Logan begins to pace in the Head Office with the envelop still in his hands and is spitting mad. As he crosses the roaring fire again, he stops, contemplating whether or not to throw the letter in. He unleashes a short claw to open the letter, and suddenly stops again. He rereads the envelop.

Logan: Wait a minute. [looks intently at the letter] This is addressed to…

He looks out the window, which has an excellent view of the Gardens, and put the letter back as he watched Ororo sleep fitfully. He leaves hoping that she will talk about the letter when she has the chance.

Logan: Don’t worry about it, bub.

He walks out thinking to himself, that he could trust her to open up, only to realize that he didn’t know her enough to know if she would approach someone else about this first. Thinking about how he finally saw her react to the deaths. It had only taken her two years to grieve. Before he could ponder her reasons for delaying her natural reactions to the grief, he could her shuffling and banging noises above him.

~Upstairs in the Girl’s Hall~

Rogue throws her suitcase on the wall carelessly, opens it up and begins to empty it. Realizing how much noise she was making she looks up at the top bunk to make sure that she wasn’t waking up her roommate, Jubilee.

She stood on her toes to peer in the upper bunk only to see that her roomie wasn’t there. Not bothering to worry about her partying again, she continued with her stuff when she heard a knock at the door.

Marie: Alright, alright. Hold yer horses.

Logan: Common, Jubes. You know the rules. School nights mean lights out at eleven.

Marie: [opens the door swiftly] Guess again, shoog.

Logan: [Surprised and taken back] Maire, what in the world. I thought you left for good. What…what are you doing back?

Maire: What? I ain’t welcomed anymore? [She smiles and winks.]

Logan: Common, kiddo. You know that ain’t the deal. I thought you were happy with the choice you made to move on.

Marie: I was but something happened, Logan.

Logan: Kid?

Marie: [Turns around to pace in her room and makes a silent invitation for him to come in] I was on the train headed from Baton Rouge to Nashville and everything was fine. Then I felt it.

Logan: What?

Marie: All those memories of everybody I touched the last two years just came floodin’ back. You, Magneto, Bobby, Pyro, Peter…All of a sudden too. It was so strange. Some of the memories merged and it was all confusing. Like I only briefly touched Bobby, and I specifically remember what memories I took. On the train, more came back. Much more.

Logan: What are you saying?

Marie: When I took the cure, all of that went away. But like, all of a sudden, I’m eatin’ peanuts ignoring this guy making dreamy eyes at me then, WHAM, all these visions come back. My skin is feeling all bubbly, and it itches. Next thing I know I’m on the floor in the aisle. People all hovering over me, and Dreamy Eyes is inches away about to do some CPR. I push him away, and it starts.

Logan: Oh god.

Marie: Yea, I get his life in me. I see parties and boobs at Mardi Gras, wallets, cops, dark alleys, and all kinds of crazy stuff. Then I see flashes of Magneto too.

Logan sits down on her desk chair and looks at her intently.

Marie: I had never been so scared in a long time. I let go. I don’t know what was goin’ on. When I came to totally, I went and hugged my self in a corner seat. Someone brought me tea, and when I went to get it, the dang thing exploded.

Logan: You think Mags sent him after you?

Marie: Why? He ain’t go no reason to come after any more. I mean what good would it do for him?

Logan: I don’t think it has anything to do with that. I mean, you took the cure on your own and it was forced on him. Maybe it’s some kind of twisted revenge.

Marie: [Contemplates this idea, then shakes her head] I doubt that’s the case. He isn’t the kind for petty revenge like that. When he does something, he will always go big.

Logan: [snorts with laughter] You sure about that, Kid?

Marie: [Turns to look at him with low eyes and simply taps her head.] I still think I should tell Ms. Munroe.

Logan: Well, keep your self bundled up and wait on that for a bit. When I saw her tonight she needed some down time. First thing in the mornin’ though, you talk to her. Get some sleep now.

Marie: Alright, and Logan…

Logan: Hmm?

Marie: Thanks.

Logan: No problem Kid. Oh, by they way, where the hell is Ju-Ju?

Marie: [Shrugs and does a pitiful job of showing her lack of knowledge on the subject] I dunno.

Logan: You don’t actually know, or is that girlspeak for she’s at Harry’s.

Marie yawned and shooed him at to get dressed.

Marie: Class tomorrow. Night Logan.

Logan head back to his own room and opens up a beer can. Leaning back against his head board and reached into his pocket. In his hands is a gold wedding band he twirls around. He held it up to the light coming through his window and looks at the inscription inside. It looked as if it was scratched, but it was in a specific pattern. On the top side of the ring was also lightly engraved with a light pattern of blossoms with intricate petals.

Logan: [peering at the ring closely] Sakura? [He wipes his face.] Dammit all. [snarled] I hate this. [He closes his hand around the ring and is about to throw it across the room, but changes his mind.]

He makes a note to himself to get the inscription translated. With that thought he tries to go to sleep with the approaching dawn, with far too much on his mind.

~ Very early the next morning~

Ororo struggles to wake up. She scratches her nose only to rub dirt on it. The sun directly above her forces her eyes open, and she sits up completely bewildered.

Ororo: What in the world? [She looks down at herself and stands up abruptly, still unsure about how she got here. The jacket around her shoulders is also very foreign to her.]

Not bothering to stand outside to ponder it, she sniffs her pits and decided to clean up then start the day. Before heading to shower, she empties her pocket and leaves her cell phone on her vanity, without checking to see who that missed call was. When finished, she leaves in a rush, this time completely forgetting the phone.

In her office she sits at her desk, frowning at the scoff marks on her desk and groaning at all the disorganized paperwork on her desk. She looks longingly at the brandy carafe, then at the clock. It wasn’t even eight thirty, yet. After a deep sigh, she begins to slowly finger threw the mail and stops when she comes to a letter addressed to her in writing she hadn’t seen since she was a teenager.

Ororo: Magnus? What is going on?

She open’s the letter and reads.

Dear Windrider:
I know that it was difficult for you to open this, so I would like to thank you first for letting by gones be what they are.
I am unsure if you knew that I wrote Charles on a regular basis. But if I recall correctly, he always confided in you, and knowing you as I do, I do not believe his confidence in you was ever misplaced.
I hear that the mansion is still standing, and the children are happy. I also know that you must have your hands full, but I fear that I must ask you for a favor. I am usually able to contact Wanda on a regular basis, and lately I have not. I fear something is wrong, and since I do not have the resources I used to, I was wondering if you could tell her to contact me. I would appreciate any help in this matter that you can spare.
Thank you again, and good luck in your future endeavors.

E. Lensherr

P.S. There is also another pressing issue I must speak with you about as soon as possible. I would rather not write about it, so if you find a way to contact me. I cannot risk another correspondence.

Ororo: Great, just bloody great.

She turns to role her eyes at the approaching her open door.

Ororo: Dammit Logan, it’s not even nine yet. What is it?

Logan walks in with his hands in his jeans, and calmly takes a sit on the couch.

Logan: So, watcha got there?

She hands over the letter without a second thought, which is promptly read.

Logan: Who’s Windrider?

She glares at him.

Logan: What do you plan on doin’ about this, bosslady?

She walks over to the window sighs and rubs her forehead.

Ororo: My original plan was to muse over with a martini as a referee.

Logan stand up to next to her and smirks. He noticed when her arrived that the brandy was half empty, and his boss still smelled faintly of top shelf vodka. His brow wrinkled at that. He was sure that his nose was the only one that could smell it, and he still didn’t like that.

Ororo: You do know that we have to help him.

Logan: For cryin’ out loud, I knew you were going to say that.

Ororo: I want to keep this to ourselves for now. This may escalate and I don’t want a panic.

He nodded.

Logan: We may need all the trained students ready.

Before she could answer, there was another knock on the door, even though it was open.

Ororo: Come in.

Peter: Ms. Monroe? I need a favor.

Ororo: Sure Peter. Name it.

Logan squints, already not liking where this was going.

Peter: My sister is in the States, now. Not to far away, actually.

Ororo: Wow, you must be excited. Is she any better?

Peter: Not really, she’s still undiagnosed. But she is staying at St. Jude’s outpatient facility. [Looks down and pauses.] I was wondering if I could get two weeks off to stay with her, at least during these first few tests.

Ororo looks past him and narrows her eyes at Logan who is vigorously shaking his head no, and waving Eric’s letter. She looks back at Peter and smiles.

Ororo: Of course Peter. Take the month off. Both of you could use it.

He flashed her a brilliant smile as he bounced from the room.

Logan: You purposely ignored every word I said, didn’t you?





You must login () to review.