Avoidance.

It was a skill that Ororo had perfected over the past week. From the moment that she’d simply turned on her heel and left without uttering another word after seeing Forge in Emma’s office until now, she’d been assiduously working at it.

If she’d had her choice, it was a skill she’d continue to practice until she’d completely mastered it.

Except, hiding out was not really her personality, as Logan had taken pains to remind her daily. And Ro had to admit that he was right. Drat the man!

And now, here she was hovering outside the door of her father’s hospital room, readying herself for a conversation that she’d avoided all week. Oh, she still called everyday, careful to speak only with his doctor or his nurse. But the chiding glances from Logan whenever she hung up the phone made her squirm with shame.

With a deep breath, Ororo plastered a pleasant smile on her face and thrust the heavy door open. As usual the private room with the pale lavender walls was filled to bursting with cards and flowers. Even a month after the accident, her father was still receiving well wishes.

He was sitting up having his blood pressure taken. Ororo’s heart lifted a bit as she noticed his cheeks didn’t look quite as sunken in as they had the last time she’d seen him. There was even a bit of color there. Nurse Haley looked up at the intrusion, her eyes lighting at the sight of Ororo.

“Well look who’s here.” She murmured, her lilting Caribbean accent falling musically on Ororo’s ears. Ro liked Nurse Haley. After three surgeries, and one very nasty infection that had almost killed her father, Ororo had relied on Nurse Haley to keep her sane.

Charles smiled brilliantly at his daughter and any anger or resentment Ororo had been hoarding for the past week, simply dissipated.

“Dad!” She dropped her purse on the floor, leaned in and gave him a smacking kiss “Oh, you look so good!” He was still alarmingly thin but the old vitality that was uniquely his was back. “I’m sorry I’ve not been by this past week.”

“You don’t need to explain, my dear. I know what the beginning of the term is like.” He dismissed her apology, with a small wave. His voice had a new alien raspiness. Ororo knew it was a by product of the tubes that had been in and out of his throat for weeks. She hoped it wasn’t permanent.

Nurse Haley finished her notations and looked at the pair sternly “He is tired and needs to sleep. You, young miss, can visit a half hour, no more.” Not waiting for Ororo’s nod of consent, the nurse sailed out and closed the door quietly behind her.

“I’m thinking about hiring her when it is time for you to come home.” Ororo murmured to her father settling comfortably in the chair next to his bed. “I’ve never seen anyone keep you in line like she does.”

“Indeed not. The formidable Nurse Haley quite frightens me.”

Ororo snorted and clasped her father’s hand. He was warm and alive. No matter what he’d done, he was alive.

Thinking of the reason she’d avoided him for a week, her face sobered and she looked at her father seriously.

“Forge arrived last week.” She announced baldly, her eyes never leaving her father’s face. “Nobody knew he was coming. Emma apparently announced it in an e-mail, but I walked right in on them and got the shock of my life.”

Charles’ eyes had closed in resignation and a deep sigh gusted from his chest the minute she’d mentioned Forge’s name. His fingers tightened on hers convulsively. Ororo knew her father well enough to know that it was a form of apology.

“Dad, what were you thinking? Why did you rehire him and didn’t even warn me?” There was no anger in her voice, just bafflement…and hurt.

“Moira told me that you’d never forgive me if I let you get blindsided. I did, didn’t I? I let you get blindsided?”

“Yup, you did.”

“Oh, my dear, I am so sorry. I’d tried to tell you on several occasions. But you were struggling with Hank’s death and you were so busy with Jean’s wedding and…” He stopped abruptly and smiled humorlessly “…and I am making excuses. I was a coward.”

“Okay. I get that. You couldn’t find a way to tell me. I’m sure you would have if the accident hadn’t happened. But why Forge? Are you trying to be a matchmaker?”

One brow rose superciliously in Charles’ aristocratic face “Rest assured my dear that I am most adamantly not trying to match-make. I re-hired Forge because he is first and foremost a brilliant scientist. He is doing some exciting things in his field. He is also a popular teacher who connects well with students. He will be good for the school.”

Ro laughed bitterly “Yes, Dad. I know the old credo. You always make decisions on what is best for the school. Fine. I am an adult. I can deal with the fact that my ex-fiancé who left me on the eve our wedding is back. The glances, the whispers, the stopped conversations whenever I enter a room-- they’re all happening again. I dealt with it before. I’ll deal again.” She stood and looked down at him “I love you. I am glad you’re feeling better. I need to go.”

She turned to leave only to be stopped by his hand clasping her arm in a steely grip.

“Do you really believe that I did this with no thought to how you’d feel?” Now there was anger in his voice as well “I rehired him precisely because of what you feel.”

Staring at her father in stunned disbelief, Ororo slowly sat back down in her chair.

“What do you mean?”

“Ororo, you are my daughter.” Charles sighed “When you came into that room the day of your wedding to tell me that Forge had left and the wedding was off, my heart ached for you. I was incredibly angry on your behalf. But I did nothing, choosing instead to wait and see. I decided to follow your lead to see what the fall-out would be. For all I knew it was nothing but a momentary spat. You never disclosed the reasons behind Forge leaving so I treated it as a matter between the two of you. But he never returned and you slowly picked up the pieces of your life.”

The intensity of her father’s dark blue gaze mesmerized Ororo as did the conviction in his voice.

“A broken heart, is as nothing.” He continued “It is a part of growing up and being in love. It was your spirit I was concerned for. I am not one for going after an errant suitor with a shotgun or a horsewhip. But believe me, dear, if he had broken your spirit or your soul, Mr. Forge would have been very fortunate to find a job picking up garbage on the side of the highway. No school or science lab would have touched him if I’d but said the word.”

Tears sprang to Ororo’s eyes as she realized that her father had been looking out for her all this time. “Thanks, Daddy.” She whispered.

“You don’t love Forge any longer. You haven’t loved him for awhile. He is no threat to you.”

Ororo had to grudgingly agree. Truthfully, Forge’s presence didn’t really bother her not in that way. After she’d returned home from seeing him in Emma’s office, she and Logan had talked about her feelings for Forge.

“I remember when Jeannie and Scooter got engaged, you got a little plastered and told me that he’d hurt you more than any guy had ever hurt you. I figured you were carrying a helluva torch for the guy.” Logan had said. His voice was casual but his eyes were watchful.

It had taken a few minutes but Ororo realized that Logan had felt a bit threatened. What they’d just discovered in each other was so new, so fragile. It could easily be torn asunder.

“I don’t love him anymore Logan, if that’s what you’re getting at.” Ororo had assured him. “I haven’t in a long, long time. But I do still feel humiliation that he left me at the altar. Some feelings linger a lot longer than others.”


No, Forge hadn’t been the issue. It had been her father’s role in all of this that had caused Ororo distress.

“You’re right. I don’t love Forge, anymore. Lately I’ve begun to wonder if what he and I had would have survived the long haul.” She smiled at her father ruefully “Ok, Dad. All is forgiven. Forge can’t hurt me and you’re doing what you need to do to ensure that Xavier’s remains the best school in the country. I do understand.”

“Well, my motives aren’t entirely pure.” Charles said with a small malicious twinkle in his eyes “If I am not mistaken, Mr. Forge will quickly realize that he is not returning as a prodigal. When he left you behind to face the curious stares and whispers four years ago, he may have felt that he got off scot-free. After all he wasn’t here to face the consequences of his actions. But that is no longer true. There is a reckoning to be paid for what he did, Ororo. As he will no doubt learn. And although you no longer love him, you were still hurt by him. It is like a festering wound. This is your opportunity to cauterize it so you can completely heal.”

Ororo sat back in her chair in amazement. He was right. Forge had gotten off scot-free. He had walked out without a backward look, leaving Ororo to face the music alone, painted as a pathetic victim “ a woman scorned. By coming back, he would be forced to defend what he’d done.

“I’m sorry. I should have known you wouldn’t hurt me, Dad.”

“Good, I am happy you realize that. Now what other news is there?”

“There is no change in Moira’s condition.” Ororo said softly, sadly. It hurt to go in and see the woman who had made her father so happy for the past five years lying there as still as death and yet not.

“I know.” He said, his eyes darkening with pain “Nurse Haley kindly allowed me to visit her for the first time just yesterday. She looks so peaceful. A coma is a curious thing. They tell me she may never awaken or she may wake up tomorrow.”

She started to say more but noticed that he was beginning to droop. Realizing that her half hour was coming to a close, Ororo stood up again.

“I’m going to let you get your rest, Dad. Nurse Haley will kill me if I cause a relapse.”

Charles just chuckled. Ororo leaned down and kissed him again, promising to stop in tomorrow.

As she left, her heart and spirit felt a whole lot lighter than it had when she’s gotten there.


-:¦:-.•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-


Ororo had arrived back home and told Logan of her conversation with her father.

“See I told you you shoulda gone to see him earlier.” Logan grinned and tugged her ponytail.

The two of them were in the kitchen busily making dinner. Ray Charles was on the CD player pleading with a woman to unchain his heart. Logan was sipping from a bottle of Sam Adams dark while he chopped onions and garlic. Ororo’s own glass of chardonnay sat neglected as she carefully measured out the Arborio rice for the mushroom risotto dish they both loved.

“I know, I know. I just felt so betrayed. But it was kinda neat hearing how he’d’ve ruined Forge’s life for me.” Ororo smirked at Logan “Let that be a lesson to you. Don’t mess with Baby Girl!”

“Oh, I think I’ll mess with Baby Girl.” He growled dipping in for a quick kiss.

Ororo enthusiastically returned his kiss before breaking it off to say breathlessly “Betsy will be back tomorrow and Piotr a few days after.”

“I guess that means no more sex in the front hall?” Logan lamented.

“”Or the laundry room”

“”Or the family room.”

“”Or the dining table. I liked the dining room table, it was sturdy.”

Ororo snorted “Yeah, but my back hurt.”?

Logan laughingly gave her ass a pat as he dropped the garlic into the hot olive oil.

“So we know what Chuck was thinking’ when he lured Forge back,” Logan said after a moment of companionable silence as they continued their cooking, “But why on earth would Forge return?”

“I don’t know.” Ororo said slowly, her brow puckering with worry. She hadn’t given Forge’s motives a single thought. “But you’re right. I can’t imagine --”

Her thought was cut off by the ringing of the doorbell. Logan continued to monitor the food as she went to answer. Suddenly, Ray Charles and the Rayettes were interrupted by loud squeals coming from the front of the house.

Seconds later, Ororo swept back into the kitchen with Jean and Scott in tow.

“Look who’s back!” She trilled with a wide smile.

Jean and Scott were both tanned and glowing. With a grin, Logan strode over and gave Scott a man-hug, chiding him about being an old married man. Neither Ororo nor Scott noticed that Jean and Logan didn’t really speak to each other.

“You guys have to stay for dinner.” Ororo said, after getting Scott a beer and pouring Jean a glass of wine. The two were perched on high stools that sat around the center island where Ro and Lo were working. “We’re making my famous mushroom risotto.”

“Liberally spiked.” Logan grinned as he poured a healthy dollop of the white wine in the pan where the garlic, onions, and mushrooms were simmering in olive oil and butter.

“We were hoping to lure you guys out to get a bite, but the risotto sounds better.” Scott said. Ororo noticed that he constantly allowed his fingers to play over Jean’s hand, or her hair or her arm “ as if he needed to constantly touch her. It was sweet.

“Scott wanted to.” Jean corrected sending her husband a repressive look “I just wanted to pop my head in and see how you were. With Forge back and all.”

Ororo grimaced as she poured two more cups on hot chicken broth in the rice while continuously stirring. “I am fine. I’ve done nothing but talk about Forge for a week. I’m kinda sick of talking about Forge.”

“I don’t blame you Ro.” Scott shot her a sympathetic look “What nerve he has coming back here. Geez, what the heck was Emma thinking to hire him?”

“Emma wasn’t the culprit.” Ororo said “It was my dad. Believe it or not, Emma had never heard the sad, sordid tale of Forge and I.” Ro told them about her reaction upon seeing Forge in Emma’s office last week “I had to tell the poor woman why I ran off like that. She was appalled at her own part in this mess. But I told her the blame lies squarely at the feet of one Charles Xavier.”

“I have yet to meet the jerk.” Logan put in. “Can’t wait to meet tha asshole in tha flesh.”

“Well you’ll get to see him in a few days. Full staff meeting.” Ororo reminded him.

“Yeah, well, I have no desire to see that loser ever again.” Scott huffed angrily. “The Professor should have had the dogs run him off the property rather than invite him back to teach.”

Ororo laughed delightedly and gave Scott a big hug. “Aww, you’re sweet. Don’t worry. I had a long talk “ several long talks actually “ with my father. He and I are of a like mind about very many things. Forge is a non issue.”

“Aren’t you all being a little harsh?” Jean’s voice broke in “What if he’s here to reconcile with Ro? What if he wants to make up with you?” Jean’s green eyes rested on Ro intently “Shouldn’t you give him a second chance?”

Ororo stared at her friend as if she sprouted horns and a tail. Even Logan and Scott were staring at the red head incredulously. “He left me at the altar and I never heard from the man for four years. Why on earth would I even want Forge back?”

“Ro you didn’t date anybody after he left until Hank.” Jean pointed out reasonably “It was obvious that you were still in love with the man.”

“I was for awhile.” Ororo conceded, stirring the rice and checking the moisture level “But I wasn’t pining for four years, Jean. I didn’t really date anyone because I didn’t want to date another teacher.” Her eyes cut to Logan quickly and then back to Jean “Right now, I wouldn’t have him on a solid gold plate with a crystal apple in his mouth.”

Scott raised his beer bottle in a salute. Logan simply winked at her.

“You say that now. But have you had a chance to talk to the man? What if he wants to apologize? What if he is here to tell you he is still in love with you?” Jean’s insistence on this point was beginning to annoy Ororo. “You’re single. Why not give him a chance?’

“Jean why are you belaboring this point? Ro has said she’s not interested.” Scott was baffled. Why would Jean keep pushing Forge when she knew that Ro had admitted to having feelings for Logan. He knew that she had objections to Logan, but Ororo was her best friend. To try and push her toward a man who had done something so unthinkable as to walk out on a wedding just struck him as odd.

As if reading Scott’s mind, Logan took up the drum. “Y’know Jean, you’re Ro’s best friend. I’da thought you’d be sticking one of your famous high heels up his ass before you’d be tellin’ Ro to run after him.”

This was the first time Logan had spoken directly to Jean since she’d walked into the house. Indeed, it was the first time since the day Hank died.

“Well, Logan, as Ro’s other best friend, I’d’ve thought you’d be behind anything that guaranteed her happiness.” Jean returned in a sickly sweet tone.

“Somehow I don’t think a guy who’d walk out on his weddin’ day leaving his bride behind to explain why his sorry ass took off is a guarantee to anybody’s happiness.”

Jean made a gesture of dismissal “I don’t know why I even asked you. It doesn’t matter what you think. You have no say in Ororo’s love life.”

During the little spar of words with Jean, Logan had shifted so that he stood behind Ororo. His hand rested on her shoulder comfortingly. Feeling his solid presence behind her, Ororo speared Jean with a sharp look.

“Actually he does have a say, Jean.” Ororo said quietly as she leaned back into Logan and lifted her hand to rest on his. A small smile curved his lips as he gave her a quick kiss on the temple.

Jean’s eyes widened as she took in the pair. So stunned was she, that it took a minute for her to realize the noise she was hearing was Scott’s whoops of glee.

“Wait…what…what’s going on here?” Jean finally got her voice back, her gaze bouncing between the two of them.

“We’re a couple Jean.” Ororo said “Logan and I are together. We’re lovers now.”

Stunned speechless, Jean could only stare at the two of them.

“About time!” Scott was saying gleefully “You guys are so perfect for each other, everybody saw it but you.” He sent Ororo a sly look “I wonder how much the pool is up to by now.”

“There was a pool?” Ororo asked him surprised.

“In this place? There’s always a pool. Gotta be pretty big by now too. I think Piotr started it that first time you pretended to be Logan’s wife. What was that, about a year and a half ago.”

“Quite sudden isn’t it?” Jean burst out “I mean, Hank has only been gone for three months. And Logan, weren’t you involved with someone recently? At least Ororo thought so.”

“Jesus, Jean-- ” Scott burst out appalled.

Logan’s eyes flashed dangerously.

“I know some people would think it was quick after Hank,” Ororo’s voice contained only a hint of the hurt she felt at Jean’s words “I just didn’t think you’d be one of them.”

Jean had the grace to feel bit ashamed. Ororo had confided in Jean about her feelings for both Logan and Hank. Jean knew better than most that Ororo would never enter into an intimate relationship lightly.

“I…I’m sorry, Ro.” Jean said in a small voice “You’re right. I’m not judging you at all. I’m just surprised. I love you and don’t want you to get hurt. I honestly believe Logan will hurt you. You said yourself he was seeing someone special. I just think you should be careful.” Her eyes met Logan’s again, this time in defiance “I don’t think you’re right for her.”

None in the room could doubt the sincerity in her voice. Ororo just sighed in exasperation. She knew that Jean didn’t trust Logan but it was a little jarring to hear it said out loud and with such conviction.

For his part, Logan merely shrugged “I know Ro thought I was seeing someone special last year. She kept ridin’ me about it. The fact is, I was seein’ someone.” At his words Ro’s body tensed, Jean went utterly still and Scott perked up. Logan’s amber eyes zeroed right in on a pair of grass green ones. “But it was only for a few weeks and she was no one special.”

Jean’s face darkened and her fists clenched futilely in her lap. Asshole. Jerk. Fucker!

“I’m not surprised.” Raising her head challengingly, she tossed her hair as she stood up “We have gifts in the car. Logan come help me unload.”

Without another word she turned on her heels and went to grab her coat.

“Uh oh!” Scott chortled “She’s going to lecture you about being good to Ro. Take it like a man.”

Logan set his beer down and gave Ro a quick kiss. He could see she was looking toward the doorway where Jean had disappeared with a worried frown.

“Logan, I know she disapproves of us, but just…don’t be rude. She’s just trying to be a good friend.”

“Don’t worry, babe. I’ll straighten her out.” With that he followed in Jean’s wake.

Out at the Summers’ car, Jean had the trunk open and was busily sorting through packages.

“What tha hell was that in there?” Logan hissed furiously “What game are you playing at?”

“Me?” Jean retorted incredulously keeping her voice low, “What game am I playing at? You’ve got some nerve. You’re sleeping with Ororo after declaring your undying love for me?”

“Oh, I see. You’re married to tha love of your life. But your panties are all in a twist because I’m with Ro now? What? You don’t want me but you don’t want anybody else to have me either?”

“Don’t be stupid.” Jean whispered furiously “This isn’t about me. This is about Ro and how you’re just using her to get back at me. I just don’t want her to be hurt.”

“Bullshit!” Logan spat back “You’re a selfish bitch Jean. The only person you think about is you. Let’s get somethin’ real straight here. I don’t give a shit about you or what you think anymore. I thought for a long time I felt somethin’ for ya, but I figured out real quick I was lyin to myself.”

“Wha…what?”

“It’s like I said.” Logan was suddenly tired. He was sick of the drama. He just wanted to move forward and be happy with Ororo. “I really did think I was in love with ya, Red, but after Hank died and then Chuck’s car accident, things changed with me and Ro. I just realized that I had wasted a lot of time these past couple of years.”

“But…but what about all those things you said to me.” Jean stammered. Her heart was pounding deafeningly in her ears. She couldn’t understand why the idea of Logan not loving her was so devastating, but it was. Oh God, it was.

“I don’t want ta hurt ya, Jeannie. Let’s just leave it alone. We’ve been out here long enough as it is. You’re married. I’m with Ro. I am happy with the way things worked out. You should be too.”

“No. I want to hear it. Say it. Tell me the truth. Tell me what changed?”

“What do you want to hear, Jean? That I’m in love with Ro? Well I am. I am in love with her. I love her so damn much that it hurts me ta even think about it because it scares me. I love her so much that I haven’t even told her that I love her because I’m afraid she’s not in love with me back.” His voice had dropped so low it seemed as if he were practically speaking to himself but Jean could hear every word clear as a bell. “So you wanna hear the real truth, Jean? Well here’s truth. I know that what I felt for you wasn’t real love because it didn’t feel like this. It didn’t even begin to feel like what I feel now.”

Jean swallowed a cry as Logan’s words ate corrosively through her heart. They were all the more devastating because she could hear the absolute truth behind them. Some part of her, some deep hidden part of her mourned.

“I see.” Was all she could manage.

“Jean, I did care for ya. It just wasn’t real. Not like this.” The compassion in Logan’s voice nearly undid her. “You’re with Scott. He’s yer husband. This…thing we did. What we had. It was a crazy thing. You and me should be grateful it is over and we never got caught and nobody’s gonna get hurt. We need to bury it Jean. Bury it deep. Or Ro and Scott will figure it out. And neither one of us wants that to happen. Do we?”

Jean closed her eyes in resignation. It was kinda funny really. She had been the one who had initiated the affair. She had been the one who had sought to keep it purely physical. And yet, she was the one who was finding it hard to let go. Logan was making so much sense. It was strange. She had resented him, wanted him, hated him and hungered for him. But she had never respected him. Not like she did at this very moment.

Slowly she raised her tear drenched eyes to his.

“I-I’m glad you and Ro found each other. Scott’s right, you two are right for each other. I’ve always seen it but never wanted to admit it. And you’re right. We need to bury what we did. But before we do, Logan. I just need to tell you that it wasn’t just sex. I “ I cared for you too.”

The two ex lovers smiled poignantly at each other. They’d made their peace and closed a dangerous chapter in their past.

Breaking the moment, Jean briskly pulled several gaily wrapped packages out of the car.

“Here, make yourself useful.” She thrust two of the bigger ones at Logan “We bought out half the continent.”

With a laugh, Logan juggled the packages and followed her back up the path toward the front door.

Before they opened it, Jean turned to Logan for the last time.

“For what it’s worth Logan, I think you ought to tell Ro how you feel. You might be pleasantly surprised by her response.” With one last smile, she thrust opened the door and walked into the house that was redolent with the heavenly smells of olives, garlic, wine and friendship.





You must login () to review.