It was quiet, maybe too quiet, but right now that was a good thing, wasn’t it? Maybe whacking Dr. Jeb in the head full pelt wasn’t a good thing, but the silence was working for them. The main entrance was a thick, long door made of a steel allow, bolts ran all the way up the side, a huge lock was empty, awaiting the keys onslaught a key which they had. With as much power as he could muster, Matthew brought the key to the lock, turning, hoping it would click. It did. The two waited and watched on as the cogs started spinning opening each bolt, one slowly after another. Voices could be heard.

They looked back, fear had long gone their knowing looks, anger, rage, the want for freedom finally kicked in. their training. They were failed experiments, but they were made to survive. Blue eyes locked onto brown, “You ready?” He asked looking at the younger girl. All she could muster was a nod. “Good!”

They steadily moved out of the door, running into the cool night air, as the young girl ran and unfurled her wings, the older boy lingered behind. Hunters. They were disgusting creatures and trained for two things; search and destroy. They were the only other experiments that past infancy. They looked like they had been burnt, 3rd degree, their skin was always red, their blood vessels could be seen clearly, one jab and blood could spurt all over. Their eyes were twice or maybe even three times the size of an average human eye, and were placed on the side of the head. They had no real noses, except for two holes, that could have been found in a small dent in the middle of the face. They had no lips, only teeth, sharpened teeth that could rip through the flesh easily. Just under the eyes were the ears, large circles with holes-if you could all that an ear. Hunters didn’t speak they grunted words instead of spoke them. When they stood up they looked like a big cat on it’s hind legs, and on all fours it was the same, like a big cat, a lion. But they had guns, and were much faster, as they were designed to be.

She reached the end of the line, or a ten foot fence. Her fingers entwined in the wire, she shook it violently trying to tare it apart, taking out all her frustrations. A lump formed in her throat, she choked it down. Matthew was trying to disembowel anyone who got close, until he got surrounded, she ran to him.

“No!” He shouted, she stopped, time slowed, “Fly, my angel, you can do it, I know you can, I believe in you. Spread your wings and fly!” Tears ran from his eyes, he gave a weak smile, and slowly turned away, his fist connecting with his foes face.

“I can’t, I don’t know how!” She cried, “Besides I‘m not going to leave you, I wont! I can’t!” He turned to her again for a split second. Time wasn’t one of those things they had, time had never really been on their side anyhow.

“Don’t worry about me, we’ll find each other, it’s our nature, it’s what a flock does, now fly!” And so she flew, driving her muscles to move steadily up and down, and she cleared the fencing, looking back at the scene below her, Matthew being beaten badly, until she couldn’t see him any longer. The buzz of a helicopter found it’s way to her ear. She looked at the roof building. So the case was on.

She surged on, her hair whipping across her face. Tears fell to the earth, as her pain, her loss rumbled inside her. Bullets zipped passed her. Some tearing at her flesh, the helicopter was quickly gaining in behind her. A bullet clipped her ear, she yelled as heat past through her body, she knew it would soon heal. The gun fire deafened her. Another bullet hit her, feathers loosely fluttered forward, blood stained. Panic hit her gut with incredible force. More bullets fired, and more tore at her flesh, up until the point were she could no longer take the pain. Her wings failed her, as she tumbled down to the earth. She tried to get hr wings to work, but they mad her summersault in the air, and mot the good controlled kind, but the ’spiralling out of control’ kind. The ‘copter was the last thing she remembered seeing before she hit the ground.



Her eyes instantly shot open, as she became be aware of some one shaking her, one word spilt from her lips, “Matthew!”

A voice sounded in return but it was not Matthews. “You okay there kid?” Her training kicked in. Without a second thought her fist flew out randomly from under the covers, hitting something hard, she knew she had hurt the intruder. Jumping out of bed, she lashed her foot out, catching the person squarely in the chest. Using her nails she once again moved, scratching her visitors face.

“Son of a…” Will heard a thud, telling her that her opponent had hit the wall, it was soon followed by another small thud, from which came as he fell to the floor. She flickered the switch to her bedside lamp, letting the light bounce off the walls, she still held her defensive pose. Her mouth opened as she saw her ‘attackers’ face.

Logan slowly got up and walked to wards her, the three nails marks on his skin healed themselves as she came to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. “Nightmares?” He asked. She shook her head, burring her face deeper into his chest. “I have ‘em too. Nasty fuckers!” He whispered, but not to quietly so she heard him speak.

“I know.” She said, her eyes became damp, as she sniffled back a moan.

“Can I ask one thing kid?” She nodded into him, “Who’s Matthew?” She cocked her head back and looked at him, Who was Matthew? NO! Who is Matthew? She looked at her feet, and then back up at Logan’s heavy yet caring gaze.

“He’s like an older brother.” She said, remembering him when she last saw him, and all the times before that. He promised.


Down the hall…

“Ah, Ororo there you are, I need to talk to you.” Ororo cringed when Hank’s voice rang out to her, it’s not that she didn’t like him, she did of course, but he was just on her heel nearly all the time lately, it was annoying. Turning on her heel she faced him, cracking open the best smile. One in which he returned politely.

“Yes Hank?” She asked, trying not to sound to irritated by his presence, or him and his ramblings, however that didn’t go according to her plan. He jumped slightly, and took a step back, stammering as he tried to get his words out. That didn’t work either. He closed his eyes taking a moment to gather his thoughts, she sighed.

“It’s about Willow,” He was probably the only one who used her full name the whole time, “I did a blood test, and stayed up all night long, making sure the result were correct, as they seemed to be a bit misleading…” He trailed off.

“And?” he took in a deep breath, looking at her calmly. He opened the medical file that was tucked neatly under his arm

“It appears that our little Will, was grafted to perfection, Her DNA shows, that she is only ninety-eight percent human,” He paused, “the remaining two percent of her is avian…bird. That is why her bone structure and muscle capacity is different from ours.” Ororo stared at him and blinked, “Her DNA has been combined. Think of it as the ovum of a human female being injected or combined with avian DNA. And due to the fact that she is part bird when she woke the other day, the first people she saw she would have chosen as her parents. Those two people being Logan and you.” To finish it all off he gave a light smile. “Just thought you’d like to know.”

“Yes thank you Hank.” She said breathlessly. She frowned slightly. She didn’t seem to witness Hank while he slipped away. She heard a door open, and spun back round, continuing her journey to wills bedroom, only to be greeted by Logan, she blushed. “Logan there is something I need to tel-hello Will.” She announced. Logan turned to her with Will comfortably placed on his hip. Will smiled at her.

“What’s this you wanna talk to me ‘bout darlin’?” Focus, Ororo, focus. But he’s so goddamn hot! Logan slowly made his way down the hall, Ororo who he had left there daydreaming, shook her head and caught up with the two, Will was laughing dramatically. Ororo poked her tongue out at her, but will s laughing didn’t stop.

“I’m sure it can wait.” She said, feeling slightly embarrassed on the subject at hand. It would be so much easier if we were a couple. She thought. They fell into a comfortable silence. It had only been yesterday that they had gone to the mall, clothes and accessorises shopping for Will, it had been the three of them, they had gone as a family would have. It had been yesterday that Ororo, for the first time ages felt that the void in her heart had been filled. The two people walking with her now were her true family, they just didn’t know it yet, and neither did she. But today anything could happen, right? They were going to the beach, again it was just the three of them.

“Morning Ororo.” Jean greeted as she came from her bedroom, looking refreshed, “Morning Logan,” She hesitated, “Will.” Willow smiled, ever since the girl pierced her the hospital needle, Jean had been cautious around her, not wanting it to happen again. The girl was strong and fast, she had to admit that. She scurried away, not much difference from other days, except she was less tense.


Hours later they were on the beach. They had brought Willow a two piece swim suit rather than a one piece, so that they wouldn’t have to ruin a perfectly good item of swim wear for her wings. And because she had wanted one like Ororo, the only problem was they didn’t have Ororo’s make of swim wear in child sizes.

Will ran up to Logan and held out a hand, passing him the wind up camera, “Could you take some pictures please?” She asked in the sweetest voice possible, it made Logan chuckle. He took the camera from her, and she smiled.

“Like what?” He asked, looking around, his eyes glued to the Nubian beauty coming up behind Will. Ororo’s arm snaked around Wills waist.

“Anything that catches your eye.” Ororo laughed as she lifted Will effortlessly, taking a few steps back for Logan. Ororo spun slowly around, Will was laughing hysterically, with no warning Ororo increased her speed, making Will s legs kick out. It was a beautiful sight. Logan wound up the camera, and took the shot, capturing the memory for years to come. He was about to take another one when the sound of their joyous laughter called to them. Firmly placing the camera in his shoe he stood and ran to the two ladies.

Ororo slowed down, one of her hands took hold on Wills legs, and placed her carefully on the ground, as if she were a china doll that was worth millions. To Logan it looked as if she had done it thousands of time before, the motion was fluent, and graceful.

The three made their way into the surf. Logan kicked the water spraying Will, causing her to splash him back. The weather witch looked on at the scene. Hank was definitely wrong, she didn’t think they were her parents, they were her parents. Or so an onlooker may have seen it. Her thought were interrupted, it had slipped her mind that Logan and will may team up and attack her with the sea water. She ran away from them, though they stayed hot on her tail. Logan could have sworn that he’d never seen Ororo laugh so much. It made him smile.

She turned around, only to have her wrists locked between Logan’s iron like grip. Her heart been violently against her chest. She had spent many times at her desk thinking about the phrase ‘a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle’ and believing it nearly word for word, until she started to wish for a man to sweep her off her feet. The words time spent wishing was time wasted flashed into her mind. It’s time to stop wishing. She thought as she brought her lips to his, drawing her body up closely with his. He went to part her lips with his tongue only to find that she was two steps ahead, and met him half way with her own. Their lips moved in unison. They didn’t part, didn’t dream of parting and Will didn’t stop them either. Instead she spread her wings and flew into the heavens, before racing to the camera to as to hold on to the memory. The sun set.

How was one supposed to let go of secret, and how was one supposed to let go of a family? Things had changed.





You must login () to review.