Nothing like a bit of professional rivalry.

Three hours and four bottles of Den-certified rotgut later, Logan made his way back to the hangar. He just wanted to work on his baby and not think. A little bit of grease-slinging was just what he needed to get his mind clear, not to mention, he was worried about what Wilson was doing to his ship by now.

If he paints the Olsen twins on my hull one more time, I’m gonna give him a blaster charge enema.

Entering the hangar, Logan smiled upon seeing his ship. No Olsen twins, no Hello Kitty pink highlights, no “Deadpool rules” painted anywhere, everything seemed to be fine.

Logan shrugged his coat off and undid the locks on his armor. The containment gases hissed out, and the large chest plate went lax. He threw it near his tools, and stretched out his body.

“Ya know, I have to say if I was a chick, I would be totally into you.”

Logan cracked his neck and rotated his shoulders. “I wonder about ya sometimes, Wilson.”

Wade popped out from the hull panel he had been working on, the face mask over his head revealing the scarred visage underneath. “Hey, I am more than secure enough in my masculinity, thank you very much.”

Logan plopped down on the ground and began unhinging a hull plate. The stabilizers underneath were fickle of late.

“So, did ya kill anybody?”

“No.”

“Maim anybody?”

Logan peered up at him with a dangerous eye. “Not yet.”

”Damn, now I owe Marko twenty plat; you know, sometimes, you can really disappoint me, Wolvie.”

Logan rolled his eyes as he yanked the plate off, “Oh, now that’ll keep me up in the wee hours of the morning.”

“So how did your little talk go, anyway?”

“Don’t want to talk about it.”

“Never mind; ‘nuff said.”

Logan pried the stabilizer unit out and noticed the burnt edges; needs a new one.

He walked over to his cache of parts and began fishing for the replacement.

“Didn’t you and she used to be partners?”

Logan sighed loudly; leave it to Wilson to rub at a raw nerve.

“Don’t wanna to talk about it.”

Ah-ha, paydirt! Wade thought as he started replacing the panel he had finished with. “She is hot, Wolvie, I mean she’s no Bea Arthur, but kudos to you, big time!”

“Wade, I swear if ya keep this up, I’ll see what a toothbrush is capable of.” Logan found the replacement, got back on the ground and went back to work.

“Okay, okay, touchy, jeez, I see you don’t want any of my sparkling conversation and I am fine with that, so we will just sit here and work in complete and total silence.” Wade went to the next singed panel and started to remove it. “Total silence, that’s what we shall have, I needed time to contemplate on things myself.”

Logan placed the stabilizer in and began tightening it down, trying his best to ignore his sometime partner.

“Yep, not a peep anymore, I mean we can’t get any work done with yakking all the time, so let’s zip it and get to it, I can stand the silence, I know some people have a problem with it, but no not this Hunter, I can stay silent for days, not even a whisper coming from my mouth! That’s a very hard thing for some to do but me, I have it down to art form, I am probably sure I hold the record for it, I think, kind of like armpit musicals, did you know I hold the record for longest performance on at least twelve different worlds, I thought of going professional, but you know the Hunter business is the life for me, I still wonder what sometimes…”

“SHUT UP!”

“So when’s our next job?” Wade asked, smiling down at him.

Realizing that a blissful silence was an impossibility, Logan ran a hand down his face, easing the homicidal intent begging to be set free. “I have no clue when YOUR next job is. Mine is when Anna gets me the first decent one out there.”

“Oh, come on,” Wade whined. “You and me, me and you, we are a great team; I mean, Wolverine and Deadpool, man, that just sounds scary.”

Especially to me, Logan grimaced as he caught his finger on the sharp edge of the latch, bleeding for a moment before the wound closed.

“Come on, we make a great team you and me, remember that job we did on Thayo? That was the stuff of legends.”

Logan snorted. “Ya almost got us killed on that.”

“Did not.”

“Did too.”

“Did not, did not.”

Logan leaned up on his elbow, “Ya used ten pounds of C4 in the trunk of a hover as the diversion.”

“Yeah, so?”

“We were still in the hover when ya set the timer genius. Ya gave us five seconds, I had to crash it into the warehouse where were supposed to make the pickup, then we spent an hour chasing down Gargan and have to go through his bodyguards, all armed with high-frequency blasters, and do ya remember what ya brought that day, Wade?

Wade thought a moment and then smiled. “Oh yeah, I had Vera.”

Logan sighed, “Yeah, and ya took out half of the complex we were in with that damn cannon of yours, left Gargan a bloody stain on the ground, and I was digging shrapnel out of my face for a week.”

Wade said nothing for a moment, then smiled and raised his arms out. “That’s how I roll.”

Logan’s eye twitched a bit. “It’s a damn good thing Gargan was worth just the same dead as alive.”

“I don’t know why you’re complaining, you made me scoop up what was left of him for positive I.D. Do you know how bad brain matter stains red armor, I tell ya, not even Mr. Clean and the Scrubbing Bubbles themselves could get that stain out.”

Logan looked up at him, giving him that tired, pleading look that screamed for quiet.

“We got the job done and we made it home. No biggie.”

“We had so much heat on our tails, I could have roasted marshmallows with my ass.” Logan added. “Anna still gives me hell about how much legal work it took to keep our asses employed.”

Wade nodded, “Yeah, I know, I know, she hid all my chimichangas, too.”

“What I’m tryin’ to say here, Wilson, is that I’d rather piss glass than to have you on a hunt with me again,” Logan said, slapping the hull plate back on and standing up.” We both do better on our own, anyway.”

“Still think we could be the next Butch and Sundance.”

“They were killed by lawmen, Wilson.”

Wade looked at him, shocked. “You mean somebody killed Paul Newman and Robert Redford? LIES!!”

Logan sighed and rubbed his face.

“Don’t get him started on the difference between reality and fiction, sugah,” Anna said, walking into the hangar and swinging her hips. “Stop before he gets on his spiel about how we all just live in the imagination of some guy at his computer, typing out our life story.”

“It’s not my fault no one can handle the truth. I’m tellin’ ya, the guy is big and hairy and drinks way to much Vault,” Wade insisted, pulling his mask back over his face and walking to where Anna and Logan stood.

Logan had a pleading look on his face. “Please tell me ya got something for me, Darlin’.”

Anna smiled. “Bow down and kiss my toes, Logan. After I give you this, you will owe me one of your back rubs.”

“How come I never get a back rub?” Wade asked no one in particular.

Logan ignored him and looked at Anna with anxiety.

“Cameron Hodge, some sleazy former Law rep, who decided to go forward with some very incriminating evidence on a CrimSyn, headed by one Antonio Roccamora, aka Hammerhead.”

“This ain’t a black run, is it darlin’? You know how I feel about working for the Reds,” Logan stated.

Anna shook her head no. “He got out from under Federal protection, thought he could do better on his own, and now he’s scared shitless and wants back in, but Federation says they won’t lift a finger to help him unless he comes back in on his own.”

“So I find him, pick him up, and Federation takes it from there.”

Anna nodded. “Sixty thousand plats, Logan, for a simple grab and bag. You may commence with the butt-kissing, now.”

Wade whistled and Logan smiled.

“Anybody ever tell you that you’re a little piece of Heaven incarnate?” he asked, looking over the contract with disbelieving eyes.

“Only the guys that ever woke up in my bed, and sugah, you have not even gotten close to that,” she winked. “But you may not want to get to happy with me yet. You aren’t the only one on this hunt.”

Logan’s smile froze on his face. “Don’t tell me…”

Anna painfully nodded at him. “She left almost a half an hour ago.”

Logan bolted for his armor and began strapping it back on. “Get the ship ready, I am NOT losing this one.”

Wade was almost jumping up and down with excitement. “OH! OH! Can I come?”

Logan eyed him while reattaching the armor clamps to one another. “This is a pickup Wilson, not a burn’em down to lawn mulch.”

Wade got right in front of Logan’s face with his hands in prayer form. “I’ll be subtle, I promise, no explosions, no wild fire, no Backstreet Boys in the ship!”

Logan stared at him with disbelieving eyes.

“Come on, if I do, you can shoot me.”

Logan snorted. “You’ll heal; where’s the fun in that?”

Deadpool had an almost innocent, begging look about him, and Logan finally sighed. “If ya do anything other than what I say, then I use the claws instead of the blaster.”

Wade gave him a Boy Scout salute. “Yes sir, be right back, gotta grab my stuff!”

As he ran out of the hangar, Anna gave Logan a stern glance.

“What?”

“If you two get into the kind of trouble like you did last time, enjoy the slam because I sure as hell ain’t bailing you out again.”

Logan smiled at her. “Don’t worry, Darlin, I have no plans on waiting.”

Strapping on the last lock of his armor, he dashed for his ship and closed the hatch. The engines were activated and a few minutes later, The Canuk was gone.

Wade came barreling back into the hangar, swords strapped to his back, and several high-powered assault weapons on each arm. He looked around the empty hangar and finally settled on Anna’s apologetic smile.

“I got punked, didn’t I?”

Placing an arm around his sagging shoulders, Anna walked Wade out. “Don’t be upset sugah, tell ya what. I’ll give you some of those chimichangas I have.”

Wade looked at her with a pout, “Can we watch the Ernest Borgnine marathon on Vid?

Anna nodded.

“Okay,” he said, already back to his upbeat self.

He whistled “Bye Bye Bye” all the way down the hall.

Personal shuttle,

The Windrider


Ororo ran a sharpening card down the length of her retractable forearm blades. She checked them and decided they were good enough and returned them to their holding spot in her forearm bracers.

Logan’s little cornpone rep should have given him word about the Hodge contract by now, and if he’s anything like he used to be, he is now probably flying full speed for Delcore

She leaned back in her chair and sighed, relaxed. It was going to be a lot of fun to see him flip out again after she got another contract out from under his nose. Logan’s ship was faster than hers, but with the intel that Forge had gotten, she knew exactly where Hodge was hiding.

She laughed brilliantly at the thought of seeing Logan’s face contorted in a mask of anger. The money was good and all, she would take it of course, but the reaction from her former partner and lover was the true reward of it all.

The Canuk

Logan was pushing the ship for all it was worth. She may have a head start on him, but his baby would get to Delcore a good forty-five minutes before her, and then he would get to be the smug one.

Logan leaned back in his seat with a devilish grin. Ororo wasn’t gonna make him look like an ass this time. This time he’d be on top.

Just like the old days.

Logan let a laugh bubble out of his throat as his ship soared through the spaceways





You must login () to review.