Chapter 13


“I hafta say, I wasn’t expectin’ ta run into you again, Ororo,” Logan said reaching forward and grabbing his mug from the table. Ororo didn’t respond right away, but instead took another look around the small pub Logan had found.

The dark wood that made up the walls made the place seem much darker even with the bright sunlight streaming in from the large front window. Or perhaps it was just Logan’s table choice against the back wall, furthest from the door and window. Dusty alcohol bottles lined the shelves behind the bar counter which was lined with equally dusty mugs. As drink orders were placed, the barmaid grabbed one of the mugs, quickly wiping it down before filling the order. There were only a few other people filling the scattered tables and mismatched chairs, most sitting close to the window and one seated at the counter.

Ororo turned back to Logan, pushing her hair back behind her ear, “I cannot say that I was planning on meeting you again. Although,” She rested her chin on her hand, “I cannot pretend that I am disappointed that our paths have crossed once more.”

Logan looked across the table, eyes tracing her face before meeting her bright blue eyes. “Never said anythin’ about bein’ disappointed, darlin’.” Ororo smiled a littler to herself, before turning her attention back to the front window. “Yer travelin’ party must be pretty quick.”

She glanced back at Logan, raising one snowy eyebrow, “Why is that?”

“Well I left last night,” Logan started, putting his mug back on the table. “You had to have left sometime this mornin’ but ya got here before noon. Unless you left right at the crack o’ dawn, those horses must be pretty quick to get you here before me.”

“Who said I got here by horses?” Ororo asked with a chuckle.

“Never heard of a walkin’ travelin’ party an’ that would’ve taken ya longer ta get here.”

Ororo laughed, “Logan, I am traveling alone.”

“Yer what? I couldn’t ’ve heard that right.”

“You did.”

“A pretty girl like you walkin’ from town to town doesn’t seem smart.” Logan said crossing his arms over his chest. “There’s all sorts o’ characters out there just waitin’ fer someone like you ta come along.”

“I am perfectly capable of protecting myself.”

“Uh huh.”

“I arrived here just fine didn’t I?”

“Bein’ lucky ain’t the same thing as bein’ safe, ‘Ro.” He grinned as she rolled her eyes. “So where ya headed?”

“I am on my way to the Royal City, and you?”

“I’m headed that way myself.” Logan watched as she took a hesitant sip from her mug. “How ‘bout we go together?”


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



“Warren, are you ready yet?” Erik asked, impatiently knocking on the door to Warren’s suite. The door opened and Warren was standing there with a smirk.

“Of course I am, Erik. I have been ready to leave this place since we arrived.”

Erik rolled his eyes and headed toward the main staircase to leave the castle. Warren followed quickly. They passed by their hosts, politely saying farewell as they passed through the main foyer. Erik would miss this place. Here he had other people to talk to than the spoiled prince and the vain sorceress. Perhaps he would return here after the prince’s coronation. He had no reason to stay to advise the prince. Warren would not listen to anyone but himself.

Warren nearly ran out of the castle. He couldn’t wait to get back to his castle and his kingdom. He never had to return to this place. If there had to be another royal conference, they would be meeting in his kingdom. Dealing with this would be bearable if he could be comfortable. Not that he wanted to ever deal with this again.

Once outside, Warren spread his wings, glad for the opportunity to stretch a bit before the long journey home. He was tempted to fly home, but he was sure that Erik would disapprove. Of course that only made the temptation that much greater, but instead he stepped into his carriage, taking one final glance around the grounds. Erik followed suit, stepping instead, and waving goodbye as the carriage door closed.

He turned to see Warren staring out the opposite window, ignoring the shouts wishing them a safe journey and invitations to visit again.

“Warren you could at least wave goodbye and pretend you enjoyed the time here,” Erik said with a sigh.

“Why bother? You did enough sucking up for the entire kingdom. There is no point in me taking a second of that task away from you.”

Erik rubbed his temples slowly as the carriage started to move. This was going to be a long trip.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Night had fallen in the kingdom, closing the shops and filing all of the pubs. A young miner sat at his desk and by the light of one flickering candle, began to sketch the figure of a young woman dancing in the sky, wondering if she was safe. As his charcoal glided over the smooth paper, details appeared.

Her skirts twirling in the wind, her hair whipping around her face framing the curve of her jaw as she smiled.

He hoped he would hear from her soon.

Miles away from the young miner, a father and his two adopted daughters sat down for their evening meal. The youngest pushed her food around her plate with her fork, picking up the occasional morsel to her mouth, chewing slowly while the oldest glanced at the chair across from her every few minutes as if expecting someone to appear in the empty space. The father hadn’t touched his plate, but instead sat with fingers interlaced staring out the nearby window into the forest as though looking for answers within the tall trees.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



“Erik, did you hear something?” Warren asked staring out the window at the dark trees speeding past in a blur.

“No,” Erik replied shortly.

“Are you sure you didn’t hear a thump?”

“Yes, Warren, I’m sure I did not hear a thump.” Erik raised an eyebrow as the prince pressed his ear against the glass.

“There! There it goes again!”

“Warren, I’m sure it’s just the carriage driving over some rocks. There’s nothing to…” Erik trailed off as something hit against the front carriage wall behind his head followed by a loud thump from the ground. As the two royals looked at each other in confusion, the carriage sped up.

“Erik, I think something is wrong.” Warren said quietly, moving away from the window.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Warren. They’ve probably just spotted a storm headed towards us.”

Just as Erik finished the carriage jerked violently, knocking the crowns off both of their heads and began to slow down.

“Do you smell something… burning?” Warren asked, looking around the carriage.

Erik saw thick black smoke rising up around his window and felt the bottom of his feet getting hot. “Warren, get out of the carriage.”

“What? Are you insane old man? We’re moving!”

“Now, Warren!” Erik shouted, pushing the prince against the door. Warren and Erik both tumbled out of the burning carriage onto the hard ground below in a heap, getting the wind knocked out of them. The stood up, shaking the dirt and leaves from their clothes while watching their flaming carriage slow to a stop leaving bits of fiery wood in its wake.

“Well, hello,” An amused voice said from behind them. Erik and Warren both turned to see a tall figure standing a few feet in front of them, grinning around the cigarette in his mouth.

Warren squinted at the figure, recognizing something about the man’s stance. “You!” He shouted realizing who the man was. “What is the meaning of this? I told you I would contact you if we needed your services again.”

John chuckled, pulling out his dagger, “Who said I was workin’ for you?”

Erik’s eyes narrowed, “Jean!”

“Aren’t you a smart one?” John smirked, twirling his dagger in his hand. “Guess I’d better get rid of you first then, huh?”

“Warren let’s get out of here,” Erik said as John took a step closer. Warren spread his wings, quickly taking to the sky as Erik pulled as much magnetic field to him to force himself up. Or at least he tried to. When nothing happened, he stared down at his hands in shock.

John laughed, tossing his blade into the air as the old man tried again. “A little going away gift from Jeannie,’ He waited until Erik looked up at him. “She did a little voodoo and snatched those amazing powers of yours. Nice of her wasn’t it?”

Erik frowned, looking up to the sky. Warren wouldn’t notice he wasn’t with him until it was too late. “Yes. She really shouldn’t have.”

John shrugged, flicking the butt of his cigarette away and throwing the dagger right into Erik’s chest, cleaning his front teeth with his pinky nail as the old man dropped to his knees. Taking a few long strides, he reached the fallen man, yanking out the blade with a flick of his wrist.

“Nothing personal,” John muttered as Erik fell back, clutching the fatal wound. Whistling, John cleaned off his blade before putting it away; ignoring the older man’s dying gasps.

“Here birdie,” John called, walking in the direction Warren flew off in. As he passed by the still burning carriage, he saw a large shadow pass over the ground. Smiling wickedly to himself, John pulled a small fireball from the flames around him. Forcing it to triple in size, he threw it up through the trees, sending another flying through the leaves right after. Moments later he heard a male voice screaming and loud crashing through the tree branches in the distance.

Still smiling, John lit another cigarette, disappearing back into the forest.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



“What we waitin’ fo’ Logan?” Remy asked as Logan stopped by the main gates, looking back into the town. “Thought you said we were leavin’ tonight?”

“We are kid.”

“Then what we waitin’ fo?” Instead of replying, Logan pointed back into town at the cloaked figure heading towards them. “Who’s dat?” Logan rolled his eyes and headed towards the figure, with Remy following behind. As they got close, she pulled off her hood, revealing her face and cloud colored hair.

“Almost thought ya weren’t gonna show, darlin’.”

She smiled, “I considered it, but then decided that would be very rude of me.” She glanced back at Remy who was looking back and forth between herself and Logan. “Logan did not tell me he was traveling with a friend.” She extended her hand. “I’m Ororo, and you are?”

“Dat makes two of us, chère.” He took her hand and kissed it, grinning up at her as she chuckled, “Remy LeBeau.”



A/N: Continue?





You must login () to review.