Chapter 9: Animals

Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
Noon…


“Yeah…Ok.”

“Yeah...”

“Ok…”

“Ok…”

“Ok!”

“I know…”

“Ok…Love you.”

“G’bye, Mom.”

That was the scene Rogue entered upon when she found Robert Drake by one of the school’s phone. The young teen boy looked tired, as though the phone conversation he just had took more out of him than staying up all night cramming for one of Doctor Grey’s test. Marie remembered the boy fondly from Miss. Monroe’s class her second day starting at the school. She still had the ice rose he formed for her using his powers of ice manipulation secretly hidden in the back of the fridge.

Marie would even go as far to admit that he was kind of cute in a little boy type of way. Tall and straight, with a slender tone to his body from all the rigorous activities they had going on at the school. His hair was a dark brown, with faint developments of stubble on an otherwise boyish face. Not to mention Bobby had the bluest eyes she’d ever seen.

Ok, maybe she thought he was a little more than cute, but he wasn’t anything in comparison to Logan, who she long ago decided was probably the sexiest man alive. Both Jubilee and Kitty would stand by to attest to that fact…repeatedly. But in honesty it wouldn’t be fair to compare the two. Bobby was just a boy, where Logan was a man…Very much a man. So he had a lot of growing up to do. Even still she could admit Bobby did have his sweet moments.

“Bobby?” she whispered shyly not wanting to intrude upon anything. She didn’t know who exactly he was just talking to on the phone, but even she could sense the strained level of conversation between them.

At hearing her voice Bobby automatically whirled around. A mask of shock mirrored his face the moment he laid eyes on her, almost as though he couldn’t believe she was just standing before him. But that awe quickly melted way into a bright smile. “Oh, hi Rogue,” he said brightly while sliding the phone back onto its mantel. His blue eyes seemed to blaze the longer her looked at her. Rogue instantly felt a flash of heat to her cheeks, not to mention a nest of butterflies seemed to be brewing in her belly.

Ok, he was diffidently a little more than cute.

“Is e’erythin’ ah’right?” she asked timidly, the southern drawl of her voice seemed to magnify from her nervousness.

“Yea,” he dismissed easily, “It’s just my folks,” he expressed while nervously scratching the back of his head. All the tension and stress she thought she saw from him a few moments ago seemed to instantly vanish.

“Oh ok,” she quickly returned, feeling a bit more foolish for bothering him, “See ye in Miss. Monroe’s…” she waved while trying to make a hasty retreat.

“Oh Rogue!” Bobby shouted after her. He quickly jogged in front of her blocking her escape. Her large brown eyes settled on him temporarily making him forget what he was going to say. “Umm…Do you want to go out or something? Like a movie? A few of us later on where planning on doing something and I thought it might be fun.”

At first she didn’t think she heard him right. Back in Mississippi none of the boys ever talked to her. The ones that did always assumed one thing. “With you?” she asked carefully while eyeing him wearily. Bobby nodded. “An’ me?” Still very patient Bobby nodded again. Rogue took a moment to put everything together. There was a feeling inside of her that desperately wanted this, needed this in fact. But there was larger portion that was filled with dread. “It prob’bly wouldn’t be a good ideah,” she softly said dejectedly. When she saw the crestfallen look on his face she felt the need to continue, “No, its jus Bobby…”

“Whenever your skin gets in contact with someone, you absorb they’re life force or energy and in the case of mutants they’re powers,” he rattled off quickly as if it wasn’t the biggest news in the world. His words ended with that boyish smile again.

Rogue’s mouth simply dropped while hearing his explanation. “Yea,” she answered uneasily, slightly puzzled, “How did’ja know ‘bout that?”

The boy then just smiled knowingly at her and she hated to admit it seemed amount of butterflies that fluttered in her stomach suddenly doubled when he looked at her like that. “This is Mutant High. Hardly anything’s hush-hush around here.” He paused while giving a brief look around the room they were in. After he deemed it safe, he then crept in real close to her. He cupped his hand towards her if he was going to reveal a closely guarded secret. “It’s from too many psychics,” he whispered, while wriggling his eyebrows at her. That rewarded him with a big grin even a few small giggles.

“But you know…” he said continuing, “Just because of that doesn’t mean you can’t have any fun,” he honestly admitted. “So…?” he implored, somehow his blue eyes seemed to enlarge at that moment, playing havoc on her willpower. She then gasped when she realized that was the look she often gave Logan whenever she wanted to twist his arm into something to her favor.

“Ah’ll…” she stuttered falling under the spell of those killer blue eyes. She then took a breath and cleared her head, “Ah’ll think ‘bout it,” she responded more firmly.

Bobby nodded his head accepting that above all else, “That’s not a no,” he clarified, tremendously energetic, “That is definitely not a no,” a bright smile warmed his face again and despite herself Rogue found herself laughing. The two fell in step with each other sharing light conversation as they made their way to the TV room. They made to the doorway before the whishing slender form of Kitty Pryde exited the room dashing passed the two.

OoOoOo

Adrenaline flowed through Katherine Pryde’s body as she boldly raced through the hallways of the Xavier Mansion. “Professor! Professor!” her lips cried frantically as she searched for the school’s mentor. Kitty then turned feeling his guiding presence directing her to where she could meet him. Her slender body phased through three walls till she came up short to the elevators that lead to the mansion’s lower levels. Professor Xavier sensing her distressed met her at the doors with the rest of the X-Men in tow.

Cyclops and Storm flanked around Xavier with Jean in the background. The older man maintained his usual calm collect composure while addressing the distraught girl. “What is wrong Kitty?” his steady voice asked her. He then paused, all the hairs on the back of his neck rose as he whispered, “Eric?” his blue eyes widen incredulous.

“You have to have to come look!” the young girl implored to them all while heading back to the den.

OoOoOo

Quickly, the Professor and the rest of the X-Men filed into the mini theater room. As soon as they entered they all noticed the room was flocked with the little heads of most the students from the school as well as several of the teaching staff members. Piotr, ever stoic stood silently by in the background, a large firm hand placed around Kitty’s narrow shoulders. A few quiet words parted from his lips as he tried to soothe the startled girl. Xavier was even surprised to find Logan was also in the room; already dressed back into a fitted white t-shirt, Stetson, and jeans, hairy arms crossed, an unlit cigar dangled from his lips as he watched the broadcast with interest along with the rest of the students.

The middle age Fox News anchorman drew a long breath. His steady green eyes showed he was mentally counting down, preparing himself for the impacting information he was about to deliver. “Ladies and Gentlemen,” his calm voice began sternly, “I’ll repeat for those just tuning in. A mutant terrorist calling himself Magneto as well as an unknown group of assailants has just made a direct attack on the Stark Industries facility located in Seattle, Washington.”

The broadcast instantly cut to a shaky birds eye view from the Newcenter’s helicopter. The Copter circled overhead of the laboratory while large funnels of gray smoke coiled up from the large circular glass-covered building. The news reporter’s voice filled in the background as the footage continued, “There is no word on the amount of casualties as well as the full scale of destruction the attacks caused. And as of this moment it is unknown the reasons or the motives behind the attacks.” The image shifted to a ground viewing panning on the white streams of water that fanned around the building as the firefighters on the ground battled with the remaining traces of the fires. The newscaster began again, his disembodied voice continued with the feed. “We have field reporter Samuel Aarons, that’s currently on location at Seattle. Sam?”

The camera feed switched again to a direct image of a young clean-cut man in his late twenties, dressed in a brown sports jacket. He swiftly raised the microphone to his mouth as he began to talk. “Samuel Aarons, here at the very site of devastation at Stark Industries Seattle. Standing with me, is the current of the head of operations for the Seattle branch of Stark Industries, Mr. Jonathan Silvercloud.”

The picture turned over to the man standing next to Aarons. He was a tall man with a thin cut mustache and long black hair that was neatly placed in a ponytail that fell over his back. His face was a sandy light brown in color, with facial features that depicted that he was of Native American heritage. He was dressed in a neatly pressed black suit, with a single dark glove covering his right hand. “Forge…” Ororo whispered, which drew several nods from the senior X-Men members. Logan briefly looked up sparing a glance at the woman, whose stare seemed fixated on the screen. He chewed hard on stogie in his mouth before returning his attention to the broadcast.

“At this point we at Stark Industries have no idea the intent behind today’s vicious attacks,” Silvercloud began, “Ever since last week, when Mr. Stark expressed the new direction he wanted to take Stark Industries in, a lot of the projects we had in the works were permanently closed. Only a few government authorized researching projects were given the “Ok” to continue to work on.” A firm breeze hit the duo ruffling a few strands of Silvercloud’s fine hair. “What those projects are,” he continued, “I am not at the liberty to say at this moment, due to their sensitive material, but I’m at a lost at what caused today’s senseless attack.” Aarons briefly thanked the Company’s head for speaking before turning things back to the News Anchorman back in the studio.

“There has been no official statement given from the Stark Industries’ CEO Anthony Edward Stark,” the news anchorman began, “Tony Stark, as you may remember had recently just returned to the States after a harrowing kidnapping attempt that had him captive for…” The news anchor paused in his sentence as an aid rushed into view next to him. A bit of dialogue was exchanged between the two off camera, the aid then quickly rushed offstage. The anchorman schooled his face calmly as he began to speak again, “Ladies and Gentlemen, I’m sorry this is breaking news. Shortly after the attacks were made, a video file was sent to all of our studio’s email accounts believed to be from Magneto himself, confirming the mutant’s role in the attack. Our studio’s producers have cleared the video and we now bring you the film from the mutant terrorist Magneto.”

Image from the news channel then switched over to the video. The recording began with a small set that was draped in darkness with only a human shaped shadow in its center. “Citizens of American,” a deep disembodied voice began, “I for many years have tried to turn a blind eye to the many atrocities humankind has blatantly made against my mutant brothers and sisters.” A light in the center of the stage cut on, instantly illuminating the figure. He was a comely older man with shorten cut white hair. He wore a maroon single-breasted garb that was parted to his left. He had hard unyielding lines along his face as if he’d only been witness to the bitter harshness that life can bring. But there was a power in him, a strength that never would be extinguished as long as there was breath in his body.

“Erik no…” the Professor quietly pleaded, as the older man began to speak.

Magneto’s chilling blue-gray eyes took a dangerous gleam as he continued to peer into the camera, “But I will look away no more!” he concluded, his fist slamming forcefully on the metallic desk beneath him. “Today’s events marked the birth of our revolution. This facility’s crime against Mutant kind could no longer be overlooked. Today’s attack was not an act of vengeance but an act of self-preservation,” Magneto then leaned forward while the camera image smoothly zoomed to his face, “And if these crimes continue more retaliation will come in the future and I with my Brotherhood of Mutants will be there on the forefront!”

After the last remaining moments of the video concluded, the Newscaster’s face returned to the screen. “There is no word yet on how these recent Mutant terrorist threats will impact the current Mutant Registration movement that was for a long time being on debate on the Washington floor, but I’m being told now that conservative speaker Senator Kelly is standing by to provide a statement…”

OoOoOo

Xavier’s Headmaster’s Office
Westchester, New York
Ten minutes after the video…

After the broadcast, Xavier promptly cancelled class for the remainder of the day. Although he didn’t confine the students to remain on campus, he did instill an earlier curfew. After the students and the rest of the faculty were instructed, he and the rest of the X-Men including Logan, moved to his Office.

As older man pulled his chair into the room, he briefly looked across the room to see the grim faces everyone held from the events that had transpired this morning. Deep inside, he, himself always prayed that this day would never arrive. His eyes drifted around the room once again, he watched as Ororo and Jean both sat together a dozen clouded thoughts brewing between the two women. He then looked over to the fireplace where Scott stood. His arm draped along fireplace’s banister, his face troubled but still unwavering, always the leader, never willing to admit defeat. They would need to rely on his strength for the coming days. Xavier gaze then drew to the other chair in his office were the young but loyal Piotr Rasputin sat. Piotr had only graduated the previous year, still a boy, in Xavier’s eyes, but he knew that young man’s determination was profound and unshakeable.

The day had finally arrived when his X-Men would have to confront his long time friend. Where they up to the task? Was he?

His attention then fell to Logan, who nonchalantly was leaning against the wall. His arms crossed in front of him, the brown Stetson on his head angled down shielding his face from the rest of them, but Xavier knew full well not to mistake the man’s nonchalant appearance for disinterest. How would his role, play into everything? Would he stay amongst them to weather through this storm? Or would he use the opportunity to find his escape? Xavier’s sighed, as much as he truly wanted to aid the Wolverine with the inner turmoil he constantly battled with, there just were more pressing issues to deal with at the moment.

“It seemed like ya know that Magneto guy pretty well,” Logan voiced, breaking the long held silence that inhabited the room. He tipped his Stetson up so his gray eyes could peer directly at the Professor. A shifting of looks from everyone in the room put Logan’s senses on edge. “What?” he asked; clearly missing something important.

“His name is Erik Lehnsherr,” Xavier finally said, “He is…or was an old friend.”

“Magneto...” Scott’s voice followed more sternly, “Used to be one of the first teachers here,” he supplied, “In fact he was partially responsible for everything you see here.”

“That seems like such a long time ago,” Xavier added. His voice held a faint whimsical tone that seemed to almost long for those simpler times. A deep worrying frown crossed his elderly face, it seemed as though Xavier aged ten years in the space of those few seconds. “Eric has changed so much since when we first met.”

“How do you want to play this, Professor?” Scott queried, deciding to take the initiative.

The older man paused allowing another moment for his thoughts to develop. His then sharpened eyes as he looked up settling back on Scott. “Cyclops I want you and the other X-Men to go to the Stark facility to find out any additional information you can, as well as lend any assistance if needed,” he instructed while his powered chair then moved him behind his desk, “I’m going to contact Kenneth to see what type of repercussions we can expect from Washington.”

As he gave that final instruction, it seemed like all eyes went to Logan, who was doing a good job of ignoring their scrutiny. Since he wasn’t an X-Man he technically didn’t have to go. And given to the events of earlier today, Xavier was inclined to believe perhaps it might have been best if he didn’t. In the end Charles decided to allow him to decide for himself, “Logan you can accompany them if you would like. It would give you an opportunity to witness some firsthand experience of the work the X-Men take part of.”

The brim of Logan’s hat nearly flew up as he eyed the older man like he lost all grip on reality. Before he could promptly put the obviously senile and delirious old man back into his place, Cyclops who visibly stiffened from the offer spoke up first, “Professor, I would strongly recommend against that,” a deeply perturbed face wouldn’t even be half as close to describing the look Scott had.

Xavier simply nodded, “Duly noted Scott, but I believe since there are still a large number of the facilities staff missing, Logan’s eyes and ears might be of great use to the search teams there.” He then contacted Summers mentally, ‘Scott if he’s ever going to trust us, we’re going to have to start to do the same.’ The older man then looked back to Logan, “Besides it is his decision.”

Scott’s jaw visibly tightened but eventually he nodded, “I understand…” still not liking the idea.

So again, all eyes returned to the Canadian mutant awaiting his decision. To his credit, he never wavered even for a moment despite all of their attention. He gazed at the shimmering pair of green eyes that seemed playful, even a bit mischievous as they continued their observation of him. The vacant crimson stare that was never discernable, as if it was taking every piece of him apart as if trying to discover some underlying motive. But what ultimately drew his attention were the deep eyes of sapphire blue, which he never knew where he stood in their place. He then snapped a glare at the grin Pete was giving him, because apparently the younger guy already knew his answer. “Fuck…” Logan grumbled to himself before finally agreeing.

OoOoOo

As soon as they exited Xavier’s office, Cyclops gave everyone a window of ten minutes to allow them to get ready before they would head for Seattle. Since this assignment was strictly for investigative purposes, everyone opted to go in plain clothes, so not to draw any unwanted attention. Most wore dark non-descript clothing with some form of the “X” label on their make. Logan just dressed in his usual jeans, fitted shirt, black leather jacket and Stetson hat.

After ten short minutes all of the X-Men waited in the main hallway before heading to the lower level elevators where the flight deck was held as well as the Blackbird. A bit of uneasiness dwelling with him, Logan brought up the rear, still wondering how in the hell he got roped into going, when earlier this morning he was planning on getting the fuck outta Dodge.

“Logan!” he heard the familiar sweet southern voice calling his name from behind, making him draw up short.

Logan turned around just seconds before the teenage ball of energy that was Marie tackle into him. “Hey kid…” he greeted, playfully tugging on a white lock of her hair, a genuine smile on his face for her.

In a flash the southern girl spun out of his arms, delicate hands on her hips with a deep frown on her lovely face. “So’m back tah kid now?” she accused him with mock anger.

The older man frowned while pausing. “Ah perish tha thought yer majesty,” he said smoothly, while slinging off his Stetson in a grandiose deep dramatic bow to her. An act, which was rewarded with the chorus of the girl’s giggles, he then took it further by plopping his hat onto her head.

The brown Stetson was obviously a few sizes too big, because as soon as it rested on her head slid, falling down over her eyes. She had to tip it, in the back so she could honestly see. “So ye’re goin’?” she asked him a bit more seriously, but that bright smile was never far away.

Logan frowned again, the weight of his impromptu trip returning. “Yea, the Prof. wants me tah baby-sit I guess,” he grumbled, still showing his not too pleased nature about leaving. He then brightened as another thought came to him, “’sides, I thought ya were goin’ out with that Bobby kid.”

“Ye heard that!” the southern girl gaped at him.

And all Logan could do was grin. For some reason he loved seeing the wide brown-eye shocked look she sometimes wore whenever she would clearly underestimate him. “Hard gettin’ anythin’ passed these ears, kiddo,” he tapped his lobe to emphasize the point. His face then took on a more serious light as he regarded her. “Marie, ya should go.”

“But I thought…” she stared feebly.

“Look Marie,” he began in that fatherly tone, he’d sometimes used when he talked to her. Heaven knows when he actually started to develop it. “I can tell things are gonna get real hectic real fast ‘round here. Ya should enjoy this lil’bit of quiet as much as ya can. Ya only got one shot in this life at enjoyin’ bein’ a kid,” he nodded to her sagely, “Believe me when I say, before ya know it, it’ll be gone, then ya’ll just be a cranky ol’ cuss like me,” he ended giving her a sly wink.

A small flush rose to her cheeks as she shook her head suppressing another laugh, “Yer not that old,” she then paused in reflective thought, “How old are ye?”

His gray eyes focused on her for a minute as he considered the question his self. He then shrugged, “Don’t know,” he honestly returned, “But when I find out ya’ll be the first tah know. Now git, before that Drake kid starts eyein’ me, then I gotta gut em an’ make snow cones fer everyone.”

OoOoOo

The small group headed through the metallic halls to the hanger. Logan took a brief look through everyone as they passed. In some weird surreal light it almost seemed like they were going on a road trip, not to the scene of such a catastrophic event. The long sleek dark wings of the Blackbird stretched out for them as they boarded. Everyone took they’re places inside the jet while Cyclops and Jean went up front to pilot.

“Ok, people,” Cyclops began while switching on levers that began their take off. The Blackbird started to hum to life as he started to speak, “Even though we’re in civvies, we’re still to use codenames only. We’re only there for investigative purposes only, meaning we keep a low profile. Also…” The X-Men leader continued his directions. Logan noticed that the other X-Men members didn’t seem too alarmed from all of Scooter’s commands, so Logan decided it was probably natural that Cyke gave some sort of spiel before all of their assignments.

After five minutes of hearing his laundry list of instructions, Logan decided Slim liked hearing himself talk entirely too much. So instead he decided to coop a small nap during the trip.

OoOoOo

Stark Industries Laboratories
Seattle, Washington
Early Afternoon…

It was a few minutes after one, when the Blackbird touched down in Seattle, exactly one and a half hours after the facility was attacked. The firefighters that were present at the scene had just recently managed to put out the rest of the blazes, which allowed the search crews to begin scouring the area trying to hunt for survivors and clear debris. Also present were Stark Industry investigative teams that were working along side the local and federal law enforcement agencies trying to determine all of what occurred today.

Blockades where lined all-around the building, keeping the press out, as well any bystanders that were just interested in catching a glimpse of some of the devastation that rocked through the industrial facility today. Logan and the others remained inconspicuous while heading in through the sea of people. A brief mentioning of the Professor’s name brought them clearance into the building. It seemed that Stark and Xavier had some ties in the past, so their arrival was expected.

As soon as they all stepped through those haggard steel frame doors, it was like they walked into a world of wall-to-wall pandemonium which reigned throughout the facility. There were so many people scurrying this way and that through the building, and yet, it still seemed like not even half of the huge facility was scoured. Several people taking pictures, retrieving samples, as well as taking testimonies from various Stark employees. Trillions of dollars worth of technical machinery laid trashed and demolished, pieces of them were cascaded across the room like confetti. There were at least a dozen holes that, looked as though a wrecking ball was thrown throw the building heedless of anything in its path. Despite of the chaos surrounding them, X-Men continued to venture inside.

“Can I help you all?” a stern-looking woman asked the approaching seemingly out of place group. She was a broad-shouldered older woman probably in her mid-fifties with a few strands of silvery-gray hair peeking out from under her bright orange hardhat. She wore clear thick protective glasses with a white smock and safety gloves on her hands. A bright “Stark Industries Investigations” badge was on her breast pocket but it had no name.

A brief looked flowed through all of them but Summers decided to speak. “We are all representatives from Professor Charles Xavier. We were hoping to maybe shed a bit of light on some areas that you all might not be aware of.”

Her face tightened while raising an eyebrow to the younger man’s flowery tone. “You mean mutant stuff?” the woman stated bluntly.

Cyclops’ jaw visibly tightened from the small jab, but it was Jean that came to the rescue. “To put it lightly,” Jean supplied quickly, realizing the woman really meant no harm.

That seemed to put the older woman at ease somewhat. “Names Madeline Turlock, but all the boy’s in the office call me Maddie. Don’t worry, I won’t ask for your names I know about the whole “anonymity” thing,” she said reassuringly, “I honestly wished you guys gotten her sooner though,” Maddie commented, while slipping off her goggles. The removed headwear left a hard imprint from the lines of the glasses, on her slightly wrinkled skin. “I’ve been at this job for fifteen years. Seen all sorts of accidents in my time, but nothing can compare to some of the stuff I’ve seen today.”

The group followed behind Maddie as she started to escort them through the building. “The Professor wanted to express his thanks for allowing us to come through,” Summers continued in his polite business friendly tone, “We know you all must be very busy with all that’s happened today. And he hopes that Mr. Stark has a speedy recovery from his ordeal.”

“Have you ever met Tony?” she turned to ask him suddenly.

The younger brown haired man shook his head, “No, I can’t say I have.”

Maddie then grinned, “Well I have and let me tell you. Something like a lil’ kidnapping won’t keep that man down for long,” she stated proudly. “Sooner or later, he’ll be out there with some other brilliant idea that is gonna impact the whole world,” the woman openly declared. It was obvious she held a very rooted respect for the Stark Industry CEO.

“Here’s hoping,” Cyclops said, returning her grin.

The group continued moving throughout the large facility. It seemed every square-inch of the building wasn’t spared. They then paused as they watched a clearing crew of ten men move out a room-sized generator. The generator appeared as though it was thrown into the adjacent wall as if it was a mere pebble in the pathway of a typhoon. So firmly was it rooted that a large industrial crane had to be brought in to properly remove it all. The ruined steel squealed and whined as it was being separated, making Logan visibly wince from his sensitive ears. As it was freed, the enormous ruined machinery looked it was cracked in half then peeled apart like a banana peel.

Maddie continued to watch the removal of the humongous devastated power source in both shock and awe. Her hazel eyes never left the ruined debris when she whispered to Scott, “I know it’s not the ‘correct’ thing to say and all, but sometimes what you people can do, scares the living daylights out of me.”

“To be honest ma’am,” Cyclops said as he continued to look up with her, equally astonished, “Sometimes it scares me too,” he responded to her truthfully.

At that the older woman smiled at him. Her face showing such an appreciative light that it was almost humbling. The entire group mirrored her face; even Logan managed a small smile to the older woman. “Here,” she said, looking back to Summers, “I’ll take you to the facilities’ head of operations, Mr. Silvercloud. He’ll be able to tell you everything you need to know about the place.”

OoOoOo

Before Scott went with Maddie, he decided to break up the X-Men in small groups to get a better lay of area. Storm and Colossus was to get some statements together from the investigative crews, while he and Jean went to talk with Silvercloud. Afterward, they were to meet up again in an hour to correspond their results.

Surprisingly enough, Logan asked to go off unescorted. His nose had been twitching since he gotten here and he wanted to check a few things out. Even though Scott was a bit weary about letting the newcomer roam freely, he figured with his senses Logan probably would be the best person able to shed some sort of light on what occurred here.

With a working plan in order the groups broke into their own separate ways and Scott and Jean followed Maddie.

OoOoOo

In the middle of the about a half a dozen Stark Investigative workers, stood the tall Stark Industry head. Pages of blueprints were spread out across a makeshift workstation as the group was going over some plans to figure out a route to get into a particular sector that had been closed off during the destruction. After some deliberation, the group broke after reaching an agreed discussion. The Stark Investigators fanned out leaving the Industry head along to go over some more printouts.

Cyclops and Jean just shared a look as they both watched the Cheyenne man at work. He seemed like such a far cry away from the oil caked, gear head they remembered from yesteryears. Scott then suddenly shouted, “Forge!” a lopsided grin on his face.

The Stark chief looked up not surprised to see his long time friend. “Scott!” Forge cheered while giving the man a sturdy handshake. A frown crossed the X-Men leader’s face as Forge apparently forgot their usual protocol. Forge immediately drew up short and rolled his eyes, “Sorry, Cyclops,” he corrected, seemingly appeasing the mutant leader. Forge dark eyes then turned to the redhead draped on Summers’ arm, “Hey Jean. Or is it Marvel G-…”

“…Jean’s fine,” the doctor hastily supplied. She always mentally cringed at the adopted codename from her teenage years. The psychic doctor brought her hand out to him, “Good seeing you, Maker,” she greeted.

He smiled genuinely to her, but then returned to a neutral face. “I suppose you all saw the News,” he stated knowing he didn’t have to. “We don’t know much of what happened here. At 11:15AM, a massive electronic pulse surged through the whole building and completely knocked out everything,” he advised them grimly, “We had no surveillance, no cameras, and at this moment the search crews haven’t turned up any survivors.”

“No survivors?” Cyclops asked incredulous, “I knew Erik didn’t have any love for baseline humans, but to go that far…” he dropped off, knowing the depth of the Professor’s former friend would wound the man deeply. Cyclops then straightened while returning his gaze back to Forge, “Have you seen the tape?”

Forge nodded. “Yeah, I have. And I can honestly tell you I have no idea what Magneto is referring to,” he responded clearly at a lost, “We do mostly research here. We hardly have any combative projects in the works and the ones we had, are still in the development stage with hardly any ground being made, before Tony shut everything down.”

“Erik seems to believe otherwise,” Jean responded, her bright green eyes looking troubled.

Cyclops crossed his arms over his chest while thinking, “Was there anything specific that they targeted?”

At this Forge hesitated. He then made a show of clearing his throat before stating; “Cyclops you know my position here…” he began hoping the man would understand his implications.

“Yes, I know,” the X-Men leader responded, “but there is no way we can really figure out how to stop Magneto if we don’t have any idea what their purpose here was.”

Forge regarded the man before him, long and hard then said. “I’m sorry Cyclops,” he returned still not relenting, “I cannot in good confidence tell you any of what we’re working on.”

Jean then grinned while coming along side Cyclops. The brown hair man frowned, he deeply sighed obviously disappointed in the answer before conceding, “Ok, we understand your position.”

He nodded to her. “I wish I could be of more help,” Forge ended, before briskly walking away.

“I’m sorry too…” Summers called. He then turned back to Jean; a single brown eyebrow rose, “Got it?”

“Yep everything,” the psychic returned while grinning deviously. During the whole charade of the debate between Scott and Forge, Jean was mentally contacting Forge. It was the only way that the Stark head could reveal the project that Magneto had targeted, without worrying of anyone ease dropping and so also Forge’s job wouldn’t be in Jeopardy. “I swear, I think Forge missed his calling in acting,” Jean said off-handedly while the two made their way back to the rendezvous point for the others. Scott could only grin.

OoOoOo

At the time of the meeting place Jean and Cyclops looked puzzled when they saw only Storm approaching them. “Where’s Colossus?” Jean asked fearing the worst.

“Where’s Wolverine?” Cyclops seconded, already dreading the answer.

As the former African goddess stood before them, her usual calm regal air seemed to flow around her as she spoke to her team members. “Colossus and I hadn’t seen any sign of Wolverine from when we broke up later, so I sent Colossus to go search for him,” Storm replied seemingly not in the last bit worried or surprised.

Cyclops wearily ran a hand through his dark hair in frustration. “Dammit, that’s typical. I knew the Professor allowing him to come was a very bad idea,” he vented. He then looked as both women gave him a leveled glare. “What?”

Ororo decided to ignore the impulse to shout, ‘I told ya so!’ at the top of her lungs. Instead she continued with her briefing. “From what I and Colossus have discovered, the investigative parties concluded that at 11:15 an electromagnetic pulse fired through the facility disabling all electronic, monitoring devices, and surveillance equipment.” She paused while taking a breath, “Five minutes after the blast occurred, a small seismic tremor quaked directly under the building preceding the pulse. What next ensued in the following twenty to thirty-five minutes, they have yet to determine but it seems at the end of it, another seismic tremor struck marking their exit and then thirty seconds afterward the news station received the video file.”

Cyclops took a moment to process all of the information Storm just reported. “It would seem at least Avalanche was working along with Magneto,” he assumed, “But we have no idea who else he’s in league with.”

“And since none of the workers have been found,” Jean included, “we still don’t even have a clue to what we’re up against.”

“It seems this situation becomes harder and harder the more we discover,” Summers said grimly, as another veil of darkness seemed to fall over the mystery.

Storm then looked over to the two, “What did Forge have to say?”

A small smirk found its way to Cyclops’ lips. He was at least pleased to have found some information on this trip, “We know at least what Erik was looking for,” he stated while looking to Jean to take over.

Taking her cue Jean stepped forward and began, “It seems for the last five years Stark Industries was working on an advance type of radar detection system. This system was unique because it’s able to seek out specific DNA signatures,” she paused then said, “It works kind of along similar lines to a lesser version of Cerebro. But instead of brainwaves being monitored, this one can identify by DNA signatures,” she explained further, hoping to clear up any confusion. Seeing no other questions forthcoming the doctor continued, “The project was originally a product that Stark Industry was funding but after two years of unfounded results they dropped it for some time. It wasn’t till about six months later that a wildlife research facility had taken interest in its development and picked it back up.”

Storm shook her head at Jean’s conclusion, “I do not get the connection,” she stated while turning to Cyclops, “Why would a radar detection program cause Magneto to wage a full-scale assault on this facility?”

A grim frown wore itself on the man’s face. “I don’t know, but we have to find out if we have any chance of stopping his next attack. Hopefully the Professor has some leads when we return to the mansion.”

OoOoOo

Meanwhile…

Logan was puzzled.

He slowly moved through the some of the previously inspected areas of the facility. The feral mutant had been following a faint rhythmic tapping whose sound had been traveling through several of the pipelines that ran through most of the building. It didn’t make any sense because any operating machinery would have still been shut down from the electromagnetic pulse. But Logan knew his ears, so he continued to follow it to its source, which drew him to a large dead end.

The area was filled with large scraps of metal that were cascaded all over the place not to mention the big metallic sheet he currently was standing on. Excess piles of freshly turned earth and soil also mixed in with the sheet metal, made it look as if someone made an attempt to burrow the whole thing into the ground.

Logan shook his head. With all the things he’d seen today, it wouldn’t have surprise him.

What he didn’t understand was why the sound he was tracking led him to this area. There was nothing here. He took a quick sniff to get his barrens but frowned. It was more of that powerful metallic scent along with the scent that smelled like a mixture of earth, soil and bedrock. He caught faint traces of small signature scents but given the enormity of the of people that was currently in the facility it was hard to keep track of who was supposed to be here and who was one of the searching teams brought in today.

The Canadian cursed low under his breath. He hated being stumped like this. He then turned on his heel about to leave the area, when from the middle of the floor there was a small, *TAP-TAP-TAP*. Logan paused, curious about the scene. On impulse he moved to the area and tapped his foot with a deep rata-tap-tap. The instead of continuing with its regular stream, the sound blazed in different tempos and speeds. Logan eyes widened in horror, when he realized not only was the platform he was standing over was a different type of metal that was laid out throughout the building, but it was also very hollow and deep. An idea was starting to form, from the different types of metal, to the way the earth around the area was soft like it was just previously moved.

“Wolverine!” Colossus shouted as he approached the preoccupied wayward mutant, “I’d been looking all over for you,” he stated drawing alongside of him, “We are both late for the rendezvous with the others.”

Logan raised a hand up warding Colossus away. “Shhh!” the Canadian barked out to the giant young man at the distraction, “Dontcha hear that?”

The young Russian frowned, giving Logan a look like he’d just grown four heads, “I hear nothing,” he stated plainly.

“I do,” Logan firmly told the Russian born mutant. His tone suggesting that was good enough for him. Wolverine then pushed the younger man aside as he heavily eyed the floor panel again. Colossus had no clue what was drawing Logan’s attention, but the trust he built with his short feral friend, enabled him to humor him for the moment. He watched as Wolverine walked around again. The Canadian’s hands felt along the surface of the cool metal, every so often he would rap his knuckles against the sheet of metal, listening to the sound as if he was trying to discover its thickness. It was at this point when Piotr became very curious in what Logan was trying to discover.

After another couple of minutes, Wolverine’s gray eyes sharpened a clever grin parted his face. “Hey Tin man, gimme a hand,” he shouted before the sound of *SNIKT* pierced the air. Peter then watched as Logan used his claws to make a deep incision into the metallic floor. He continued carefully cutting till he neatly made a twenty-foot by twenty-foot section of the floor panel they were standing on. Logan then backed away to let Peter go to work.

The young man frowned while sparing a glance to his feral friend. Logan only offered the barest of grins before motioning for Peter to do his thing. Colossus sighed then took a breath, in an instant a rhythmic clanking of metal replacing flesh echoed as he took his steel form. The sleeves of his jacket widened at first then splintered from the man’s sudden change in height and width and in a few seconds he retained the full size that was attributed by his gift. The colossal mutant then bent forward each one of his massive hands taking a grip inside the grooves that Wolverine cut. He uttered a small grunt then lifted up, the metal in his hand groaning and whining under the strain, suddenly they both heard a loud chorus of shouts and cries underneath the metal…Very human cries.

OoOoOo

Completely started by the surprise Colossus nearly lost his grip. “Easy goin’, Pete. Keep it comin’,” Wolverine cautioned, the Canadian mutant’s steady hand shot out latching onto Peter’s forearm. Nodding Colossus continued to lift for all he was worth. With Peter’s immense power, the metal slab wasn’t heavy in the slightest, but he had to measure his strength verses the integrity of the metal he was holding. If he wrenched it back too strong or too fast he risked the danger of it tearing apart from his grasp all together.

A well of hot stale air poured out from the opening. Echoes of “Thank god!” and “Help us!” continued to stream out till Logan stepped into the moving toward the passageway that was slowly opening. “E’eryone ok?” he called down there. The area below was a darken lab room, that somehow was stuffed down into the passageway.

“God yes!” a man shouted, he shielded his eyes from the intense glare, “Get us out of here!” he cried. Logan then looked around, there was almost fifty people stockpiled in the small area. Some of them appeared very weak from the stale air and the lack of oxygen. There were at least thirty feet that separated their position from the opening, which meant they weren’t able to climb out on their own. “We got some injured here,” the man continued on frantically. He then looked over his shoulder, Logan spotted an elderly woman whose head was propped up by some of their coats, “Maria, she’s been unconscious now for a half hour,” the man continued to rattle off.

“We’re gonna git e’erybody out,” Logan assured them, “Gimme a sec, have to bring in some more people. Just hold tight,” Logan shouted down to them, and then turned to Colossus, “Yo, Tin Man, ya got it?”

“Da!” the giant mutant muttered not in the least bit hesitant, “I’ll not move,” he resolutely confirmed. He then lifted the opened to the furthest he could extend then moved, wedging his back against the parted slab while taking a rigid stance.

The man that was the unofficial voice box for the Stark Industry survivors watched a little horrified at the powerful display that the mighty mutant Colossus seemed to portray. Logan grumbled, sensing the drastic change in the man’s scent. “I can always let me friend drop it ya know…” he rudely shot back.

The man guiltily looked down, “Sorry, it was just shocking.”

“Eh, remember they could be puttin’ that on yer tombstone…” Logan dryly replied before heading off to get some of the search crew officials.

OoOoOo

The three remaining members of the X-Men stared in amazement as large commotion was raised at one section of the facility. Then almost as if it was coordinated, a massive wave of the Stark Industry workers and legal officials started to rush off. Several voices shouted out orders as everyone moved frantically, with the rescue crew spearheading the charge.

Cyclops caught sight of Forge, while he was in mid-dash with the crowd, “What’s going on?” Summers quickly asked.

Forge looked both excited and astonished as he replied, “That Wolverine guy of yours and Colossus found the workers,” the Marker barely spared another look before turning back with some of his Stark officials. Needing no more prompting the trio of X-Men followed suit.

OoOoOo

Ororo continued to move with Scott and Jean as they headed into the direction. Eventually she, Scott and Jean managed to press them selves through, filing into that small corridor. For several minutes she couldn’t see a thing because the sight was blocked by the heads of dozens of people, but then those heads started to bob to the side, probably due to a slight mental suggestion. Another tidbit they wouldn’t mention to the Professor.

The African Windrider watched as Peter clad in his metal form almost appeared to be like Atlas, holding up a wide slab of metal above a hole that seemed equal its size. She observed as several of the bright yellow coats of the rescue workers surrounded the hole and surprisingly, standing out front, black jacket cast to the side was Logan in the center of everything.

At seeing him by himself there, Ororo immediately started to press through the crowd to join their team members. But she quickly felt the light restraining hand of Cyclops on her shoulder with Jean standing next to him. Ororo looked to the two questionably, but then Jean spoke to her mind, ‘Let him have this moment…’ she called to her solemnly. Scott nodded adding an assuring bright smile.

For a moment Ororo didn’t understand the two, but she cast another look back to Logan. Several seconds it didn’t make any sense to her and then all at once it just clicked. She noticed the determined and focused look on his face as he worked alongside of the Rescue workers and the Firefighters. The tension, the sweat, the sheer amount of effort and emotion he shed as he brought each one of those people out of that hole.

It seemed like all around her, every eye was glued and every breath was held as they removed Stark employee after employee. Forty-five long minutes they tirelessly worked, till it seemed like there was only one more person left. There was a slight commotion, but Ororo was so far away that she couldn’t hear any of what was going on. Logan was shouting something down into the hole and the looks of his face he wasn’t getting the response he was hoping for.

Then at once he just disappeared down into the hole. There were a few moments where nothing occurred. Then finally he emerged from the pit, in his arms was a young woman. Tears were streaming down her face as she held onto Logan so tightly it was like he was her only anchor to this world. There was a deep pain that signaled in Ororo’s heart as she watched another claustrophobic victim come to grips with being so thoroughly submerged in her fear.

As they approached the other crews, the woman mumbled several intangible things as she wept into Logan’s shoulder like she was afraid to let go of him. The other medics on hand tried to persuade her to let go but she profoundly refused. It was then when Logan then whispered a few things to her. Ororo wasn’t able to pick up what was said, but after some deliberation the woman finally untangled her arms from him and she went into the hands of the Rescue Teams so they could start taking care of her.

At the close of the event, Peter finally moved allowing the lid to finally close with a resounding slam. He then returned to his normal form, standing along side of Logan, who had been met with the staring eyes of everyone in the facility. The silence between everyone was almost deafening. But it swiftly broke as a pair of hands clapped for the two men.

Everyone turned to look as Maddie stepped forward, bright smile on her face. The older woman then nudged the two guys standing besides her that instantly took the hint. The clamping and applause seemed contagious. Loud cries and cheers broke out all around the two as everyone gave the two heroes a standing ovation, which lead to an occurrence that Ororo thought she’d never see in all her days, the Wolverine actually looking humble.

Forge then parted through the sea of people. He stood before the two men, proudly shaking both their hands. He then stood in between them holding their arms up, as the crowd seemed to break into a crescendo.

OoOoOo

For a few more moments the crowd celebrated the rescue till Slivercloud promptly called for a ceasefire so they could get things back on track. They still had a lot of work to do, but the recovery of the Stark workers put everyone in a lighter frame of mind. Wolverine and Colossus soon rejoined the other members. Every so often a stray Officer or Stark investigative worker would come by to pat either men on the shoulder or give them a handshake in thanks. It was enough to make even the forever brooding, Logan crack a small smile.

That of course fell when he saw the delighted looks on his companions face. “What?” he barked out, feeling like he was caught off-guard.

Jean was the first to move. She draped a slender arm around both of the men, giving them a big hug. “You guys I swear…” a bright smile was on her face that also seemed to shimmer in her green eyes. The redhead spared Logan a long lingering look that he could practically taste the lust she was projecting. She then disengaged them both to go help the medics. As he left, he couldn’t help but watch the sashaying curve of her hips as she moved. Once again he was trying to remember why exactly he turned the redhead down.

He didn’t have a moment to consider it before he got suddenly rapped on the shoulder again. On instinct again, he whirled around to come face to face with Scott Summer. Wolverine swore a blue streak before addressing the X-Men leader, “I swear tah god, Scooter if ya don’t stop doin’…”

“Good job,” the younger man extended a sincere smile on his face.

Logan narrowed a piercing look to the man. He distinctly noted the lack of condescension or malice in Summers’ voice. “Eh, don’t get mushy on me One-Eye,” he gruffly grumbled, “We still got a job tah do,” he tried to sound annoyed while brushing pass the clean-shaven team leader, but Scott caught the genuine smile that was on the normally crass mutant’s face.

Wolverine looked over to Storm and Colossus. The Windrider approached, warmly embraced the younger man. “Peter, I know your family, especially your sister, would be very proud of you this day,” she said to him warmly, placing a light kiss on his cheek.

“Got one of those for me, ‘Ro?” Logan inquired, his voice breaking the two apart. Ororo spared Peter a final parting smile before turning her attention to the Wolverine. Peter stood silently in the background for a moment, before Scott lightly tapped him on the shoulder, drawing the younger man over so they could find if Jean needed any help.

Storm narrowed her eyes at Logan as if she was still trying to decipher the enigma that the man was. For a moment she paused as she considered his abbreviation to her name. To be honest it sounded strangely fitting coming from him. Not to mention, the way his lips seemed to roll the ‘R’ a little, sent shivers through her body. Goddess, she didn’t understand how a man could make one syllable sound so sinful. Drawing away from her thoughts, a bright smile graced her face as she continued to look at him. “Logan, I have to say I didn’t think you’d be one to ever change,” she began in all seriousness, her slender hands finding her hips, “But yet you continue to surprise me…”

“Darlin’ I thought ya knew,” he said while advancing a step toward her, “this Canuckle-Head is full o’ surprises,” he grinned stepping again.

Ororo frowned, noticing for the first time just how closely in proximity he was. “Logan, what are you doing?”

His dark eyes burned into her with a fierce determination, “Ya owe me a kiss ‘Ro,” he plainly stated. His steel gray eyes seemed to flash while looking to her. “I aims tah collect,” he evenly declared, his strong arms pulling her close. There was a brief moment in time when everything completely stopped for Ororo Monroe. Her keen sophisticated mind blazed with a thousand different thoughts, most of them circling around the potential danger that was approaching her.

Then Logan kissed her.

Any semblance of thought was ignited out of the stratosphere the moment his lips touched hers. Her soft hands slid across the hard contours of his broad chest as he pulled her even closer. She was telling herself to quickly push him away, summon lightning if needed, but then he turned his head, deftly capturing her plump bottom lip for a moment before drawing her in again, followed by a third time. It was approaching the point where she prayed to the Bright Lady that he wouldn’t devour her whole.

After what seemed like minutes or maybe hours, the world righted itself and they came up for air. Both breathless with heated looks aimed at the other.

Someone swore.

Surprisingly enough it was she. More surprisingly, it was in Swahili.

A smug look plastered itself on Logan’s face as he regarded the woman in his arms. She was soft, delicate, not to mention the lust flaring in her very womanly scent was driving him wild. He tried to pull her in for another smoldering kiss, but then she firmly pushed him away. Her enflamed blue eyes sent him a warding glare that said if he touched her, she would bring the heavens down upon him.

Accepted the rejection for what it was Logan removed his hands, which she had just realized, had been caressing her rear during the minute or minutes of their kiss; looking not even remotely apologetic and diffidently not regretful.

Ororo glowered at him for a moment longer before walking off. A mix of English and Swahili curses flying from her lips, which drew odd looks from the workers, she passed. Not really understanding why she was so pissed. Oh yeah… She couldn’t believe what she just allowed herself to walk in to, but Goddess the man could kiss!

Meanwhile…

Logan, feeling pretty damn good about him self, decided to find out what their ‘Fearless Leader’ was up. Hands draw to his pockets he started to stroll down the lanes, merrily whistling the tune to the Andy Griffith Show.

OoOoOo

Harry’s Dine-in ~N~ Pizza Palace
Westchester, New York
Later Afternoon…

“Earth to Jubilation…”

“Jubilee…” Kitty glared at her friend from across the restaurant’s patio table. The teenage Asian girl had been staring off into space for the last few minutes, blissfully unaware of the world around her. “…Jubilee!” Kitty called again, growing a little bit more frustrated. She then snapped her fingers a few times in front of the girl’s face.

Jubilee finally blinked a few times bringing coming back to reality. That’s right she was with her friends at Harry’s. The teen girl looked around the patio table; both Kitty and Rogue were staring at her completely dumbfounded. She then noticed the fact they all even had their orders already. “Huh? Wha?” she mumbled, brain still not working yet.

“You kind of just zone out there for a second,” Kitty answered evenly. Years of friendship with Jubilee had forged Kitty’s acceptance of the girl’s lunacy. You didn’t stay friends with the most highly hyperactive teen in Mutant high without expecting the occasional episodes of weirdness. And it seemed Rogue had proved to be a quick study to bizarre ways of Jubilee.

“Sorry,” she said wearily, while wiping her face and not to mention a little bit of drool, “Just fantasying about that hottie Logan feeding me grapes in nothing but an extra tight edible thong.”

The sudden comment came when both Kitty and Rogue were in the middle of eating, which of course resulted in Kitty nearly choking on a buffalo wing and Rogue spitting out half her coke. Seeing her friend’s plight Rogue quickly rapped on Kitty’s back helping with the airflow. The southerner Rogue then frowned while deadpanning the Asian girl, “Kitty’s rightah, ye’re bananas.”

Jubilee eyed her two recently turned traitor friends. The girl stuck out her tongue at the both of them with a loud drawn-out raspberry. “Oh like the two of you hadn’t thought about it,” she shot back while crossing her arms. Rogue and Kitty mouths both gapped open for a protest, which never came because they both were guilty as charged. Even Kitty, who had dedicated her heart on a particular towering Russian dreamboat, had to admit that Rogue’s surrogate champion held a place in the deep dark corner of her heart where, ‘Bad Kitty’ resided.

One of the two other people at the booth who tried to remain silent for reasons of maintaining his sanity decided to finally speak, “Ok can you guys please stop; me and John are about to vomit here,” Bobby declared with John in the back doing ‘violent’ gagging motions. He then threw himself into the empty seat as if he spontaneously expired.

The girls laughed at the boy’s antics. Jubilee suddenly then remember what caused her little fantasy episode. Rogue was regaling them with the tale of how she and Logan first met. “But still Rogue for real he was called Wolverine?” The southern girl nodded sipping one some more of her diet coke. Jubilee just scoffed at the name, “That is sooo not cute,” she announced to the table. The girl then caught a contemplative look, “Hmmmm…Wolvie!” she cheered while snapping her finger, “There that’s totally better,” she confirmed with a deliberate nod of her head.

There were pairs of shared looks across the table, apparently not many of them agreeing with Jubilee’s choice. “Yeah, I’m sure he’ll warm right up to that,” the dirty blonde haired boy, John Allerdyce commented dryly. Before Rogue showed up, John was newest member to the X-Teens; a name the group of teenage mutants came up with since they were all too young to become full-fledged X-Men. Having pyrokinetic powers and even more importantly a prankster’s heart, he quickly became somewhat of a rival to Jubilee during they’re escapades in the mansion.

Jubilee’s nose twitched. It always did that when she was getting particularly ticked. And apparently no other boy in the mansion could seem to invoke the feeling like John did. The Asian girl then put both her hands on her hips while she addressed him, “Don’t recall asking you flame brain!”

John flipped and unclasped the nickel-plated Zippo lighter; he was seldom ever without, in his hands as he eyed the Asian girl. “Keep talking Sparkles and you’ll see how hot I can really get!” he countered leaning from his side of the table, their noses almost an inch apart from touching.

Bobby simply grinned at the two. “Hey, can you guys flirt on your own time? Some of us are still eating,” he teased while chuckling loudly. Kitty and Rogue both had to bite their tongues to fight from laughing as well. At hearing his comment both Jubilee and John sprang back from each other as if they both had a deadly plague, a deadly plague that incidentally caused them both to have bright red flushed faces.

John slumped away grumbling to himself, while Jubilee regained her thunder. “Whoa, whoa, Bobby, you’re my boy and all, but don’t think I won’t go buck wild on you,” she finished with slapping both of her hands on the table.

Drake’s blue eyes narrowed at the yellow-clad Asian girl. “Bring it on sparkplug.”

Poor, poor Bobby, so completely out of his league, how apparently didn’t see his own doom till it was too late. Jubilee just eyed him, flashing a devilish smile and said one single word, “Girls…” which summoned Kitty and Rogue, who both silently creped in and outflanked Bobby instantly seizing an arm, while Jubilee dove tackled him over the table. In a flash the diminutive girl, had the boy’s shirt over his head trapping one of his arms while attempting to put one in a chicken wing, with her knee in his back; all the while shouting, “Say uncle! Say uncle!” She briefly had a mental note to thank Wolvie for the self-defense lesson.

“John help!!!” the distraught and overwhelmed Robert Drake called, begging for the aid of his long-time friend.

At his utterance, three sets of brown eyes leveled a terrifying glare to the fire manipulator, each daring him to make a move. John raised a single eyebrow realizing how close to doom he really was. “Dude, you’re on your own,” he quickly supplied, “I’m getting another slice of pizza,” he said abandoning his friend with a shrug. He was certain that Rogue girl liked Bobby a little bit so they probably wouldn’t hurt him too bad…right?

OoOoOo

Stark Industries Laboratories
Seattle, Washington
Late Afternoon…

After the excitement of recovering of the workers died down, the X-Men all filed around Logan. Since he mentioned he was able to get a good read out from around the building, he believed he could fill in some of the pieces to whom it was that committed the attacks today.

Before he began, Logan paused briefly as he watched the people that surrounded him. It amazed him light that was on all of their faces as they looked to him. It was a look of trust. They actually depended on and wanted his services for something other than the business he’s best known for. It was a usual feeling, liked he belonged to something. And he had to admit it felt good helping those people today. He’d never thought he’d ever risk his neck for complete strangers. But it felt right, almost like when he stopped on the side of the road and allowed Marie into his life. Maybe there was something to this X-Men stuff after all, he mused as he started to collect his thoughts. It was something he’d have to digest on later when they got back to the mansion and he had some time to himself to think, not to mention have a good smoke.

Now that he thought about it, he was sporting the world’s worst case of cottonmouth. He hadn’t had a beer in almost a week. He decided there on the spot, when they got back he and Pete was going to ride into town find a decent bar and buy a few rounds to celebrate. Hell, he’d even invite Scooter to come with, as long as he’d find a way to remove the stick from his ass for a few hours.

“Far as I can tell One-Eye,” Logan began, “There was five of ‘em.”

The X-Men leader frowned and not at the slur nickname the feral mutant gave him, “How can you tell?”

Logan narrowed his eyes at the question as if it was obvious, “I can smell ‘em,” he stated bluntly. He then started to mentally recall all of the evidence and the scents he picked up. “It ain’t easy since I never picked up any of their scents before, but I got the baseline feel for ‘em. And startin’ off one of ‘em needed a goddamn bath,” he grimaced while shaking his head, “He stinks of a damn sewer.”

“That’s probably, Toad,” Summers grinned, clearing remembering the unhygienic mutant.

Logan eyed Scott filing the name away with the scent, hoping never to meet the two in the near future, if his nose could help it. “One of them got a weird scent of earth, a bit of soil and bedrock,” he counted off, and then paused, “His scent was all over where those people were buried.”

“Avalanche most likely,” Storm supplied.

“One o’ em, I ain’t got a good scent on but he was big, wider than two door frames,” Wolverine then peeked over Cyclops shoulder, eyeing Colossus, “Prob’bly, almost as tall as Pete over there. His footsteps stompin’ all over the place, even ran through a few brick walls like they were toilet paper.”

Jean shared a look with Storm and Cyclops, “That sounds like Cain.”

“Cain?” Logan asked not followin





You must login () to review.