Chapter 12: Family

Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
Early Morning…

Ororo closed the patio door behind her as she walked back inside, literally bringing in the sunshine with her.

A brief mental caress signaled Jean’s presence before the young Doctor walked into the kitchen. Draped in a bright green halter-top with some beige Capri pants that perfectly showcased her slender legs, the redhead seemed ready to take on the whole world. She briefly glanced at Ororo looking regal and beautiful as usual in her white robe and her thick pure white hair fanning all around her. The former goddess calmly sipped from a cup of tea while pursing over some schoolwork.

“Morning ‘Roro,” Jean greeted while lightly brushing pass her, heading towards the cupboards to make a light breakfast. Toast, jam, eggs, and some coffee sounded like a nice way to start the day. She took a brief glance at the brilliant rays of sunlight piercing through with not a cloud in the open blue sky. “It looks gorgeous outside,” the doctor complimented before turning to her friend; “You’re doing?” she inquired.

Ororo didn’t respond, but she did briefly glance up sending the other woman a knowing look before returning to her paperwork and Jean didn’t think anything more about it. It was great that her friend was in such a good mode. After all the craziness of yesterday, she was glad that somebody was… Jean then paused, with an afterthought she took another glance outside.

A deep frown adorned her lovely face when she noticed the absence of a certain feral person. “Where’s Logan?” Jean asked, deeply concerned. She had hoped the night’s sleep would have done the anguished man some good, but now she wasn’t as sure. She then mentally contacted the Professor about her fears. Strangely enough, the older man cordially wished her a “Good morning,” and replied simply that the mattered had been well handled.

“He’s sleeping…” Ororo returned off-handedly, which drew Jean back to their conversation. The doctor curiously observed her long time friend who now was calmly making a few corrections to a student’s work with a red pen.

“Really?” Jean was thrown back slightly by the affirmation and the fact Ororo stated it so confidently. But then she released a breath of relief. “I just went to his room before and it was empty,” she called back over her shoulder, while making her way back to the stairs, “I thought he was still outside or maybe even left,” she finished just as her foot hit the first step.

Ororo took another long sip of her tea, delaying the proverbial can of worms she was about to open and then finally said, “He didn’t sleep in his room last night,” she continued with such calm neutrality that it almost surprised her, “He’s upstairs in the loft.”

At hearing that Jean paused in mid-stride. She paused then turned about-face. “‘Ro~ro,” Jean called in a very pleasant singsong voice, moments before she waltzed back into the room, “Why was Logan staying in your room?” she inquired while taking the seat right across from her not-so innocent friend.

Ororo didn’t spare a comment. Her blue eyes briefly looked up, flicking to Jean’s for a moment before returning to her paperwork as well as taking another long sip from her tea. Jean eyes widen at the implications, “Oh you bitch!” Jean cheered, followed with a hoot. She then darted around the table to snatching up the seat directly next to Ororo. She took the African woman’s hands in her own. “I want details! Juicy, sordid, lustful details!” she pried, her green eyes bright and energetic.

“Jean, nothing happen,” Ororo calmly assured her friend with the obviously vivid imagination.

“What?” the doctor drew back, “You spend the night with the man that’s like ‘hot sex’ on two hairy legs and you dare to tell me nothing happened?” she accused.

“Nothing happened,” Ororo said again more firmly. She then deeply sighed. A somber look was shed the psychic’s way, “Jean, he went through so much yesterday,” she stated, all playfulness gone, “More than anyone should have to bear. I just didn’t want him to feel like within this big house he had to go through all of this alone.”

Jean eyes soften as if taking in her friend’s appearance for the first time. “You really like him don’t you? And don’t say this is just the mother hen in you,” she quickly added before Ororo could refute it. Instead the Windrider opted to remain silent, which meant Jean had to pull out the big guns. “Well, if you won’t talk ‘suppose I could go ask Studley Do-Right instead,” she threatened while rising to her feet.

At the thought of Jean’s intervention, Ororo latched onto the doctor’s arm with surprising strength, “Jean, I love you like a sister and if you care about me at all, then please don’t press this.” The sincerity wielded in the Ororo’s eyes was so sobering, that Jean fell back down into her chair. “When the time is right I’ll be able to fill you in more. But at the moment a bit of privacy is what he really needs now.”

Seeing the genuine concern in Ororo’s blue eyes, forced all thoughts of the ‘major gossip’ from Jean’s head. She bit her lip in defeat, “Ok…” she sadly muttered, “But you owe me girl,” Jean warned, “There is gonna be a big throwdown with a tub of Ben and Jerry’s when you’re ready to spill.”

A velvet laugh fell from Ororo’s lips, “I’m look forward to it.” And she truly was.

Jean smiled evenly till she spotted the clock on the microwave. “Oh shoot,” she cried, “I have a class in twenty minutes,” the doctor stated while picking up the remains of her breakfast. “Bye, ‘Roro, see you at lunch,” she called back; although the sound was a bit muffled with the piece of toast that was tucked between her lips.

Ororo smiled as she watched her friend depart. After a moment of reflection, she sighed, “That went a lot smoother than I thought it would,” she said out loud. Ororo then promptly returned to the last bit of her schoolwork. This day her first class started in another two hours, so she’d have enough time to shower, get dressed, and still be ready for when the first of her students walked in.

For a moment her thoughts fled to Logan again and she couldn’t help the bright smile that those thoughts brought. He was still very deeply asleep when she left him. She’d hate to have to wake him, but she wasn't sure how she’d move about her room without waking him, especially with his senses.

Then a for a brief moment a rogue thought of a very interesting way of waking him came to her, that was till she heard a female chime-chine mental voice of Jean Grey singing in her head, ‘Ororo and Logan sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G…’ The Windrider sighed deeply before thumping her head down onto the table.

Today was going to be a long day.

OoOoOo

Meanwhile…

“Ro~gee! Wakey, wakey!!!” the exuberant Jubilation Lee chimed in, while poking her head around the corner. A dismal frown was adorned on the Asian girl’s face as she saw that her southern-bred pal was still in her PJs, lying in bed. Refusing to let that little detail keep her down Jubilee restored her smile. “Come on, it’s chow time!” she cheered while marching into the room, hoping to entice the girl or drag her out of bed if need be. That was before she was soundly ‘thwacked’ on the head from behind. “OW!” she complained while turning to the frowning face of Katherine Pryde.

The Jewish brown haired girl crossed her arms while glaring at Jubilee. “Hey, leave her alone,” Kitty, whispered pleadingly, “She’s had a rough night…”

Instantly Jubilee remembered yesterday when they all arrived back from Harry’s. There was a buzz of talk running around all of the Mansion. News of the X-Men’s encounter in Seattle spread like wildfire. While none of the kids heard all of the details, a fact the Professor and the rest of the adult staff took great lengths to ensure, some news did leak out. And as soon as Rogue heard the words, “Logan” and “hurt” she bolted out from the rest of them in search of her beloved savior.

Jubilee’s face softened as recollection set in. She allowed Kitty to wheel her back out of the room as she continued to think. Jubilee knew that Kitty thought she was totally thoughtless sometimes and it was true she did have her moments of scatterbrain-ness, which often caused her to act without thinking things through. But it didn’t mean she was completely insensitive and didn’t consider other people’s feelings. It was just apart of who she was. If something terrible happened yesterday she felt that the new day was a fresh chance to make it like all the bad stuff from before never happened.

Firmly remembering that, Jubilee paused in her step. She then raced back into their bedroom and flung the door open, “Hey Rogue, we’ll bring you something back,” she agreed, still talking to the girl’s back. She then slyly added, “I’ll make sure Kitty doesn’t eat everything!”

“Shut up, Jubilee!” Kitty burst in just as Jubilee made her escape; cackling all the way. “Arrrrrgh!!!” she ruffled her hair in frustration. She would kill that girl, if she didn’t love her so much. Kitty then stopped dead when she looked at herself in the mirror. Realized that the hair she just spent an hour getting to sit just perfect was now totally undone. The girl let out small anguished cry. She was supposed to model for some figure drawings for Peter today and now everything was ruined.

Kitty then took in another deep relaxing breath, realizing it wasn’t the end of the world. She then looked over to her friend Rogue and realized her own problems seemed trivial in comparison. “We’ll bring you a plate,” the brown haired girl said, while closing the door behind her, “I hope you feel better…”

OoOoOo

Marie tightly pulled the edge of her blanket over her head, almost as if the fabric itself could shield out all the terrors of the world. Tears fell from her eyes in continuous streams as she continued to remember the scene from last night. She could recall the deafening sound of her heart breaking, the throbbing pain that echoed inside her body, making her unable to think of anything else. And the continuous southern drawl voice inside of her head that constantly said, ‘Ah, told ye so, Baby-girl. Ah, told ye so…’

OoOoOo

Ororo’s Loft
Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
Twenty minutes later…

Blissful serenity is what Logan felt as he started to crawl his way back to the waking world. His nose first identified the define smell of sandalwood that was in the foreground in the scene of a mild rainstorm, instead of the usual hint of cigars and the cowhide leather from his Stetson. A fact that meant he wasn’t in his room. The notion strangely enough didn’t alarm him, fore although Logan might have rested hundreds of times during the nights of his many decades in Alberta, but last night was the first night he ever truly slept.

He was at peace, a peace that he’s sorely sought long and hard for. So he selfishly wanted to enjoy the sensation just a little while longer. It was only when he reached for a soft warm body that wasn’t there, did he finally push away from the dream world. There he was greeted by a warm baritone voice, “Good morning Logan…”

Logan blinked several times as he saw the wizen face of Charles Xavier parked alongside Ro’s bed, dressed as usually in an impeccable blue tailored suit. “Somethin’ wrong?” he inquired while wearily rubbing his eyes, granted Xavier didn’t doubt the feral mutant’s alertness to his surroundings. “Is Marie a’right?” his voice continued to build strength, “‘Ro? Jeannie? Tha kids?” He continued to mentally rattle off potential targets attackers might focus from his…

What exactly were they all to him anyway?

“No,” Charles smiled warmly, “although I think they would be happy to know that you were very concerned.”

Logan’s dark eyebrows narrowed together at that particular response, “Why wouldn’t I be?”

A knowingly look was returned his way. “Why indeed?” Xavier responded lightly; his smile seemed to set even deeper. It was as if the old man was in on something that he clearly wasn’t going to reveal. Either way Logan wasn’t bothered. Charles then cleared his throat, “No, I honestly was wondering about you. How are you doing?” his bright blue eyes filled with concern as they settled on the younger man.

A long yawn that had some resemblance to a roar came from Logan’s throat as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed. “I ain’t gonna break Chuck, if that’s what ya worried ‘bout.” the Canadian mutant replied candidly. His thick hand came up to scratch his belly.

Another smile seemed to replace the first one on Charles face as he replied, “No, I no longer have that fear,” the older man then dared to add, “And if it did occur, I believe there would be someone better qualified to help.”

Logan frowned again while getting up. He stomped across the sandalwood floor, his steel gray eyes cut over to Xavier who still seemed extremely pleased with himself, “Ye’re a nosy old man, ya know that Chuck,” he barked out indignantly, his thick burly arms crossed underneath him.

Instead of upsetting him, Charles let out a throaty laugh, “I’m a psychic Logan,” Xavier stated frankly while wiping away a tear, “I’m afraid a bit of curiosity comes with the territory,” the older man confessed. He then held a more direct look while peering at feral mutant, “Especially when it’s met with concern with the happenings of my family.”

“Family huh?” the Canadian grumbled seemingly not convinced, “Hmph… When was I included inta that?”

“When indeed?” Xavier returned, his knowing smile returning as well, “Logan, since you seemed to have a better handle onto everything that has occurred, would you mind coming to my study. There are a few questions I would like to ask about your familiarity in the tragedy that occurred in Seattle.”

The short stocky man considered Xavier’s request for a moment. He then nodded, seeing no real harm. “Ya, mind if I get a shower first?” he only asked.

“Certainly,” Charles nodded while heading towards the wheelchair lift that was stationed by a side passage of the loft. A fact that Logan just now took note of. “I’ll be waiting in my study when you are ready.”

OoOoOo

Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
An hour or so later…

Silently and alone, Marie crept through the voluminous hallways of the Xavier mansion. She had already missed her first class of the day because she stayed in bed. But eventually she decided that she could only feel sorry for herself for so long, so she finally dragged herself out of her room. Her thoughts now were of finding Logan. He had to explain. What she saw last night, there had to have been some sort of mistake. There had to have been some reason.

The problem was finding him. She had just came from checking his room but it appeared as though he hadn’t slept in it at all, a fact that didn’t settle the young teenage girl’s fears in the slightest.

Marie was about to run up the grand staircase to search the adult faculty wing, when she drew up short. Her brown eyes narrowed sharply as she spotted Miss. Monroe approaching from the other end of the hallway. The radiant African woman was dressed in a white spaghetti-strap top with a wrap around golden floral pattern skirt that practically flaunted those killer legs of hers. Not to mention a cute pair of white and gold thong sandals adorned to her feet.

At seeing her, Marie was at a total lost. The southern girl didn’t know how she could compete with such a woman. She didn’t even know how to begin.

“Heya, darlin’,” a well of emotion seemed to ignite inside of Marie after hearing the familiar raspy voice. That joy ended when she realized its sediment wasn’t directed to her.

OoOoOo

Ororo instantly brighten when she saw Logan descending from the stairs. She had missed him previously when she finally returned to her loft to get ready. For a fleeting moment she had the notion to go seek him out to find out how he was doing. The former goddess wasn’t a fool to believe that one night of intimacy would be enough to erase all the woes that seemed to be forever mounting on his shoulders. But at least she felt he knew he had someone to turn to. And she would even be truthful to herself and admit that she did enjoy being with him. A lot.

She liked how he made her feel and she liked how she was when he was around her. Free. To put it into a single word, she felt free last night. Not that she ever believed she was a prisoner to her emotions, but she did feel bound by them from time to time. There were so many roles she had taken in her life; teacher, X-Man, surrogate mother, best friend, and confidant. There were so many in fact; that she rarely found time to just be Ororo Monroe. But last night, with him she found that person again.

Logan’s critical eyes fell along the seductive curves of her body, making her tingle from such interest. She briefly, but tried to not make it apparent, took in his appearance. A black tank top hung loosely from his wide sinewy frame. She noticed a thin sheet of moisture clung to lightly tanned skin of his broad chest and thick hairy arms, foretelling that he previously just stepped out the shower, a fact that made her heart flutter. Snug-fit jeans with a nice pair of dark brown cowboy boots, topped with his well-worn Stetson completed his rustic picture.

The Wolverine tipped the brim of his hat up as he continued to slowly prowl around her, all of his movements betraying that silent predator’s grace he possessed. His eyes fondly noting the swish of her skirt along her legs as she moved. He let out a low growl, “Ya, look good enough ta eat, ‘Ro.” And goddess why did that statement instantly draw such heated thoughts. She realized in that moment that this man was going to be the end of her, she was certain.

“I can certainly tell you are feeling better,” she greeted him with a bright voice, which was more even than what she was feeling. She softly sighed as she allowed him to pull her in close, confronting her with the brick wall that was his chest.

A small smile parted her lips as his whiskered cheek nuzzled against her neck, tickling her. “Right as rain,” he murmured confidently, while seeking out her throat. “I got you ta thank,” he confessed.

Ororo’s mouth opened, letting out a silent cry as Logan’s lips played murder along her neck. “Anytime…” she welcomed in earnest. An ivory eyebrow rose slightly. It seemed his devilish lips found a particularly pleasing area of amusement.

There was so much she wanted to say to him. She had believed that when the moment arrived when next they met everything would just come to her right on the spot. Now that the opportunity presented it self, she found that she was at a complete lost. Not to mention pleasingly distracted. The lulling comfort from last night was returning and she didn’t know if that was a bad thing. “Logan, about last night…”

Hearing that statement Logan drew back, but his hands still fell, finding their way to her slender waist. “Look ‘Ro, I can’t say, I’m any good at these types o’ things. Last night was great,” he explained truthfully. He then firmly shook his head, “But I won’t let that fool me inta thinkin’ there somethin’ here that isn’t,” he then paused for a moment before continuing, “I mean I don’t wanna bring nothin’ on ya that ya don’t want.”

Devious sapphire blue eyes met his gravely serious gray ones, charming them for a moment before Ororo allowed a small smile to cross her full lips. “And what if I do… want?” she asked him coyly.

Logan’s face nearly split in half from the grin he was sporting from her response. “Well, then I’m willin’ ta go as fast or as slow as ya want darlin’,” he returned, gray eyes staring into sapphire blue ones.

“That is good to hear,” Ororo stated huskily before wrapping her arms around the back of his head and pulling him into such a smothering kiss that it made her own head spin. Their breaths were hot, forced. Ororo gasped as if breathless, she didn’t even realize when he started to kiss her back till she let out a low throaty moan from trying to negotiate his tongue within her mouth. Feeling a need to not be undone, Ororo fingers laced through his thick dark mane as she pulled him closer to her, returning his intensity with some of her own.

Logan broke apart a moment later; “Shhhhhit!” he growled through clenched teeth, lust-filled eyes still locked onto her, “Good answer, darlin’,” he admitted while slowly sliding his hands up and down her lower back.

Ororo smiled at him, looking like the cat that just caught a big ol’ fat canary. “I try…” she grinned, her forehead brushing against his. She then tipped forward, their lips merely an inch apart seeking another supple sample. That was till she heard a distinct male mental voice clearing his throat in her head, making her break apart from Logan as if she just got caught red-handed.

Logan looked at her curiously, noticing the sudden change that took over her, “What’s wrong?”

There was a moment’s pause where Ororo didn’t answer. Her gaze went far way as if she was in another place. Then all at once she broke out of the trance, her eyes returning to him. “It seems you have a prior engagement,” she stated, her cheeks still a bit flush.

For a moment Logan’s eyebrows narrowed at her in confusion. Then after another minute he remembered his appointment with Xavier. “Great timin’, Chuck,” he grumbled under his breath, as well as a few other choice words that Ororo wouldn’t ever dare to repeat.

She just smiled at him, “Its ok, I have class…” the former goddess then paused as she flipped her wrist over to look at her watch. “Oh, Right now!” she gasped, while hurrying off. “Bye Logan,” she tossed over her shoulder, the heels of her sandals clicking rapidly underneath her as she moved. “Talk to you later…”

OoOoOo

A brief smile touched Logan’s lips as he watched Ororo go. Slyly he allowed his gaze to fall lower watching the pleasant sway of her hips in that skirt, not to mention the hypnotic swish her round curvaceous rear. He shook his head. That woman was going to be the end of him, he was sure of it.

Logan dropped his Stetson down low over his brow and continued moving down the hall. He momentarily caught the whiff of sunflowers, before he spotted Marie rounding the corner almost if the girl was waiting for him. She smiled brightly to him a gesture that he couldn’t help but copy. “So when we gonna get back on tha road?” she asked him matter-of-factly, while falling instep with him.

The question threw the Canadian feral for a loop for a second. He wasn’t sure if she was pulling his leg or not, till he spotted the dead-set look she was giving him with her chocolate brown eyes. “I thought ya liked it here,” he returned evenly enough, trying not to belay the surprise in his voice.

She looked around briefly as if bored before saying, “It’s ok, fer a school an’ all,” then her eyes returned to him, “But ya still owe me a trip tah Anchorage, Sugah,” she resolved while latching onto his arm.

Logan set his jaw as he considered her words. He didn’t understand where this new idea of leaving came from. As far as he knew it she loved the mansion, even more than the house where she grew up. “Don’t know,” he returned causally, his mind still going into overdrive, “It’s startin’ ta grow on me,” he tried to keep his voice light and indifferent, although there was a faint hint of fondness there.

Marie then whirled around on him. A sharp knowing grin on her face as she turned to her friend, “Ye mean, Miss Monroe is startin’ to grow on ye,” she pointed out.

Logan’s jaw dropped at the pointed comment from the girl, he then narrowed his eyes, “Smart ass…”

A smile briefly touched Marie’s face as she continued walking on without him. She swung her gloved hands back and forth, just as causally as if they were strolling through a park. “Don’t see whatcha see in her anyway?” she uncaringly tossed back over her shoulder at him.

At that Logan cocked an eyebrow at her, his eyes for moment zero in on her. For just an instant she seemed to squirm under his intense scrutiny but then she schooled her face into a neutral expression as if the slip never occurred. Either way, things were starting to make sense. “If I didn’t know any better Marie, I’d say ya were a lil’ jealous,” he added casually, trying to gauge her response.

Marie laughed loudly at him as if the suggestion itself was the most preposterous she thing she had ever heard. “Please, Sugah,” the southern girl, rolled her eyes dramatically, “Ah, just kinda missed when it was jus tha two o’ us that’s all,” she commented, trying fuel enough sincerity into her voice to fool him.

Logan regarded her for a long time. He could sense the conflicted emotions brewing from the girl. Whatever the cause jealousy or whatever, she was upset over something and he was now inclined to find out. After sometime he just nodded his head, “We’ll talk ‘bout it later,” his voice was more firm, more serious than before, “Chuck wants ta see me, ‘bout what happened in Seattle.”

Marie nodded and let him go, but not before she gave him the biggest hug her a hundred and fifteen pound body could muster. He equally returned her embrace and automatically the warmth and security that his touch brought soothed her body. Silently, quieting the fears she built up inside of her, till finally they parted and she was left alone again.

As Marie watched him leave, she had one thought on her mind, the faster she got him away from Mrs. Monroe the better.

OoOoOo

Quietly, Marie continued to wander the halls of the mansion as a prisoner to her own thoughts. She had missed her second morning class and was working on missing her third, but she didn’t care. She had so much weighing on her mind at the moment that nothing else seemed to matter. A storm of her emotions was building larger and larger inside of her and she knew she couldn’t hold it in check any longer.

Everything seemed to be coming undone. The tide she constantly held back was slowly coming unraveled and that was when his voice came to her again. “Told ye baby-girl…” a male southern drawl voice sounded to her.

“Shut up…” Marie mumbled out loud. The boots on her feet stomping loudly underneath her as she increased her pace, almost as if she was trying to out run the voice itself. But she never can.

“He’s gonna leave ye…” the voice said again.

“Shut up.”

“He’s gonna leave ye, because ye ain’t worth shit.”

“Shut up!” Rogue yelled while turning around to face the empty room.

“I’m tha o’ly one that cares fer ye baby-girl.”

“Shut up!” Marie shouted while whirling around again as if she moved fast enough, she’d be able to catch the person that wasn’t there, “Ye’re not real!” she continued to profess, “Ye’re jus a voice ‘n mah head. Ye’re not real!”

The voice deeply chuckled at that one. Taking amusement in the fact that his laughter sent chills down her spine, “Keep tellin’ ye’self that sweetie…”

“QUIET!” Marie shrieked at the top of her lungs, her hands overtop of her ears and her eyes tightly clenched shut, crouching down into a little ball as if she was shutting the whole world off from her as well.

“Rogue?” a new voice asked in warm sincerity.

At hearing her name Marie turned to see the tall lean form of Robert Drake standing before her, an open expression of worry on his face. “Bobby?” she asked looking to him questionably, unsure of this was reality or not.

The boy took another step closer placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. Concern etched on every inch of his boyish face as he looked down to the southern girl, “Is everything ok?” Drake then looked around as if looking for another person, “I thought I heard you talking to someone.”

Rogue just shook her head. “Ah’m fine,” she said, her voice sounding more strong, more surer by the second, “Its just,” she looked away for a moment, then looked back to him, “…Fine.”

Bobby didn’t look convinced. The scene he stumbled on was anything but fine. “You sure?” The two of them weren’t exactly close, a fact he really wanted to remedy. But if someone were bothering her, he’d be damn sure to give them hell to pay.

The southern girl then somehow produced a bright smile. “Yea, thanks,” she nodded, her white bangs bobbing with her head.

Bobby regarded her for a moment then let out a breath. “Well that’s part one of my mission,” he commented, while slinging his hands into his pockets.

The southern girl looked to him puzzled, “Paht one?”

“Yep,” the lanky boy nodded, “And now this is part two,” he informed her. Then without any reason or warning, he unceremoniously scoped up the southern girl and tossed her over his shoulder.

“Bobby!!!” Rogue screeched as he pitched her forward and back slightly, adjusting to her lightweight. The world tumbled upside down in for her, which also indirectly gave the girl a view of the boy’s firm backside. Her face was a flushed red and not only from embarrassment, “What’re ye doin’!?!” she cried.

“Can’t talk now,” Drake droned out in a military tone, “Might compromise the mission,” which was the last thing he said before he started moving out of the room with his estranged cargo.

OoOoOo

Through the halls of the Xavier Mansion Robert Drake went carrying the excited and kicking southern gal, Rogue over his shoulders. Several eyes drew their way to the bizarre pair every so often, but no one commented. Frankly, in Mutant High, such a sight was almost…normal.

The young mutant boy, Artie paused in the middle of the hallway while observing the peculiar duo and thus came to the conclusion, “Teenagers are weird,” he stated bluntly before hurrying up to Mr. Summers’ class.

OoOoOo

Game Room
Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
Five minutes later…

At the entrance of the Xavier mansion’s game room, Robert Drake also known as Bobby to all of his friends, suddenly appeared in the doorway. The young teenage boy was calm and collect, totally ignoring the dangling blue jean-clad legs in front of him that lead to the nice cute little butt of his cargo, he instead continue to look around the room.

Said package happened to be Marie D'Ancanto better known to her friends as Rogue. The southern girl hailing from Mississippi, had given up on scrambling and pleading with her captor to release her, after she realized the diligence he had to his task and decided to savor the remaining shreds of her dignity and just quietly allowed him to tow her to wherever destination his deranged mind had in store. She instead was firmly set on giving him two to fifteen pieces of her mind before the day was through. Not to mention making him limp for the rest of the week.

Bobby ceased his searching, as it appeared he found what he was looking for and continued to move within the Game Room. Several eyes within the room paused from their activities as Bobby continued in his trek till he was standing in front of Jubilee with Kitty Pryde flanking her left.

Drake then drew up short and gently deposited Rogue onto her feet in front of the two girls. Rogue, now that she was free, promptly slugged Bobby in his arm, which he soundly shrugged off with a low grunt. The southern girl then flicked brown eye daggers to her so-called-friends, who more than likely were responsible for her treatment.

“First class Officer Robert Drake reporting in. Mission was a success,” Bobby finished, while saluting to his commanding officer.

Jubilee stiffly returned his salute then clasped her hands behind her back as she began to address him, which was an interesting sight since the boy dwarfed the girl by nearly a foot. “Well done, Drake,” she congratulated him, “Keep this up and you’ll make Private in no time,” she added while motioning him to take his leave.

Bobby just grinned, giving the diminutive girl another stiff salute, since he apparently was dismissed. His eyes then fell over to Rogue, briefly giving her a little wink, before he left to join John in a game of foosball.

Rogue decided to ignore the bubbling sensation that buzzed inside of her whenever she was around that boy and then quickly wheeled around to the two conspiring girls, brown eyes still very perturbed. “‘Ey, what gives?” she demanded, looking to Pryde, who clearly was the only sane one.

“We were worried about you,” Kitty replied genuinely.

“Yea, so I sent Saving Private Bobby over there to rescue you,” Jubilee said while motioning over to Drake, who promptly waved his hand to them before returning to his game.

Kitty then closed in leading Rogue over to a quiet corner so that they could have some privacy. She motioned over to some seats they had there. “So tell us,” she started while looking to the southern belle, “What’s going on?”

“Yeah, chica,” Jubilee piped in while plopping down in the adjacent chair, “We’re not taking no for an answer.”

Marie looked on to the two girls before her. Both of them held looks of fierce loyalty and concern. She realized in that instant that till the day that she died these two would somehow always be there for her. The notion automatically made Marie feel bad from shutting the two of them out. Suddenly everything she was holding inside finally came out. Rogue flung her arms both girls, who instantly responded to the embrace. Through choked sobs, she mumbled, “Ah, caught Logan with Storm last night.”

Kitty’s brown eyes widen in surprise, “Logan and Ororo? Really?” For a fleeting second Kitty’s brown eyes danced at the possibility of a blossoming romance between the two seemingly unlikely people. Ororo, the beautiful regal woman paired with Logan, the mysterious stranger with the bad boy rep and the intense stare. This was the type of stuff that Kitty often read about in all of her romance novels. When Katherine noticed the crestfallen expression on Rogue’s face, she realized that the news wasn’t as well thought of.

The southern girl nodded, “Last night, Ah was so worried ‘bout Logan that Ah couldn’t sleep. Ah, crept back downstairs tryin’ again tah get ‘im tah come back in, when Ah heard ‘em in tha kitchen…”

“Oh, wow…” Jubilee cried in disbelieve, “I mean wow,” she said again, as her thoughts went to the statuesque African woman. “Ororo…she’s hot and I don’t mean, like American Idol hot. I mean Miss Universe meets Playmate of the year hot,” Jubilee stated still in shock. The Asian girl then frowned mournfully, “That’s some tough competition, cookie.”

“Ah know, Ah know…” Rogue drearily replied.

Jubilee and Kitty took a minute to send a look to each other, before they turned their attention back to Rogue. “Don’t worry,” Kitty tried to encourage her, while giving the girl a big hug, “We’ll think of something.”

“Yea,” Jubilee agreed, while taking on the other side of the Rogue sandwich, “Whatever happens we got yer back.”

OoOoOo

Headmaster’s Suite
Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
Meanwhile…

Logan stood in front of the two oak doors that lead into Charles Xavier’s study. The Canadian’s large hand steady rose to knock when he heard, “Come right in Logan…”

The Wolverine frowned for a moment, his gray eyes drilling holes into the door as if it betrayed him. He then carelessly swung the door open and stomped right inside. “Nice trick,” he muttered to Charles who was patiently waiting behind his desk. “Thought ya couldn’t do that wit me,” Logan commented, concealing his mild astonishment at Charles detecting his presence. As a former professionally trained killer that prided himself on being able to move in and out of places undetected, it was unnerving to have someone so readily read his movements.

Xavier briefly looked to the feral mutant before starting, “Well, you are correct in your assessment that I cannot read your thoughts,” Charles began, “But I have noticed you posses a certain voidance of space, so to speak,” he said lightly, hoping not to lose the man on the concept, “Keeping that in mind it then becomes simple task of deduction to determine your identity.”

Logan chewed on the inside of his cheek, digesting what the world-renown psychic was telling him. “Right…” Logan eyed the elder man shrilly, still not buying the story fully. But he then shook the notion aside, wanting to change the subject, not to mention get to the heart of the matter. “Well ya got me here, Chuck. Whatcha wanna talk ‘bout?”

“Have a seat Logan,” Xavier offered while motioning to the chairs in front of him. Logan considered them for a moment then unceremoniously plotted down into one of them. He then crossed his arms firmly in front of him, while keeping a hard as steel face. Xavier eased forward in his wheelchair, steepling his fingers together on top of his desk as he began to speak, “There are of course questions I have about what occurred yesterday. And I’m sure you have questions of your own. It is my hopes that the two of us will be able find the answers together.”

Logan continued to drill his gray eyes into the older man, unimpeded, unaffected…As if the words Xavier just spoke didn’t have any bearing on him what so ever. Charles frowned, coming to the realization that maybe this would be a harder task to tackle than he originally believed. “We don’t have to talk about that if you don’t want to,” the bald man conceded, while thinking of some other middle ground the two could reach.

He needn’t bother with the effort. Logan’s thick hand came up stroking over his whiskered chin before finally replying, “Nah, that’s ok. ‘Ro’s heard most of the story,” he informed the older man, “But I think ya have a right to know,” he nodded truthfully. His eyes then sharpen, “Then ya can decide.”

Charles didn’t even hide the mask of confusion etched onto his face from the other man’s words. “Decide on what?” he inquired.

Logan’s wide frame shifted back in his seat before he grimly returned, “If ya want me ta stay here any longer.”

Xavier shook his head while continuing to look at the deeply misguided mutant before him. “Logan, I don’t know what you perceive this to be, but you’re not being placed on trial here,” Xavier strongly retorted. The older man didn’t know what else he could say that would finally relax the Wolverine’s guard.

Responding, Logan raised a hand up as if to still any of Charles’ judgment for the moment. “Jus hear my piece first, Chuck,” he requested simply, “Then decide.” Xavier, at a lost to anything else to say, simply nodded in agreement.

Logan took a long breath while returning to his feet. The Wolverine paced around Xavier’s study for the next few minutes like a caged animal. His gray eyes were momentarily drawn to the fireplace that held a blossoming crimson flame in its center. After another instant passed he turned, throwing a look over his shoulder, “I don’t know if this was before or after tha claws,” he said beginning. Logan then paused a moment to consider. Xavier could literally see the cogs turning in the mutant’s head, as Logan tried to decipher decades of muddled and confusing memories, “Before…” the Canadian mutant stated firmly while nodding his head.

“What happened in Seattle, this happened before,” the steel gray of his eyes almost solidifying with clarity, “He was right,” Wolverine supplied, “Me and Creed, we do go a long way back. Years…Decades even.” His eyes then soften sadly, “Silverfox…She was jus someone that happened ta get in tha middle.”

Suddenly Wolverine just stopped altogether. His gray eyes looked far into the distance as his fist balled up tightly in front of him as he expelled a choked up gasp of air, “Chuck, I know I’ve done a lot o’ things in tha past. Things I ain’t proud of, but it ain’t right what he did ta her,” Logan then cast a look Xavier’s way. Neither man commented on the moisture that was held in the man’s gray eyes.

“Ya don’t know what it’s like,” Logan continued, “Comin’ home findin’ tha girl that you love, like that. Ya, don’t know what it’s like havin’ ta hold tha cold body, of someone yea jus made love to a few hours before, as ya put her down inta tha earth,” Logan paused again. And this time Charles noted that the Beast was responding, “An’ you don’t know what kinda anger an’ hate, somethin’ like that brings,” three blades of adamantium shot out to emphasize his point.

Logan then closed his eyes and took a deep breath, sheathing the blades. A few minutes of silence passed before he was finally able to continue. “‘Ro’s, gone a long way inta calmin’ it down, but it ain’t dead. Tha more I think ‘bout that poor girl and Fox, an’ what they both lost ‘cus o’ my sins. It makes it alive again an’ even more pissed off.” His gray eyes went directly back to Xavier, “That’s why I don’t think I should be here, Chuck,” he stated firmly, his hand placed over his heart, “This dark thing in me, ain’t gonna rest till I finally take care o’ ‘im.”

“You’re speaking of murder.” This wasn’t a statement; it was an accusation.

The Wolverine stood up tall and proud. He titled his head to the side, cracking his neck before answering, “From where I stand it’s more like justice.”

Charles Xavier’s eyes narrowed from the severity of the situation. “So, you plan to be judge, jury and executioner,” he stated incredulously.

“I ain’t sayin’ ye have to understand or even agree wit me,” Logan returned, “But I ain’t also askin’ fer yer blessin’ either.”

“Logan…” Charles started again.

“Chuck don’t…” Logan promptly cut him off, drawing Xavier stare, making the older man see the stern grim face of the true person that was Wolverine. “I like you Charles,” he stated honestly, “I like ya a lot. Ye’re a better man than I could ever hope ta be,” he then shook his head firmly, “But ya don’t have any say in this,” he finished resolutely.

Speechless, Xavier stared back at the Wolverine. Now he truly understood the statement made before, about the decision to permit him to remain in the mansion. The world Logan was bred from was one of pure violence. It was what he knew and what he lived by. So it would be natural for him to seek that method to resolve his problems. If he encouraged Logan’s pursuit, it then almost would be at the cost of his own personal integrity. But then again to cast him out, to abandon the Wolverine on his journey to confront the demons of his past, made it seem like Xavier was costing himself something that was far more greater.

“Logan, whatever may occur in the future, please know this,” Charles began again while coming around his desk to bridge some of the distance between them, “You will always have a home here,” Xavier said resolutely, which made the Canadian mutant pause for the first time during their exchange. The older man then suddenly said, “But now, we will have to continue this discussion another time.”

“Huh?” Logan inquired totally at a lost. But Xavier didn’t hear him. Instead his thoughts flew to the newcomer that was pulling up their driveway as they spoke.

His vision started to clear again, returning his gaze back to the Canadian. “It seems an old friend has returned,” Charles stated. Not a moment after the doorbell to the mansion rang. Charles eyes were deep and full of trepidation as he turned back to Logan, “And he has some important news.”

OoOoOo

“I’ll get it!” Jean Grey shouted as she strolled over to the large front door. The redheaded doctor was instantly surprised and delighted to be greeted by such a familiar face so soon, “Forge!” she cheered while pulling the Cheyenne man in for a big bear hug.

Forge smiled dimly as he regarded his long time friend. “Hey Jeannie…” he greeted evenly. The Maker then looked passed her and around, “Is Charles here?”

All cheer had fled from Jean Grey’s face as she felt the seriously grim emotions radiating from Forge, “Yeah of course,” she nodded firmly.

“Good,” he stated while stepping inside, “I think you should get the others. I got some important news that the X-Men need to know.”


To be continued…







A/N: BTW the message isn’t, “Save the cheerleader, Save the World…”





You must login () to review.