. She had just finished room checks and was on her way down to her office. It had been a long day with the end finally in sight and all she really wanted to do was finish up so that she could get to bed. “Logan! Stop shouting, I’m right here. What is it?” she demanded, her head already pounding.

Despite her aggravated state she took a moment to enjoy the way Logan’s muscles flexed beneath the light cotton of his tee shirt. He moved with a prowler’s grace, lithe and sure. He made love the same way, she knew. She mentally shook herself. No time for thoughts like those. Not that they hadn’t been creeping into her mind all day, regardless. She waited patiently for him, one hand resting on the polished rail, hoping she looked as composed as she feigned.

“I was just accosted in the damn shower, that’s what,” he snapped, halfway up the stairs. “What the fuck is Mystique doing here?”

Ororo grimaced, she knew she should have ankle shackled that woman in her room. “Hank has her under protective cust--wait, what do you mean accosted? She attacked you?”

“In a manner,” he replied dryly.

Ororo needed no elaboration. “Here I thought I could avoid smacking her around before this day was out,” she mumbled nodding her head almost to herself.

Logan’s brow went up. That tone sounded a lot like jealousy. He took the remaining steps between them two at a time. “You gonna defend my honor?” he teased, finding his sour mood suddenly lifted.

Her eyes sparked with irritation. “Don’t start with me.”

In less than a full minute, Ororo had managed to ignite him, arousing him in ways that the naked, fully seductive Mystique couldn‘t even begin to compete with.

Voice taking on a timbre that hinted at growl, Logan leaned forward a bit, “But I like starting with you.”

Ororo inclined her head, giving him an appraising look. “Logan, are you flirting with me?”

He was one step directly below her, and given the difference in their heights put them eye to eye. “If you have to ask, then I’m more out of practice than I thought.”

A subtle blush colored Ororo’s cheeks. “Look, Logan, about last night…” she paused, glancing around to make certain no one was within earshot, though she knew most everyone was in their own rooms. “I’m not usually…what I mean is…” Well, shit, this was awkward.

He cocked his head, waiting. When she still didn‘t finish he prompted. “’Ro?”

“I don’t do one night stands.” She blurted, without meeting his eyes.

His lips twitched. He hadn’t figured she was the type to hump and run, but to hear her say it, however hastily she tossed it out there, gave him a growing familiar sense of warmth. “Good. ‘Cuz neither do I.”

She hadn’t been expecting that response, he noted, from her startled expression. “Oh,” she responded for lack of anything better.

“Yeah.” He touched the backs of his fingers to her cheek, watching her eyes flicker warily. They would tell him everything he needed to know. Their depths were so revealing, he’d come to realize. How he had ever thought her cold was beyond him.

They darkened to a deep chocolate. “Logan…”

He had her. “I like to hear you say my name.”

“You do?”

“Yeah.” He brushed his thumb over her lips. “Sexy.”

She fought down the urge to nip the pad of his thumb. Anyone could walk into the foyer and see them. She cleared her throat, trying to maneuver past him. “I, uhm, have some papers to file.”

He caught her and backed her up a step, then another, then another. “They can wait.” He clasped her nape. “I can’t.”

“Lo--” Her protest, albeit a weak one, died a premature death at the swift invasion of his tongue into her mouth. She clutched his shoulders, wrapping her legs about his waist as he lifted her. He marched up the stairs determinedly, never breaking contact with her mouth. He wanted her so bad he thought for sure he’d bust through his jeans. No way was he making it up another floor to his bedroom.

He pressed her back against the wall near one of the window alcoves, hidden mostly in shadow. He drew the drapes shut with a quick jerk, concealing them from any outside prying eyes, unlikely though they may be. “Jesus,” he rasped pulling at his belt buckle. “Gotta have you.”

“We can’t, not here,” she whispered raggedly even as she sucked his lip into her mouth and lifted the bottom of his shirt over his washboard stomach.

“Sure we can.” He countered with a rasp, tangling his fingers in her hair and devouring her mouth. He used his mouth and hands to encourage her. “Everyone’s asleep. We just have to be quiet.”

She gave him an incredulous look but he was too busy tugging his fly open to notice. Ororo gasped the moment his thick erection sprang free. She felt heat pool low in her belly and knew she was lost.

He grinned wolfishly, her scent filling his nostrils. With quick tugs he lowered her slacks to her knees. “Bend over,” he commanded, turning her around and leaning her forward so that her hands rested on the pillows of the reading bench beneath the window. This was probably the only way that Ororo Munroe would take orders from him, he thought with a twist of amusement.

She had a magnificent ass, he couldn‘t help but notice, running the flat of his palm over the rounded curve before giving it a sharp slap.

Ororo shot him a startled look over her shoulder.

He shrugged with his devil may care smile. “Couldn’t help it.”

“Do try,” she whispered sharply.

“Afraid you might like it?” he teased.

She couldn’t prevent her answering smile. “Freak.”

He bent down and bit the reddened skin gently. “Been called worse.” He moved his mouth lower.

Ororo closed her eyes, her body clenching around an unexcelled breath. “Oh,” she cried out as he found her damp heat.

Logan was lost in her. She tasted so good on his tongue. He plunged deep, licking and swirling. He felt her knees give way and he caught her around the waist. He stood and with a sharp snap of his hips he thrust forward, burying himself inside.

“Logan.” Her full moan drove him on.

“You’re so goddamn hot.” He pulled her hips back, each pump from him giving them both exquisite pleasure. “Wet.” He watched his slick cock slide in and out. “Beautiful.”

Ororo grit her teeth, her ragged breaths echoing in her head. The need for silence only seemed to enhance her pleasure until she wanted to scream. When his fingers slipped between their straining bodies to rub her overly sensitive clit she nearly did. “Oh, oh, god, Logan.”

“You like that?”

“Yes.” She whispered harshly, her face scrunched in a grimace.

“How ‘bout this?” He took his finger and swirled it around her anus, slowly sinking in.

“Logan!” Ororo arched back, her startled cry louder than she had wanted, but she was unable to control it.

He grinned. “That’s a yes.” He pressed in and out in time with his thrusts. She quivered. He loved that feeling. “Come for me.”

Ororo moaned helplessly as his cock and finger brought her to completion. She bit her lip so hard she thought she may have drawn blood as her orgasm overtook her. She reared against him, her ass grinding into him as she rode it out.

Logan gasped, her muscles clenching to the point of pain, his eyes shut. He thrust rapidly, his balls slapping her ass as he pushed into her, harder and harder. “Fuck, fuck, fuck.” He chanted his favored four letter word over and over, hating the fact that his own orgasm would soon be unavoidably upon him. He didn’t want to stop.

With a growled litany of swear words he pulled out, turning her around once more.

She looked so enticing, her eyes heavy lidded and hazy with passion, her face flushed and damp, her lips parted and swollen.

He lowered her down to sit on the nook, yanking her pants completely off, spreading her legs wide. He sank to his knees in front of her. With hooded eyes he watched his hand splay her tender flesh. She tried to close her legs, modesty making her feel too open, too vulnerable.

“Don’t,” she whispered.

“Let me,” he encouraged. “You’re so damn beautiful, ‘Ro. Everywhere.” He stroked down, circling her swollen clit with his thumb.

Ororo was captivated by the intense look on Logan’s face. He looked savage, aggressive, yet eerily adoring.

His eyes searched hers as he sunk two fingers deep.

She moaned.

He panted with restraint. “’Ro…”

She nodded, needing no words of explanation, feeling his hunger.

“If I hurt you…”

She trusted him as much here as she did in battle. Perhaps because the two were so similar for them. “You won’t.”

“Spread your legs,” he commanded, leaning back only long enough to remove his shirt.

“Like this?”

Oh, God. “Perfect,” he growled. He pulled her forward, his mouth replacing his fingers. He lapped at her, hungrily licking and swallowing her juices. He rumbled against her swollen flesh, nipping.

“Logan, please.”

He jerked her down onto his lap, surging up as he did so.

Ororo came immediately. Her body convulsed and her mouth opened on a silent scream. Her fingernails bit into his shoulders as she whimpered his name in surrender.

“Christ,” he swore, his movements hard and fast. He lifted and jerked, pushed and pulled, plunged and took. Harder, harder, harder. “Fuck, ‘Ro. Take it, baby. Take it.”

“Logan, I can’t…I can’t…”

“You can.” He pressed her all the way down, filling her. He threw his head back, a guttural sound torn from his very soul.

Ororo arched back, her eyes white as snaps of lightning arced between them.

Logan spasmed, the shock stunning him. He gripped her hips, reflexively spurting deep inside.

Released from the electric current they slumped against one another, winded. Ororo wrapped her arms around his neck, trying to keep from weeping.

Logan stroked her back, her hair, her face. He too was in awe. “Fuck, that was amazin’.”

Ororo gasped, trying to compose herself. It was, she knew, and she knew why. She loved him. Her worst fear had come true. She had given herself completely to him and yet he had held back. She had felt it. She didn’t know what to do now.

Logan lifted her face, capturing her lips in a lingering kiss that tempted her to believe that maybe he could love her too. It was so achingly tender. She didn’t want to let the moment pass.

For his part, Logan didn’t relish the idea of letting her go either, but he needed a moment to clear his head. He couldn’t believe how consumed he had been, taking her in the hallway for Christ’s sake.

Neither of them spoke as they dressed. Forgoing paperwork Ororo followed Logan up the stairs. At his door he pulled her close, kissing her again. He didn’t ask her to stay, however, and she made no move to join him. With a soft “goodnight” Ororo continued down the hall to her private staircase.

Once inside she wandered to her balcony. The fresh air felt good on her fevered skin but it did nothing to soothe her hectic thoughts. Could he love her? Would he? Could she handle it if the answer was no? He had loved Jean so much. Was there room for her?

Ororo stared out across the Great Lawn for a long time, contemplating those questions.


A few hours later…

In his room, Logan lay on his back, staring at his ceiling in the exact same position he had been in since he had flopped into bed. He rubbed his forehead with his hand, cursing. He couldn’t get her out of his head. It was sick, this addiction.

Rationalizing what he was feeling wasn’t really giving him any piece of mind either. So, she was a phenomenal fuck, so what? Look at her. How could she not be? She was perfection. She was fierce and sexy and loyal and…sonuvabitch, he was doing it again. Listing all the things about her that he admired. Maybe he should start cataloguing all the things about her that irritated the shit out of him. Then maybe little Logan would settle down and he could get some fucking sleep.

She was bossy. Demanding even. “Inside. Now!”

Shit. Okay, moving on. She was too uptight. So fucking tight.

Damn it.

“Fuck it,” he swore savagely, swinging his feet over the side of his bed.

Moonlight filtered through gossamer curtains, casting Ororo’s room in a pale glow. He moved silent across the hardwood, watching the deep, even rise and falls of her chest. She looked damn peaceful, he thought, a bit bitterly. While he had lay awake, his thoughts and body in turmoil she had been up here, sleeping like a baby.

He stood over her, his hands clenched at his sides, uncertain as to what exactly he was hoping to accomplish.

“Logan?” Ororo yawned, blinking rapidly, having just gotten to sleep only moments ago.

“It damn well better be,” he growled.

She sat up, running one hand through her hair. “What’s wrong?”

“Can’t sleep.” He pulled back her comforter.

“What are you doing?”

“Coming to bed.”

This was not good, she told herself, already shaking her head no. Her heart was already far too fragile.

His lips sought and found hers, prodding them apart. “Can‘t seem to get enough of you,” he said softly, lightly coaxing. “Say I can stay.”

“Logan, it’s not a good idea,” she whispered.

“Sounds like a great idea to me.”

“That’s because you’re horny.”

He bit her lightly for that bit of snarkiness. “If you don’t want me, tell me to go then.”

Rotten bastard. She maneuvered her mouth away from his, his lips too great a distraction. “You need to go.”

“Hnh.” He licked her pulse point. “That was hardly convincing.”

She sighed. “Logan…”

“Oh, yeah, that is definitely a stay.” He smiled down at her, his eyes mischievous. “You want me. Admit it.”

She scootched back a bit, a hesitant, answering smile on her face. To hell with it. He had come to her, right? Didn’t that count for something? “Don’t get me wrong. You’re entirely adequate as far as sex goes, but I can’t have you hogging my bed--”

Logan gaped at her. Entirely adequate? Little witch! He tugged her back towards him, pinning her hands over her head. “Adequate,” he repeated, baring his teeth in a dangerous fashion.

Ororo laughed, knowing she’d pricked his ego. “Definitely adequate,” she said with overly bright reassurance.

“Woman,” he warned. “I’ll make you beg.”

“Ha!” she challenged foolhardily.

Twenty minutes later Logan had the satisfaction of hearing Ororo whisper and plead for him to take her. Forty five minutes later it was he who was groveling as she teased and tormented him.

The sex was just as passionate as before, only less frantic. They took their time, enjoying each caress, each stroke, every whispered endearment that would never be spoken in the light of day.

He touched her reverently, gently, with infinite tenderness and she returned the gesture, telling him with each touch and kiss how she adored him.

When at long last they found release it was silent, lips melded in a kiss that spoke the words neither was prepared to give.

Sweat slicked and finally sated they lay side by side on her bed for a long time.

It was Logan that broke the silence. He spoke to her ceiling. “Whatever this is between us, ‘Roro… it’s mutual. I want you to know that. I ain’t stringin’ ya on for a piece of ass, and I’d hope you weren’t with me. I don’t got words for it, and I’m not sure I want to give it a name, but I do want you to know that I’m in it with you. Whatever this is.” He rolled to his side, facing her, looking uncharacteristically vulnerable. “That is, if you want me.”

Ororo swallowed the lump in her throat. It wasn’t a declaration of undying love, but it was something. It was a start. “Yes, Logan, I want you,” she whispered, touching his whiskered jaw.

“Good,” he nodded once. Satisfied he pulled her against his shoulder, kissing her forehead. He felt more content than he could remember feeling in a long, long time.

~X~


Bolivar Trask examined the files before him carefully. He had read them before, countless times, and his memory was as pristine as ever, but he wanted to make damn sure he had not missed a thing. If his mission was to be successful then he couldn’t afford to be caught off guard. One mistake could compromise the entire operation.

As it was his factory and training facilities would be up and running in six months, fully staffed and operational inside of a year. Longer than he had wanted, but fast enough to ensure that everything met his specifications without taking years.

He set the files down and picked up one of the loose sheets. It was a roster of local FoH members. FoH, better known to the media as the Friends of Humanity, was a sect of ant mutant activists with military training. Involving them would be risky, a risk was posed when involving any fanatic, but Bolivar needed soldiers. Men to watch the streets, protect the citizens and deliver justice in the interim between now and when Project Wideawake was to launch.

Tomorrow he would be finalizing a deal with a multimedia mogul, allowing him access to a network of satellites that could be used for real time observation and location. After that he was having dinner with Judge Petrie, cultivating a legal plan of attack and counterattack that would help keep him out of the government’s hands and more importantly out of Hank McCoy’s long reach.

Bolivar settled back in his chair, eyes closed. The pieces were all falling together. He smiled.

~X~


“Could you be any more obvious? I see the way you look at her, Bobby, I’m not dumb!”

Bobby cringed, glancing furtively at the small crowd near the foot of the steps in the hallway that had stopped talking in order to look their way. He took Marie by the elbow, leading her to the foyer. “What?” Her outburst caught him completely off guard. Hell, all he had done was say good morning to Kitty and when he’d turned back around Marie had been glaring daggers at him.

“Don’t play stupid.” Marie snapped, hating the way her tongue ran rampant ahead of her brain. She really loathed the traitorous flip of her heart when she looked at Bobby. With his wavy hair and vivid eyes and movie star good looks, Bobby Drake was a heartthrob, plain and simple.

Bobby sighed. “Is this about Kitty?”

She gave him a look. “Well, well, look who finally caught up.”

“All I said was hello,” he said, irritated. He crossed his arms over his chest , asking the question he had wanted to ask for months. “What the heck is your problem with Kitty anyway?”

“You mean aside from the fact that she wants my boyfriend?”

“She doesn’t want me,” he argued.

“Sure, Bobby.” Marie rolled her eyes. “Every time I turn around she’s hovering near you. Always asking to talk. Why do you suppose that is? Hm?” Her eyes narrowed.

“Maybe because we’re friends and she lives here.” Bobby countered. Truth was Kitty rarely spoke to him anymore. She was usually with Jimmy, and more and more lately Peter. Bobby missed her quirky conversation, mischievous teasing and laid back humor. He had been willing to let his and Kitty’s friendship slip in order to make time for Marie, to help her adjust to life without her powers. He had wanted their relationship to strengthen, but all it had done was continue to crumble despite his best efforts.

“Like hell,” Marie stated, her voice rising. Her eyes wavered, tears brimming.

“Whoa.” Logan rounded the corner, his ears perked at Marie’s scathing tone, scenting her sadness and anger. He gave Bobby a dangerous look. “What’s goin’ on, Pop-ice?”

Bobby surprised Logan by straightening and meeting his dark eyes directly. “Having a conversation with my girlfriend, Logan.”

Logan glanced at Marie. “You okay, kiddo?”

She nodded. “Yeah.” She turned away from Bobby. “Can we talk?” she asked Logan.

He met Bobby’s eyes. The younger man nodded, walking away stiffly.

“What’s goin’ on, darlin’?” Logan asked, walking with Marie out the front doors and into the courtyard. It was a beautiful day with a clear sky and a scattering of wispy clouds. He tucked his hands in his pockets, waiting for Marie to tell him what was on her mind.

“I thought it would be different,” she said softly.

He waited, giving her time to speak.

“When I took the cure, I thought…hell, I don’t know. I thought…”

“That it would fix everything.” Logan provided.

She nodded, having her thought finalized. “Yeah. But everything seems worse.”

Logan cocked his head. “By everything you mean Popsicle.”

She chuckled a bit at that. “Yeah.” She paused, looking up at the sky. “He feels like my everything.” She cast him a shadowed look. “You know what that’s like.”

Logan nodded slowly, having known that feeling with Jean.

“I thought that taking the cure was the answer. But now…” she trailed off. “Maybe not.”

“A quick fix usually ain’t the solution,” Logan agreed.

She gave him a sharp look.

“I’m not sayin’ ya shouldn’t have taken the cure,” he clarified. “Just that ya shouldn’t have held out the expectation that it’d fix everything. Real relationships take work,” he added.

After a short pause she asked, “Is that what you’re doing with Storm? Working on a relationship?”

He had been waiting for this question. Knew Marie would be the one to ask it. He also knew she wouldn’t like his answer. “Could be.”

“She doesn’t suit you.”

Logan snorted. “Didn’t ask ya, sweet-pea. Besides, you have your own relationship to be focused on.”

Marie shrugged. “Maybe not. I don’t know how much longer me and Bobby will work. It’s like every day he’s farther and farther away from me.”

“And he’ll only keep drifting the more you push him.” Logan provided. He turned her, grasping her shoulders gently. “Look, kiddo, I ain’t the best guy to get romantic advice from, but I can tell ya that that boy cares about you. If you care about him, then let him know. Leave the negative shit for someone else to shove on him.”

“But Kitty--”

“Is not the real problem.”

Marie sighed in frustration. “And what exactly is the real problem, Dr. Logan?”

“Trust.” Logan stated point blank. “You either trust him or you don’t.”

Marie mulled over what he said. After a time she said, “I trust him.”

“Then that’s all that matters now, ain’t it.”

The pair continued towards the paths that led around the estate, no longer talking, content in one another‘s company.



Inside the Institute Ororo was finishing up her phone conversation with Sean Cassidy. “Thank you for getting back to me,” she said.

“Sorry it took so long, lassie. I was unreachable fer a time. Trekking the Highlands and such.”

Ororo smiled into the receiver. “Sounds enjoyable.”

“Oh, ‘tis, lass. It surely is. Ever been t’ Scotland?”

“No,” Ororo said. “I would love to some day, but as of yet, no.”

“Beautiful country.”

“So I’ve heard.” She flipped open her planner. “So, Mr. Cassidy I will expect you on the twentieth.”

“Yes, and it’s Sean.”

“Very well, Sean. Welcome to the Xavier’s family.”

“Glad t’ be aboard. Theresa has not’in’ but the highest praise fer yer school, same wit‘ Moira.”

The brogue on the other end thickened a bit when he referenced his daughter and Moira, Ororo noted. “Theresa is a delightful student and Moira a dear friend.”

“Be seein’ ye soon, then.” He hung up.

Ororo grinned, circling the date in her planner. She was almost fully staffed with time to spare She couldn’t believe she had pulled that out of her rear-end.

“What has you so radiantly cheerful?”

Ororo glanced up, her grin widening. “Sean Cassidy just confirmed.”

“Excellent,” Hank McCoy nodded his approval striding into her office.

“With him on board, and Logan taking Scott’s Mechanics class, all I need now is an Ethics Professor and--”

“Consider the position filled,” Hank interjected.

“Really? You can manage that?” She didn’t want Hank to burn himself out.

“Absolutely. It will be my relaxing time.”

That was true. Henry loved to teach and even more loved to debate and Ethics was a fine subject for him.

“Great.” Ororo hugged him. “You’re the best.”

“Ahem.” Logan leaned in the doorway, one brow cocked, a snarl curling his lips.

Henry growled right back.

Ororo rolled her eyes. Testosterone Showdown could have been a game show at the Institute.

“Intrusive bugger, isn’t he?” Henry semi joked, gesturing towards Logan.

Ororo grinned. “At times.”

“You do know how to make a guy feel welcome.” Logan winked at her.

Ororo shook her head, her mood light. “Sean Cassidy confirmed,” she told Logan.

He lifted one shoulder in an indifferent motion. “’Kay.”

“Ororo is pleased because now the faculty roster is complete.”

Logan pushed away from the doorway, entering the room. His eyes twinkled. “Is it now? You found someone to take Scott’s class?”

Ororo slanted him a look. “You.”

He gave her a dangerous smile. “We had a deal on that, remember.”

Ororo’s smile made Logan’s seem tame. “As I recall the conditions were for me to take you down, knock you on your ass... Get you on your back, so to speak. I believe I’ve fulfilled the requirement.”

Henry’s bushy brows touched his hairline. Oh, my stars and garters.

Logan swallowed hard. Damn her. He ignored Henry’s inquisitive look. “In combat,” he clarified.

“Ah,” Ororo murmured. “Well, then. Shall we?” She made a sweeping gesture towards the door.

“What?” Logan looked at her. “Now?”

“No time like the present,” she acknowledged.

Logan watched her saunter past him and into the hall.

Henry’s deep chuckled drew an irritated look from Logan. “Something to say, Fur-Ball?”

Henry attempted to compose himself, not quite managing to rid himself of the grin altogether. He tugged at the bottom of his suit jacket and straightened his tie. He gave Logan a courtly nod. “Good luck.”

Logan had a feeling he was going to need it.





You must login () to review.