Prologue…

The room they led her to was a dank dark green. Three other girls were already inside. Two she noticed were in a corner whispering, the third was in the opposite corner staring out of the window. 10year-old Jean Grey twirled a lock of fire red hair around her finger. She wondered if any of the girls would want to be her friend. The girl at the window looked lonely; maybe she would be her friend. Jean gathered her courage an approached her. The first thing she noticed was that her potential friend had long snow-white hair, and smooth caramel skin. Hesitantly Jean went over to her. “Hi…my names Jean Grey, but most everyone calls me Jeanie. What’s your name?” she said. The girls turned towards her, and Jean noticed she had sapphire blue eyes. After a moment of silent regard, the other girl answered. “My name is Ororo Munroe.”

Her new friends musical accent fascinated Jean. “I love the way you talk, where are you from?” she asked. A small smile graced Ororo’s lips. “I am from Kenya. Tell me something…do you always ask so many questions?” asked Ororo. “Yes. My mother…”tears filled Jean’s eyes as she spoke of her mother. She cleared her throat and spoke again. “My mother called me her little chatterbox,” she said. Ororo regarded Jean, noticing the tears. “Do you wish to talk about it?” asked Ororo. “No…thanks for asking” hiccupped Jean. “Well Jeanie do you wish to look out of the window with me?” asked Ororo. Jean glowed with pleasure. “That would be great Ro,” said Jean. Ororo raised a brow at the pet name, but said nothing.

Ororo had seen girls like Jean before, scared and helpless. She sighed and wondered how long she would last. A few minuets passed in silence, before Jean started again.
“How old are you Ro, how long have you been here?” she asked. With a sigh Ororo answered. “ I am 10 years old, and I have been here for three years.” Jean’s jade green eyes widened in surprise. “Do you wan to be my friend Ro?” she asked eyed wide with hopeful sadness. Ororo smiled softly, this little one needed her protection, especially in this place. “I would like to be your friend Jeanie” Jean’s returning smile nearly blinded her. Just then the other two occupants of the room came over to them. “Hey who’s the newbie?” taunted Amanda, the oldest of the group. Ororo stood to her full height, making her the tallest person in the room. “She’s my friend,” answered Ro. “Yeah a friend of a freak” spat Chelsea, Amanda’s sidekick. Jean’s eyes widened and she leapt to her feet.

“Ro is not a freak, you witch!” she cried. Ororo was surprised by her defense. “Who are you calling a witch, CARROT TOP!” yelled Amanda. “Who are you calling carrot top, you COW!” cried Ororo. The four girls stood glaring at each other, eyes blazing. That was how Ms. Thomas, the social worker found them. “GIRLS!! How can you expect to be adopted if all you do is fight” she scolded them. “No one would adopt that freak anyway” smirked Chelsea. Ororo didn’t allow the tears that welled up in her eyes to fall. It was one of her worst fears; that she would be forgotten here, never adopted, because of her odd looks. “We’ll get out of here before you do!!” exclaimed Jean. Ororo smiled at her new friend. Mrs. Thomas just sighed and shook her head. So goes another day at Westchester Orphanage.



Okay people this is just the beginning. What do you think so far??? READ AND REVIEW…PLEASE (See I can be polite)





You must login () to review.