Chapter 4

“Kid, where do ya think yer goin’?” Logan asked as Remy turned down the hall leading to Scott’s office instead of continuing down the corridor leading to the back door. They had climbed over the ruins of the door, ignoring the shouts from the other inmates as the left the corridor.

“Remy ‘as to get somethin’ back befo’ ‘e goes anywhere.”

Logan raised an eyebrow, crossing his arms over his chest, “Summers stole somethin’ from a thief?”

“Remy t’inks dat could be bad fo’ ‘is reputation, so Remy gonna steal it back.”

Logan chuckled, turning to follow Remy down to Scott’s office. He was a little curious about what could’ve been stolen from the thief and figured it was more than his reputation that had Remy anxious to get the item back.

“Shouldn’t you notice someone stealin’ from you?”

“De guards knocked me unconscious first,” Remy replied, looking a bit sheepish. They continued the rest of the short walk to the end of the hall in silence.

Remy frowned to himself remembering the day before. He felt he should’ve been able to defend himself against the five guards that managed to track him down, but one of them recovered much faster than Remy had expected. He hadn’t been out long, but it was long enough for the guards to restrain and transport him to the prison. He should’ve known better than to make a pit stop that close to the prison, especially with the guards keeping an eye out for him in particular.

Perhaps it had been unwise to break into Kitty’s shop a little over a week ago with her being the Chief Prison Guard’s niece, but he couldn’t resist the challenge. She had created a few innovations to an invention Forge had created months before. Remy didn’t know what they were and didn’t particularly care. However, she had added a new type of lock to the front and back doors that she had invented herself. He watched as other thieves attempted breaking in, drawn by the amount of customers she had been getting over the weeks and failing to beat the locks.

So he waited for her to leave for the night, hiding in the shadow of an alley nearby the shop. He didn’t have wait very long. She locked up a few minutes after sunset, that little dragon pet of hers bouncing around, flapping its wings excitedly by her skirts as she fiddled with the complicated lock. His crimson eyes watched her walk down the narrow street after she finished with the lock and continued to watch until she was out of sight. Remy stood from his crouched position, glancing along both ends of the deserted road. Satisfied that no one was around, he launched himself into the air, catching hold of the awning that had provided most of the shadow he had been hiding in and pulled himself up onto the roof. Quietly, he crept along the roof tiles to the chimney, crouching down in the shadow there and waited for the sky to get darker.

At moonrise, Remy pulled his bo-staff out of his inside trench pocket, extending it as he stood. He twirled it in his hands a few times; making sure the inner hinges had properly locked. Taking another quick glance down the street, he judged the distance between the buildings. Remy took a few steps back before running towards the edge of the roof, using the staff to vault himself over the gap between the buildings at the last minute. He landed softly on the flat roof of Kitty’s building, crouching down just as he heard someone start whistling a tune. Peaking over the side of the roof, Remy saw it was just a shopkeeper who had finished locking up for the night and was heading in the opposite direction of his location.

Moving to the rear of the building, Remy jumped down of the roof, landing near the back door. He straightened his trench coat as he stood, making his way over to the door. Remy took a moment to study the lock before choosing a lock pick. It was more complicated that he was expecting but he had broken through worse. Within a few seconds he heard the soft click of the lock opening only to hear another lock snap into place. Frowning, Remy studied this new lock that was hidden within panel inside the door frame, wondering if there were more after this one. Selecting a new pick, he continued to study the lock. It was more complicated that the first one and took him a few minutes to work through it.

To his delight another lock did not click into place when the second lock was opened. Carefully, Remy pushed open the door expecting some kind of trap but there was none. Slipping into the room he headed over to the money drawer. This lock was much less complex than the ones securing the doors. He only took about a third of the money since he had been more interested in breaking the lock than stealing from Kitty. Pulling out his calling card “ an ace of spades “ he tossed it on top of the drawer before turning to leave.

Back in the present, Remy and Logan had reached the door to Scott’s office. They saw that the door had been left open a crack and Remy was slightly disappointed. This would make getting his staff back much easier but he wouldn’t get the same satisfaction as he would if the door had been locked.

“Looks like the coast is clear, kid,” Logan said pushing open the door. “Grab what’s yers so we can get the hell outta here.”

Remy walked into the room, scanning the meticulously organized office for his staff.

“Remy t’inks Monsieur Logan sounds a little jumpy.” He spotted his staff propped up in a corner and headed over to grab it, “Dere’s nothin’ to worry about, mon ami.”

The two were soon headed down the other corridor that led to the back door.

After being locked away in the maximum security cell for a little over seven years, Logan was looking forward to being back in the woods that he had watched everyday since his imprisonment.

Beside him, Remy had started twirling his staff seemingly at ease now that it was back in his possession. Logan didn’t see what could be so special about a metal stick but to each their own. Once they reached the back door, they saw that it too was left cracked open. ‘The guards must have rushed out of here in a hurry,’ Logan thought, pushing the door open the rest of the way. The bright mid-morning sun that was shining just outside of the prison grounds caused Logan to squint, but he welcomed the change from the dingy prison light.

“So,” Remy said as they stepped out, heading towards the prison borders, “wha’ now?”

Logan stared in the direction of his home, remembering his last day there.

“Now we get some real grub.”

~Continue?





You must login () to review.