Willow walked soundlessly behind Ororo as the turned around corner after corner, passing through room after room. Her wings were tightly folded between her shoulder blades, on each wing the one lone feather brushed the floor. She had no clothes except for the clothes she had worn when they found her in, an old grey jumper, with slits for her wings, and matching hospital trousers. They had been washed thoroughly, and smelt of fresh flowers; she couldn’t remember a time that she had been treated so nicely, maybe because she had never been treated so kindly?

As the crowd of on looking students became too much, she took Ororo’s hand and huddle in closer, burring her head in Ororo’s thigh. Some were curious, and some were enthusiastic about her being here. Even though the faces were cheerful, she still felt rather paranoid.

Ororo looked down at her, “It’s okay, there is no need to be afraid.” She ran a hand through Willow’s hair as Logan did with her. Will had not spoken much since she woke, and during her x-ray she had tensed up, she couldn’t relax as they had told her to. They weren’t allowed to find out about her, know one was. Jean had tried to sedate her, only to have Will slam her into a wall, taking the needle from Jean’s hand and sticking it in the older woman’s neck, all in an act of fear. The bird child had run to Logan, wrapping her arms around her waist for dear life. Hank could not tear her from him, not matter how much strength he could muster, Willow had proved to be the superior of the two.

It had been the results of the x-ray that had shocked her most.

“Amazing!” Hank had blurted out, as he placed the x-ray up on the board, comparing Wills x-ray with a humans “Outstanding. Ororo come look.” He said taking hold of Ororo’s arm bringing her to the glowing screen “Look at her bone structure, its marvelous!” He chimed again.

“Hank I am no doctor, so I have no idea at what I am seeing.” Her eyes skimmed over the two different x-rays, only seeing that one of the forms shown looked more developed than the other.

“Ah yes.” Lifting a finger to the screen he continued, “These are her bones, they’re more brittle than an ordinary nine year olds, there thinner, lighter, and much like a birds. Basically her structure has been grafted perfectly for flight, so there is less weight to carry, making it easier to become airborne.”

“And these?” Ororo said pointing at two random areas of the picture.

“These here are her lungs, as you can see there much bigger than ours, most likely for her to take in more oxygen for rapid blood flow when she’s in the air, also her muscles are much larger, it would help gather more power when…well…flapping.”

“You’re a biochemist Hank and the best term you can come up with is flapping?” He nodded, “So what’s this, another muscle?”

“You could say that, or in easier terms its young Willow’s heart, her heart needs to be much bigger if she’s to fly.”

“But Warren, he has none of these extremities.” Hank shook his head.

“Warren’s got his mutant gene to thank.” He paused, “Ororo, I do not think Will is a mutant, I will run some more blood tests, but that is what I think.”

And so time had went by, bringing her to this moment. It felt as if she was back The Institute, with the dirty looks, both men and women looking at her, pushing her down went she got on to her feet. Independence was one thing they allowed her not to have. To the white coats, she was a rodent, a parasite. Matthew had told her that to them she was like a pin cushion, an object that’s prodded and poked with needles galore. She missed Matthew. Her vision became clouded just from thinking about him most days. No loving father would have there only son go through that torture. The Man had not been loving. She shuddered at the memories.

Ororo came to an abrupt halt. Willow found herself face to face with a large wooden door. It creaked open gently, as Ororo led her inside. Her fingers finding the light switch, Ororo, with a soft click, brought light upon the room. Willow squinted at the intensity, she had enhanced senses, after all they trained her to survive. Will had many talents, such as night vision, a gift that had allowed her to escape, she could heal small tissue wounds, one of the many things that kept her alive, she had a built in sense of direction like a bird, as well as enhanced sight, allowing her to see the ground below as she flew, helping her to be more aware of her surroundings, her hearing was also enhanced, allowing her to hear sounds within a two maybe three mile radius but only if she focused hard enough. The last thing was that she could fly, but that was rather obvious.

She let herself walk over to the bed that was centered in middle of the room, the head rest leaning up against the wall; bedside cabinets stood at each side, there was a desk opposite the bed, with a straight back chair tucked under it. She smiled vividly, making her face light up in awe. Moon light streamed in from the overly large window that had been built on the far wall. She ran to it and closed the curtains, holding in the light. She rested her small head on the cool covered glass, as she took deep breaths.

“Thank you.” Was about all she could manage at the time. Her voice was like music, warm and welcoming to all ears. It was enough to make your heart crumble. She heard something smash upon the window pain as she listened, as she was trained to. The same noise hit the window pane, and it carried on over and over. Ororo trod aimlessly across the room, resting a hand on Willows shoulder. Curiously, the girl looked up, Ororo simply smiled at her.

“It’s raining,” She said, “‘She wept, and the sky wept with her.’” She said drawing the curtains open. There was hardly a cloud in the sky, and true to Ororo’s words it wept, feeling her sadness. “There are many things you must know Will,” She whispered, “the most important is knowing that you are not alone.” Will frowned, clearly not understanding Ororo’s words.

The wind whipped against the glass, causing it the window to open, Willows eyes widened unable to stop it. Thunder boomed over head, as clouds formed quickly in the sky. She turned to see Ororo, a smile planted on her dark lips; her blue eyes now shone a brilliant white, Will watched as she raised her hands to the sky, lightening shot through the sky, and into the bedroom, nestling itself into Ororo’s palm. It danced in her eyes, as she manipulated it, hurling it back into the sky, the clouds dispersed at a dangerous speed.

“How do you think I was able to catch you?” She asked, watching the girl’s amazed expression feverishly. The wind gently died down, and in the same moment Ororo’s eyes reversed from white to blue. The door burst open instantly, causing both Ororo and Will to jump.

“Whoa, sorry didn’t mean to scare ya.” Logan said as he walked into the room, coming up close to Ororo, searching her expressionless face, he sighed deeply, silently taking in her scent.

“It is quite alright Logan.” Ororo said, dumbfounded, he placed a hand on her cheek, she leaned into the touch. “I wish you would stop fussing.” She said calmly. She gave him a quick peck on the lips, as they always did, though she never knew he was always holding back, not wanting to scare her away and ruin their friendship. And he never knew, that deep down, she wanted it all, the passion and lust that she had almost forgotten.

With a quick nod he turned to leave, only to be stopped by a small hand on his, Willow smiled shyly as he bent down, levelling himself with her. She blushed as she followed Ororo’s actions by quickly brushing her lips on his. “Thank you.” She said, looking at her feet, her hands behind her back.

“Err…yer welcome.” He said looking at ‘Roro, slightly dazed, and running a hand through his hair as he stood. Without another word he was gone.

“He likes you.” Willow said staring at the door. Ororo sighed, she smiled to herself seeing that the child knew more than she did, and Will had been here for what, five minutes? And Ororo had been here a lifetime. And yet she said nothing in response to the child, only furthering Wills theory that they were made for each other, though they had not been made the same way she had. She frowned. Willow had never felt love, never really felt at all really, She had cried, many times over, especially when Matthew left, he had helped her, but she hadn’t been able to help him. “Fly, my angel, you can do it, I know you can, I believe in you. Spread your wings and fly!”, “I can’t, I don’t know how! Besides I‘m not going to leave you, I wont! I can’t!”, “Don’t worry about me, we’ll find each other, it’s our nature, it’s what a flock does, now fly!” Her heart shuddered against her chest. She could trust these people, couldn’t she? They sure trusted her.

“Come my child, lets us join the others for supper, I’m sure your starved.” Ororo said with a lopsided smile, still blushing at Willows words. She chuckled at the look on Ororo‘s face, and soon after so did Ororo. It was contagious. And for an instant Matthew had left her. Reaching the hallway, Ororo held the door handle, closing the door tightly as they walked, Ororo’s words and Willow laughter became all but muffled sounds.

And perhaps one day, they would drift and become distant memories.





You must login () to review.