Chapter 14: Rogues

Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
A quiet evening…

Robert Drake, the future X-Men hopeful, was now currently faced with one of the most morally defining decisions of his young life. Perhaps I should explain the situation.

An hour or so ago after he successfully found Rogue wandering the grounds outside, he was promptly dragged back to the Mansion’s kitchen. The southern girl, after hearing he had never experienced some of the southern classic delicacies she mentioned, had promised him a feast like no other.

So now said girl was before him cheerfully singing the lyrics to some Billy Ray Cyrus song that he didn’t know. Her subtle hypnotic hips swiveled back and fro, her cute little round bottom shifted side to side to the beat. All of these actions young Robert was respectfully trying to ignore, but a young man’s resistance was only so strong, and when it came to Rogue his threshold was even smaller.

Unaware of the Drake boy’s current plight, Marie D'Ancanto better known to her friends as Rogue was also at war with her own inner demons. Her thoughts constantly drifted over the events of the day: from her talk with Logan this morning, to finding him later in the woods with Miss. Monroe again.

She knew that right now Miss. Monroe and Logan were both in town. The pair didn’t call it a date, but Marie wasn’t stupid and she wasn’t blind. She saw how at ease the two of them seemed to be with each other, something that her own relationship with Logan didn’t seem to posses. And the more she had been thinking about it recently, the more she believed it never would, at least not on that intimate level. In the end, the girl was at a lost at to how to make him love her, like she loved him.

Rogue lowered the mixing bowl to her hip and slowly stopped singing. “Bobby,” she suddenly said which broke the boy from his mild delirium, “Have ye e’va been in love?” she asked, without turning around.

“Huh?” the boy’s voiced wavered in response. The cheeks on Bobby’s face started to flush from the very intimate beginning this conversation was taking. He hoped that he didn’t somehow come on too strong too fast, but he instantly sobered after her next words.

Rogue sighed while placing the mixing bowl on the counter. She turned her doe brown eyes onto the tall boy, holding a steadfast stare on him, “Ah, keep tryin’ tah tell mahself that what Ah feel is real,” she admitted, “Ah, know Ah’m young,” the girl then flushed, “Well, very young, an’ Ah, can’t give ‘im everythin’ ‘nothah girl can give but shouldn’t that not mattah? If true love really conquerors all then shouldn’t none o’ that matta?” The girl than turned away from him, placing her gloved hands on the kitchen island, “Why can’t he see what’s in front o’ him? Why can’t he see me?”

Bobby realized, who the ‘he’ she was talking about instantly. He wasn’t ignorant to the very deep relationship that was held between Rogue and Logan. There was a bond there that was formed that night they met in Alberta that no one would ever be able to break. Bobby assumed they’re friendship was more of a platonic nature, but he realized at least someone wanted a lot more.

He slowly stepped down from the stool he was perched upon. The boy’s movements automatically drew Rogue’s attention; she whirled around to see Bobby standing before her, very close. She looked up to see his cool blue eyes, which reminded her of a cold winter storm, peering deeply into her eyes. He then moved, tenderly brushing a stray lock of white hair from her face, while maintaining his stare, “Rogue, just because he doesn’t see you like that,” he said softly, “Doesn’t mean that no one does.”

Marie noticed their close proximity. She felt Bobby’s lean but very tone body pressed lightly against her. He was so close she could feel his breath, tickling her nose. Suddenly the whole room felt ten degrees hotter. “Ah’m gonna hurt ye…” she replied weakly, trying her hardest not to notice how appealing his soft lips looked right now.

Bobby’s face spread into a lopsided grin, his eyes never falling away from her. “Some things are worth a little hurt,” he dared. His tone was low but deathly serious as he leaned forward to try to steal a kiss.

Rogue nearly arched her head up, desperate for a small taste of his lips, but instead she moved back just beyond his reach. Automatically Bobby thought he went too far but the bright yet flustered smile on her face cleared any doubts he had. “Ye’re crazy ya know that?” she jested, smile never dimming. She then moved forward her gloved hands falling onto the boy’s cheeks bringing him down to her level. She then gently kissed the top of his head before releasing him. “Crazy,” she insisted her brown eyes shining brightly, “But sweet, like a big ol’ bowl of sugah.”

“We’ll I am crazy about you,” Bobby returned, another lopsided grin formed on his face while he pulled the girl in close to him.

“Gah! Git back! Shoo, shoo!” the girl playfully chided him, while slapping him away, “Ah, have tah get back tah yer food,” Rogue firmly protested with her hands placed on her hips. Laughing lightly to himself Bobby returned to his seat across the room, with a silent promise to behave while she worked.

“An’ stop starin’ at mah butt!!!” she hollered over her shoulder.

OoOoOo

Xavier Grounds
Westchester, New York
A few minutes before ten…

Logan hated to admit it, but he had a good time. The place ‘Ro chose was far tamer than the dives he usually frequented but the booze more than made up for the atmosphere. He could fondly remember the moment when the bartender slid that first frothy mug of beer in front of him, he nearly swore fealty to her and all of her ancestors right there on the spot. It was a nice night, a few beers, a few games of pool, and good company. It all seemed like just what the doctor ordered.

Now, his large leather jacket was draped over her narrow shoulders almost like a cape. The black slides that she had worn tonight dangled from his fingers as he watched her walk barefooted through the grass. Her tall slender silhouette was bathed in the radiant silvery light of the moon. Its beams all fell around her like a veil, almost as if she was some sort of earthly deity. He wondered briefly if tonight alone she had decided to adorn the guise of the goddess once again or was this, the true beauty that was Ororo Monroe.

“Darlin’,” Logan said, while drawing her attention, “I have ta say as far as kidnappin’s go, this by far was tha best.” A brief smile touched his lips while his gray eyes focused solely on her.

“I aim to please,” Ororo smiled brightly back at him. A notable flush of red stained her caramel cheeks, a sign of the traces of alcohol that still lingered in her system. She sighed and closed her eyes, her head falling back against the tree she was standing in front of, the warm security of Logan’s jacket surrounding her. Even though she was never affected by the cold, she appreciated the sediment anyway. The jacket bore the very male scent of leather, sweat, and cigars. A combination that she felt was completely Logan.

“Ya know, I’m thinkin’ I should return the favor,” he commented lightly, although his eyes still held that steadfast sharpness.

Ororo let out a bemused laugh. Her bright blue eyes were filled with humor as she gazed at him. “You want to kidnap me now?” she asked him coyly, her eyes seemed to dance at the fun that attempt would bring.

Logan’s eyes flicked over her. His gray eye stare wandered slowly up those long soft caramel legs, ending at her scandalous mini-skirt covered hips. His eyes continued their journey further, taking in her lush, amble breasts contained in a buttoned up blouse that completed her perfect hourglass figure, finally settling on her almond-shaped sapphire blue eyes. He grinned at her, a sharp incisor glinting briefly in the moonlight, “Somethin’ like that…” he put it mildly, before continuing, “But instead o’ a nice cozy bar an’ dine-in. I’m thinkin’ more like a low-lit room, with silk sheets an’ a roarin’ fireplace.”

She bore a devilish smile while looking at him, her mind vaguely playing out the scene of his fantasy. “Oh?” Ororo then looked at him with spurious innocence, “Why, what ever would we do there?” she asked, before briefly closing her eyes.

When next she opened them, he was right there in front of her. His strong thick arms posted around her tall lithe body, with his whiskered face just a breath away from her lips. Logan looked up cutting her with a sly look, one thick eyebrow raised, “I think I got a few ideas,” he added suggestively, before claiming a kiss.

Ororo felt like she was dying. No, scratch that. She was dying. This man should not feel this good. She was left breathless as they’re lips fought for dominance. She gasped for a moment during a break. Heated pants echoed from both of them, all semblance of thought gone; all they wanted was that feeling that heated want again. She attacked him a moment later, sucking hard on his bottom lip, before massaging his tongue with her own.

His blunt fingertips fell, briefly caressing the edge of her breasts igniting a blaze of desire in her, before sweeping down capturing her soft hips in his large hands. His palm grazed lower over the smooth flesh of the underside of her mocha colored thighs, giving it a good squeeze, before wrapping it around his waist. He rocked his hip into her. A quiver of heat brewed between her thighs as she became very aware of the large iron-like hardness that pressed against her.

“That might prove to be interesting,” she whispered a few moments later when she could finally think/breath again. Her blue eyes were wide and wild, almost as if she was on the brink. With the moment’s reprieve she briefly considered summoning a short rainstorm, although she doubted that it would cool the inferno that was brewing inside her body. She kisses his lips softly once, twice, three times even before saying, “But what of tonight?”

“Tonight?” he echoed while pondering her notion. His eyes then sharpened slyly while looking at her, “Let’s call this practice,” he grinned before kissing her thoroughly again.

OoOoOo

Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
A few minutes till midnight…

Upon returning to the mansion, Logan and Ororo’s gaze fell to the television room from across the hall. The channel was flipped to some continuous Abs-exercise machine infomercial, but the viewer had long since fallen asleep. Marie was bundled under a warm blue comforter with her head prompted up on one of the couch’s pillows that would probably leave her neck sore in the morning.

The two of them shared a look for a moment, before Logan went to collect the slumbering teen. Being careful to mind any skin contact, he easily shuffled the light as a feather girl into his arms. Ororo, sensing that they’re time together had come to the end, approached him with a short but deep kiss. “I had fun tonight…” she whispered, careful not to awaken the girl.

“Ya, me too…” he replied sincerely. She smiled briefly before ascending up the stairs to her loft. Logan allowed himself a few minutes to admire the curves of her sashaying bottom, before he headed over to Marie’s room.

OoOoOo

Nice and tucked in, Marie was soon safe and sound in her bed. Logan hadn’t a clue to where the room’s two other occupants, Kitty and Jubilee was. After making a mental note to go search for the girls, Logan started to make his way out of the door.

“Logan…” he heard the southern drawl voice call softly from behind.

The Canadian man turned around to see Marie’s droopy brown eyes staring lazily at him. “Sorry Marie didn’t mean ta wake ya,” he said while closing the door to the room. He figured Kitty and the Sparkler would be ok for the time being. He briefly recalled that Marie came looking for him earlier this afternoon. Then he also remembered whom the girl had left with. “How’d it go wit that Drake kid?”

“How? How did’cha know ‘bout that?” she asked while sitting up in the bed, apparently more awake now. The southern girl then shook her head, making her stark white bangs shake. “Never mind, that’s not impo’tant,” she commented while straightening herself.

Logan peered at her questionably, “Somethin’ on ya mind?”

The Mississippi born girl rubbed her eyes, clearing away some of the sleep in them, “Ah, was tryin’ tah wait up fah ye. Ah, wanna tah continue our talk from b’fore,” she finished then held a steadfast stare onto him.

Logan drew a long deep sigh, while coming over to sit on the edge of the bed, “‘suppose that’s fair,” he returned firmly. He then set his chin while settling his eyes on her again, “In that case, when ya wanna leave?” he casually inquired.

Marie blinked, hard. “What?” stared at him wide-eyed and completely amazed, “Ye still want tah go?” she looked at him like he just grew two additional heads.

The Canadian just shrugged his shoulders, “Don’t know really,” he returned honestly, which seemed to deflate Marie. He then fired a deep look to her, “But I figure after I settle up wit Creed, we can head out if ya want. I owe ya a trip like ya said.” He then smirked, “Plus I ain’t leavin’ ya Marie,” he finished with playfully ruffling up her brown and white hair.

Marie didn’t care about the annoying habit he always did when he saw her, the man’s words now seemed to be too good to be true. A smile that was brighter then a ten thousand watt bulb lit on the girl’s face, the idea of the two of them back on the road again, her Logan all alone to herself once more. Marie then paused because for some reason this all didn’t seem right. “But these last days ye’ve been wit Miss. Monroe,” she stated not believing the words coming out of her own mouth, “Ye jus gonna leave her? Doncha care ‘bout her?”

Logan sat back in reflection of the last few days that he spent with the African Windrider who also had somehow found a place in his heart. He remembered every conversation they had, every kiss they shared the very taste and caress of her skin. Silently, he then bid them farewell as his eyes returned to the teenage girl in front of him. “‘Course I do. Ain’t no other person in tha world like her,” he said just as surely, as if there was never any doubt in his mind about the fact.

The then girl deeply frowned, her face contorted into a completely confused expression, “Then why leave?”

Logan then smiled. Marie instantly felt touched because she realized that with all his interactions with people even with Miss. Monroe, that little smile was still reserved solely for her. He then said, “’Cause there ain’t no other person in the world like you too.”

Marie felt like the ground from under her instantly collapse, she blinked away the tears that were steadily forming in her eyes. Her breath was completely stolen by the pure honesty of his sediment. Guilt instantly swelled inside her. “Logan ye don’t owe me nothin’!” she shouted, angry that he would be so selfless for her. “We ain’t blood, we ain’t kin,” she argued, “Ah’m not like her. Ah can ne’er be,” she blinked away the tears again, because it hurt so much to admit that, “Why would ye give up someone like her, fer me?

That was all he could take, he couldn’t stand to hear anymore.

Before she could even blink, Logan had reached across the bed pulling the girl deep into his arms. At first she seemed startled by the intimacy, but then she wilted molding into the embrace that she so desperately needed. Her forehead rested on his shirt-covered chest, so she could hear the soothing sound of his heart beating.

Logan waited a few moments for her to collect herself and then he spoke. He made sure to speak slowly and clearly so she’d understand everything he said fully. “Marie, we ain’t blood, I know. And we ain’t kin,” he took a breath before continuing, “But tha one thing I got from Chuck an’ all his borin’ speeches is family,” he pulled her back so she could see the honesty on his face, “You an’ me, we ain’t related, but that don’t mean we ain’t family. An’ family sticks together, ya got me?” the side of his face quirked into a small grin, “I know ya, been alone, hurt, an’ afraid fer most o’ yer life. But I’m here now, an’ I’m gonna do what I can ta keep bein’ here ta make sure ye’re never hurt again.”

And the dam that was holding back everything inside of her started to crumble. All the fears and insecurities that had been building inside of her head for days now instantly became undone. “Why couldn’t it been ye, instead o’ him!” she cried while openly weeping into his chest.

“What?” Logan called out, confused by the seemingly random words.

“Ah’m sorry!” her muddled voice cried out, “Ah, don’t wanna go. Ah, don’t wanna make ye go. Ah, wanna stay here wit ye an’ Kitty an’ Jubi. Ah’m sorry fer bein’ so selfish!”

Logan inwardly smiled as his fingers gently stroking through her hair as he held her. “Shhh…S’alright sweetheart,” he quietly hushed her. He continued to tend to her while she finally released all the pain, anguish, and anxiety she had been feeling for the past days, maybe even months and years.

After minutes passed, when Marie could collect her self, she looked up and fixed another stare onto Logan. She took a deep breath; finally able to speak the other secret she was hiding. “Logan, there is somethin’ else I have tah tell you.” The older man stood firm, looking as though he was ready if the whole world was going to suddenly collapse. The southern girl took one breath and spoke again, “I kill’d him,” Marie said, finally after all this time.

One of Logan’s thick black eyebrows rose in alarm, “Killed who?”

“My pa!” she answered back, “That’s why I ran. That’s why I was in Albertah.”

“Oh, my God,” Logan gapped at her in disbelief. He quickly schooled his expression when he noticed the worried look in her eyes.

“Ah, can still feel ‘im in here,” she said while tapping her forehead, “He’s still yellin’ at me,” she wept, “It wasn’t mah fault Logan,” she protested, “He was gonna kill me. He found out I was a mutant an’ he was gonna kill me,” she stressed in between sobs, “Ah’m sorry Ah, didn’t tell ye b’fore. Ah, didn’t want ye tah send me away...”

“Shhhhh, it’s ok,” he whispered, while his head started to swim under the weight of the girl’s confession. For a moment all he thought about was taking her back onto the road this very night because he wasn’t sure of which side Xavier would take from all of this.

Logan liked the old man a lot. Xavier had showed him that not all of life was as bleak and scornful as he originally thought, but the old psychic was also a man that lived with a righteous heart. Logan wasn’t exactly sure how he would take it that his school was harboring someone with such a past.

The Wolverine finally just shook his head. He would have to take a chance. This all was just too much foreign ground for him and it was something that completely right up Xavier’s alley. And if they wanted to take legal action or even try to take her away from him. He ultimately decided he would have to see just how good the X-Men really were. “Let’s go wake, tha Professor.”

OoOoOo

Lower level Infirmary
Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
Several hours later…

Logan stared through the observation window to see Marie peacefully slumbering in the bed in the next room. Ororo stood by his side, a comforting arm draped around his waist. His face was grim, but calm as he watched and heard the girl’s gentle breathing. The last few hours of his life were an ordeal that he never wanted to experience again. The trek to Xavier’s study earlier seemed to have taken an eternity. The anxiety and consequences for what the old man would say seemed to weigh on his thoughts every step of the way.

After some minor digressions, when he finally came clean Charles immediately took charge of the situation, seemingly knowing exactly what to do. What happened next was a whirlwind of events that still kept his head spinning. Logan, with a polite ushering from Ororo, was asked to wait outside of his study while Xavier counseled Marie alone.

Seeing that Logan was situated into one of the seats outside of Xavier’s office, Ororo started to go off in search of Jean, thinking the psychic Doctor would be of some help to the Professor. As soon as the African woman took a single step towards the adult wing, a firm but gentle grip halted her. The former goddess gazed down to the thick sun-kissed hand that held her. She then looked to Logan as he kept his eyes firmly on the door, but she knew he was completely aware of where her eyes roamed.

There was a significant paused in time where everything in the background seemed to stop and it was only this moment between them that was in effect. Then all at once the moment passed, Ororo slowly drew into the seat beside him. She gently pulled his hand into her lap; gently rubbing soothing circles with her thumb into the back of his palm.

And then two of them just patiently waited.

OoOoOo

Logan blinked away the memory as his thoughts returned to the present. He glanced over his shoulder watching as Xavier continued to explain the situation to both Scott and Jean, who both looked as worn and weary as he did, but the determine gleam in both their eyes said there was no place they’d rather be.

A brief frown crossed Logan’s face. He barely caught the tail end of Jean’s words. From what he was told it was normal for most of the new mutants that came to the Mansion to seek Xavier or another adult from the faculty with help managing their powers. It seems in the case of Marie though; the girl never sought counsel from anyone.

“She never honestly requested for any,” Charles returned. The older man then frowned, “I always believed it to be strange, but originally I conceived that her years of abuse from the hands of her father placed a deep seeded fear of being in placement around people, specifically speaking men,” his blue eyes looked up as he motioned to the Canadian man. “In fact Logan I believe yourself and now Robert, are the only males she’s allowed to have a more intimate relationship with,” Xavier continued, “I decided then not to pry into her privacy. Hoping that in due time when she felt more comfortable around the mansion, that she would ask for help,” the older man then sighed with regret, “Now, in hindsight I wish I hadn’t been as complacent.”

It seemed that just as the girl claimed there was a very strong hostile persona dwelling in her mind. Xavier later explained that theoretically normal baseline humans would not have held such a strong influential presence in hindering Marie’s thoughts and emotions. But the girl’s close relationship not to mention the fear instilled by years of continual abuse, preserved Marie’s father’s presence in her mind. In fact her fear seemed to empower him.

“Ain’t yer fault, Charles,” Logan stated resolutely, “Ya couldn’t’ve known.”

“Scott and I, always found it strange that there were no missing girl reports that matched her likeness,” Jean commented, “I’d thought at least the girl’s mother would have inquired about her whereabouts.”

Logan shook his head to her, “Marie’s mom left her dad, six months ago. It’s been just tha two of them since then,” he then folded his arms together, “That’s when it was gettin’ real bad fer her.”

Xavier just shook his head. “My hands still shake in anger at the thought of laying a hand on such a beautiful child,” he stated, Charles then looked to Logan, “You’ve been an anchor for her, Logan. Since she left her home in Mississippi, you’ve been the first constant thing in her life. Probably even before then.” His blue eyes then grew very serious; “She’s going to need to rely on you in the future. I don’t want to influence your decision if you still would like to leave, but you’re stable presence has been strengthening her overall resolve,” Charles continued, “I have now, placed a series of blockers that should be able to suppress, her father’s persona. But ultimately Marie’s own strength of will, will determine the effectiveness of the bonds in place.”

“Chuck I already made a promise to her,” the Canadian began, “I ain’t so much o’ a bastard that I’d tuck tail an’ run, ‘cause of this.”

“And you won’t be alone either,” a male stern voice said. Logan looked up to see the determined gleam to Summers’ visor. For the first time since Logan arrived, the two men appeared to see eye to eye on something. Logan nodded his thanks to him.

The other occupants of the room all traded hopeful glances. It was as if something substantial was forge this night that everyone present was apart of.

OoOoOo

After another half and hour of discussion Jean and Scott decided to retire back to their bedroom. Jean managed to somehow drag Ororo along with her, stating that the two had some important topics they needed to discuss. After seeing how fixated Jean was on his intimacy with Ororo, Logan could take a good guess what they were talking about. Xavier was about to depart as well, but the older man drew Logan close for another private discussion.

“Since my analysis of Marie’s condition,” Charles began, “I have a sneaking suspicion that the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father and her mutation are somehow related,” Xavier revealed to him. “I would need to run a series of test, with her permission of course but right now those can wait.”

Logan shook his head. He didn’t want to think of putting her through any more tests at the moment in light of everything that’s happened. Instead he simply asked, “Can I see her?”

“Of course,” Xavier stated while motioning towards the door. The older man then nodded, “Well, if that will be all. I believe I shall retire as well.”

“Charles…” Logan hastily said, stopping the older man, “Thank you.”

The old man returned a warm smile to him, “You’re quite welcome, Logan. Good night.”

OoOoOo

The Wolverine quietly stepped into the infirmary room. The gentle sounds of Marie snoozing echoed within the four corners of the small room. After giving the slumbering girl a brief once over to make sure she was ok, Logan tried to make a quiet escape but he was halted when he heard, “Stay, fer a while?” He turned to see Marie holding a stare onto him.

The Canadian born man just smirked at her while stepping back into the room and pulling up a chair from the corner, “Ya’d have to beat me wit a stick ta keep me away, kiddo.”

She grinned at him, settling back onto her pillows. Her brown eyes then light up like a wildfire with intrigue, “So…tell me all ‘bout this hot date yea had wit Miss. Monroe...”

Logan sighed and rolled his eyes at the girl, before regaling the tale for her.


To Be Continued…





You must login () to review.