Chapter 2 – Beer and Oranges

Logan didn’t believe a word Ororo had told him. He knew she was avoiding him and he didn’t like that one bit. But that didn’t mean he had feelings for her or anything. It wasn’t that he didn’t find Ororo attractive; you had to be blind not to find her easy on the eyes. It was just bad for the team since they were supposed to be working together.

Or at least that is what he kept telling himself.

As Logan thought about it, he realized this all started a month or two ago when everything had pretty much calmed down. If he didn’t know better he would think that Ororo missed all the chaos. But that couldn’t be right. From what he knew about ‘Ro she preferred peace and all that.

Shaking his head, he walked towards the kitchen, passing by Ororo’s –closed – office door. He knew she was in there. It seemed like she always was these days, working till she thought everyone – excluding Artie of course – was asleep and getting started before most of the other staff members had even slammed the snooze button in their first attempt to ward off the work day ahead.

He paused a little past the door, noticing that it was a little too quiet beyond the walls. He knew she was in there, but he couldn’t hear any of the normal signs of work. The keyboard keys clicking as they were pressed down, her voice discussing some important matter over the phone, the scribble of a ballpoint pen over paper. That’s what he was used to hearing. Logan back tracked a bit until he was standing at her door.

“’Ro?” Logan called. He heard a murmur from within the room. He called again only to hear her mumble what sounded like his name.

Why wasn’t she answering him? Was she hurt? A quick sniff ruled that out any injuries. He couldn’t smell any blood. Logan tested the doorknob, surprised to find that it was unlocked. Peeking around the door he was even more surprised at what he saw.

Ororo was at her desk like she usually was, but she wasn’t doing any work. Her head was nestled in the crook of one of her elbows with the other arm draped across her desk. Ororo was fast asleep.

Logan walked in the room, closing the door behind him. He continued over to the desk and looking down at her. Logan knew she’d throw a lightning bolt his way if she knew what he was thinking, but he couldn’t help it. Right at that moment Ororo looked the complete opposite of the goddess image she usually up held. She looked cute.

He reached down and brushed away the long white strands of hair that fell over her face, his fingertips grazing over the soft brown skin over her cheek. Logan noticed the unusual amount of heat radiating off her skin and frowned. He ran his fingers over her hair, slightly curious about the heat.

“Logan?” She murmured. His eyes watched her lips move. She started shifting and mumbling what could only be described as gibberish.

“Shh, go back to sleep darlin’,” Logan whispered, not sure if she was awake enough to hear him. He grinned to himself as she mumbled again, visibly settling back into a deep sleep. His gaze went back to get hair. He was secretly glad she had given up the black highlights and let her hair grow back out.

He pulled his hand away from her snowy locks and headed back out into the hall, closing the door softly behind him. Logan went back to his original plan, to head to the kitchen to grab a beer.

And that’s exactly where Marie found him about an hour later when she walked in the kitchen to grab a snack. She almost didn’t see him sitting at the kitchen table staring out the glass doors, beer in hand. Marie had grabbed an orange from the fruit bowl near the fridge and turned to make her way out before she even noticed him.

“Logan?” She asked.

He glanced back at her and raised a hand in greeting. She joined him at the table curious about why he was just sitting there staring. Marie knew he would usually go someplace more secluded to think or ignore his thoughts all together in the danger room.

“You feelin’ okay?” Logan grunted in response.

Frowning, Marie peeled her orange, waiting to see if he would open up. She wasn’t that hopeful and she could no longer rely on the piece of him in her head to give her some clue.

Marie ate her orange segments as quietly as she could, hoping he wouldn’t tell her to get lost.

Suddenly, Logan’s attention turned away from the window and towards the main doorway. He seemed to forget that Marie was even sitting there as he stared out the doorway, a grin forming on his lips. Marie turned and looked back to try to see what caught his attention.

The hallway was empty, save for one of the new professors, Danielle Moonstar down near the foyer. She looked like she was talking to someone. Leaning forward a bit, Marie saw the other new professor Sofia Mantega. She wasn’t sure what Danielle taught, but she knew Sofia was the Spanish teacher. Glancing back at Logan, she wondered if they were what caught Logan’s attention.

Marie doubted it though. She never saw him even look in their direction any other time, even during staff meetings. To be honest, she doubted if he even knew their names. Just as Marie was about to ask what was so interesting, Miss Monroe walked out of her office and stretched.

Logan’s eyes traced the arch of Ororo’s back, the line of her neck and the outline of her breasts pushed out beneath the white cloth of her blouse.

“Have a nice nap, ‘Ro?” He called as she turned towards the kitchen, her eagerness for a cup of coffee almost visible. Logan nearly laughed as she hesitated, noticing the slight flush of color crawling up the earthy skin of her cheeks. Seconds later the embarrassment was gone and her professional calmness was back.

“Yes, thank you,” Ororo responded as she walked through the doorway. Immediately she went over to the coffee machine. Logan watched her passage with a smirk.

Marie looked between Miss Monroe and Logan and grinned to herself.

“Ya like her!” Marie whispered quietly enough that only Logan would be able to hear. He sent her a glare that could easily make grown men piss themselves, but Marie only giggled. “Aw, ya do! That’s so cute!” He shook his head, taking a swig of his beer. “Ah think you should ask her out, sugah.”

Little to the duo’s knowledge, Ororo had turned her attention away from the coffee machine and was watching them, one snowy eyebrow raised. She couldn’t hear Marie’s whispers, but watching the exchange was enough. A few minutes later, she left the kitchen, Logan’s low growl following her out.





You must login () to review.