The Goddess and the Animal


Chapter 11

“It can’t be that simple,” Scott said, starring down at the map with a frown. The plans that had been laid out with a series of pins and notes scribbled across the map didn’t seem to be enough to capture two convicts.



“Oh, but it is,” Lance replied, leaning back in Scott’s chair and lifting his feet to rest on Scott’s desk, a lazy grin forming on his lips.



“And if they’re traveling separately?” Scott questioned, eyes darting to the young man’s feet, frown deepening.



“They wouldn’t take that chance.”



“How do I know you are who you say you are?”



“Do I have a reason to lie?” Lance stood, straightening his un-tucked, olive toned shirt. “Just do as I suggested and you’ll have your prisoners back,” He added, heading out of the door.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




The sun broke over the horizon, covering the land in warm golden light. It spilled through the thin curtains covering Ororo’s room in the inn, gently caressing her face as she slept. She stirred, eyelids fluttering open as she stretched underneath the warm blanket. Reluctantly, she left the bed and headed over to the window, spreading the thin curtains and looking out of her window, eyes gazing over the white stone of the buildings. She felt she could easily stand at the window for hours watching the mining town come alive. Instead she forced herself away from the window and the warm sunlight streaming through the glass.



Ororo quickly changed out of her blouse-turned nightshirt, changing back into her white dress and boots. Once she was dressed, she tugged her hair back into a ponytail and glanced around the room to make sure she had all of her things packed away. Satisfied, she grabbed her cloak off of the bed post and adjusted the strap of her bag to fit more comfortably across her shoulders, heading out the door.



Once downstairs, she spotted Piotr speaking with an older woman behind the bar with graying hair piled on top of her head in a mess of shiny curls. Ororo recognized her as the owner of the small inn, Melinda. Ororo smiled as she looked away from Piotr, waving cheerfully. Piotr, alerted by Melinda’s waving, turned from the bar to face Ororo who had started towards the bar.



“Good morning, Ororo,” He greeted, smiling down at her.



“Good morning, Piotr,” Ororo replied, smiling and turning to the other woman. “Good morning, Miss Melinda.”



“G’mornin’, Miss ‘Ro,” The older woman returned the smile, eyeing Ororo’s bag. “So you’re really leaving us today? Piotr here says you’ve got a journey ahead of ya, but I’ll sure be sorry to see ya go.”



“Yes, Miss Melinda, I should have really been on my way last night, but someone,” She sent a glance in Piotr’s direction, “convinced me to stay one more night.”



“Your traveling party knows to meet you today then?”



Ororo shook her head, “I am traveling alone.”



“Alone? A young thing like you?” It was Melinda’s turn to shake her head, tsking softly. “I have half a mind to send you right back upstairs or send Piotr here along with ya.”



“Really, Miss Melinda, that is not necessary. I am quite capable of taking care of myself.”



“Uh huh, I still think you’d be better off stickin’ ‘round here until we can find someone to look after ya.”



Ororo shook her head and dug into her skirt pocket to retrieve her coin purse. “Now, how much do I owe you?”



Melinda waved Ororo hands away as she attempted to hand her a few silver pieces to pay for her stay, “You don’t owe me a thing. I managed to grow quite fond of you girl, even though you were only here for a short time. You be sure to send word back to me when you get a chance, so I know you’re safe and sound.” Melinda glanced over at Piotr, “And I’m sure Piotr will want to make sure you’re okay.” She grinned at the slight blush that rose on his cheeks.



He cleared his throat, reaching for Ororo’s arm. “Come, Ororo, I’ll see you to the town gates.”



Melinda shook her head after them, still grinning. She saw the glitter of something out of the corner of her eye as the door closed. Sitting on the counter where Ororo had been leaning was one gold coin. Melinda laughed, “That little imp!”



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




“Are you sure you want to go on your own, Ororo?” Piotr asked once they reached the gates.



She tightened her grip on her bag, “Yes.” Ororo looked up into his concerned face and smiled, “I will be fine. Do not worry. I promise to send word of where I am if that will help.”



He smiled and nodded, “Da, but it is a long trip. Perhaps Melinda was right; we should find you some way so you won’t be traveling on foot.”



Ororo grinned up at him, reaching up and placing her free hand on his cheek, “Who said anything about walking?” Before he could ask what she meant, her eyes swirled white and she called the winds to her. Piotr stared down at her in awe as the winds wrapped themselves around her once she moved a few steps away from him. Ororo waved, smiling down at him as the winds lifted her, her eyes beginning to glow.



“Thank you for everything, Piotr,” She shouted over her winds. “You will hear from me soon, I promise.” He raised a hand in a gesture of farewell, watching as she rose higher before flying off towards the forest.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




Jean stood in the center of one of the many abandoned towers littered across the kingdom. This one was a particular favorite of hers as it was hidden deep within what was once a forest. Some time ago the forest had flooded, turning the area into a large swamp overrun with vines, moss and many variations of highly poisonous but unmistakably gorgeous flowers. She thought the flowers suited her: beautiful but deadly.



Another aspect of the tower Jean loved was its extremely limited access. No one could reach it unless they were able to fly and managed to see the tower hidden beneath its shield of vines. She also thought the vivid green glow that surrounded the area complimented her well.



Looking away from the shattered stained glass window, Jean turned her attention to the circle of broken and irregularly shaped crystals she had arranged on a small, round blood wood table. As she stared at them, the crystals began to glow a dull and rusty pink.



‘Good, they’re ready,’ She thought, heading towards the small, barred room that had been added to the rear of the tower, her heavy black skirts dragging along the stone floor. Peering between the rusty bars she smiled as the young girl huddled as far away from the bars as she could get. Her grey eyes were bloodshot as she stared up at Jean, eyes filling with tears. She tugged at the chains, attached to her wrists and ankles as if willing them to break and set her free. Jean chuckled as the girl whimpered through the dingy white rag that gagged her.



“Would you like me to take you out of there?” Jean asked, leaning down to be eye level with the bound girl. She smiled as the girl nodded, frantically, and tugging harder at the chains causing a dull rattle to echo through the small prison cell. “Okay, I think that would be alright.”



Jean stood up straight, brushing her fiery waves behind her shoulders and waved her hand towards the bars. The bars rose, ancient metal groaning in protest. She then clenched her fist, causing the chains to break from their bindings and wrap tightly around the girl, pinning her arms to her side.



She laughed as the girl began to struggle against them, waving her hand towards her, using her powers to drag the girl from the cell. Jean walked back to the table, enjoying the sound of the girl’s bare legs scraping against the rough stone floor. She ignored the girl’s sobs, peering down at her crystals, looking for one in particular.



Her green eyes found the jagged rock and she carefully pulled it away from the others. Smiling back at the girl, she pulled her closer, forcing her upright, feet hovering inches from the ground. Jean watched as the girl’s grey eyes pleaded with her and shook her head, forcing her to bend over the table. She moved to stand next to the girl, her delicate fingers gripping the girl’s dark hair and yanking her head back.



“Be proud that your life will bring me closer to what is rightfully mine,” Jean whispered against the girl’s ear, pressing the sharp points of the crystal up against the girl’s throat. With a sharp flick of her wrist, Jean dug the point deep within the girl’s pale flesh, grinning as the girl’s muffled scream echoed in her ears.



Dragging the crystal across the girl’s neck, she smiled wider as the scream was cut short and the thick, warm blood oozed down her fingers and dripped onto the table. Jean watched as the small circle of table created by the crystals soon covered with the dark liquid, licking her lips as it flowed between the crystals and dripped slowly to the floor, staining the stones.



She dropped the girl to the floor as she went limp, smiling as the crystals glowed brighter and the blood began to swirl between them.



‘You won’t be safe for long…’



A/N: Continue?





You must login () to review.