The Goddess and the Animal


Chapter 12

“Well that was a complete waste of time,” Warren said stretching out his wings as they left the main hall of the castle they were staying in. Erik rolled his eyes at the prince and chose not to respond to his complaints. “Really Erik, why are we still here?”

Erik turned down the hall that led to their separate suites. “We are still here because our meeting is not over, so it would be for the best if you stop complaining about every little detail.” They had reached Erik’s room and he moved away from the younger man, grateful that his room was first. “Now, go get some rest.” Before Warren could say anything more, Erik disappeared behind the door.

With a roll of his blue eyes, Warren continued down the hall on his own, grumbling to himself. He went inside his own room. Ruffling his feathers, he glanced around his room in disgust. He really couldn’t stand this place. Everything from the kingdom’s horrid national colors to the set up of his quarters annoyed him.

Today he had suffered through another boring discussion concerning inter-kingdom relations. The previous days had been slightly more interesting, especially with the introduction of the kingdom’s princess, Helena. But still, he could honestly say many of the common women from his kingdom were much prettier than the princess and the courtiers.

That wasn’t to say the princess was ugly, she just wasn’t as beautiful as everyone proclaimed. She also seemed to giggle every time she glanced in his direction. Warren couldn’t understand what she found so amusing.

With a frustrated sigh he stretched his wings to their fullest, crossing his arms over his chest. All this politeness was getting old.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Ororo touched down just outside of the next town’s gate a little after noon. She had remembered to take a quick survey of the layout this time, so she knew right where to go to reach town square. As she walked underneath the large archway, she pulled her cloak hood over her bright white hair and adjusted the strap of her bag.

While she walked toward the square, she looked at the buildings. They were all made of a deep red stone, much different than from the white buildings she had been surrounded by in the last town. The buildings were also spaced further apart. The bricks lining the road were a much lighter shade of red. With the sun shining down, the town seemed to give off a rusty glow.

There seemed to be more businesses in this town, ranging from the normal bakeries and grocers to various art shops and street vendors. Many called out to her as she passed by, but Ororo merely gave them a small smile as she continued on.

She would check in to the inn and then afterwards she would explore.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


“Kid, would you hurry up?” Logan said, looking back at Remy. He couldn’t see why Remy felt the need to stop at every female vendor they passed by. Every young female vendor anyway.

Remy rolled his unique colored eyes and turned back to the brunette he had been talking to. He took her hand and kissed it, grinning up at her, “Remy is glad to meet you, chère, but ‘e needs to be getin’ on ‘is way now. Mebe ‘e’ll see you around.” He sent her a wink as giggled.

“KID!”

“Remy t’inks you should be mo’ patient, mon ami.” Remy said, easily catching up to Logan. “We ‘ave plenty of time.”

“Before Summers’ guards track us down?”

“Are you always dis negative?”

“Yes,” Logan said turning into the red brick inn. Remy just shook his hand and followed the older man inside.

“We could at least take a look around dis town,” Remy suggested, looking around the lobby of the small inn. It was much larger than the last place, but the staff seemed a bit more distant. Various shades of red decorated the area. Even the staff’s uniforms were a deep rusty red.

Logan sighed, “Will that shut you up?”

Oui, fo’ now.”

“Fine, go,” Logan said, raising a hand in dismissal as he walked over to the desk. “We’re still leavin’ tonight, so be ready ta go.” He heard the bag that Remy had been carrying drop to the floor before the sound of his almost skipping footsteps went back out the door. Logan shook his head and went back to grab the bag Remy had left on the floor. As he stood up, he caught the scent of someone he thought he’d never see again. Turning towards the staircase he saw the white haired beauty, slowly ease down the stairs, one slim hand holding up her white skirts so they wouldn’t get in the way.

‘What is she doin’ here?’ Logan thought, walking back toward the desk before Ororo reached the bottom of the stairs. He didn’t think she was involved in this but maybe he was wrong. He’d have to keep an eye on her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Ororo could not believe how different things in this town were compared to her home and even the mining town she had just left. People crowded the streets in the early afternoon sun, bartering with craftsmen and merchants over the price of goods while carriages and carts pulled by horses and mules nosily made their way.

As she made her way through the town she tried to ignore the nagging feeling that someone was watching her. She had felt that way since she had left the inn. Ororo had begun to get used to the stares after spending the day in mining town. These places were not like her hometown and they were not used to her looks. Although she had seen some unique people wandering around through the crowd, she figured the townspeople were used to their people but not outsiders.

A few minutes later, she spotted a mail service and decided she had better send word back to Piotr and Melinda and perhaps she should let her family know she was alright.

Dear Miss Melinda and Piotr,

I am writing this at one of the tables in the mail service building to let you both know that I reached the next town safely. Do not worry, I will spend the night here and leave first thing tomorrow morning. Once there I will be sure to send word. I hope things are well with both of you.


Ororo signed the note before addressing it and moving it to the side. She wished she had more to tell, but she had no exciting news to share. Perhaps in the next town something more interesting would happen. She pulled out another piece of parchment and twirled the quill between her fingers.

Dear Father and beloved sisters,

Ororo stared down at the rest of the blank parchment, unsure of what she could say. Should she apologize for leaving? She shook her head at that thought. Ororo knew she had done nothing wrong. She didn’t feel she should explain what she was doing, or why she felt she had to leave. What could she say?

Do not worry. I am fine.

With that, she folded the paper without signing it. ‘That was enough,’ She thought, picking up her letters and walking over to the service counter. He took down the information he needed for the letters to be mailed and Ororo paid the small fee. Once he assured her that the letters would reach their destination within a day or two, she walked out the door only to bump into someone right outside.

“Oh, excuse me.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Logan grinned, turning to face her. “We gotta stop bumpin’ into each other like this, darlin’.”

Ororo raised a snowy eyebrow, “I believe I told you my name is not ‘darlin’’.”

“Yeah, ya did, Ororo, but I didn’t think I’d be seein’ ya again so soon.”

“If I were the type to feel paranoid then I would believe you were following me, Logan.”

“An’ if I didn’t know better I’d think yer the one followin’ me, ‘Ro.” He chuckled at the surprised look on her face at the shortened version of her name.

“Perhaps,” She started, walking down the street forcing Logan to follow her, “we merely have the same destination.”

“How ‘bout we talk about that over a late lunch?”

“I was only joking.”

Logan shrugged, “If we are headed ta the same place we might as well head there together. It’d sure save us fro havin’ ta bump into each other.”

Ororo seemed to think this over, “You know, Logan, I may have to take you up on that offer.”

A/N: Continue?





You must login () to review.