She was suffocating.

They had caught her!

She thrashed against the darkness smothering her.

Her arms flailed.

Her feet kicked.

And her ass hit the floor.

“Oomph.”

“’Ro?” Logan called to her. “You okay?”

With a muted grumble she tossed the wool blanket from her head, resting her elbow on the couch. Her hair clung to her face in a static-laced web. “I’m fine.” Just being attacked by your blanket, she finished internally.

Logan came down the hall, buttoning a red and black flannel shirt and obviously fresh from a shower. He gave her a curious look. “What the hell ya doin’ on the floor?”

She didn’t answer but instead stood up to stretch, hoping he wouldn‘t see the lingering fear in her eyes. Before she was fully upright Logan was beside her, helping her stand. So close she could feel his damp body heat. Too close.

“You’re safe,” he told her. She should have known he’d see--or smell-- through her. Logan’s hand came up, his fingers curling around her nape, massaging.

She stared up at him, looking far more young and vulnerable than he cared for. Following his instincts he wrapped his arms around her, holding her, offering what little comfort he knew how. He wasn’t a man of many words, never had been, but when he spoke, it was with conviction. “They won’t take our baby from us, ‘Ro. I take care of my own.”

She leaned into his touch, her forehead dropping to his chest. “I was afraid,” she said. “I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared before.”

“Of telling me? Or of Weapon X?”

“I don’t know,” she said honestly.

His fingers trailed through her hair. Feathering the strands released her scent, a mixture of flowers and rain that reminded him of the wilderness. Perhaps he hadn’t come to his cabin to escape the memory of their one night together, but to bury himself in it.

Her voice was whisper soft when she spoke. “I know what happened between us was no more than a good bye, but I won’t apologize for the consequences. As our baby gets bigger it’ll be harder for me to defend myself, but I’ll do whatever I have to. If you don’t want us here, if we’re too big of a liability--”

“’Ro, shut up.”

She closed her mouth.

“You’re here. We’ll work it out.”

Ororo backed away a step. “You made it very clear to me that your life did not include room for me. I don’t want some forced obligation because of a baby. Teach me to defend myself, how to survive against these assholes and that’s all I’m asking of you.”

Logan watched her try and distance herself, his eyes veiled. “Is that all?” There was a definite edge to his voice. “Well, that’s too bad, because that’s my kid and no way in hell am I just stepping aside.”

“What if I shove you out of the way?” she answered back with a huff.

For one brief moment amusement flashed in his silver gaze. “I’m pretty hard to budge.”

She rolled her eyes. “We’ll see.” She decided to move on to a different topic. “I’m going to need some clothes.”

He nodded. “I’ll head to town in a bit. Make me a list of what you need.”

“Wouldn’t it be easier if I just went with you?” She shook out the blanket and folded it neatly onto the back of the couch.

“I don’t want you seen in town. At least not until I’ve scoped it out.” There was finality in his voice, which was fine, she had no intention of arguing. Seeing as such, Logan continued, “Why don’t you take a shower, think about what you need and I’ll fix you something to eat. You can wear some of my sweats until I get back.”

Ororo nodded, ignoring the flare of heat she felt. Just the idea of wearing his clothes sent a shiver of desire through her. Stop it, she chided herself. He must have felt it too because the next moment she was pressed up against his chest. He was rock hard, his body unyielding, his thick erection making itself known against her stomach.

Her own body ached with wanting. Her breasts felt full and tight, her womb clenching in anticipation. She tried to insert a verbal wall between them. “This can’t happen. You and I…it was a mistake.”

“The hell it was. It was the only right thing I’ve ever done.” He pressed himself even closer. “I can still taste you in my mouth, every breath I take, every inhale of your scent makes me want to pick you up, wrap your legs around me and bury myself so deep I can’t even think.”

There was no denying the firestorm of passion that flared between them. It was all consuming, crackling in the air around them. His mouth came down hard on hers, his tongue sweeping past her lips. There was nothing subtle about the kiss, it was purely dominant, demanding her submission. Ororo was swept up in the sensuality of it all, moaning as his hands roamed her body, slipping beneath her shirt to touch soft, bare skin. She shuddered, she wanted him so bad, but did he want her for her? Or because she was carrying his child? It had been so easy for him to walk away once--would he do it again? Tears pricked her eyes. She felt sexually and emotionally frustrated.

Logan abruptly lifted his head. Large hands framed her face. “Are you crying?”

She tried to deny it but a single tear slipped past her lashes.

Logan bent his head, kissing the drop from its resting place at the corner of her mouth.

That gesture, so simple, and impossibly intimate made her eyes well over. She shook her head, disgusted with herself for being such a crybaby. She wiped her cheeks, muttering, “Stupid hormones.”

Logan sighed, pulling her head to his chest. He brushed a kiss over her snowy tresses.

Ororo shook, the dam around her emotions crumbling. “I don’t know what to think. I’m too tired. Too wired. Both. All I know for certain is that I can’t let them have our baby. I can’t let them do what they do…” she closed her eyes. “I can’t.”

Her tear filled voice tore at his heart. “Shh. It’s okay.” He pressed his mouth to her ear. “They won’t ever get our baby and experiment on it. I swear to you. Not ever, you hear me?”

She nodded, sniffling. “I hear you.”

Thick fingers tangled in her hair. For years he had thought all the good and gentleness in him had been driven out, but it was there, rising to the surface. He knew he was protective of his child, but it was more than that. Somehow, someway, she had slipped past his defenses and touched his humanity. She had done it long before now, perhaps on that snow covered road those many months ago where she had defended him against Deathstrike when she could have left him. Or in her room, after their return from Canada, when she told him his past was gone, and his future was what he wanted it to be. Or perhaps, even before that, when her lips met his on a dirty rooftop overlooking the city and all he could think of was how hard it was to think with her so close. Whatever the case, Ororo Munroe had reached in and grabbed hold.

She was as much his family as the child was.

“We’ll make it work, ‘Ro.”

Ororo wasn’t sure what he meant by that.

Logan released her slowly, his hand lingering on her wounded cheek. “After I leave I’ll be gone for most of the day. It’s three hours to town.”

“I’ll manage,” she said. “After all, I expected to be here by myself.”

“Well, ya aren’t,” his voice was gruff.

“I know that, Logan.”

“Good.” One more quick kiss on the mouth and he was headed for the kitchen. “Go shower, I’ll start breakfast.”

Ororo watched him for a moment and the easy way he moved around the kitchen. She had never had anyone offer to take care of her before, and for it to be Wolverine, well, it was surreal to say the least.

Logan watched her walk down the hall from the corner of his eye. He stood at the counter whisking eggs, but his entire attention was on her. He inhaled a deep breath, noting the way her scent was already mingling with his in the cabin. He had been the only occupant of this place since he’d built it, and it wouldn’t be long before he could smell her everywhere. He was a bit surprised to find that he didn’t mind, in fact, he found himself content with the idea of their blending scents.

He knew she was scared and uncertain right now, and trying to erect a wall around herself for protection, but he couldn’t let her barricade herself away from him. Ororo was just going to have to learn to live with him and trust what was between them. It didn’t occur to him to question why he was so willing to accept the situation and her into his home, for Logan, it simply was.

Ororo tousled her hair with a towel with one hand, the other wiping the steam from the medicine cabinet mirror. The hot shower had taken some of the aches from her body, but she still felt tense. Dread seemed to grow from her stomach, and was now climbing her throat, choking her. She couldn’t get away from it.

Logan was a help. She felt safer just being around him. He was the kind of man, that in spite of his roughness, treated women with gentleness. She had seen it in him when he was with Jean. Subtle things he did for the red-head like get her favorite ice cream or watch a Hugh Grant movie that spoke of a tender heart beneath the hard exterior.

He had been beaten, tortured, stripped of all he was and yet he was still more than any other man--any other person--she had ever known.

“Everything okay in there?”

Ororo turned at the knock on the door. “Yeah, fine, just taking my time. I left my list on the bed. ”

“Food’s on the table.”

“Okay.”

“I’ll be back in awhile.”

“All right.” She opened the door a crack, hoisting the terry cloth around her body a bit higher.

Logan stood just outside the door. “If you go outside stay near the cabin.”

“Why, do you have the place booby-trapped.”

He raised one eyebrow at her.

“Paranoid much?”

It quirked higher.

She realized that given his past and who he was, he had every reason to be.

“Drive carefully,” she said for lack of anything else.

He nodded, touching her face. “Don’t you worry about me, darlin’.”

His touch caused her to close her eyes reflexively, savoring it.

“Aw, hell.” Logan cupped her cheek, leaning forward to press his mouth to hers. He lingered over her bottom lip before pulling back. “Stop looking so fuckin’ sexy,” he ordered her before turning on his heel and stomping away.

Ororo closed the door, bemused by his ridiculous command.



Several Hours Later

Having explored the cabin thoroughly Ororo was more than impressed with Logan’s skills. The place was beautifully built and everything was obviously crafted with care and attention. She especially loved the wrap around deck. Which was where she was seated when she spotted a solitary headlight coming up the path.

She stood, hands on the rail, feeling a kick of relief and expectation at his return. He pulled up next to the porch, looking windblown and delicious. He dismounted, unstrapping his carry-on pack from the back of the bike.

“You’re back sooner than I expected,” she commented, wrapping her arms around a porch pole.

“Had incentive to come home,” he said easily.

Ororo felt her heart flutter at that. She pushed aside the bubbling feeling, leaping over the rail onto the ground. “What’d you get?”

Logan grabbed her by the arm. “Jesus, ‘Ro. Be careful. What if you’d fallen and hurt the baby.”

“Are you mental? I can fly, Logan. Remember?”

“You can still fall,” he sounded gruff. “You ain’t immune to clumsiness.”

“Oh, for the love of… Just shut up and show me what’s in the bag.”

Logan’s lip quirked. She never did take his overbearing seriously. “Come on inside, it’s getting’ chilly.”

“I don’t get cold.”

“Yeah, yeah, but does the baby? Or too hot? If you heat up…” he let it trail off.

Ororo felt suddenly stupid for not thinking of that.

Seeing her stricken expression Logan stroked his thumb over her wrist. “You can’t be expected to have all the answers.”

Some would be nice,” she said, angry at herself.

Logan tugged her hand, bringing her back up the stairs and onto the porch. He settled onto the porch swing, pulling her down onto his lap. “You need to relax,” he stated. Tension was literally seeping from her every pore. “You’ll make yourself sick.”

“You must think I am a completely lame mother.”

He tilted her chin so that she could see his eyes when he spoke. “There ain’t no other woman on the planet I’d want having my kid.”

She blinked unexpected tears away. “How can you say that? It’s not like we planned on having a family. You didn’t ever want to see me again.”

“You’re wrong.” His fingertips traced small circles on her skin. “Walking away from you that night was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.”

“But you said…”

“I know what I said, ‘Ro.” He swallowed, shifting her more comfortably against his chest. “I’m sorry if the things I said hurt you.”

“They did,” she admitted. “I don’t want me or the baby to be a liability for you--”

“Stop.” He dropped his head over hers. “I want you here with me. I want us to raise our baby together.”

“You do?”

“Hell yes.” He paused, seemingly contemplating. “Just so long as it’s a boy.”

She tried to pull away from him with an indignant snort. He held fast. “Why not a girl?” she demanded.

“Because my heart couldn’t take a girl. Can you imagine some poor kid trying to date my daughter. I’d be forever sharpening my claws. It’s better for my sanity if we have a boy.”

She smiled. Logan could feel it against his chest. “Boy or girl, I can’t believe we’re going to be parents.” Ororo’s voice held more than a hint of wary awe.

Hearing it, and the joy beneath it Logan’s gut tightened. His hand traveled over her abdomen, settling on the swell of her stomach. “Thank you,” he said, voice tight.

She seemed to understand. Nestling closer to listen to his heart and the sounds of the woods all around them she said gently, “You’re welcome.”

“Tired?” he asked after awhile.

“Yeah.”

“Come on.” He stood with her still cradled in his arms.

It took her a minute to realize he was bypassing the couch and heading for his bedroom. She swallowed nervously. It would be the first time they’d shared a bed since that night.

Logan watched her throat work and even that was sexy to him. He set her gently on her feet just inside his bedroom threshold. “I want you,” he told her point blank. “Is it safe for the baby?”

Ororo regarded his face, his tight expression and knew without a doubt that she wanted him too. She smiled. “According to my baby book, sex is okay, even vigorous sex.”

Logan let out his breath. “Good.” He grasped the hem of his sweatshirt, pulling it up, slowly, inch by inch. Ororo moaned as the material caressed her ultra sensitive nipples. The sound made Logan’s already hard body tighten even more. He tossed the shirt aside, staring at her revealed, beautiful flesh. Her nipples were darker, larger than he remembered, crowning full round breasts.

His hands gripped the sweat pant, sliding them down over the swell of her belly and the curve of her hips. She took a dainty step out of the garment, watching him as he watched her. He could read the uncertainty in her eyes. She hadn’t put on a lot of weight, but there was a definite roundness to her stomach. Nothing had ever looked so beautiful to him. “God, ‘Ro.” He pouched her stomach. “ You’re so beautiful…”

She stepped to him. “Your turn.”

Moments later his clothing joined hers on the floor, her hands exploring his hard muscles and contours. She lifted her face for his kiss, opening for him the moment she felt his tongue caress the seam of her lips.

Logan groaned as he sank into the damp heat of her mouth. She tasted so good and sweet. Teeth nipped along her mouth, neck and down to her shoulder. He flicked his tongue over her nipple and she shivered, arching her back to offer him more. Logan growled, pressing his leg between her thighs, backing her towards the bed.

Ororo cried out when his fingers touched her, stroking her into readiness. Her head fell back as she rode out his ministrations. “Logan, please.” She stroked his neck, her palms running flat over his chest, thumbs teasing pert nipples.

A low growl tore from his throat, his hunger for her rising. He dropped to his knees, dragging her thighs farther apart. Her scent was intoxicating, making him swear aloud, placing his mouth over her center.

“Logan.” His name came out broken, caught up in a cry of pleasure. He growled again, the vibration sending heat spiraling through her and causing liquid to pool against his lapping tongue. He licked her hungrily, not content with her simply writhing against him. He wanted to hear her screaming his name, feel her shuddering in ecstasy.

Ororo caught his tufts of hair in her fists. She was losing her mind, she thought as her legs wobbled, turning into jelly. She wasn’t sure how much she could take, her muscles tightening to the point of pain. “L-Logaaaaan…” He added his fingers, thrusting two deep as his teeth found and teased her most sensitive nub. Ororo let go, losing herself in the pleasure. She was mindless, thrusting herself against his mouth, riding his fingers until she felt like she was going to implode. Except she didn’t. She exploded. Her scream was lustful and loud, shocking herself, even as she continued to thrust helplessly against his face.

Logan felt a surge of primitive satisfaction. He lowered her to the bed, keeping her legs spread wide. “So fuckin’ beautiful,” he rasped. He rubbed the broad head of his erection against her saturated skin, earning yet another fractured cry of want from her. He pressed forward, a strangled sound escaping. She was tighter than before. Swollen. “Oh, God.”

Ororo clawed his back, her hips driving upwards, seeking. “I can’t…I need…”

Logan gripped her hips, holding her to him. “I know, baby. I know what you need.”

“Please.” She was sobbing.

He withdrew slightly, then with one savage grunt and hard surge he filled her.

Ororo’s nails drew blood. “Logan!”

He was hard, demanding, spreading her legs wide so he could see himself thrusting in and out of her tightness. He pressed her hard, stimulating her clit with his thumb as he pounded over and over.

Ororo’s eyes flashed white and a boom of thunder shook the cabin. “Harder!”

“Can you take it?” he asked, voice hoarse.

“Harder!” Her hips lifted, pleaded. “Give it to me.”

“Fuck, yes!” Logan’s teeth gnashed his own lower lip as he slammed into Ororo. “Fuck, baby, so goddamn tight! So wet…”

“For you,” she panted. “Only for you…”

Logan’s muscles knotted and tensed, at the brink of orgasm.

“Take me with you,” she moaned.

“Let go, baby.” Logan’s thumb circled faster and faster, hips pumping furiously. “I’ll catch you.”

Her body reacted instantly, her inner muscles contracting hard and squeezing him. The thrashed together, hoarse shouts and keening wails over powering the slap of skin on skin. Logan shouted her name as he lost himself in hot, jetting spurts. It took him a full minute to catch his breath. “Jesus fuckin’ Christ,” he rasped.

“Yeah. Me too.”

Logan rolled to the side, pulling her with him to rest against his chest. “You okay?”

“If by okay you mean shaking like a leaf after mind-blowing sex, then yeah. I’m okay.”

He chuckled. “Mind blowin’, eh?”

“Don’t get cocky.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it.” He gave her a soft, gentle kiss. He rolled onto his side so that they faced one another, his palm cupping her breast.

She sighed, still throbbing from release. “Logan?”

“We’re just gettin’ warmed up, darlin’.”

“Oh, God.”

His grin was wicked. “You’ll be sayin’ that a lot.”

“There’s that cocky attitude again.”

“I guess I’ll just have to prove it.”

And he did. Over and over again.





You must login () to review.