The victim was lying motionless on the floor, his arms and legs splayed in unnatural angles.

The rescuer crouched down next to the victim and bent over to listen for breathing. Finding none, she tipped his head back and started mouth-to-mouth, giving him three quick breaths.

“Stop!” Barked Logan irritated and turned to the watching class.

Behind his back, the victim quickly raised his head and gave his rescuer a quick kiss which she enthusiastically returned.

“Okay, what was wrong with what you just saw?” His brown eyes flicked around the faces looking for a quick response.

As usual, Jubilee’s and Kitty’s hands flew in the air first.

“Jubes?” Logan prompted.

“Is the victim really in distress if he gives his rescuer a kiss?” She asked archly. “Cuz somehow I think if he dialed 911 and isn’t even in danger that that is a waste of taxpayer money and city resources.”

The class burst out laughing as Logan whipped his head around to see Bobby and Marie looking sheepish.

“Cut it out!” He snapped at the two. This was his third and final review session for CPR and first aid portion of the final and the students were proving to be woefully unprepared, forgetting the most basic steps. “If you can’t be serious then I suggest you leave now and don’t waste my time.”

Laughter abruptly cut off as the class grew dead silent. Bobby’s jaw dropped in shocked dismay while Marie’s face went beet red in embarrassment.

“Marie did you review the notes? Did you watch the video? Did you do anything to prepare for today?” Logan’s voice was cutting.

Marie mumbled something incoherently.

“So, again, I ask what was wrong with what you just saw?”

This time only Kitty’s hand went up. Jubilee had sunk down in her seat, her face a study of contrition as she tried to send Marie a look of silent apology.

“Mar--, I mean, the rescuer neglected to tip the victim’s head back to check for an unobstructed airway before commencing breathing.” Kitty’s voice was subdued.

Logan nodded encouragingly, silently urging her to continue.

“Er, the rescuer gave three quick breaths and did not check to see the chest rise to make sure the breath was filling the lungs properly.”

“Good.” Logan motioned to Marie. “Take your seat Marie. Kitty go and demonstrate for us please.”

Not looking right or left, Kitty went and crouched next to Bobby and followed the proper technique.

Logan watched the pair on the floor while silently berating himself. He was letting his personal problems interfere with his work. Normally, he’d have taken the fact that the students were struggling with the CPR with a grain of salt. It was the very last unit they’d covered and with the disruption that Hank’s death had caused in the school, they’d had very little time to prepare as they should.

Marie was a sweet girl and Logan had taken a liking to her. She and Jubes were the best of friends and she’d taken to his self defense classes like a duck to water. He sincerely regretted calling her out on her lack of preparedness in front of the class, especially since he knew that she wasn’t the only one and she’d been struggling in her classes lately.

Logan absently rubbed at his temples where a headache was just beginning to form. Maybe he’d have Ro schedule something with Marie to see if she could figure out what was going on with the girl.

Well that didn’t take long, bub. He thought to himself. Lately, every other thought was about Ro. And they were decidedly un-best friendlike. Since the night at Red Jack’s, Logan found himself looking at her differently. Wondering how she’d be as a lover? Or what it would be like to come home and just kiss her as if he had a perfect right to. But then he’d remind himself that Ro was his friend who was still mourning her boyfriend’s death.

And besides, he told himself for the fortieth time this week, he was in love with Jean. Jean, who was shortly to become a married woman. As usual, whenever he allowed thoughts of Jean to crowd his mind, his belly churned unpleasantly. A miasma of feelings bubbled to the surface: guilt, shame, and rage. Mostly rage. His anger was a living thing fed by the picture of her face as she told him she had no intention of calling off her wedding.

Fuckin’ Christ! Logan snarled inside. He needed to get off this mental merry-go-round. He needed to get on his bike and ride like the hounds of hell were nipping at his heels. That’s what he needed. That and a good, long, hard fuck. An inner voice whispered seductively. A quick mental image of Ororo’s long chocolate colored legs wrapped around his neck skittered across his mind before he ruthlessly quashed it.

Kitty was in the middle of doing her fourth rotation of breaths and chest compressions when Logan called a halt and motioned the two students back to their seats.

“Look, I’m in a pisser of a mood. So I’m lettin’ ya out early.” There was a collective sigh of relief at his words “Study the chapter and watch the video. This is worth thirty percent of yer final.”

The students scrambled out of the classroom and scattered in the halls. Outside in the corridor, Jubilee was apologizing profusely to Bobby and Marie.

“My big mouth!” she moaned “I was trying to be funny and got you two reamed out. I’m sorry.”

Bobby shook his head “What was up with Mr. Howlett today? I know he’s a supreme bad ass, but he’s always been pretty cool with us. But today “ sheesh”I felt like a bug pinned to a piece of board. I almost peed my pants.”

Marie just remained quiet, a look of resentment and embarrassment showing clearly on her face.

Jubilee looked at the pair sympathetically “He’s been moody all week. I just think everybody will be happy when this term is over. It’s been so stressful and we’ve been cooped up here, not able to leave the grounds because of that crazy nut still on the loose. I miss the Mall!”

“Oh, that’s right,” Bobby snapped his fingers “Are they going to let us know today whether or not we can go to the Mall this weekend?”

“Yeah, there’s a meeting at four o’clock” Kitty’s voice reached them before she did.

Marie roused out of her state of embarrassment long enough to throw a scathing look at the pretty brunette.

“Well, aren’t you just the little Miss Fountain of Information.”

Taken aback at the venom in her voice, the other three looked at her in surprise.

“Marie, I’m sorry” Kitty said slowly, not sure why Marie was so mad at her. Truthfully, Kitty was no longer sure about anything when it came to Marie. The two used to be pretty good friends, but Marie had been acting very stand-offish lately. And now this. “I didn’t know Mr. Howlett was going to be so….”

“Ass-holey?” Jubilee supplied. “Look, it’s not Kitty’s fault none of us studied and she did.”

“I only know because I used to be a lifeguard and we had to know that stuff.” Kitty put in quickly.

“Well so was Monet but I didn’t see her knocking over the chairs in an effort to give Bobby mouth to mouth.” Marie shot back, unappeased.

There was an uncomfortable silence where Bobby’s face flamed red and Kitty’s eyes widened in shock.

“You think I am after your boyfriend?” Kitty’s voice was an undignified squeak.

“Well I don’t think it is a mistake that every time I turn around, you’re with him.” Marie said, shooting her mute boyfriend a look.

“We’re not always together. But when we are it is because Mr. Summers made us computer lab partners.” Kitty also turned Bobby “Would you please explain to your girlfriend I am not after your body?”

“C’mon Marie,” Bobby began not meeting Kitty’s eyes “Why are you being like this?”

Ouch!, Jubilee thought , Wrong move bone head.

“And what am I being like Bobby?” Marie asked softly, her southern belle drawl suddenly sounded very menacing.

With an exasperated sigh, Bobby looked at Kitty “Hey I’m sorry she’s acting this way.”

“Oh so now you’re apologizing for me?” Marie’s outrage was a living thing.

Danger! Danger! Will Robinson. Jubilee moaned inwardly.

Before he could answer, Kitty threw up her hands “You know what? This sounds like a conversation you two need to have and it has nothing to do with me. I’m outta here. If you want to know what they decided about us going to the Mall, the meeting is in the main assembly hall.”

With that she turned and walked smartly off.

Jubilee looked desperately at her bare wrist “Oh, ah…hey, look at the time. I got a …thing.” And she prudently made her escape as well and ran off in the opposite direction.

The two lovers stood in the now deserted hall staring at each other.

“You like her.” Marie finally said.

“That’s ridiculous,” Bobby scoffed a little too loudly. A little too quickly. “She annoys the crap out of me. You said it yourself, she’s a little Miss know-it-all.”

But Marie was shaking her head, “I see you looking at her sometimes.”

Bobby scoffed again. This time a little too weakly.

“I thought because we --- ” Marie’s voice hitched in pain “finally made love that it’d be great with us. But instead you seem less interested.”

“Look, that’s not true.” Bobby drew her into his arms and gave her a slow, sweet kiss “You’re the one I want. I don’t give Kitty a second thought. I spend time with her because I have to. I spend time with you because I want to.”

Marie slowly relaxed in his arms, allowing her own arms to wind around him tightly. Above her head, Bobby stared off into the distance, in the direction where Kitty disappeared.

-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

A few hours later.

“Knock, Knock!” Jean poked her head into Ororo’s office to see if it was occupied. Seeing her friend at her desk, Jean stepped through and closed the door behind her.

Ororo, glancing up from the e-mail message she was reading, smiled in real pleasure at seeing her best girlfriend.

“Hey, Junebug,” Ororo greeted her friend using a nickname Jean had despised since they were in the ninth grade together. “So how did it go?”

Jean allowed herself to flop wearily into the chair next to Ro’s desk and eased off her a pair of her signature stilettos. Ro noticed they were the Christian Louboutin slingbacks Jean ordered last month. She drooled a little.

“We decided to allow a chaperoned trip to the Mall this Friday.” She said soberly. Thank goodness Scott and Piotr volunteered to be the chaperones. Jean didn’t think she’d be able to step inside that Mall for a very long time.

Ro simply nodded. “It is necessary Jean. We can’t keep the kids cooped up here too much longer. It’s too close to Christmas. They need to get out and feel some normalcy again. I know Dad had some long discussions with the police. Mall security is extremely tight, especially since it is the holiday season.”

Sympathetically Jean reached over and clasped one of Ro’s hands in her own “God, Ororo, I can’t imagine how you are holding up under all of this. I’d be bent double with the grief.”

Other than Logan and her father, Jean was the only person Ro had told about the ring.

“I’m holding up because I must.” Ro shrugged “I am mourning Hank still, but I can’t let grief and guilt cripple me. I did bend, but by God, I won’t break”

“Yes, yes. I get it. ‘Ororo: Strong Like Bull.’” Jean thumped her chest “But promise me you won’t internalize all of this.” Jean’s grass green eyes were concerned as they looked over her friend’s strained features “Make sure you talk to someone. Please? I’m here and so is your dad and Moira. God, even Logan if you must.”

Ororo’s eyes shifted from Jean and her expression changed imperceptibly. The only reason Jean noticed the slight difference was because she’d known this woman for years.

“What?” Jean’s eyes zeroed onto Ororo like a laser. “What did Logan do?”

“Nothing…” Ororo’s voice was hesitant “Except, well, he’s being strange.”

“Strange how?” Jean suddenly stilled, her own expression becoming watchful.

Ororo shrugged, her shoulders delicate under the fine silk of her blouse “Just…strange. He’s more affectionate. He’s, I dunno…..touchy.

“Touchy? Like pissed off?”

“That too,” Ororo said wryly “But I meant he touches me a lot lately. The other day I was standing on a foot stool reaching for a big bowl from the very top of the cabinet and he came behind me and held me steady.”

“The Pervert!” Jean whispered in shocked tones, her body relaxed back in her chair once again.

Ororo flipped a paper clip at her friend “Shut up. No seriously, He didn’t just hold the chair steady or gripped my arm or something. He came up behind me and ran his hand up the side of my legs and held my waist. It was like a caress almost. And then yesterday I was just standing in the front hall of our place flipping through the mail when he ran a finger up the nape of my neck. He’s never done that before. He’s pulled my pony tail or given me a noogie. But this…this was different.”

Jean was silent for a moment before asking slowly “Do you think he’s starting to develop more than friendly feelings for you?”

Ororo’s shoulders lifted in the classic I-don’t-know gesture. She then told Jean about the incident in Red Jack’s. “It just seemed so different from our normal little Ro and Lo thing we do.”

“Ro…” Jean began delicately “How do you feel about Logan? I mean, I’m getting the impression that you may actually welcome something more from him? Am I reading the signals wrong?”

Their relationship was such that Ororo didn’t even contemplate prevaricating.

“No.” Ororo said quietly yet firmly. “You’re not reading the signals wrong. I wouldn’t object to something more with Logan. As a matter of fact, I’ve been attracted to him for some time.”

Jean’s eyes were wide with shock and her expression so horrified that Ororo couldn’t help but break out in helpless giggles.

“God, Jean, if you could just see your face.” Ororo burbled. “Look, I know that you’ve always thought he was a bit of a Neanderthal, but he’s sweet. And even you have to admit Logan is hella sexy.”

Jean’s answering smile was a bit sickly. Seeing it set Ororo off in peels of laughter again. God, it felt good to laugh again.

A knock on her door interrupted her amusement.

Bidding the person enter, she turned to see who it was as Jean took a moment to slide her shoes back on.

“Miss Munroe?” It was Artie, the short, self effacing youngster seemed a bit agitated.

“Yes, Artie?” Ororo’s amusement was still palpable.

“Ah, ma’am, there are a couple of police officers here asking to see you.”

Sharing a startled glance, the two women quickly exited the office, following Artie toward the main floor public rooms.

A knot of students were hovering around the main hall, their curiosity about the police was palpable.

Briskly dismissing the students, Ororo and Jean joined the two blue clad officers in the main lounge, closing the double pocket doors behind them. One was a male, tall and bluff looking with a shock of blonde hair and a ruddy complexion. His partner was a smaller Hispanic woman. Her dark eyes watchful as she hung back a little.

“I’m Ororo Munroe.” Ororo’s face was serene, easily masking the knot of apprehension that settled like a brick on her chest.

The male officer moved forward “Miss Munroe, I’m Officer Dale. I’m here because you are listed as next-of-kin to Mr. Charles Xavier?”

Ororo’s gasp was echoed by Jean’s louder one and she felt her knees buckle slightly. Seeing her distress, the female officer moved stepped from behind her bigger partner and reached to steady Ororo.

“Miss Munroe, I am officer Ortiz” She began in a slightly accented voice “Mr. Xavier and his wife were in a car accident.” She cast her partner a reproving look “They are alive and have been taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital.”

“Alive..?” Ororo latched onto that word like a lifeline. Blindly she reached for Jean, who gripped Ororo’s shoulder in a comforting squeeze. “Are they okay? What happened?”

“We don’t know their exact status, ma’am, only that they were still alive when they were extracted from the vehicle and transported to the hospital.”

“But what happened?” Jean asked frustration warring with fear in her voice.

“An eyewitness to the accident reported that the driver appeared to lose control of the vehicle on a patch of black ice. I’m afraid those are the only details we have at this time.” Officer Ortiz’s words were final. Ororo and Jean could ask more, but it was obvious she had said all she was planning to say.

Squeezing Ororo’s shoulder once more reassuringly, Jean walked over to the desk where she picked up the phone and spoke briskly into the receiver for a moment.

“You are welcome to accompany us, ma’am or we can escort you as you drive your own vehicle.” This time it was Officer Dale who spoke. He’d recovered from his earlier faux pas.

Before Ororo could gather her thought to fashion answer, Jean stepped back over to them.

“We’ll be happy to accept your escort.” She said taking charge because for once, Ororo seemed incapable. Turning to Ororo she gave her an encouraging smile “I called Scott. And told him to find Logan and get here ASAP.”

Ororo was profoundly grateful Jean was there because she was too frozen to move. Her mind had stuttered to a complete stop at the words “next of kin.” She had seen Hank buried just a scant six weeks ago. The thought --- the very idea --- of her father and Moira dead was too much to comprehend.

If I can no longer bend, Ororo thought somewhat desperately as the officers arranged with Jean to await them out front, do I break?





You must login () to review.