Chapter 14


“SUMMERS!” A loud shout echoed down the hall causing Scott to look up from the map spread out on his desk. As the call was repeated, he put down his parchment and quill before standing. He had been finishing up a list, separating his top guards into teams to go after the escaped convicts.

One of his guards burst through the door, chest heaving as he tried to catch his breath. “King… Forest… Dead,” the man managed to get out. Scott raised an eyebrow, but stayed silent waiting for the man to explain. Moments later, the man stood up straight, saluting quickly. “Sir, I was patrolling the forest just beyond the prison grounds after civilians reported that they heard loud screams and other unusual sounds coming from within the woods.” The guard paused as Scott nodded. “I was expecting to find something between the trees, but the incident occurred on the carriage path. The King Erik’s body was there a few feet away from the burned remains of the Royal Carriage. There was no sign of the prince. I ran here to report in.”

Frowning, Scott turned to the window behind his desk looking over the surrounding forest. The guard stayed in the doorway, waiting for orders. Scott knew he would have to examine the scene for himself before sending word to Raven and the castle.

‘Go get the other senior guards,’ Scott ordered not bothering to face the other man. “Tell them to meet me at the front gate in ten minutes with the cart.”

“Yes sir,” The other man said before turning to carry out his orders.

Sighing, Scott gathered the things he would need down at the scene. He would have to talk to the closest scientist once the body or bodies were recovered. Scott had heard that bad things come in threes. He sincerely hoped that this was the final misfortune and the good things were around the corner.

A few minutes later, Scott was walking down the corridor and heading towards the front doors. As he walked through the front doors he saw that his top guards were already outside waiting for him. They were lined up perfectly and stood at attention. Scott nearly smiled as his eyes raked over them from behind his ruby glasses.

“Well men, we have a big task ahead of us. In the forest surrounding the prison, there may have been a double murder. We need to find as many clues as possible in order to find out what happened and why. Now, let’s move out people.” The men saluted and turned on a dime, marching toward the forest path. The last man lead one large black horse harnessed to large wooden cart. Scott walked up to the front, marching beside the led man.

Soon the team was walking through the trees, their heavy boots snapping fallen twigs causing the birds to scatter. The tree cover was still quite thin so Scott was not worried about the cart becoming stuck. He also knew the path would be coming up soon, so he would not need to worry about the denser areas of forest nearby. As they walked, Scott thought about everything the guard had told him and tried to imagine what the area would look like when they arrived. From what he knew, the place should be relatively neat for a murder scene. Confident that his team would be able to find enough clues to lead them to the killer, he led them through the break in the trees to the path.

He stood at the tree line and watched as his team continued on; making sure that the cart wheels did not get tangled in the bush. Scott then moved back to the front of the team. As the rounded the curve in the path, Scott paused. In front of him was a scene much different than the one he imagined.

Four bodies lay twisted and broken leading up to a blackened heap at least half a mile from where Scott stood. He led his team to the first body. The man was in the official uniform of the carriage Royal Carriage drivers. The usually crisp white “ although it appeared to be pink to Scott “ shirt was rumbled and stained with dirt and blood and the light blue “ light purple to Scott “ roped trim had been ripped off, only hanging onto the shirt by threads. The man’s body lay twisted as if he had been pushed from a height. Carefully, Scott flipped the man over and saw the jagged slash across the man’s throat.

Standing he stood, nodding to his team. Three guards moved to the man, kneeling down to begin examining the body. Scott watched them work for a moment, and then continued passing another body which was in the same position as the first. He reached the next body with the rest of the team “ excluding the one controlling the horse and cart “ following behind. This man was almost in the same condition as the first, only it seemed as if he had been run over by the carriage. Scott crouched down, closing the man’s open eyes. Again, Scott nodding and three guards began examining the body, careful not to break anything else.

With the last three guards, Scott made his way to the last body. He knew this was not a member of the Royal Carriage drivers. He could see the richness of the man’s clothing even from a distance. He stopped a few feet from the body and looked around. In front of him a man laid face down, the ground around him dark. His eyes were wide open, staring off to left, into the trees. His arms were pinned underneath him and his clothing and hair were rumbled as if he had struggled before his death.

Frowning, Scott knelt down and turned the king’s body over. His arms fell limply and Scott saw that his hands were covered in blood. Pulling a thick scrap of cloth from his pocket, Scott pressed it into the dark spot on the king’s chest, cleaning some of the blood away so he could see the wound. This wound was much different that the others. Instead of the jagged lines, this was a neat stab wound to the heart.

As he stood, he noticed the footprints leading to the wreckage. Scott followed them, careful not to stand to close and soon stood at the carriage remains. The footprints then lead off to the left, disappearing into the trees. Swearing to himself, he stared into what was left of the carriage. As he started to head back to his guard, he spotted something a few feet away. Stepping over the footprints, he walked over. Frowning, Scott picked up the handful of badly singed feathers, staring off in the distance.

“Thomas!” Scott shouted. A guard was soon by his side.

“Sir?”

“Send word to the Governess and the Castle,” Scott said, closing his fist around the feathers. “Tell them King Erik and Prince Warren are dead.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Jean smiled as she re-read the letter from the prison. Her plans seemed to be going well. She didn’t even mind that John hadn’t reported back to her right after completing his task. Jean traced Scott’s signature with her fingertips, almost giggling. Her eyes darted up to the door as the handle turned. Grabbing her handkerchief from the nearby table she held it to her face, sniffling and hunching her shoulders. One of her maids peeked around the door.

“Milady?”

“Yes?” Jean answered quietly, keeping her eyes on the parchment, forcing her eyes to tear up.

“The people have been told to gather underneath the balcony in thirty minutes, milady. Would you like me to send for someone to make the announcement now?”

“No, that won’t be necessary. I can do it myself. The people need to see that we will be strong during this tragedy.”

“Yes, milady,” the maid said and with a bow she left. Jean laughed behind her hand, standing from the couch. With a grin she nearly skipped to her closet, throwing open the doors. She ran her hands over her new gowns, trying to decide which she would wear for her announcement. She stopped on the one made of black silk. She fingered the long lace sleeves.

‘Christina, bring my ladies’ maids.’

Minutes later, three maids walked through the door, keeping their eyes to the ground.

“I am wearing this,” Jean said, pulling out the black gown. “Get my things.” She watched as they fussed about. One gathered all her undergarments and shoes, while other two set out brushes, hair clips, makeup and perfumes. After pulling off her dressing gown, Jean stepped into her underclothes. With some help, she got into her gown, pulling her hair over her shoulder as one of her maids began tightening the lacings of her corseted bodice. Once she finished, Jean sat at her vanity, straightening the long skirts around her legs. She watched as her maids busied themselves by fixing her hair into a thick braided bun, held with sparkling clips and carefully applying her makeup.

Once they were finished, Jean stood, stepping into her black heels before heading towards the doors. Workers were changing the drapery along the halls from Warren’s choice of sky blue silks to beautiful, deep emerald shades. Vases and floral arrangements were also being changed to match the new color scheme. The servants stopped working as she passed, bowing their heads briefly, not that Jean paid them any mind.

As she neared the doorway to the main balcony, she looked up at the larger than life size portraits of Warren and Erik. She saw that black cloth had been draped around each painting. Frowning, Jean made a mental note to have those paintings removed and a larger one of herself put in their place.

She cleared her throat, and two servants rushed over, opening both doors for her. Jean straightened her lace sleeves and folded her hands in front of her as she walked to the railing. Most of the city had come out to hear the announcement. Dull murmurs from the crowd reached Jean’s ears. She watched as more and more faces turned up towards her, silence falling over them.

“Almost one week ago, His Majesty King Erik and His Royal Highness Prince Warren set off for a visit to our neighboring kingdom. Their journey allowed them a chance for a few special visits to towns along the way. They were due to arrive back to the castle this very afternoon.” Jean paused and sighed. “Unfortunately, on their journey home, they were murdered by an unknown person or persons in the woods between the kingdoms.” She paused once more as the crowd broke out in panicked murmurs.

Wincing slightly, Jean closed her mind against the outburst of worried thoughts. “The Elite Prison Guards are currently searching the woods and surrounding towns. Soon prison guards will be stationed in every town to protect the citizens. However, since the true heir to the throne has no other living relatives, the royal line has died out. In the midst of this tragedy I am prepared to take the throne.” As she spoke, the Royal Council joined her on the balcony, the oldest member carrying a gleaming crown on a pillow. Jean took the crown from him and placed it on top of her head. “Any news will be posted around the city.”

Jean turned away from the crowd, walking back into the castle. Lifting her skirts, she went down a nearby stairway, heading towards her private rooms. She reached out to the heavy wooden door with her telekinesis, unlocking it and pushing it open. Locking it behind her, Jean walked over to the bubbling caldron. Next to it was another table covered in jagged crystals. As she got near, the crystals began to glow a light pink. Smiling, Jean ladled some of the thick, blood red liquid, pouring it on the table, breathing in the rush of steam. The crystals grew brighter as the liquid spread across the wooden surface and dripped to the floor.

“It’s almost time.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


“Logan, Remy t’inks we should stop befo’ we get to da next town,” Remy said, leaning against a nearby tree. Logan rolled his eyes and continued on, Ororo following behind at a slower pace as she looked around the forest. The sun was minutes from breaking the horizon. Remy sighed, moving away from the tree and catching up to Ororo. “But what about the mademoiselle? ‘Roro must be a tired from walking all night.”

Logan paused, looking over his shoulder at her.

“I am fine. We can rest once we reach the town. It should not be much further,” Ororo looked through the trees. “I believe it is just beyond the tree line.” Logan nodded, grinning to himself as he started walking again.

“You heard the lady, kid.”

The sun was just beginning to break through the trees as they reached the edge of the forest. About a mile ahead of them sat the town they were staying in for the day. Brightly colored balloons floated above the buildings, and chimes could be heard ringing from the clock tower on the edge of town.

“I will go look ahead to find where the inns are,” Ororo volunteered, stepping forward.

“I don’t think so, darlin’. I’ll scout ahead. You an’ the kid can stay here.” Logan said, grabbing her arm, pulling her back.

“It would be much faster if I were the one to go ahead, Logan.” Ororo said, her eyes swirled white as she called the winds to her. Logan took a quick glance around, sniffing as the wind picked up quickly. He looked back at Ororo, raising an eyebrow. “You might want to let go.” She said, with a soft rubble of thunder echoing in her voice, as she began to rise from the ground. Logan released her arm, staring as she flew off.

“Well, dat explains how de fille, always beat us,” Remy said, taking Ororo’s abandoned space.

Logan grunted. That certainly explained why she had such a pleasant scent around her as well. His eyes followed her every move as she flew higher, twisting and diving a bit as if she were stretching or testing the winds. They watched her slowly circle the town, stopping every so often and hovering. She flew back towards them minutes later, her winds disturbing the branches above Logan and Remy’s head. Ororo landed gracefully, blue and the winds died down, color returning to her eyes.

“There are four main roads going through the town and lots of smaller walkways. The town square is spreads out from the clock tower. There are not that many people out quite yet so we should be able to get decent rooms in one of the inns.” Ororo reported, braiding her hair and pulling her hood over her head once she was finished. “However, I did see a few carts heading in this direction so we should hurry.”

“You shouldn’t cover yer face like that, ‘Ro,” Logan said as they began walking down the slight hill to reach the town.

“I have found I hear less whispers and attract less attention when I wear my hood.”

“Let ‘em look an’ whisper. Just means they’re too chicken ta walk up ta ya. No reason you should be the one hidin’.”

“Remy agrees wit’ Logan, ‘Roro.” Logan shot Remy a look, behind Ororo’s back. Remy ignored it, but noticed the slight grin on Logan’s face as she pulled the cloth from over her hair. “Ya never told us where you were from.”

“I am from the little village of Coventry, right outside of the forest between the borders separating the kingdoms.”

“Dat’s interesting. Logan is from dat forest. We went through dere a couple days ago,” Remy said, grinning as Logan sent him another glare. He then remembered the girl he saw in that town. “Remy wonders if you know a jolie fille, he saw dere. She ‘ad long auburn ‘air wit’ white streaks in da front and big green eyes…” He stopped as Ororo began to chuckle. “What’s so funny?”

“Yes, Remy. I do know her. I know her very well in fact,” Ororo said with a smile. “And I should. She is my sister.” Remy’s eyes lit up and Ororo remembered her sister’s words. 'Ah’ve never seen him before. He had these glowing red eyes.’ “I am pretty sure she remembers you as well.” She looked over at Logan who was staring ahead at the town. Ororo followed his gaze and was surprised to see that the town walls were only a few feet in front of them.

The low white stone wall surrounded the town and was surrounded by neatly pruned red and pink rose bushes. In front of them the wall ended and was replaced with a golden metal archway, shaped into curling vines and dotted with hearts. Climbing flowers, entwined themselves through the metal bars, dangling from the top. A large silver heart marked the center of the archway.

Beyond the wall the rose colored buildings spread out in neat rows, the deep red roof tiles sparkled in the early morning sun. They stepped through the town gates, onto the glittering, gold tinted brick street. Logan blew through his nose as the intense scent of roses and other flowers floated around them, coming from the town square.

“It is rather strong isn’t it?” Ororo asked. She loved flowers, but the smell was almost too strong for her to handle.

“Smells like they packed every flower they could get their hands on inside the gates,” Logan replied. He wondered why he couldn’t smell this before they reached the gates.

“They must have trapped the scent within the city with magic,” Ororo said. “Perhaps I can bring a little fresh air around us.” Soon a small breeze swirled around the three of them, weakening the smell of the flowers to a more pleasant level.

As they walked further into the town, more and more townspeople slowly filled the streets, opening shops and setting up carts. They smiled and waved at Logan, Remy and Ororo, wishing them good morning. They continued on with Remy flirting with the young female vendors. Soon they reached the town square which was filled with just opened shops. Here the scent of flowers was accompanied by freshly baked breads and pastries. A few inns were scattered around the square, one connected to a large casino that had just opened its doors.

Ororo and Logan turned towards the inn, leaving Remy behind with a young woman carrying a basket of roses. They had almost reached the doorway, when ringing bells echoed through the square.

“Kid, get over here,” Logan called as more people filed into the square. Young men ringing bells appeared near the clock tower. They watched as the men put up large posters. People crowded around trying to read the news.

Logan looked over at Ororo, “Think ya could make us a path?” She smiled, looking up to the sky, her eyes clouding over. Dark clouds rolled in, drawing everyone’s attention away from the posters as the sun was hidden. Thunder rumbled and the wind picked up, warning that a big storm threatened to burst from the sky. Lightning flashed causing the townspeople to scatter, running for shelter.

“I believe we have plenty of space now, don’t you?” Ororo said, walking to the signs and letting the storm dissipate. Logan and Remy quickly followed.

“Way ta go, Stormy!” Remy shouted, getting a laugh from Ororo and Logan.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Ororo, Logan and Remy all sat at the counter in the bar inside of the casino. Logan and Remy each had a beer “ or three in Logan’s case “ in front of them, while Ororo had a tall glass of iced tea. The sound of gambling was their background music.

“I suppose I should be on my way home,” Ororo said stirring her tea.

“You were hopin’ ta have a word with the king?” Logan asked, grabbing his beer.

“Yes, I had a few concerns.”

“Same here, darlin’.”

They sat there in silence, taking the occasional sip of their drinks. Remy was ignoring them both, watching the gamblers closely.

“Why don’t you go on over to a table and play a few hands, hun? You look like you’d be great at poker.” Remy looked up to see a woman standing to his left. She had a friendly smile on her face. “Go on, shoo. Table ten has a few spots open.” Remy smiled and nodded, heading off in the direction he suggested. Logan and Ororo watched as she took Remy’s vacated spot.

“I’m gonna hafta ask how you got him ta stay quiet.”

“I’ve had plenty of practice at home,” She looked over at Logan and Ororo, grinning. “While he’s distracted why don’t you two head on over to a real restaurant instead of sitting at this bar? A cute couple like you two shouldn’t be cooped up in a place like this during a visit to the romance capital of the kingdoms.”

“But we are not…” Ororo started.

“You two should relax while you can. Things are going to get real bad real quick now that the Sorceress has taken over. You three are the only ones that can stop her.”

“You gotta be shittin’ me lady.”

She chuckled, “I wish I was.”

“Cecelia!” A loud shout came from the lobby. The lady glanced over her shoulder at the blonde woman dressed in clingy, low cut white cloth who was headed towards her. “Your table has been empty for nearly thirty minutes. The costumers are looking to get their fortunes told and if you’re sitting at the bar, how can that happen?”

“Emma, if you’re so concerned that the costumers will leave without getting their fortunes, why don’t you take over my table while I’m on my break instead of draping yourself all over the high rollers in the casino?” Cecelia asked. Emma glared, crossing her arms over her barely covered chest. “Now, if you excuse me, I have to go get rooms for this lovely couple. Follow me, you two.” Cecelia stood, walking past a fuming Emma with Logan and Ororo following behind, drinks in hand.

Once at the main desk in the inn, Cecelia pulled out a huge notebook from underneath it.

“Excuse me, ma’am, but are you sure that you have the right people?” Ororo asked as Cecelia opened the book.

“Of course I am, Ororo. Now here are your room keys,” Cecelia said handing them three sets of keys. “You and Logan should head over to the restaurant across the square. Tell them I sent you over and you’ll get a good table. Don’t worry about Remy. I’ll keep an eye on him. Stop gaping at me and go on now. Oh and Ororo, you will need to be strong to defeat the darkness coming over the kingdom. Keep that trinket of yours close.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Logan and Ororo sat at one of the many candlelit tables set up around the large rectangular room. The drapes were pulled closed, with only the glow from the candles providing the light. The walls were covered in murals resembling starlit meadows and a peaceful lake reflecting a full moon. Soft harp and violin music played, while waiters and waitresses wandered through the tables taking orders and bringing out plates.

“I suppose I won’t be on my way home quite yet,” Ororo said, glancing around the restaurant.

“You really believe her?”

“You do not?”

Logan looked across the table into Ororo’s eyes. She stared back into his. He wanted to say he didn’t believe a word of it, but he knew there were too many things pulling them together. And he couldn’t honestly say that he would mind spending more time with Ororo even if it was following the advice of a stranger.

“You know what, darlin’? I can’t say I’ve been the type ta rush off an’ save kingdoms, but if there’s a chance we could do somethin’ we might as well take it. Better than bein’ shut in somewhere.” She smiled and Logan felt a little stirring inside of him. “You heard the royals havin’ a little talk in the woods that night.” Ororo looked surprised. “I saw yer hair flyin’ up in a tree an’ I caught yer scent on a breeze.” Logan reached over and took Ororo’s hand, relieved that she didn’t pull away. “I really didn’t think I’d see ya again after the mining town.”

“You say that you are not the type to rush off, but here you are. You were on your way to deal with a problem you heard in the woods.”

“’Ro, I’m…” Logan started but was interrupted by their waitress bringing out their orders.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Betsy was busy in the kitchen cooking while Rogue set the table. Their father was still working with Dr. McCoy. Things had been super quiet since Ororo left. Just as Betsy picked up a spoon to stir the stew she had been preparing a loud mental cry echoed in her head. The spoon clattered against the counter before hitting the floor as she clutched her head. The cries kept coming and Betsy collapsed to the floor.

“Rogue,” Betsy croaked, squeezing her eyes shut. “Rogue, help.”

“Bets?” Rogue asked rushing into the room. “Betsy! What’s wrong?” Betsy pointed towards the back door, groaning. “Take ya outside?”

She nodded. “Forest… we have to… help… call father…”

“Okay, Bets, take deep breaths, sug,” Rogue said, picking Betsy up and walking to the door. As she pulled open the door, she mentally called her father. ‘It’s Betsy! She’s having some sort of mental breakdown! She asked me to take her to the forest and call you. Please hurry and maybe you should bring Dr. McCoy.’ Rouge flew off in the direction that Betsy was waving, through the groaning.

Once through the tree line, Rogue had to walk, but only a minute or two later she heard something slowly tearing through the foliage. “Um, Bets?”

Betsy tumbled out of her sister’s arms, her katanas and started slashing through the bushes. After a few seconds of Betsy’s frantic slicing a hand and white feathers appeared.

“Rogue, help me get him out of here,” Betsy said quietly, pulling at the rest of the bushes. Rogue, who had been staring at the limp hand on the ground, looked up at her sister. She moved close, ripping out branches, while Betsy cleared the pieces from his wings. Within minutes, they had freed Warren from the bushes. He had horrible burns along his back and one of his wings appeared to be broken. There were scrapes and scratches along his face and hands.

“Betsy, how are we gonna get him outta here? Ah don’t think Ah should lift ‘im.”

“I can get him out if you can move the branches.” Betsy said, slowly lifting him with her telekinesis, making sure to support the broken wing without moving it. Rogue went ahead, pulling the branches out of the way. They moved quickly, trying to get him out as fast as possible so they could put him some place stable.

“It appears as if we will require your expertise, Dr. McCoy.” Xavier said from the tree line.

A/N: Sorry this took so long!! But it's twice as long as my usual chapters!





You must login () to review.