The days that followed Ororo's emotional breakdown and Logan's promise to her, to be ready to listen to her when she was ready to talk, were fairly uneventful, no missions, nothing. And while everyday that the two mutants' friendship grew stronger than ever, Logan still felt as though the amazing young woman that he had come to love was withdrawn, she seemed so distant, and even though he didn't pressure her to tell him what it was she so desperately needed to get off her mind, he was still extremely curious. What was it, what was bothering her so much? Why couldn't bring herself to tell him?? Whatever it was, he knew it couldn't be too bad, I mean, this was 'Ro, she wasn't a saint, but she wasn't a deamon, either. Logan was at a loss at what could be so hard for her to say, and for a split second, he hoped, he knew he shouldn't have hoped for anything, and he banished the thought as soon as it had entered his mind, there was no way'Ro felt the same way about him that he did her, no way.

Right at that moment, Logan's ears perked up as he heard someone walk into the kitchen, or two someones, he found out as he turned in the direction of which the noise was coming from, it was Rogue, or Marie, as she now preferred, with a younger mutant by the name of Juanita Salinas, a girl that Scott, Jean, and Ororo had picked up in Monterey, Mexico, around three years ago. "Hola, Señor Logan." The ten year old greeted him. "¿Cómo es usted? How are you?" Logan grinned at the use of her native language, he wasn't too good with little kids, but Juanita just had that personality, everyone liked her. "I'm doin' good, Juanita, how are you? And by the way, have you seen Ororo, either of you?" Marie and Juanita shook their heads, blinking, and Marie said, "No, I haven't seen her all today."
~**~
Ororo had been distracted all day, unable to focus on anything, it had been almost a week since Logan had returned, and she hadn't really been the same since. She spent time with him and everyone else, but she also distanced herself, she needed to keep to herself at least a bit, she had nearly told Logan how she felt about him that first night that he was back, and that scared her, what if she let it slip on accident? This was getting ridiculous, she couldn't concentrate and it was getting harder and harder to keep from breaking down and crying, she was unusually sad now, more than ever, why couldn't she just forget about Logan and move on with her life?? This was killing her inside, she needed either to tell him and try to endure the pain and humiliation, or she needed to get over it and go back to only thinking of Logan as just a friend, a part of the team, not someone she could fall in love with. She reminded herself that she had told Kitty later that night a week ago all that had happend, as Kitty had correctly guessed that Ororo had feelings for Logan, and her reaction.

"Jeez, Storm, you're an emotional train wreck!! What happened?" Kitty had asked, after taking one look at her older colleague and seeing the tears in her eyes and the pain on her face. Ororo had merely replied with, "It's nothing, I-I just....nearly embarassed myself to the edge of reason. It's a good thing I didn't fully do so, or I'd be worse off, most likely." At those last words, Ororo's emotional control failed her, and she buried her face in her hands and let the tears in her eyes fall like the rain that had just started pouring down outside in response to the weather princess' obviously low mood. Kitty immediately ran over to her and tried to comfort her friend and mentor, saying in a soothing voice, "It's okay, Storm, it's gonna be alright. What happened?? It's probably not as bad as it seems, nothing ever really is, you'll probably think about tonight a year from now and you'll most likely laugh your head off. Now, tell me what happened, and maybe we can figure this out." Ororo remembered later looking up at the surprisingly gentle young woman by her side, and hearing herself tell Kitty the whole story, every last word that had passed between her and Logan, her boneheaded mistake, his unusually gentle words, and Bobby's much welcomed interruption that ended the whole thing. Kitty listened intently and didn't stop her once to comment on anything, in fact, when Ororo was finished, all she could say was, "Oh my God, are you okay?". And for about a half-hour, they had just sat there, Kitty comforting her, and Ororo letting tears fall freely down her face.

Ororo hadn't noticed that she had spent so many hours in her room, she had been sitting there thinking and remembering every instant where she had slowly realized over and over again that she was falling dangerously in love with a man who couldn't let go of an enchanting redhead, even though she had become a huge threat to them all. That was it, that last thought was Ororo Munroe's undoing, she couldn't take it anymore, she just let go, sobbing uncontrollably into the night.
~**~
Logan couldn't stop looking at his watch, it was currently 1:00 AM, and he couldn't put his finger on it, but he knew something was amiss. He closed his eyes and tried to focus on listening to the sounds in the rooms: Juanita had fallen asleep listening to a broadcast in Spanish about the latest soccer game, or, as she called it, fútbol, Kitty and Marie were sleeping without problem, Bobby and Jubilee were battling it out in a graphic videogame that included dragons and private jets. Then Logan frowned as he heard the sound of sobbing, coming from Ororo's room, she sounded like she was in a lot of pain, Logan was really worried now. 'Ro wasn't the type of woman who'd go around crying for no reason, so something had to be really wrong. He hopped off of his bed, making the decision to go check on 'Ro, he had to make sure that she was alright, that she wasn't hurt or sick, and as he took the long steps to her room, his heart was pounding, and when he was almost there, one last thought ran through his mind before he knocked on her door, This is your last chance to turn back, buddy, he thought, Whatever happens after this is your fault and no one else's... Nevertheless, he knocked on the door, then opened it, what he saw next was something he wasn't prepared for at all.

"'Ro? Are you alright?" Logan asked her, although judging by the surprised look on her face and the tears pouring out of her eyes, she wasn't. "I heard you crying." he continued. "And I wanted to see if you were okay." Ororo looked up at him, her eyes pleading, she needed something, but what? She finally stood up and came closer to him, trying to say something, trying to get a point across, but when all she good manage to say was, "Lo-Logan." between her tears, he hushed her and cradled her face in his hands while wiping away her tears, he simply replied by saying, "Shh...don't worry, babe, it's all gonna be okay." What happened next was unintentional, but undeniably cliche`, as Logan stood there comforting the beautiful Ororo Munroe, he pulled her closer to him and kissed her.

It was probably the most amazing kiss either of them had ever experienced, Ororo wasn't expecting this to happen, but as her head tilted back, she was finding this more and more appealing, she was clinging to the light cotton of his shirt and kissing him right back, and as his tongue stroked hers lightly, she couldn't stop herself, she couldn't contain her desires anymore, she was kissing him full-out, her tongue in his mouth now, she was nearly passed out from the overwhelming love she was feeling. But then, she remembered who she was, who exactly she was kissing, and why she needed to stop this before it went any further, "Logan, stop." she said as she broke away, "We can't do this, not now. We've got to stop this, I don't want any regrets, and I know you don't want any regrets, either, we should just stop." Logan blinked, and realizing that she was absoloutly right, nodded, "You're right, this shouldn't have happened, and I don't want to hurt anyone." And with that, he turned around, bidding her a final goodbye and closed the door behind him.

And for the rest of the night, neither of them could sleep, after what happened, they both knew that they had to make things right.





You must login () to review.