Chapter 11: Heaven & Earth

Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
Early Morning…

The gentle rays of the morning light pierced through the kitchen’s wide windowpane bathing Ororo Monroe in its golden radiance. Dressed in a simple white evening gown with a silk robe firmly tied around her waist, she quietly sat watching the sun blossom into waking while nursing a piping hot cup of tea. The warm liquid was rich and pure, which was just what the doctor ordered, invigorating her body as her mind continued to wander.

She had been up for hours now, but strangely she didn’t feel the least bit tired. An unusual sort of vivaciousness tingled within her body, making her feel more alive than she had been in a long while.

The former goddess knew she roughly had a little under an hour before everyone else in the mansion would start to waken and the day would truly begin, so she wanted to use the time she had to have a few moments of peace alone to her thoughts. The usual deliberation of the day’s lesson plan which was routine, was cast to the side this morning as she continued to travel through the hectic events of the previous day not to mention the impromptu visitor that was upstairs sleeping in her bed.

An easy smile fell to her full lips as more bits and pieces of last night came to her. How easily she seemed to lose herself while in his presence. It was certainly a night that she’ll never forget.

OoOoOo

Ororo’s Loft
Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
A few short hours ago…

“I feel like a complete pansy,” a very male baritone voice grumbled, reverberating against the four sandalwood walls of the spacious room. Logan rubbed his dry eyes for a fourth time as he nestled into the coma-inducing comfort of Ororo’s king size bed. A strange feeling; sort of like a mixture between exhaustion and peace breezed through his body bringing him a certain serenity. Although it didn’t erase the hollow ache in his heart that had been dominate since he found that poor girl in Seattle, it did ease the pain tremendously.

There was a pregnant pause, which was shortly broken with, “Well if it will make you feel any better we can drive into town to stop at the first unsavory bar we come to. And there you’ll be free to pick as many fights as it takes until you reclaim your lost sense of manhood,” the velvet tones of Ororo voice were light and helpful as she prompted herself up on one elbow to regard him, granted the lop-sided grin on her lips didn’t do well to drive home her sincerity.

Logan sent her a look. And Ororo returned it.

The two were a mess of limbs and legs. Darkness paraded around the room as they gazed at the starlit skies from the loft’s numerous open pane windows, shamelessly draped against each other. He was clad in his well-worn jeans and she was dressed simply in a white evening gown. Neither of them could explain how they found themselves this way after the events in the kitchen, but just as well neither of them felt the need to complain.

Logan smirked as he regarded her suggestion. He moved slightly, settling himself further in the mattress, sending a slight tremor through the bed. She allowed him a few minutes to get himself situated before her head returned to its place nestled comfortably on his stomach. “Nah,” he breathed contently, “I think I enjoy tha company here more,” he commented off-handedly, one of his large hands came up gently tugging on a few tresses of her hair.

Ororo, fighting the urge to smile, instead made a show of rolling her eyes followed by a deliberately long drawn-out sigh, “I suppose I should be flattered,” she responded dryly. Her sights falling to him, her sapphire blue eyes alight with inner mischief. This was not the same ‘Frosty bitch’; he believed she was a week ago. Logan didn’t comment, instead he sent her a smile, his fingers still enthralled with that same thick lock of snow-white hair.

An episode of quiet fell upon them, but it was not an awkward silence beret of two people fumbling furiously for anything to break the gap. It was a warm companionable stillness for two people that were simply enjoying each other’s company. It was strange after the episode in the kitchen; the personality guards the two were so used to being armed with were somehow cast aside. A new sort of understanding bloomed from the wreckage, affecting them both.

“Heard ya were a goddess back in Africa,” he tossed out, suddenly recalling the bit of conversation that he had with Jubilee during the first days when he and Marie showed up at the mansion. It was a passing bit of information that he only remembered just now, which was an achievement in itself because of the overload of information he received at the time from the motor mouth Asian girl. ‘Gawd that one could talk!’

Ororo cheeks colored at the memory. “That was a long time ago,” the Windrider fleetingly dismissed. She was a little more than a child at that point of her life, young, proud, and so very foolish. For such a long time she completely believed the sun rose and fell at her beck and call. Its amazing how one traveler’s mistake could unfold so many chain of events.

Logan regarded her silently during her reflection. The more he looked at her the more he could see younger ‘Ro, beautiful, strong, commanding the elements with all the fury and the grace of a true goddess. He honestly could easily see how people could throw themselves in worship to her. Not to mention the beauty to make anyone fall in love with her.

More than once he caught himself staring at her. Lavish windswept white hair, almond eyes that held the treasure of the deepest blue orbs he’d ever seen; soft caramel colored skin and full pouting luscious lips that had been on his mind for the last hour, wanting to sample again. A singular lock of hair suddenly fell across her eyes momentarily irritating her vision. And Logan, without waiting for invitation, reached across removing the renegade lock of hair that was spoiling his view. Her blue eyes swam to him as he quirked a grin, “That must be nice on tha ol’ resume.”

Ororo’s eyes widened instantly, she then threw her head back against his firm stomach as a rich throaty laugh escaped from her. And Logan decided then and there that he loved her laugh. Her velvet voice continued till a brief smile touched her lips in between the mirth as she tried to settle back down. “I can’t seem to live it down,” she commented while wiping her eyes.

“Do ya e’er miss it?” he asked, honestly surprised at his own interest in her response.

Logan then turned on to his side, which meant Ororo was momentarily robbed of her pillow. She sat up leaning forward while tucking her long legs underneath her. Her meager nightgown still provided a liberal amount of leg and probably a bit more to be seen but she had long grown passed the point of modesty in regards to her own body. Although she did find it reassuring that his steel gray gaze was focused solely on her sapphire blue eyes and nowhere else.

“No,” she began; she wrapped her arms around her legs as she rested her head on top of them. Her eyes fell down to him as his attention was only on her. “My life as a goddess kept me sheltered and I hate to say, very naïve. There would have been so many things I would not have experienced if I didn’t go beyond the boundaries of my village,” she stated, “If I remained in Africa, I would not have the chance to meet Scott, Jean, Kitty, or even you for that matter,” her eyes then looked away for a moment as if in mild deliberation, “Although that last one might not be as bad.”

“Ouch, darlin’,” the feral mutant’s face scrunched up as if he was actually injured, “Nice, hit a guy when he’s down, ‘Ro.” Instead of looking abash or even ashamed, Ororo just glowed, smiling even more brightly. There was a light, a sort of energy in her tonight. His break in the kitchen not only seemed to have cleansed some of the woes within himself, it seemed to have the same affect on Ororo as well. It brought out a side of her that Logan never seen before and the more he saw the more he was interested, “Well look at you…”

“What?” she looked at him as if she was just caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

Thoroughly amused with himself, Logan continued, “I’d say darlin’, if I knew all it would take were a few tears before ya le yer hair down,” he then flashed her, his trademark razor toothed grin, “I’d enroll inta one o’ Scooter’s classes. That guy’ll bore anyone ta tears.”

Ororo’s eyes narrowed thinly to him, slightly put out. “If anything it’s your fault I am like this,” she firmly testified, while crossing her arms underneath her breasts.

“My fault?” he repeated incredulously.

“Certainly,” she confirmed with nod, “You’re a very bad influence.”

That he had to ponder for a moment. After a minute or so he decided, he diffidently had to agree. “’course…” he stated proudly, his chest puffing up slightly. His eyebrows then wrangled devilishly to her, “Now gotta work on gettin’ ya swearin’, smokin’ and drinkin’.” he pledged to her, which were some of his favorite things.

“You wish…” Ororo returned while rolling her eyes. In sharp retaliation Logan gave her another playful tug on her hair. For a brief moment Ororo considered summoning a brief rain cloud above his head, but then thought against it. It would probably ruin her sheets.

A few more moments passed that settled them both down. Ororo’s attention went back to stargazing and Logan’s attention went back to her. His steel gray eyes fell along the smooth curve of her endless legs, tracing up the mocha plane of her slender back. Logan’s lips then pressed together as he was drawn to the chocolate creamy skin that fell along the space of her delicate neck. He could vividly see his lips capturing her as he sought her from behind, his heated breath titillating her skin as he whispered into her ear his desires for her.

He could feel the Beast inside him, craving demanding to have the female quivering underneath him. But he didn’t feed into the impulse. He realized in that moment, when it came to ‘Ro, the Beast held no ground.

“You plan on staying?” her voice cut in, breaking him from his stupor.

Logan then turned away. Averting his eyes from her before he did something he just might regret. “Marie likes it here,” he stated plainly, “This place is real good fer her.”

Ororo just smiled while looking at him. Originally she didn’t know what to make of the relationship between the teenage girl and the burly mountain man from Canada. Ororo could clearly see the open admiration the girl had for him; anyone that was in the same room with the two could see it. But what always surprised her was how much Logan allowed himself to be open to the girl. At times they seemed to be the best of friends, other times he almost seemed like a surrogate father to her doting on her the best he could and showing her the affection that only a family could provide in other times. “Logan, while I admire your dedication to Rogue,” she said definitely, “I was actually inquiring about you?”

Logan held a long drawn look to her then closed his eyes. “I don't know,” he said truthfully.

She regarded him from time, realizing his solemn state was probably in the light of all that’s happen recently. She decided she wanted things to stay light between them, at least for this night. “Well, its imperative that I know,” she informed him firmly. Her blue eyes then lit up, “So I can prepare myself for when I have to drag you back kicking and clawing…” she grinned.

Logan’s mouth dropped. “Well, how ya like that?” he cried clearly put out, “At first ya wanna get rid of me, now I can’t break free.”

That sentence seemed to sober her up quickly. Ororo frowned as she regarded him, “Logan, I’m truly sorry for what I said before. I…”

Not even waiting to hear the rest, Logan unceremoniously fell back onto her bed, “Eh, its water under the bridge, ‘Ro,” he stated while shrugging his shoulders, “I know I ain’t tha easiest guy ta get along wit sometimes…”

Sapphire blue eyes sharply cut over to him, “That’s an understatement,” she mentioned under her breath.

His eyes then shot back to her, “Wiseass…” he muttered. Ororo eyes widen at his words. She then promptly rapped him on the stomach, silently admonishing him for swearing.

He glared at her. With a challenging ivory eyebrow raised she glared right back at him.

Logan sighed, his hands fumbling through his dark unruly in mock frustration. “Bah, I can’t win!” he groaned, while Ororo’s laughter roared in the background.

OoOoOo

Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
The present morning…

The cool crisp morning air greeted Ororo as she stepped out from the kitchen onto the patio. Her bare feet padded across the blades of grass, while she breathed in the chilling wind. More of the sun was peaking over the horizon, turning the earlier crimson purple color of the sky into more of a burning orange hue. She realized in that moment, that she stood in the very spot that Logan held his vigil the day before.

She had learned through the night that, he held an almost kinship with nature that was almost as strong as her own. The first memories he could clearly recall since the day he received his adamantium, were of his weeks where he trekked alone through the wilderness of the Canadian Rockies. He wasn’t sure if it was also apart of his life before, but since then he’s felt this connection to the forest. So whenever he feels he’s on the verge of losing himself, he tries to immerse himself in its presence.

The moment he confessed it, she instantly knew of what he was speaking of. She felt the same way too. On the few occasions that hardly anyone knew of, she would allow herself fall into the whim and might of thunderstorms that brewed within the skies. Free from the worries of the earth, free from the judgments of others, there she could be one with the world and the elements as they coursed and razed. The heavy droplets that fell against her nude body were soul cleansing, purifying her from the grime and troubles that seemed to mount up in her life, ultimately leaving her revived and refreshed.

Thinking about it all now, she came to a conclusion, although he was more of the earthly realm and she was of the heavens, both heaven and earth were still deeply connected.

OoOoOo

Ororo’s Loft
Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
A few hours ago…

“Logan, can I ask you an honest question?”

The Canadian in question, thick burly arms were folded behind his head as he turned to her, “‘slong as you don’t mind an honest answer, darlin’,” he returned.

Ororo took a moment to collect her thoughts. The question she wanted to ask him was a very delicate subject and she didn’t want him entertaining the wrong idea as to why she was asking. After another few moments she finally began, “Jean and I both heard from Rogue how the two of you met in Alberta.” Logan retained a neutral expression. At the mentioning of Marie, he realized the seriousness of the subject. “She also told us the reaction you initially made when she first asked for you to take her.” She looked away for a moment then her eyes settled back onto him, “What made you change your mind?”

A pressed breath blew out of his lips at he considered the weight of he question. “Ya really know how ta lay it on a guy,” he said to her, his mind still wheeling over her words. For a long time he didn’t say anything, eventually he just settled with, “Can’t tell ya.”

At this she frowned. Of all the responses she was expected, that was the last one on her list. “You don’t want me to know? Or you don’t know your self?” Ororo pressed on.

Logan frowned. He then slid to the edge of the bed so his legs fell over the side. For a minute Ororo thought he was going to get up and leave but then he just sat there motionless. He then turned to her a deeply troubled look dwelled on his face, “Ta be honest ‘Ro, it’s a lil bit of both,” he told her truthfully. Ororo then crept alongside of him. Their shoulders touched briefly. For some reason the tiny bit of contact was pleasing to him before he continued, “I honestly can’t tell ya, how long I was driftin’ in Alberta. The cage fightin’ was kid stuff,” he explained, “It was good fer a quick buck, plus it taught people ta back off an’ leave me alone,” he frowned again, “Fer a while I thought that’s all I wanted. Ever since tha adamantium I didn’t want anyone close ta me.”

Ororo watched him as he continued his explanation. She could see the tension building within him. There wasn’t anything more she wanted to do to relieve him of the strain, but she decided it might be more important to press for the source instead, “But why?” she asked him, unable to grasped why he would want to deliberately keep people away.

Logan rang his thick fingers along his jaw. He then shook his head, “Ya, gotta understand somethin’ ‘Ro. When a man gets pushed to tha edge of darkness, it ain’t that it’s possible fer some o’ that darkness to seep in, it does seep in.” Ororo continued to stare at him, obviously confused about what he was referring to. “There’s somethin’ inside me,” he stated while placing his hand over his chest, “Somethin’ dark that I ain’t got no control over,” his eyes narrowed as almost like a dark ominous cloud started to roll over him, “I can’t tell ya all tha things that happened to me when I was in that place, but all tha rage, tha anger o’ what happened built it. Ever since that night it’s been wit me, tryin’ ta clawin’ it’s way out. I calls it tha Beast.”

His words instantly sparked her memory from the events from the Danger Room the previous morning. His eyes then where different then they were now. They were wild, vacant almost like some wild beast. She understood now. This was the secret he was holding inside of himself. This was why he wanted to push everyone away from him.

“But ta answer yer question,” he began again, “Guess I finally got tired of lookin’ in tha mirror an’ never likin’ the face I saw,” Logan then looked away, “An’ its hard sometimes when she’s lookin’ at me,” he sighed, “It’s kinda like tha way you are right now.”

Ororo looked to him slightly puzzled. Unsure of what exactly she was doing that was wrong. “Like what?”

“Like I’m worth somethin’,” he simply uttered back.

“Logan…” Ororo softened as her hands caressed his face.

“Don’t…” he barked out curtly, while removing her hand, “’Ro, I know what I am. I know what they made me to be,” he stated resolutely, “Ain’t nothin’ that you or Chuck can do ‘bout that.”

At this the Windrider frown, angered that he could put so little faith in them and in himself. “What is it that you think you are?”

Instead of answering her Logan moved; he lightly brushed along the side of her lip with the back of his hand with the softest touch that it almost could have been a kiss. On instinct her eyes closed almost dream-like from such a gentle gesture. “Ya so damn beautiful,” he whispered to her suddenly, “Nearly knocked me off my feet tha first time I saw ya,” he openly admitted. He then deeply sighed, “But I ain’t got no right being here with ya. Touching ya wit these hands. There are so much blood on ‘em, I can’t ever get ‘em clean.”

Moving before she even realized it, Ororo spun her arms around him pulling him in close. She brushed her forehead against his as he looked away from her almost as if ashamed, “Ya, know I always thought I was prob’bly a good man once,” he began again, “Someone well known, someone respected. Someone people relied on,” he drifted off, “Before tha Beast, before tha claws, just an ordinary smo, just tryin’ to make a livin’,” he paused in his breath as if he was secretly mourning the life that was never to be his, “I think I was a good man once,” he said again, “But now…”

She frowned while turning to him, “But now, what?”

Logan just closed his eyes. The weariness of the many decades he’s lived suddenly weighed his body down. His large hands wiped over his face while his mind was still brooding over so many dark thoughts. “I don’t’ know,” he shook his head dejectedly; “Maybe I shouldn’t be here wit you, tha kids, Marie,” his voice was solemn and bleak.

Silence reigned within the loft for sometime. Then Ororo’s rich voice spoke up, “You know what I think?”

His gray eyes went to her, “No…”

Taking liberties she didn’t know she had, Ororo pushed him back onto the mattress while she pressed herself against him. Her weight was practically nothing; his hands instinctively went up to encircled to her narrow waist as he looked up to her. The space between them was mere inches. More than once Logan’s eyes darted to those soft plump lips that were till she placed her delicate hands on either side of his face, so he could look nowhere but into her eyes. “I think,” she began softly, “I think you belong here most of all,” she ended by dropping down, her lips lightly brushing against his.

OoOoOo

“Logan?”

“Hmm?”

“I still see a good man…”

OoOoOo
Stark Industry Laboratories
Seattle, Washington
During the same time…

If there ever was something that Jonathan Silvercloud loved most it was a great puzzle. As a man of science he was naturally inquisitive by nature, meaning early on he had to find out the meaning to every single thing in his sights, which drove his parents nuts on several occasions from what they keep telling him. Basically, anything that had him baffled for any stretch of time, he felt a sort of enjoyment from.

To be honest he was a big geek. But he didn’t mind that, since he was in charge of one of the major weapons and research developers on the planet. So all those books and extra classes he took back in Xavier’s school, not to mention other courses he picked up along the way paid off in the long run.

He briefly wondered if it his love of puzzles stemmed from his mutation. Now that would be a topic to toss around with Hank the next time he saw him.

But anyway back to puzzles. Jonathan loved them. But he didn’t love it when it came to his company, which was what he was facing right now. For the last eights hours, where he should have been sleeping so he could get up for the flight he had in two hours to meet with Tony, instead he was in his office on his terminal dealing with this slight inconsistency. See the problem was that during the attacks that recently happened to his facility; one of the major projects his researchers were working on was destroyed.

Now Jonathan… Eh…lets not be so formal. Now, Forge being the responsible businessman that he was, decided to take it upon himself to inform his client of the project’s present state. Destroyed. Normally he would have had one of his numerous assistances take care of the task, but with all the commotion from the attacks, the reconstruction, and the memorial service, had him up for longer hours than he normally took. One more medial task on his plate wasn’t a big deal.

Only problem was it was proving to be anything but medial. It seems that a man named Gregory Bennett headed the research facility that originally contracted for the Orion project. And the problem with that was through about four hours of digging and closed door researching proved that Gregory Bennett was actually the name of a coal miner from Idaho that apparently died ten years ago, which therefore produced said puzzle.

So down the rabbit hole Forge went, following the different trails and false names on his crusade to get to the bottom of this little mystery and after eight and half hours and three minutes it seems he finally made a breakthrough. The Cheyenne man stared at his computer screen at the single name that continued to blink on his flatscreen monitor.

“Well, hello. This is interesting…” he said to himself. Both pleased and a bit disappointed. Pleased because he finally solved this puzzle and disappointed because apparently he was going to have to reschedule his appointment with Tony, it seems he was going to be making a slight detour to Westchester instead.

To be continued…





You must login () to review.