The Goddess and the Animal

Chapter 10

When Remy sauntered downstairs twenty minutes after Logan left his door, he’d expected to hear Logan’s guff shout yelling for him to get a move on. Instead, he made it all the way down the stairs only hearing the chatter from the pub patrons. A few minutes later, he spotted Logan over the crowd, sitting at a table by himself. Remy managed to slip through the crowds “ snatching a coin purse or two on the way “ and reached Logan, who didn’t even seem to notice him approach. With an ungraceful plop, he settled in the chair to Logan’s left.

When the older man didn’t show any signs that he was aware that Remy had sat down, Remy reached forward to wave a hand in front of Logan’s face. He felt the tight grip around his wrist before his crimson eyes even registered that Logan had moved.

“Remy t’inks dat you’d make a pretty good t’ief wit reflexes like dat, mon ami.” Logan only grunted in response, dropping Remy’s arm. “We still in a mood den? Come on mon ami, cheer up.”

Logan glanced over at his chatty companion, almost wishing he’d go back to moping about the girl he saw in the village. Remy didn’t talk much then, well until he started trying to dig into Logan’s love life. He tuned out Remy’s voice and the voices of the other patrons, focusing on one voice in particular. She had gone back to sitting with the miner he saw her with before.

Ororo. Logan grinned to himself a little remembering their brief conversation.

He wondered what she was doing here and how she had made it here before them. Logan didn’t think she had anything to do with the royalty they both had been spying on. His eyes watched as her hand brushed her long white hair behind her ear, nodding at something the miner whispered to her.

Remy looked back and forth between Logan and the crowd, trying to figure out who had caught the older man’s attention. Finally, he spotted a young woman sitting across the room. Her chin was resting on her hand, while her long brown fingers tangled themselves in her snowy hair. She was sitting with a young miner who was sitting close to her. From Remy’s position, all he could see of him was the side of his face and his black hair. As the two continued to talk, Remy felt slight waves of jealousy coming from Logan as well as some of the other men in the close to them.

“Why not go say somet’in’ to ‘er, mon ami?”

“Already did, kid.”

“De fille turn you down?”

“She didn’t have a reason ta turn me down.”

“So we stayin’ ‘ere another day?”

“No, we’re leaving in a few.”

“But, Remy thought…”

“Ya thought wrong, kid,” Logan stood from his chair, grabbing the travel bag from the floor, forcing himself not to take another glance over at the white haired beauty. He didn’t have the time to waste over a girl he’d never see again. “Let’s go.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


“Piotr, I really should be leaving,” Ororo said rising from her wooden chair. “I have such a long journey ahead of me.” They had been talking since Piotr returned from the mines with the other miners a little while before sunset. Ororo was already seated in the small restaurant since Piotr mentioned when he left her at the inn that he would be in with the other miners and suggested that they meet for supper.

While she waited, she took in the feel of being in a new place and was surprised that she felt good being on her own. She had never gone further than the woods before, but luckily her father and Henry had taught her the geography of the kingdom. She was confident that she would not get lost getting to the castle. Getting lost within the towns was a different story. She would have to remember to aerially scope out the town before landing the next time.

Da, ” Piotr replied, gently grasping Ororo’s wrist, “but you shouldn’t be traveling alone, Ororo, especially at night.”

Ororo looked down at Piotr’s concerned face, “Are you this protective with all lost people you come across?”

“Perhaps,” He smiled shyly at her as she returned to her seat. “Or maybe I would like to spend a little more time with you.”

“Are you flirting with me?” Ororo asked, raising an eyebrow, grinning slightly.

It was Piotr’s turn to stand from his seat/ “We should both should be getting some rest,” He said clearing his throat.

Ororo chuckled, also standing. “Alright, you talked me into staying one more night, but I must leave tomorrow morning.” Piotr nodded and walked around to her side of the table. They walked together through the now thinning crowd. Ororo looked back at the young man, she now considered a friend, even with their short time together. “You did not have to walk me to the stairs, Piotr.”

Da, I know,” He smiled down at her, “but I could not be rude to my new friend.”

Ororo returned the smile. “Goodnight Piotr.”

“Goodnight, Ororo. I will see you tomorrow morning.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


“Remy t’inks it be time for a break.”

“We’ve only been walkin’ a couple o’ hours.”

Exactement, perfect time for a break, no?”

Logan grunted and kept walking through the trees. He wanted to reach the next town by morning and they wouldn’t if they took breaks every couple hours as Remy suggested. Logan heard the younger man sigh behind him and rolled his eyes. They’d stop in another hour or so.

They had made it through the hilly mining country and had returned to flat land. The tree cover was gradually changing to include oak and maple within the patches of pine which dominated the hills. Logan’s sensitive ears and nose easily picked up the signs of the nocturnal critters, even before Remy’s loud complaining spooked them.

A few paces ahead a few field mice tore through a dense bush and Logan glanced up into the trees. Perched on a nearby branch an owl stared back, clicking its sharp beak, obviously annoyed that its dinner had run off. With a finally puff of its feathers it flew off to find quieter hunting grounds.

Once the owl flew off, Logan took a quick glance around their surroundings. He took a quick sniff, feeling as if something were out of place in the forest. Frowning, he stopped “ moving to the side so Remy wouldn’t plow into him again “ and peered between the trees, catching the movement of something a few yards off.

“What is it, mon ami?” When Logan didn’t answer, Remy stood still, staring off into the same general direction. Logan sniffed again. This time he caught something familiar. He recognized the scent just as an arrow lodged itself into the tree trunk inches away from his head.

“Funny,” Logan called, yanking the arrow out of the tree. “You won’t be needin’ ta blow anythin’ up, kid.” He said hearing the annoying buzzing he now recognized as Remy’s power.

“You comin’ out here or do I have ta come in there after you?”

Loud laughter came from within the trees, “Like you could find me, runt.”

“Could if I wanted ta, Creed,” Logan called back, crossing his arms over his chest, “but I’m havin’ trouble figurin’ out why anybody would want ta find yer sorry ass.”

“Maybe ‘cause I might be willin’ to be nice,” Creed replied appearing by the tree his arrow had struck. He was dressed in animal skins, mostly deer, with a few well placed leaves and twigs scattered along his cloak. A longbow was draped over his shoulder and the tan strap of quiver was visible over top of his darker toned clothing.

“Ya call shootin’ an arrow at us bein’ nice?”

Creed grinned, baring sharp canines, and leaning against the tree, shrugging. “Got your attention, didn’t it?” He crossed his arms over his chest and nodded in Remy’s direction, “Who’s this? An’ when’d you get out of prison anyway?”

“Couple o’ days ago, not that ya care.”

“Aw, is Logan pouting? I always said you were a sissy.”

“Kid, this is no good excuse for a huntsman is Victor Creed. Creed this is Remy.” Logan said, making the introductions. “An’ who you callin’ a sissy? You look like ya finally stopped runnin’ wild.”

“Marriage’ll do that.”

Logan laughed, “Yer jokin’. Who’d be crazy enough ta marry you?”

“I ain’t that crazy.”

“Well do we have ta stick around here talkin’ ta you all night or are ya goin’ take us ta meet this wife o’ yers?”

With a roll of his eyes, Victor led them through the trees to an average sized cottage only a couple miles from where they had been talking. It was a modest home that blended it well with the surrounding woods. As they approached, they saw that there was a glow from a candle coming from one of the front windows as if someone was waiting up. Once the small group broke the tree line, the glow moved from the window to other parts of the house. Soon brighter light was spilling out onto the ground.

Before they could reach the front door, it opened wide revealing a very pregnant young woman.

“Vic?” She asked one hand holding the candle up in an attempt to see further than the half circle of light spreading out from the doorway, her other hand resting on top of her large stomach. When the man in question raised his hand in a greeting a smile spread across her face and she started towards them.

“Hey, where do you think you’re goin’?” Victor replied, leaving the other two and rushing over to her.

“To meet your friends,” She replied, swatting his hands away when he attempted to steer her back to the house.

He ignored her swatting hands and grabbed her shoulders, turning her back to the house. “Like these pansies are my friends,” Victor replied with a slight laugh.

“See talk like that is why my mother didn’t believe me when I told her you’re really a nice guy.”

Victor rolled his eyes as Logan hid a laugh behind his hand as he and Remy followed the couple back to the house.

“Did you just roll your eyes at me?”

“Yup,” Victor replied, leading her into the house. He took the candle from her and pointed over to a nearby chair. Instead of sitting like he wanted her to, she rolled her eyes at him and turned to the other two, smiling brightly, ignoring the growl that earned her. Victor pointed over her shoulder at Logan, “That’s the runt,” He paused and pointed at Remy, “and the runt’s sidekick.”

She shook her head, barely resisting the urge to roll her eyes again, still smiling. “Hi, I’m Stephanie “ or Steph if you prefer.” Logan and Remy introduced themselves “ Remy daring to kiss her hand getting a blush from Stephanie and a snarl from Victor.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Scott was pacing within his office.

He couldn’t believe what was waiting for him when he returned to the prison after… well he couldn’t really remember anything between leaving mid afternoon and waking up in his bed with no recollection of how he got there. During that time two of his prisoners had escaped. From maximum security no less. The cell door looked like it had been blown up, but Scott had people working to repair the door.

Scott continued to pace. He knew he had to send his top guards after the two inmates. He was sure they would be able to at least recapture Mr. LeBeau and possibly Logan, if they were separate. But what if they decided to travel together? And Scott had no idea where they could be headed, but he had a stack of notices ready to be delivered to every town and village within a thirty mile radius of the prison.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Scott paused, glancing over at the door wondering who it was. Before he could ask or shout for the person to enter, a young man opened the door, scroll in hand. Ignoring the surprised and slightly offended look on Scott’s face, the young man walked in, closing the door behind him before heading over to Scott’s desk, not bothering to salute.

“Can I help you with something?” Scott asked, raising his eyebrow and crossing his arms as the young man unrolled the scroll and spread it out over Scott’s desk.

The young man looked up from the scroll at Scott and shrugged. “I doubt it, but I’m sure I can help you.”

Scott frowned, “And what do you think you can help me with? Who are you anyway?”

“I believe I have figured out a way to catch those inmates that escaped a couple days ago.”

“Sure you have,” Scott replied, rolling his eyes behind his glasses and walking over to the young man who had invaded his office. “And who are you?”

“Lance,” He replied. “Or Prince Laurence if you prefer,” he added running a hand through his already messy blonde hair, shrugging again. “But honestly, the prince thing is a bit overrated. It got dull after a few years.” Lance returned his attention back to the map he had unrolled and ignoring the surprised expression on Scott’s face, “So I came here, not that much better really, but it’s something I guess. Anyway, here’s what you need to do..”

~A/N: Continue? And yes I did write Steph and my bf into the story in the same chapter lol





You must login () to review.