Chapter 6 – Bittersweet Truffles


Ororo wasn’t sure if she should take Marie and Jubilee volunteering to do the dishes after dinner as a good sign or not. They usually did everything in their power to get out of dish duty. The sugar-coated smiles and attempts at reassuring innocence were more than enough to make Ororo suspicious. She was sure they knew something about what Logan was up to. Although she wasn’t sure what was going on or if she even wanted to know, she at least owed him a thank you for getting them to willingly clean. That is, if their whispers and hushed giggles didn’t get to her first. Pursing her lips and cutting a glance back at the giggling duo; she left the kitchen and headed to her room to change her clothes. Maybe she would run into Logan on the way and he would give her some sort of idea about his plans for the evening. She highly doubted he would do any such thing, but a little wishful thinking never hurt anyone.

No such luck. She made it to her room without seeing anyone, not even one of the students running through the halls. She hadn’t seen Logan since their run in earlier in the day and he hadn’t given her the tiniest of hints of what to expect tonight. She could only hope that he would not provide anymore ideas for her dreams. What more could he taunt her with?

“No, don’t start thinking about that,” Ororo mumbled to herself heading toward the back doors leading to the backyard. If she allowed her overactive imagination to consider new ideas, she was sure it would come up with something. Ororo shook her head as if it would shoo away any forming ideas. Instead she tried to think of some – clean – activities Logan could have come up with for the evening. She was having trouble coming up with anything but hoped the Xavier School tracksuit and comfortable tennis shoes she had changed into would be suitable for the evening.

As she walked through the grass to her greenhouse she continued to try and figure out what he could be planning and why he was being so secretive about it. Although, she couldn’t be sure he was really being secretive, she hadn’t been able to even attempt to ask what his plans were. She shook her head again, deciding to just wait and see.

The scent of cigar smoke reached her nose and she looked up to see Logan leaning against one of the trees beside the greenhouse, his Stetson pulled down low over his face. Ororo paused watching the clouds of smoke swirled away from his lips, drifting up into the branches. He lifted his head slightly, turning to look in her direction. Plucking the cigar from his mouth, he shot her a grin.

“No blindfolds today, ‘Ro.”

“I’m glad to hear that.” She ignored his chuckle, and walked over to him.

“Not sure how much I believe that darlin’,” He replied, stubbing out his cigar. “Ready ta go?”

“Where are we going?”

“Ta the garage,” Logan replied simply, moving away from the tree and starting off.

Ororo rolled her eyes, but followed, “And once we reach the garage, what will we be doing?”

“Dunno, thought we could go fer a little ride if yer up fer it,” he glanced back over his shoulder, sending her a wink.

Refusing to give what he said anymore thought than necessary, Ororo nodded determined to keep her thoughts clean.

Once they reached the garage, Ororo saw that Logan had moved his motorcycle to the front and that a shiny black helmet had been placed on the seat. She knew Logan didn’t need a helmet, but she couldn’t bring herself to even consider it was for her. There was no way she was going to get on the back of that motorcycle.

Ororo was too busy distracted helmet to notice that Logan was staring at her. “Yer not scared are ya, ‘Ro?”

She crossed her arms, “No Logan, I am not afraid of riding a motorcycle. However, I do not see why we cannot take one of the cars instead.”

“Hmph, ya sound chicken ta me. The Wind-rider can’t handle it?” She frowned, glancing back at the bike. She knew she’d have to deal with his taunting for weeks if she refused. With a sigh, she reached for the helmet.

“Wait a sec,” Ororo looked over to see him shrugging out of his leather jacket. “That ain’t going to do much good,” He said handing it to her. He watched as she slipped out of the tracksuit jacket and into the worn leather. It was too big for her, but he had to admit it looked good on her.

Real good.

Ororo had said thank you while putting on Logan’s jacket and then picked up the helmet, almost expecting him to make a joke about how ridiculous she must look in the too big coat, but the look he was giving her suggested he didn’t think she looked ridiculous at all. She cleared her throat, chuckling to herself.

“Did you change your mind?” She asked.

“Not sure ya wanna hear my other ideas darlin’,” he replied grinning at her. Ororo shook her head, grabbing her jacket and going to hang it up by the garage door. As she did this she heard the roar of the bike starting. She turned and took a deep breath.

“Too late to back out now, ‘Ro,” Logan said from his seat on the bike. Frowning slightly, she walked over and climbed onto the back of the motorcycle putting as much space between her and Logan as possible. Ororo slipped on the helmet and hesitantly put her hands on Logan’s sides.

She felt more than heard his chuckle.

“Ain’t gonna do much good holdin’ on like that,” Logan said, grabbing her arms and wrapping them around his waist, pulling her closer behind him. “Now hang on tight darlin’.”

They were off before Ororo could even attempt to rearrange herself on the seat. She tried to focus on the roar of the engine or the slight bumps in the road, but as the first turn Logan made forced her to tighten her grip she found it difficult to think of anything but the feel of him underneath her hands. She was barely fighting back the urge to run her hands along his stomach.

As Ororo relaxed, Logan felt her fit herself against his back and her thighs shift against his. He glanced down at her hands pressed against his stomach and slowed the bike down slightly before returning his attention to the road. He could’ve easily gone way above the speed limit down the back roads he was taking like he usually would, but he didn’t see the harm in extending the ride. ‘Ro wasn’t complaining and he’d be lying if he said he wasn’t enjoying her being so close.

Eventually, Logan turned down what was little more than dirt path just off the road. He felt Ororo shifting behind him and assumed she was looking around even though there was much to see other than the trees on either side of the pathway. Soon he stopped the motorcycle, much to Ororo’s confusion.

“You can let go now ‘Ro,” Logan said with a chuckle.

Almost reluctantly, Ororo let go and climbed off the bike. As Logan nudged the kickstand into place, she removed the helmet and shook out her hair with her free hand not noticing Logan’s eyes on her.

“Where are we going?” Ororo asked after Logan got off of the bike.

“That way,” He replied pointing further down the path. She frowned, putting the helmet on the bike seat and ignoring the smirk he sent her way.

They walked down the path in silence, Ororo looking around her, while Logan stared straight ahead. She jumped slightly when he took her hand.

A slight breeze brought the smell of fresh water through the trees as Ororo caught glimpses of shimmering blue between the trunks and branches. A few more steps took them through the tree line and to the bank of a wide lake. It spread out before them like in a slanted ‘S’ with the remaining sunlight tinting the blue surface red gold. Trees surround the banks, leaving only a thin strip of grass littered with rocks and fallen trees as a border.

With a slight tug on her hand, Logan led her over to a nearby fallen log and took a seat, Ororo followed suit.

“How did you find this place?” Ororo asked quietly, glancing over at Logan who shrugged.

“Just happened ta come across it one day.”

Ororo nodded and turned back in time to see a hawk soar by before disappearing into the tree tops. They were silent for a moment, simply watching the gradual changes come over the scene as the day faded into twilight.

“Thank you for bringing me here, Logan.”

“You needed ta get away from the mansion for a while. Seems like yer always locked up in that office or runnin’ off ta some class or another. I didn’t want ya ta turn into Summers.”

Ororo looked down at the rocks by her feet, a sad smile forming on her lips. “There is just so much to be done and Charles
”

“Chuck wouldn’t want ya workin’ yerself to death. Ya don’t need ta do everythin’ by yerself.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Ororo sighed, looking up into the darkening sky. “Logan?”

“Yeah, ‘Ro?”

“Why did you stay?”

“Did ya want me ta go?”

“No, but after all the
 arrangements were finished I would have thought you would want to go off on your own. I do not mean that I am not grateful that you stayed, I’m just curious.”

“I wasn’t gonna leave ya to deal with all that alone. With Hank runnin’ back and forth to Washington an’ all those anti-mutant groups springin’ up
 I couldn’t leave like that, darlin’.”

“And now?”

Logan looked over at Ororo who was still gazing skyward. Feeling his eyes on her, she turned, meeting his eyes. He reached forward, brushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear and cupping her cheek.

“I can think of a few reasons ta stick around,” he replied, leaning close. He inhaled her scent, now mixed with his, as she leaned closer. “Unless ya want me ta go.”

“No, I don’t,” Ororo whispered.

“Good,” Logan said before pressing his lips to hers.

The kiss was nothing like she’d imagined. Instead of rough and demanding it was gentle and almost testing. It was surprising, but she didn’t hide her disappointment when he pulled away a few moments later. He laughed quietly, placing his Stetson on her head.

“Looks good on ya, darlin’,” Logan said, before pulling her in for another kiss.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Logan woke early the next morning, planning to fit in a quick danger room work out before preparing for the surprise outing he had planned for his class. It was his version of a pop quiz. He hoped his students had been paying attention – for their sake’s.

As he neared Ororo’s office, he noticed that the door was cracked open. He didn’t think she’d be in her office this early on Saturday, but he wasn’t that surprised. As he took another step towards the door he caught a scent he didn’t recognize. Frowning, he pushed open the door with one hand, extending his claws on the other. The back of Ororo’s chair was facing the door so he couldn’t see whoever was calmly waiting in the office, but that didn’t matter. He’d get a good enough look when he threw them head first through the window.

Logan had just taken a step into the office when he caught the scent of rain and sandalwood coming towards him. He glanced to his right, seeing Ororo coming down the hall carrying a stack of papers. He saw a smile starting to form on her lips before she noticed his claws. She put down her paperwork and came towards him, her eyes clouding over.

“What is it, Logan?”

Before he could tell her to get back, he heard the faint squeak of a chair turning. Logan looked back to see a tall, dark skinned man looking back at him in surprise.

“Who the hell are you?”

“None of yer damn business, bub,” Logan replied, extending the laws on his other hand. He heard Ororo gasp behind him.

“T’Challa?”


A/N:Continue?





You must login () to review.