I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own
If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me
And just forget the world?-Snow Patrol





Kid,


I rang home only a few hours ago from now, I wanted to talk to yer mommy, to tell her how everythin’ was gunna be alright and how much I loved her, course I didn’t get the nice welcomin’ voice that I usually get, or who any caller might get, just an impatient hello from yer auntie Jean. What she said to me is still clear in my mind…


“Logan I can’t talk right now I’m sorry!” Jean said down the phone’s receiver.

“JEAN!” Ororo cried to her best friend, tears were streaming down her cheeks like water falls, “Who’s on the phone Jean?” She asked with false hopes in her eyes. *It’s him, isn’t it?*

“Logan I have to go-” Jean said impatiently.

“No, Wait lemme talk to her, lemme talk to ‘Ro.” Logan could her screaming in the background, it scared him. “What’s going on Jean?” he asked.

With a deep breath Jean replied, “Ororo’s in labor.”

Without any other word Jean hung up on her end leaving Logan speechless, “No, oh no…no…‘RO!” he shouted slamming the phone down.

With in seconds he was gone.



…I’m here now in the hospital listening to yer mothers cries just like everybody else. I haven’t seen her yet, I haven’t even had the guts to go there yet and say hi, I’m terrified. Do ya know what the worst part of sittin’ out here is? I have everyone lookin’ over at me wondering what in shittin’ hell I’m doin’, and what I’m writin’. They’re a load of nosy lil’ fuckers I can tell ya.

Damn…there’s another contraction. God I swear my ear drums will start to burst soon. I wish I was in there in stead of Jean, I should be in there but I’m not, I’d be sick or somethin’ I mean how can a whole little person come of out-well-ya-know…there.

I wonder how big she is, or she was or whatever. Aw shit now I’m cryin’, I wasn’t there for any of it, I’m already a bad parent, I shouldn’t even be here…

…but I am…

…I wanted to be here…

…for yer mother…

…and to finally meet you…

…and to come home...

Logan…



Standing up, Logan scrunched the letter up into his front jean pocket. He took one last look at the room Ororo was in and started to make his way out.

“Logan, wait,” Jean said taking a hold of his wrist, “She’s asking for you.”

“So…” He said trying to act nonchalant, but failing terribly as his emotions took hold of his face. He looked so young and so afraid in that single moment, and that’s how Jean knew, he truly did love her.

“So go in there Logan, tell her that you wanna be with her, that you love her more than anything else, tell her that nothing means more to you than her and that baby.”

“How,” he said, as tears burnt through his vision.

“I don’t know, just try.” Jean replied as she wrapped him in an embracing hug, he hugged her back and gave a light chuckle. “What?” she asked pulling back.

“A few years ago that would have done a serious load of damage…for you o’ course.”

“I know.” She said enveloping him into another hug. Pulling away Logan made his way back to Ororo room. Jean smiled at him warmly as he opened the door and walked though it.

“Hey…”




Ororo lay on the bed with the eyes closed as she rested for the only free moment she had, her fingers entwined with Logan’s. Her eyes automatically opened as she heard foot steps come up towards the bed. She smiled at the nurse and the small bundle in her arms.

“Your daughter, Miss Munroe,” the nurse said handing over the sleeping baby girl. Ororo smiled as her daughter was placed gently into her arms.

“She’s perfect.” Ororo said leaning into Logan’s embrace as he sat on the bed next to her. Ororo smiled finding it hard to look away from the sleeping form

“I know this is a bit sudden, but have you both chosen a name yet?” The nurse said, Ororo looked up at Logan and smiled.

“There is one I like.” Ororo said looking at her baby again.

“And what would that be?”

“Kendal,” Logan said kissing a bewildered Ororo on the forehead, “her names Kendal-Logan.”

“How did you…?” Ororo said looking at Logan, searching for some indication of how he knew Ororo’s desired name.

“I read your letters, or some of them, the ones that were there anyway.” He paused as he watched Ororo’s face change, “I wrote some too.” Ororo looked at him confused. Her mouth opened but no words came out. Logan dug into his jean pocket and pulled out a piece of wrinkled paper, and handed it too her, “I wrote this one when I got here.” Her slender hand took it from him, but she didn’t dare read it, she tucked it under the hospital pillow and kissed him gently.

“I love you Logan,” She said, “so I want you to promise me that you’ll never to go through such personal things again.”

“I promise ‘Ro, an’ if it means anything, I love you too.”


Jean watched through the open door onto the new family. Ororo and Logan had fallen asleep only moments ago, with Kendal sleeping in between. She smiled with only one remaining thought on her mind…

…it was still unfinished…






End.





You must login () to review.