He fell, his wounded knees bled as they once again scrapped the forest floor, he inhaled sharply, pushing the scream down that threatened to erupt. Branches scratched his face, his arms, and tore his clothing, none of that stopped him. Yes, the pain may have been excruciating, but his adrenaline cursed it’s way into his blood system, making it impossible for him to stop running. His feet hit every sharp rock, lose stick and the occasional tree root tripped him up, but he couldn’t afford to stop, slowing down meant imminent death. He couldn’t let that happen, he’d made a promise, and it was the only thing that kept him going. Angel, my Angel.

The wind howled, causing his ears to betray him as he ran. Turning fiercely, he drew the gun held in his hand, and fired at his imaginary foe, he sent bullets in every direction, but hit nothing but bark. He sucked in a breath, savouring it as if it was his last. “ARGH!” He screamed, feeling a sudden heat in his left shoulder, a gun wound. He could already feel the torn flesh repairing itself. Though the moon was out, and he was surrounded by darkness, he knew roughly were every tree was, even if he was half blinded by the dark, unlike his Angel, he didn’t have night vision, he went by sound. He heard men shouting, and dogs barking in the distance. Yet he stumbled on. The odds of him surviving were about a thousand to one. Yet he trudged on. He had gotten too far to turn back now. “You promise you‘ll find me? Matthew, promise me, you must promise me!”, “I promise, now go, get outta here!”.

“Angel, my Angel!” He muttered to himself, his teeth gritted together in sheer rage. He listened closely to the wind, focus. He heard them, and much clearer than before, almost as if he was there with them. Men with guns, cold blooded killers. Hunters.

“We must not let him escape, the stakes are too high.” He recognised the voice, so many times it had vibrated of the walls, nestling itself in his ears, bastard, fucking bastard.

“What are your orders sir?” The voice was muffled out, by the masks the hunters always wore, they weren’t human, nothing in The Institute was human, unless you were a creator, a scientist.

“Retrieve him if you can, and if not, kill him!” His voice was emotionless, as it had always been. Why did God create such people, that’s what he didn’t understand.

“But sir, he’s your own son!” This guy had some nerve, but this guy was a woman, and she was all human too, she was the one keeping this whole project hushed down, she was the one who exterminated anyone who got in the way. She was the best at what she did. Celia. “Why are you doing this? She’s a child, for gods sake, Celia.”, “They’ll kill me if I don’t!”, “They’ll kill you anyway, don’t you see that, you’re a pawn.”, “I’m sorry, Matt, I really am.”, “I gave you my heart, everything, and your just going to blow a hole straight through it.”, “Matt please. I can’t do this anymore.”, “Then don’t.”

“I said kill him. Kill them both!” No not my Angel. He would sacrifice his own life, if it meant freeing hers. She was the family he’d never had, he was her protector, “You’re my big brother, aren’t you? Well big brothers are meant to protect their younger sisters. You have to come with me Matt, I can’t do it on my own.” Angel.

He pushed himself harder, his legs burning from the strain he put them in. He was going into overdrive, so much so that his eardrums sent a light pop through is system, he winced at the slight pain. He felt as if he’d swam to the deep end of a swimming pool jus to try touching the bottom. His eyes clouded over, not that he cared anyway.

His legs stopped working in that instant, there was no more ground beneath him, he tilted forward, peering over the edge. It was roughly a two-hundred foot drop, the ocean’s waves were loud as they crushed the rocks below, lapping against the cliffs face. No flying, well fuck that! He thought as a small ruffle of footsteps made their way to Matthews ears. There was only one. One dark figure came from the trees wake, one dark figure that stood in front of him, the dark figure raised his gun, only to throw it ten feet away from his person. Matthew watched in silence. The figures gloved hand reached to his face mask, pulling it back, revealing the long dark locks, and the ever so tanned skin, and beautiful brown eyes of..

“Celia!” He said, shaking his head from side to side, in disbelief.

“I told you I couldn’t do it anymore Matt, I told you I..” She trailed off, not being able to finished her sentence as it became to hard to bear. “I’m sorry.” She finished. Staring him in the eyes.

“I need to find her Celia, I can’t leave her on her own.” His voice was deep, and full of so many emotions, love, betray, hurt, anger…fear.

“I know, that’s why I’m letting you go.” She produced a sad smile. “I love you Matt, I love you.” She said as she made her way towards him. She pressed her lips tightly against his. “I hope you find her.” She said against his lips as they drew apart.

“So do I.” He crushed her lips with hers, for what felt like the last time. With her hands resting on his chest she pushed him, just as he unfurled his wings, they were a beautiful creation, he was a beautiful creation. She looked at him and smiled, baring her pearl white teeth.

“Go Matt, go find your sis.” She said, waving her arm and pointing out into the distance. He watched her as she turned her back to him.

“Hey Celia!” He called out as she made her way out into the distance. She turned to face him, waiting curiously at what he had to say. He smiled. “I love you too.” This time, her smile reached from ear to ear. ‘Go’ she mimed and he did just that, without another word passing between them he left, his wings going up and down as he made his escape, leaving the woman he loved, to find the child, he adored. His sister.

I’ll find you Angel, even if it takes me the rest of my life, I’ll find you, just like I promised. Always.





You must login () to review.