Chapter 17: The Protector

Xavier’s Headmaster’s Office
Westchester, New York
A little after breakfast…

Charles Xavier suppressed a grimace as he hid behind his ‘steepled fingers’. The gesture was a common action he was known for performing by his students and faculty. When he carried it out, the motion often put people on edge. Automatically they usually assumed that his great mind was at work, ready to bestow some seed of knowledge that would not only be profound but astonishing. The gesture worked to his benefit in this way, because in actuality it was a simple practiced method that bought him a few extra moments of time, whenever he was placed in a precarious situation where he truly was at a lost.

Here it was barely a little after nine in the morning and it already felt like a full day had passed. His clear blue eyes stared from across his mahogany desk toward the two figures that was now acting out one of the scenarios he most dreaded to come true.

“Are you certain this is the course of action you would like to take?” Xavier asked; his eyes directed to Wolverine.

Since the Canadian had taken refuge with them over two weeks ago, Xavier still hadn’t made any ground in penetrating the Wolverine’s powerful mental defenses. All the psychic could ever hope to register were faint traces of emotions that somehow managed to seep through the cracks in an otherwise powerful psychic block that barricaded the Wolverine’s mind. But the emotions that Xavier could read in this moment greatly depicted the seriousness, the Canadian mutant was portraying. There was no apprehension within him, only the cool, keen air of clarity that came from when one firmly put their mind to a set course of action and was planning to complete it to its fulfillment.

Before Logan could even fathom a response, Ororo, the other figure that stood across from Xavier’s desk quickly spoke, “Cerebro has been working around the clock, day and night searching for any trace of Magneto and his minions with absolutely no results,” the African woman began, then she leveled a heated glare in Logan’s direction, “How is it do you plan on finding him?”

Xavier was not surprised at Ororo’s sudden outburst. The past few weeks he noticed that the usual regal and reserved African woman, had slowly become more expressive and he even might add, a bit more livelier. He had been contemplating the anomaly for some time now, but in light of this morning’s confrontation, it amazed him how simple the answer truly was. His surrogate daughter Ororo was in love, or at the very least falling in love. And despite the obvious conflicting emotions brewing inside of her at the moment, she still didn’t want to see Logan go anymore than Xavier himself.

The only real problem Charles foresaw was that the normal tight reins that she usually held on her emotions were slowly unraveling. The piercing pain of hurt and rejection was concealed with a seething hot plate of anger that radiated within her. There had been swirling dark clouds that appeared over the mansion all morning, depicting her anger and frustration.

“The traditional way,” Logan shot back evenly to the African woman, “look,” he candidly replied, his own dark gray stare openly daring her to refuse him.

Ororo’s eyes widened from the audacity, while Xavier wearily pinched the bridge of his nose and wearily sighed. Before Ororo could produce an even more heated rebuttal, Charles decided to intervene, “Logan, I’m well aware that you’re very capable in defending yourself, but I’m afraid you are unaware of the great danger you’ll be placing yourself in when dealing with Magneto,” Xavier noted pointedly, “I assure you, he’s not a foe anyone alone in the mansion could face lightly.”

Logan considered his words for a moment then chewed the inside of his mouth before returning with, “Magneto ain’t who I’m after…”

“What?” Both Ororo and Xavier parroted.

The Wolverine crossed his thick hairy arms over his chest before answering, “Creed wasn’t wit yer boy, Mags when he attacked that girl,” Logan reminded them both, “He left her fer me as a callin’ card. This is somethin’ personal between me an’ ‘im,” the feral mutant’s frown deepened, “I aim’s ta end this fer good.”

“Be that as it may…” Xavier started again watching as the Wolverine impatiently paced back and forth in front of him like a caged lion.

Logan then unleashed a low growl of frustration, before shouting, “That girl died because of me Chuck!” the Canadian mutant thundered back, cutting the older man off, “Because of me!” he repeated, his hand striking his chest to emphasize the point.

Charles took a deep breath before continuing. “Logan, I understand your feelings,” Xavier calmly returned, “But this is no time for personal vendettas.”

“No, ya don’t know!” Logan thundered; his massive fist smashed against the wall he was nearby. Not a moment later, three razor sharp adamantium blades exited from their sheath. They’re emergence instantly put the two on edge. The Wolverine issued a low growl before he slowly retracted the claws. He then wheeled around on the two of them, his eyes taking a deadly sharp edge. To an outsider it would have looked as if he was preparing to strike, but instead Logan spoke in a deadly quiet voice, “If Sabertooth,” he momentarily shook his head, “If Creed didn’t know I was here. He wouldn’t have touched her…He would never have …” he broke off, unable to complete the sentence. But they both knew the degree of horror that poor girl suffered.

“I can’t do anythin’ fer her, jus waitin’ ‘round here,” he stated nearly pleading, “What if that was Marie?” he offered them both, who could only remain speechless. Logan then turned to Ororo who for the last couple of moments had become strangely silent. “Storm,” he stated drawing the woman from her contemplative trace. Her blue eyes met his gray ones. “What if that was Kitty?”

Ororo drew a breath while gazing into the determined pool of Logan’s eyes. His words instantly drew images of the young Jewish girl for the African woman. So bright and full of life, love didn’t begin to describe the feelings Ororo had for the young brown haired girl that was almost like a daughter to her. The thought of someone harming or trying to harm her in that way was worst than a blade piercing her very heart. “Then Goddess help him…” Ororo whispered venomously.

Catching her words Logan instantly looked up, his troubled gray eyes settling on her. She equally met his gaze, and for a moment it was as if the two of them finally understood each other. Charles observed the interaction between the two and while drawing a troubled frown. The ramifications of Logan venturing off on his own could be tremendous. There was no way of telling what the circumstances would be when Logan found Sabertooth, or even if he’d be able to find the elusive mutant at all.

There were just too many unknown variables, to take such a risky gamble.

Although now, seeing the steel resolve of the Wolverine and the lost of Ororo as an ally, Charles had no chance of changing the tenacious Canadian mutant’s mind. But it seemed that fate was on Xavier’s side this day, because that very same moment Scott Summers burst into the Headmaster’s Office. His hurried footsteps clicked rapidly as he rushed to stand before the Xavier school head. Cyclops’ briefly made an acknowledging nod to the room’s other two occupants before turning back to Charles. “Professor,” he began, his voice reflecting the urgency of his news, “Cerebro’s picked up on something. I think we’ve found Magneto.”

That statement alone seemed to change everything. Charles almost voiced a word of thanks to the lord above, before taking the reins as the head of an elite Mutant team. His clear blue eyes instantly focused on Scott, “Cyclops, alert Jean and Colossus. Everyone is to suit up and meet me in the Blackbird’s hanger, while I configure with Cerebro to verify Magneto’s location.”

“I’m goin’…” Logan muttered in a no nonsense type of tone. His wide barrel-like body then stalked across the room heading for the door, openly daring anyone to refuse him. His eyes fell onto to Ororo during his trek. The two held a gaze for a moment, before Logan broke contact and closed the door behind him. The Windrider frowned for a moment, watching his exit. She blinked a moment later as if not understanding; Ororo then crisply followed right behind him out of the door. It would seem, that they’re discussion was far from over.

Scott Summers noticed the pair’s departure, most notably the Wolverine. With a grim expression on his face he looked to Charles, “Professor, are you sure it’s wise to allow him to come?”

“No,” Xavier shook his head honestly, he sighed again, “But I do not think he would remain, otherwise.”

The younger man shook his head while also making his way to the door. His grip on the knob tightened as he spared a look to Xavier through his crimson visor. “If anything should happen Professor, so help me, I’ll…” he drifted off, shaking his head in frustration. Scott was well aware of just what the Wolverine was capable of, but when it came to the protection of his team and family, there would be no danger he would not face to keep the people he loved safe.

Charles frowned in light of the opened ended threat. He knew Scott and he knew, the young man would not hesitate to make his words a reality if need be. “Then let us both pray Scott, that nothing does occur,” Xavier concurred, “Besides this time you’ll be facing the Master of Magnetism and his Brotherhood. You all will need to rely on each other in order to prevail.”

Scott’s boyish face then cut grim frown, “And that’s what worries me most of all, Professor,” Scott replied ominously before finally taking his leave.

OoOoOo

Meanwhile…

Ororo didn’t know why she was still chasing after him. To be honest she should be getting ready for the major up and coming encounter. Plus the feral mutant obviously made his intentions clear, earlier this morning. A piece of her heart still ached from his statement from before and no matter how much she tried to fill the void with anger, it couldn’t replace the damage done.

Didn’t he know how much he was starting to mean to her? Could his want for more violence and bloodlust overcome all the happiness he experienced in the few weeks he spent in the Xavier’s house? All the things she shared with him? How could he do this to her?

These thoughts and more continued to brew through her mind as her heels clicked against the tile floor. Her actions now were of pure madness, but here she was still following him. The look he shed to her right before leaving Charles’ office, triggered something in her, motivating her pursuit now.

All this morning he had been talking about striking out to find Sabertooth for an act of revenge, infusing his world with more bloodshed. And yet that look he gave her, it betrayed something else. Something she couldn’t understand. And as she looked to his broad back that was finally in earshot, she now was going to find out.

“This is about more than that poor girl and Silver Fox, isn’t it?” she shouted, making the Wolverine draw up short. His head slowly turned; his piercing dark gaze fell onto her from over his shoulder. Cautiously Ororo tried to bridge the brief distance between them. But the moment she advanced, seemed to only provoke him into fleeing. He turned back ready to continue on his way. Seeing his flight, gave voice to Ororo’s heart. “Talk to me!” she pleaded her hand latched onto his arm halting him, frustration and desperation seeping into her voice. She was no longer the X-Woman Storm or even the regal Ororo Monroe. She was ‘Ro, his ‘Ro.

Instead of the mask of fury and rage she was expecting to see on his face when he turned to her, she saw the crumbled mask of a broken man. And before Ororo could question him on his erratic behavior from this morning, Logan moved impossibly fast, pulling her into a tight yet caring embrace. He closed his eyes as he breathed in her cool, relaxing scent of wind and rain. Feeling for the moment, truly at peace.

Ororo was speechless.

She didn’t know what to do with this man. He spent all of last night saying and showing how much he wanted and cherished her, but in the light of the morning the first thing on his lips was his need to leave and now this. Before she could draw a second thought, Ororo pushed him away from her, twisting out of his grasp, seemingly more angered than a moment before. “No, don't touch me. Don't touch me. You don't have the right,” she shouted, her own ire flaring from his invasion and her own weakness for craving his touch. “We spend the night together making love and in the morning you tell me, "You have to leave..." How dare you! How dare you!” she shouted again, trying in vain to fight the tears that were escaping from her eyes.

For a moment she thought he was going to ignore her, then all the anger and frustration she had been feeling the entire morning evaporated in the light of his next words. “I ain’t lettin’ him get you too…” his finger brushing back the silvery tear running down her cheek.

Then all at once the tightening vice that had been suffocating her heart all morning was released. “Oh Logan…” she said falling into his arms, her lips brushed briefly against his. It finally all made sense to her. How could she have doubted him?

Logan shook his head while looking at her, “Don’t tell me I’m crazy or actin’ like a fool. Ya, donno him like I do.” He then closed his eyes as he whispered, “I can’t lose you too.”

The African woman smiled brightly at him while wiping away one of her last remaining tears before she spoke, “Logan, you sweet, caring, but misguided man. I honestly would like to tell you, that you’re not acting like a fool,” she said while slowly shaking her head, “But I’d be wrong.” At this Logan frowned, but Ororo was far from finished, “I’ll have you know, I am fully capable of defending myself against the likes of Sabertooth. Nor do I have any plans to play the damsel in distress and sit on the sidelines while you carry on some insane loner’s crusade in my honor,” she instructed while placing both her hands on her hips. “That’s not how the X-Men work and if you want things between you and myself to continue,” she said while placing both of her hands on either side of his face so his attention would be solely on her while she said softly, “You have to learn my Logan, that’s not how I work.”

Logan snatched himself out of her grasp. ‘The nerve of her,’ he thought to himself. Here he was doing all of this for her. To make sure she was safe. But not only did she not care, but seemed more irritated that he even made the attempt.

He looked ready to share some of his opinionated views with her but the moment he began to open his mouth, the African woman raised a slender white eyebrow to him, openly daring him. Ultimately Logan just narrowed his thick black eyebrows to her, “Ye’re a stubborn broad, ya know that?”

“And you’re a bull-headed caveman…” she keenly shot back, more than ready for a fight if warranted.

Logan saw the all too familiar stubborn gleam in the woman’s eyes set in then sighed. “I ain’t tryin to get into any pissin’ contest wit ya darlin’,” he tried to explain. The softening of his voice seemed to pacify Ororo as well. “Since I started livin’ in tha mansion, I’ve got things I care ‘bout.” He then frowned as he grudgingly admitted, “Even Scooter’s pansy-ass, when he’s not bein’ a complete an utter dickwad.” Ororo did her very best not to smile, deciding to take the higher ground and listen while he continued. “Creed,” Logan shook his head, “He took away my family once, I ain’t gonna let him do it again.”

Ororo took his hands into her, while saying, “And you have to understand something my Logan,” she then pressed her lips against his forehead, leaving him with these parting words, “In this family, we fight together.”

OoOoOo

He remains silent as she walks down the hallway out of sight. He holds his tongue allowing her to think she’s won this argument, but he knows better. A dark light is cast over his features as he continues on his trek in silence. He doesn’t doubt her strength. In his eyes, she’s the strongest person he’s ever known. Just as mighty and beautiful as a morning storm.

But he knows Creed better than anyone. Only, he knows what that murderer is capable of. So in the end, he knows what he must do. For her, he has to unleash it. …The darkness. The very thing that he’s come to hate and loathe about himself, he will embrace it because in the end he realizes, she’s worth it.

Even if she comes to hate him, even if she despises him, even if it means losing her, he’ll do what’s necessary to keep her safe.

Deep in dark cavernous recesses of his mind it waits for him. As if welcoming back a long lost love, the Beast embraces him with open arms. It doesn’t boast or brag. It doesn’t have to. You simply can’t fight fate. Besides this time their cause is bigger than both of them, because this day his blades will be tainted with venom of vengeance.

Woe to all that oppose him. The Beast is on the loose.


To be continued…





You must login () to review.