Chapter 5

“Well that was just as exciting as the last town.” Prince Warren said with a roll of his blue eyes.

Erik watched as Warren lifted the crown off his head and began twirling it between his fingers and adjusted the crown resting on top of his head. Erik ignored the rest of the complaints spewing from the Prince’s mouth as they made their way back to the carriage. It was times like these when he truly believed it would be better if he remained the crowned king. With Jean’s help getting rid of Warren and all the subjects’ memories of the spoiled brat would be so simple.

He had mentioned this idea to Jean with some hesitation. She could easily take his idea and get rid of both him and Warren, taking the kingdom for herself. Honestly, Erik couldn’t understand why she hadn’t already done just that. It wasn’t too surprising that she admitted considering the idea, but he couldn’t believe that she suggested that Warren was a necessary part in keeping the kingdom running properly. Erik glanced over at the Prince who was still complaining. ‘What possible use could he have?’ Erik thought with a frown. In his opinion Warren was just a royal pain in the ass. He was sure there had to be a rule somewhere that princes were supposed to be charming.

“Warren,” Erik said, finally sick of the whining. “Shut. Up.” Erik barely caught the chuckle as the prince looked as if he was slapped in the face.

“How dare you speak to me that way!” Warren shouted when he recovered.

“I do believe I currently outrank you, princey.”

“Not for long, old man and just you wait,” Warren said with a grin that didn’t match his otherwise angelic features. “Once I’m King, all those perks and privileges you enjoy so much are gone.”

“Do you think you will be able to get rid of me that easily?” Erik said crossing his arms over his chest. “And what exactly could you do, boy? Flap your wings at me?”

The prince merely shrugged, placing his crown back on top of his golden head. “It’s nearly sunset and we have one last stop to make,” He said calmly, opening the carriage door before one of the horsemen could. “After you, your majesty,” Prince Warren said with a mocking bow.

“If you think you can outsmart me, Warren,” Erik said stepping into the carriage, “you even more brainless than I thought.”

“Whatever you say, Erik, whatever you say.”
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“’Ro! Betsy’s doin’ it again!” Ororo heard her younger sister Rogue yell from somewhere inside the house accompanied by a loud thump that shook the walls.

“I’m not doing anything! She started everything!”

“Liar! Ah ain’t start anythang!”

Ororo rolled her eyes and continued washing the dishes, “It would be appreciated if you two tried not to destroy the house today. Please go cause chaos out doors before you break something.”

“Yes, mum!” Ororo heard Betsy yell before hearing them run out the front door.

Ororo shook her head. Sometimes it was hard to believe her younger sisters were only a year or so younger than herself. At times she’d swear they were twelve and not in their twenties. She chuckled as she spotted Rogue “ through the kitchen window “ take to the air to dodge one of Betsy’s attacks.

It had been another day of chores for the girls, mostly to keep themselves occupied. Their father had been away for the entire day once again and the girls had cleaned until the little house till the walls nearly sparkled in the late afternoon sun. Ororo was unsure how her father and Henry would be able to keep things in the little village quiet for much longer. Surely someone would notice the girl’s disappearance.

“Oh mah gawd,” Rogue shouted snapping Ororo from her thoughts.

“What is it, Rogue?” Ororo asked opening the kitchen window.

“Ah think it’s the royal carriage,” Rogue replied flying a little higher to try to get a better look.

“Are you sure you’re not just imagining things, Rogue?” Betsy asked looking up at her sister. With a quick dive, Rogue scooped up her older sister and lifted them both back up to where she had been hovering.

“What else would have that much gold and fancy mess? Don’t it look like somethin’ out of a fairy tale?”

“Ororo, you have to come see this!” Betsy shouted, ignoring Rogue’s questions.

After dropping the dish she had been cleaning back into the soapy water and drying her hands on a towel, Ororo headed out the back door.

“Is it headed this way?” Ororo asked, her eyes glowing white as she called the wind to her. Soon she was hovering next to her sisters.

“It seems like it’s heading towards the forest,” Betsy answered.

“But why would it been headed that way this late? It would make more sense to go to the inn, wouldn’t it?” Rogue asked.

“Perhaps there is a Royal Lodge of some sort in the forest,” Ororo suggested with a frown. She knew the forests around the village almost as well as she knew her own home. She often took walks “ or flights “ through them and the only building that she knew of within the forest was a small deserted cabin miles away from the edge of the woods. Even though the carriage was headed in the direction, Ororo doubted if that was the destination. Had she passed by another building? As she watched the carriage continue into the forest on the narrow path she began to think something was wrong.

“You two go back in the house and wait for father,” Ororo said starting off towards the forest.

“Where are you goin’?” Rogue asked.

“I am just going to let our royal visitors know there is a perfectly suitable inn within the village,” Ororo lied. “I will be back soon.” Not bothering to wait for her sisters to respond, Ororo took off towards the tree line. She pushed herself, calling stronger winds to help her get to the forest faster. She didn’t want to get too behind the carriage and she knew she would have to slow down while flying through the trees.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Remy t’inks dis a long way ta go fo’ supplies,” Remy said as he continued following Logan through the forest. “Wha’ we need supplies fo’ anyway?”

“Kid, Summers ain’t just gonna let us get away that easy. He’s gonna send guards after us as soon as he sees we’re gone.” Logan glanced back at Remy, “And ya ain’t exactly cut out to survive the woods.”

“Remy’ll do jus’ fine, mon ami,” Remy said barely managing to dodge a branch before it slapped him in the face. “Remy t’inks you did dat on purpose.” He said, brushing his hair out of his eyes and walking right into Logan who had stopped mid-step. “Merde, a warnin’ would’ve been nice.”

“Shut yer trap, I heard somethin’.” Logan sniffed, catching the faint scent of horses a few miles away as the wind picked up. “What’s a carriage doin’ in these parts this late?”

“Mehbe startin’ dere search already?” Remy suggested.

“Nah, sounds too nice ta be somethin’ from the prison,” Logan said turning in the direction of the horses. “Come on, we’ll get the supplies later.”

Remy sighed, jogging to catch up to Logan who had taken off in a run. ‘What have I gotten myself into now?’

A/N: Continue?





You must login () to review.