Chapter 6: Day One


Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
Westchester, New York
Mid morning…


“Charles, he's an animal!”

The corners of the Wolverine’s eyes forked into tight slits as he listened to the African woman’s emotionally charged statement. “Frosty bitch…” he grumbled to himself, his supersensitive hearing transcended through the walls, clearly picking up all of the argument from the room he just left. For reasons he could not explain, her words struck a deep chord in him making his whole body tense. His hands reflexively clench and unclench into tight fists as he fought the urge to storm back into that room and show that woman just how much of an animal he could really be.

His traveling companion, the giant Peter Rasputin stared across the empty room noticing his new friend’s sour demeanor. “Something wrong comrade?” he asked while looking over to the smaller man. The two of them were currently in one of the empty rooms down the hall from the Headmaster’s suit. After finding Logan a spare Xavier’s School tank top shirt and his cowboy boots that were in rugged condition, he gave the Canadian a few minutes of privacy to change. They briefly talked during the walk across hallway, but even Peter could tell this Logan had been slightly distracted with something.

Logan frowned, while briefly shaking his head, “Eh…it’s nothing,” he muttered while sliding the loose “X” label tank top over his head. His mind was still echoing that woman’s voice, ‘…he's an animal!’ He didn’t know why it mattered or even why he cared. So what if she was a looker, it didn’t give her any damn right to judge him. He was his own man. Not some spoon-fed prissy boy that she was probably used to.

Letting the conversation and whatever the results of it fade into white noise, Logan turned to the Russian. “Come on, lead the way Pete.” He remembered that younger man mentioned something about a two level working garage earlier. He might as well get his barrens here, however long he was allowed to stay.

OoOoOo

“And that’s when she was like “Nah-uh.” and I was like “Yah-huh.” Then she was totally like “For real!!!”

Marie as walked down the voluminous halls of the X-Mansion, she continued to stare wide-eyed and amazed at the person next to her, the phenomenon that was Jubilation Lee. The girl had just finished revealing the events of last semester in under five minutes flat. Marie was certain this was the girl’s fourteenth sentence spoken without taking a breath. Polite as she tried to be, Rogue couldn’t always keep up with the mall-hoping motor mouth, who at all times would spout out names to dozens of people who she assumed Marie met in the twenty-four hours that she spent in the mansion.

The southern newcomer, who told everyone to call her Rogue, had only been briefly introduced to the young Asian American girl yesterday. But just a few words spoken and a single name was all the younger girl needed. Soon after all the excitement with the new arrival died down, Jubilee, who happened to be two years her junior, took one look at the ‘new girl’ Rogue and complimented her on her hair. Marie who always had been self-conscious about the unusual coloring of her white tresses took the compliment graciously. That topic soon blossomed into a two hour discussion about all the failures Jubilee had while trying to dye her hair in the past.

Marie honestly hadn’t laughed that hard in a long time and instantly felt welcomed. Last night went a long way in quieting the fears she was having being in such a big new place, also not knowing whether or not Logan was ok or not was weighing heavily on her mind as well. It was only in the middle of the night when her terrors started to begin.

“Don’t forget what happened with Professor McCoy our old biology teacher,” a light voice chimed in. Jubilee, who instantly paled at the notion she almost let a detail unrevealed, instantly seized on the new topic with vigor.

That was when Rogue looked to the girl on her right. A waiting bright smile marked the gifted Kitty Pryde. The young girl seemed like a polar opposite to Jubilee. Where Jubilee seemed vibrate and always in your face with everything, Kitty was more reserved, polite, and methodical. Heck she was the same age as Marie, but the girl was already taking college level courses along with her regular curriculum at Xavier’s School.

Even their state of dress was exact opposite. Where Jubilee’s clothes seemed to flourish with her bright yellow jacket, hot pink mini-top, and ripped low-rider jeans, not to mention her trademark violet tinted glasses, which bobbed up and down on her head. Kitty wore a simple ensemble of Capri pants, a wool green sweater and some comfortable Doc Martens.

What also amazed Rogue was the fact that every so often Kitty would chime in, on all of Jubilee’s various topics. She was quite certain the Jewish girl hadn’t caught half of what Jubilee was saying but she seemed to be able to follow nonetheless. Maybe there was a class in Jubi-talk Rogue could take up later on.

Anyway…

The young trio with Jubilee in lead soon entered the X-Mansion’s courtyard. This was a meeting area outside of the mansion that the students at various times liked to meet up and hang out at in between classes. The courtyard gave a lovely view of the open green lawns that flourished around the mansion. For Marie, it was a breath of fresh air from the weeks she been on the road and the cold climates of Canada.

The three of them stood by trying to spot if anything interesting was going on today. Kitty and Jubilee spent some time pointing out some people to Rogue. But typically it was a usual boring day that was till Jubilee started to shake in her sneakers. “Hold up!” she cried, her dark brown eyes then darted over to her girl-genius friend, “Hey Kitty, hot babe alert!” the assortment of bracelets on her hands dangled as she pointed over to the tower of Russian muscles that was Peter Rasputin.

Wearing a loose fitting “X” label t-shirt and some snug jeans that displayed the most fabulous rear ever, Peter Rasputin was almost a walking god among many of the young girls of the Xavier school, Kitty Pryde especially. “Would you shut up!” the young girl cried her face a terrible flush of red. What she wouldn’t give to make her gift phase Jubilee down into the ground…forever.

Jubilee, a Cheshire cat-like grin not leaving her fluorescent yellow painted lips, always had to be an instigator, moved behind the young Jewish girl. “Hey go on!” she encouraged giving the girl a playful push from behind, “Talk to your man...” she instructed a little more forcefully, while continue to push the girl forward.

Rogue continued to watch the exchange between the two comical friends, all the while trying to figure out the answers to some of the questions from her homework. She never thought in a million years, she’d welcome the sight of bookwork ever again. But life on the road, not to mention nearly being killed by some half-crazy hairy mutant, made someone appreciate some of the simpler things life had to offer.

“Jubilee shut up!” Kitty cried as she spun out of the reach of the neon-clad teen. Rogue turned her head back to the unraveling events of ‘Kitty vs. Jubilee 2008.’ Kitty’s small cute face balled up into a frown, which would have been threatening if the red as tomato complexion didn’t ruin the effect. “I keep trying to tell you,” the brown-haired girl began, “Peter was just tutoring me. I needed some help with my trigonometry homework.”

Jubilee regarded her friend for a long moment and sighed. “Chica, this is Jubilee you’re talking to, I have that class with you,” she mentioned while admiring her lavender nails. Her eyes then locked onto the Jewish girl, “You’re freakin’ making straight A’s in trig!” she shrieked with all the power in her mighty lungs.

“Well…” Kitty drifted off, the wind knocked out of her sails. Her eyes lowered to the ground, “Peter’s work paid off,” she mumbled meekly.

The mallrat merely rolled her eyes at her friend’s pathetic come back. “Next time, you get him alone you should have him ‘tutor’ you in something a little more interesting,” the Asian girl then grinned her brown eyes flashing mischievously, “Like French…”

Both Kitty and Rogue’s jaws dropped at the suggestion. Kitty then leveled a deadpan look to her ‘friend’, “You are so demented…”

“HEY!” Jubilee cried, taking offense for the first time. She ran forward trying to rush her ‘friend.’ Only problem was she didn’t realize her mistake till she fallen completely through the girl. Kitty giggled despite herself while looking down to Jubilee, who at the moment only had daggers firing from her eyes at her long time friend. “Kitty, you are soo dead,” she warned while scrambling to her feet.

The brown hair girl just continued to laugh while looking back in the direction of her beloved Russian. She frowned while taking in another sight, “Hey who’s the guy in the tank top with Peter?”

“What?” Jubilee growled thinking it was a ploy from Kitty to save herself. Only when the girl point, did Jubilee turn and look. Her brown eyes automatically fell onto the shorter, bulging bicep-clad man with the six-pack you could literally eat off of. “Oh my god, he’s gorgeous!” Jubilee cried, not caring if she might have drooled a little bit while looking at the shorter dark hair man with the wild look. “Now that’s what I call a real man,” she openly declared, “Not one of those sissy pretty boy types you go for Kitten. I mean a real He-Man type that’ll drag you off into a cave and screw you like a lamppost!”

At this Rogue decided to look up from her homework as well, trying to see who the newly dubbed ‘Hottie” was. Marie’s eyes widen when she took in the new comer’s appearance. “Logan?” she whispered softly. But somehow he must have heard her because instantly his head snapped up looking in her direction. In two seconds flat Marie was on her feet brushing past her new friends, “Logan!” she cried rushing over to the burly Canadian man diving into his strong arms, she laughed and cried as well while looking at him.

Meanwhile Jubilee just stared at the unfolded scene; her mouth almost broke a world record how fast it hit the ground. “Sorry Jubes,” Kitty said while sliding up next to her, “Looks like Rogue already staked her claim into him.” She tried to soothe her friend with a comforting pat on the back.

Clearly out done Jubilee just glared while crossing her arms in front of her. She then cocked her head back indifferently, “See Kitty, take notes,” she advised, “That’s what it’s like when you actually go after your guy,” she returned.

“Again Jubilee…please shut up.”

OoOoOo

Marie could barely contain herself, as she continued to look up to Logan. She hardly slept the night, her mind constantly worrying about him. Miss Monroe said his mutant ability would heal all the wounds he received, even still Marie worried. But now he was here, in her arms. ‘Where he belonged,’ a silent part inside of her voiced, but she decided to ignore it for now. “Are ye ok?” her brown eyes scanning all over his body, “They didn’t hurt ye none, did they?”

An easy smile found its way to Logan’s lips as he set her down. He playfully tousled the white bangs of her head while grinning, “Nah, I’m ok kid. Sorry for worryin’ ya.” A warm feeling started to radiate through the Wolverine’s body, it was unusual for someone to show so much concern for his wellbeing. Was this what it was like to have someone care about you? If it was he realized it was a feeling he could grow to get used to.

“Charles, he's an animal!”

The Beast growled within his thoughts, his mind still ringing echoes from the woman’s words from before. Hours had passed since he heard her, yet why couldn’t he get her out of his head? He couldn’t remember one woman that ever had such an effect on him in his life. He paused, his steel gray eyes drifting to Marie, he then amended that thought; there currently were two women that could affect him so.

“Petey, I can show ‘im ‘round a bit?” Marie asked the sentinel Russian, who had been quiet during the whole exchange.

The gentle giant that was Peter Rasputin stared down to the green-cloaked girl. He smiled briefly while nodding his head, “Da, o’ course, I’ll just inform the Professor.” He nodded again, and went back into the mansion while Rogue took Logan by the arm and decided to introduce him to her two new friends.

OoOoOo

Meanwhile…

The lovely pair of Ororo Monroe and Jean Grey wandered through the expansive halls of the Xavier Mansion. The two women were currently on a small break from their morning classes and found time to converse amongst them selves. Of course the topic of the hour was the mansion’s newest feral arrival. It had been on the lips of both women since the Professor openly declared earlier that day that he wasn’t going to send the Wolverine away at this time.

“I cannot understand Charles’ point of view in this,” Ororo openly stated. The blue flames in the statuesque African woman’s eyes still hadn’t died down from the explosive argument in Charles’ office hours ago and it looked as though it had a long way from falling. “The man nearly maimed Scott and for what?” she turned to Jean and asked rhetorically, “a mere tap of the shoulder,” she answered herself obviously appalled.

The scarlet haired Jean Grey, who had been strangely quiet for the last few moments, looked as though her mind was weighing on something tremendous. Ororo had assumed that her friend was just as upset about the development as she was, but decided to be less vocal of her thoughts. Oh how wrong she was when she heard Jean suddenly blurted out, “Intense!”

Ororo paused in her tirade to turn to her friend. One thin white brow from her lovely eyes rose up high as she regarded the psychic questionably, “Pardon me?”

A deep flush spread through Jean’s face, she really, really didn’t mean to say that out loud. The young doctor had been trying for hours to find the perfect word to describe the mansion’s latest guest. She honestly didn’t realize the level of her concentration till her slipup. Jean then mentally shrugged; the cat was out of the bag now. “I mean I didn’t think much of it when he was just lying on the medical bed,” she added suddenly, “but when he gets those eyes on you…” she broke off nearly swooning. The thought of those piercing gray eyes alone and the heat they caused was enough to get her heart racing.

“Jean!” Ororo shouted completely shocked from her friend’s outburst, “I can’t believe I’m hearing this. What about Scott?”

The young Doctor frowned while giving the weather goddess a panned look, “‘Roro, you know me, I love Scott,” she stated believing there hadn’t been any question to that fact. “But just because I’m in love doesn’t mean I don’t have eyes,” she argued. She was a young vibrant woman, meaning she could browse around if she damn well pleased; besides Scott hadn’t presented her with a ring just yet.

Wide sapphire blue eyes openly stared at the crimson hair doctor. Ororo wondered where the sensible, reasonable Jean Grey she knew and loved was, not this highly sexualized wanton woman before her. “What?” Jean responded catching the rogue thought from her friend’s mind not to mention the shocked expression on her face. “He’s so got this ruggedly sexy, bad boy thing going on,” she commented feeling a need to explain. She then took a deep breath and continued, “It’s not like I’m going jump him or anything,” she said trying to pacify her friend’s worrying.

Although for a minute Ororo wasn’t too sure about that, but she decided to remain silent.

Jean’s emerald green eyes then deftly cut over towards her African friend and automatically she blanched at the sight. She noticed sometime since she last saw her, Ororo had changed out of the white blouse and tight fitting slacks she had previously been wearing into a white sundress with spaghetti-straps that seemed to flow on a current of its own around her body. She also wore white sandal heels, which brought her already impressive height to six feet, not to mention showcasing her slender sculpted legs that seemed to go on forever. Not more than once Jean was jealous of her friend’s tall statuesque figure and exotic features.

“Besides,” Jean continued, drawing her friend’s attention back, “I don’t think I’m the one he’s interested in,” she added, her line of sight left only one person to guess who she was referring towards.

Catching the obvious hint, Ororo automatically schooled her face forward as if unaffected, “I don’t have any idea of what you’re talking about,” the African woman responded while continuing to walk forward.

“Right…” Jean falsely conceded, while calling after her, “Then explain to me, how the first moment you guys lock eyes on each other, you’re both completely off of this planet?”

Ororo turned to face her. “I what?” the former African goddess stated feigning ignorance.

The psychic Doctor’s green eyes blazed with mischief, not buying the ploy. “Ooooh yeah…” she added moving in for the kill, “I swear the Professor would have thrown a bucket of water on the two of you to get you to separate, if Scott didn’t intervene.” Grey grinned when she saw the usually regal Ororo, cross her arms under her lush breasts and actually thrust that bottom lip out in a pout.

Jean’s devious aura faded, as another issue about the event became apparent to her. “What happened by the way?” she seriously asked, real concern seeping through, “You don’t normally space out like that.”

“I…” Ororo began but she didn’t know what really to say. She could remember more than vividly the first moment she laid eyes on the wild untamed Wolverine. His massive bare chest that heaved with each breath, sending a ripple through his body that led down to the most perfect arrangement of abdominals, she’d ever seen. Ororo knew about those rash unbridled eyes Jean spoke of, because they still haunted her now. She had never met a man so primal, so uncaged, and yet so beautiful at the same time.

Then the incident with Scott occurred and she got to really see the beast inside of the man. She quickly realized that the Wolverine was no thing of beauty, but a vulgar, ravenous, savage. Part of her wished she never laid eyes on him and yet another part still wanted to know everything about him. The duality of both those impulses terrified her and she didn’t know why. “I’d be lying if I said I could have explained it,” Ororo finally stated.

“Is that the reason why your so against him being here?” Jean responded.

It was an honest question; so honest in fact that Ororo was scared to answer it truthfully. “No,” she said instead, “I’m worried about the children, Jean. We have to look out for them,” she stated coming back to her original point, “How can we do that with such an unstable man running loose in the house?”

“I can understand you being concerned,” Jean conceded, “but I don’t think you need to be.” The psychic then frowned observing the look her friend was giving her. “Just hear me out,” she added putting her hands up in defense, “That guy fought tooth and nail against Sabertooth to save that girl, ‘Roro, you think a guy like that would honestly hurt any of our children.”

Ororo leaned up against the wall, her mind wondering, “I…I don’t know.”

“It’s probably for the best,” Jean responded resolvedly, while standing in front of the weather goddess, “He’s probably not going to stick around anyway,” Jean concluded seemingly very certain.

“You don’t think so?” her friend the Windrider asked, a part of her voice seemed to echo both fear and hope.

“Well, something about a school and Logan, don’t seem to mesh to me,” Jean finished dryly.


OoOoOo

Later that day…

Ororo Monroe was on a mission.

After her departure from Jean at lunch, she was instructed by the Professor to show Logan where he would be staying for the night. Granted she wished he had chosen anyone else but her, but Ororo never in her life refused Charles anything. He was the man that helped give her the life she had now and for that she was eternally grateful. So suffering a few moments of the Canadian’s presence wouldn’t kill her, she reasoned.

Only problem was trying to find the crude, ill mannered, thug.

Ororo had been all over the mansion for her search. She found both Kitty and Jubilee in the hallways. Kitty did most of the talking because Jubilee was quiet. A fact that made Ororo draw up short because, Jubilee was never quiet. When she made an inquiry about the girl’s sullen state, Jubilee simply blinked non-responsive, while a wash of crimson stained Kitty’s cheeks. But eventually Kitty revealed the tale.

Earlier the two of them was hanging out with the new girl Rogue that had come in a day or so ago. It seemed while they were in the courtyard, the Wolverine made his appearance and Rogue decided to introduce him to her two new friends. Automatically taken by him, Jubilee proceeded to bombard the Canadian with all manner of questions, some ranging from the very tame to some that were borderline indecent. It was then when the Asian girl asked the infamous question, “Boxers or Briefs?”

“Hey, it was just a joke!” Jubilee quipped up in the middle of Kitty’s explanation. “How was I supposed he was gonna answer that?”

The brown haired girl’s eyes narrowed to her friend, “It was your own fault for asking in the first place!” Kitty shot back.

“Girls, girls!” Ororo shouted trying to calm the duo down. She placed a hand on either of their shoulders, “What happened? Did you upset him? Did he try to hurt you two?” she asked fearing the worst. If he harmed either one of these girls, no sanctuary that Charles could give him, would be enough to dislodge the lightning bolt she was going to shove up his…

“No! Nothing like that,” Jubilee answered a bit annoyed. “He just…”

“Mr. Logan just answered her question Ororo, that’s what he did,” Kitty supplied. The girl then laid out the scene, “After Jubilee asked him. Mr. Logan just stared at her for a minute with those chilling dark eyes of his. Suddenly he grinned and finally said, “Eh, option C…”” Kitty replied trying best to imitate the Canadian’s rough gravelly voice.

“Option C?” Ororo echoed, completely puzzled by the meaning.

“C as in Commando…” Jubilee breathlessly completed, fanning herself from the mental image.

OoOoOo

“Aftah we landed,” Marie began, while looking over to Logan. “Theh took me away to get looked at by one o’ tha doctors, a lady named Jean. She was real nice,” she added with a bright smile on her face. The light of her smile dimmed slowly as she started to frown, “Ah…Ah had to tell her ‘bout mah bruises,” she admitted softly ashamed of having to mention them, “She asked if ye caused ‘em, but I flipp’d out on her. Near’ly bit her head off,” she frowned from the episode, latching on to his arm while they stood outside watching the scenery.

Logan could only laugh heartily from the thought of this soft, charming, southern girl actually going ballistic on someone. He looked down to her, once again not regretting the moment when he allowed the southern belle into his truck. He paused as he caught faint scent of sandalwood nearby, but he didn’t want to ruin the moment so he remained silent.

With dreamy eyes Marie watched him while in the deep throes of his hearty laugh. She thought he was beautiful to look at, almost if she could just sit here with him for the rest of her life and just watch. He had such a raw sexuality to him that she hardly knew how she traveled with him and spend part of the night with him, without throwing herself at him, her mutation aside and all.

“Ah was so worried ‘bout ye,” she confessed, her large brown eyes still on him, “but Miss. Monroe said she’d wouldn’t let anythin’ happen to ye.” Logan remained quiet, believing quite to the contrary, but he decided not to comment. “Yer mah hero ye know, from savin' me from that brute,” Marie admitted not hiding the radiant flare brewing on her cheeks.

Logan frowned looking away from the cheerfulness of the girl. “I ain’t no, hero Marie,” he uttered gruffly, his eyes looking over the horizon, “I’m jus a bad guy, good at doin’ bad things.”

The southern girl just laughed, at her friend. ‘Always tha tough guy,’ she thought to herself. She then reached up with her gloved hands and pulled him to her so she could look into his eyes. “Ye’re a hero tah me, sugah,” she said smiling sweetly.

He regarded her for a moment; slowly the corners of his mouth rose up betraying the smallest hint of a smile. They both went back to watching over the green fields of the lawn that drifted into the foliage of the forest that surrounded the mansion. “They treatin’ ya a’right here?” he had to ask.

“Yea,” Marie nodded, “Theah are some kids mah age heah. This place is beautiful…” she frowned while a thought came to her, “Dontcha think so?”

“Didn’t really think ‘bout it,” he answered honestly, “But I ain’t got a place here…” It was a school full of so many innocent children who hadn’t yet learned about the true harshness of life. He, himself was a reflection of that brutal reality, he was born from it. It didn’t sit right with him being here, when all these children had the potential to become so much more than he’ll ever be. That plus the ‘Brady Bunch’ atmosphere was killing him, he had been dying for a beer ever since he first woke up.

Marie turned to him, “So we leavin’ then?”

“What?” That diffidently got his attention. His gray eyes settled firmly on her.

“We're a pair you an' me,” she stated proudly, reinforcing the fact by indicating their locked their arms.

Logan uncoiled from Marie and turned to her; because this was something that just wasn’t gonna fly. “Ya, nearly got killed ‘cuz of me,” he grumbled to her, nearly shouting. “That Sabertooth fucker, I’m startin’ to remember ‘im, he’s trouble, been followin’ me since way back,” his eye lit with the problems that could arise if she didn’t understand how serious this really was. “He ain’t gonna just stop at once.”

Marie’s gaze locked onto his not relenting, “Ye beat him before. Ye can do it again.”

Logan ran a hand through his wild mane of dark hair, not believing what he was hearing, “Yer crazy ya know that?”

“Nah, I just have faith in you,” the southern girl grinned, “'lot more than ye have in yer self it seems.” Logan had to fight to maintain his scowl under the contagious nature of her smile. Her belief in him was insurmountable as if he was invincible and there was nothing on this world he couldn’t overcome. Her smile then dimmed slightly as her eyes fell, “Ye saved me you know...”

A thick eyebrow rose on Logan’s head, “Look Marie, I was just said...”

“Not then,” she professed, “back on the road, when you picked me up. Ah'd prob’bly would have died out there if it weren't fer you.”

He paused while looking away, “I tried to leave ya to rot...” for the first time a small amount of shame crept into his voice from the admittance.

“But ye didn't,” she countered while shaking her head, “Ye don't know how much that means tah me either. Thank you...” She then slid her arms around him giving him the biggest hug she could muster. Logan sighed while looking down the combination of white and brown tresses that made up her hair. He really was getting soft, he pondered while slowly returning the embrace. They stayed like that for some time, till finally Marie bolt back up, “AH! Ah, have to go. Ah, got class,” she said suddenly as if just remembering, “Bah, Logan,” she waved to him as she walked back into the mansion.

Logan looked after the girl watching her leave. He really was getting soft; he just knew it. Logan’s face then returned to his usual scowl. He then looked over his shoulder and called out, “Ya, gonna come out or keep on hidin’?”

OoOoOo

After hearing his shout, Ororo Monroe came from inside the doorway that she had been standing by for the pass few minutes, feeling a little more than foolish. “Ah, I apologize I just didn’t want to intrude,” she stated truthfully. In all honesty she didn’t mean for her rudeness, it was just after stumbling upon the episode between him and the girl, she couldn’t help to be a little curious. How gentle he was with her and the things he said, it didn’t seem like anything she thought his character to be.

“Don’t worry darlin’” he grinned dangerously, “how were ya supposed to know us animals had good noses.” He tapped his nostrils when mentioned the word ‘animals’.

At first Ororo didn’t know what he was talking about, then automatically her words from Charles’ office came back to her. ‘He heard me?’ she pondered the impossible; Ororo then recalled another theory Jean mentioned to her. Among an accelerated healing ability and adamantium skeleton and claws, Jean also believed he had a hyper-level of activity with all five of his senses. The horror of that reality finally stuck in, she looked at him more than ashamed, “Ah, I didn’t…” she tried weakly.

“Save it,” he coldly dismissed with a wave, “Whatcha want anyway?” he barked out.

Ororo swallowed her embarrassment and decided to get back to the topic at hand. “Since Peter didn’t get a chance to, the Professor asked me to show you were you will be staying.”

He snorted while crossing his thick arms, “Lead the way darlin’.”

Biting back any further comments Ororo just went inside the mansion. The Wolverine followed close behind continuing a mask of indifference. The quiet duo passed many of the students while on their way. Logan fashioned his face into an impenetrable scowl, trying to ignore all inquisitive faces. Also he tried not to notice the seductive swish of Ororo’s hips as she walked on in front of him or the sundress she wore that seemed to glide around her shapely dancer’s legs.

He tried to ignore all these things but a man was only so strong.

OoOoOo

Ororo just finished closing the closet to the extra shirts and pants that came with Logan’s room while he coyly leaned from across the room staring at her. “After you’ve gotten yourself settled in, Jean would like to see you to run a few more tests. Do you think you could make it back to the infirmary?”

His head bobbed up nodding, “Yea…” He absentmindedly chewed on a toothpick he found somewhere, desperately wishing it was one of his prized stogies that he left back in Canada.

“Very well then…” Monroe ended while smoothing out her dress, but she did not leave. Nor did his eyes fall away from her.

For a few moments they just stared at each other. Logan could feel his fist rhythmically clenching and unclenching. He felt the want to act but to do what? He felt the pull again from this woman, something deep primal that even the Beast couldn’t claim. Despite all the anger he felt from her judgment of him, there was still something in him that wanted to throw this woman on the bed and spend a few hours seeing how flexible those dancer's legs of hers were.

“Ya ain’t too cozy wit the idea of me stayin’ here are ya?” Logan decided to ask.

Logan watched for a few seconds as the chocolate skinned woman schooled her expression. He could almost literally see the icy demeanor form over her body before she answered, “I have no idea about what you are talking about.”

Logan merely smirked while looking at her. A sharp incisor in his mouth seemed to glint in the light as he grinned. “Ya know the funny thing about having these senses,” he mentioned in a roundabout way. “Tha ol’ nose can smell bullshit a mile away,” he professed while lightly tapping one of his nostrils in front of her.

Two pools of blue eyes seemed to burn holes into the Wolverine, but if he looked the least bit bothered, he coolly hid it. “Fine you would like me to be honest, than I shall,” Ororo fumed, “I think you are the most simple-minded, crudest individual I’d ever met!” she shouted.

He cracked a grin while looking at her, “Prob’bly the closest thing to a real man, ya’ll ever meet, darlin’.”

“Oh really?” she rolled her eyes, “And does beating up a drunken man to the hoots and hollers of a frenzied crowd classify you as a ‘real man’? Why we should have the Professor contact Webster’s, it seems they need to edit their definition.”

Two gray eyes narrowed thinly at her. “Ya think ya got me all figured out, dontcha?” he growled.

“You have hardly done anything to prove me wrong,” she returned honestly.

“Darlin’,” he grinned while moving across the room, “I would love tah spend a few evenin’s provin’ ya wrong,” his voice drawled out, his eyes obviously pleasure in drinking in the sight of her.

“In your dreams…” she shot back bluntly, her blue eyes rolling again.

At this he paused, “Ya, wouldn’t like my dreams darlin’,” he said quietly, “Some things even I wouldn’t wanna expose ya to.”

Ororo frowned as she noticed the dark cloud that seemed to cover his mood. “Dinner is at seven,” she stated lightly, “You should come early if you want anything.” He merely shrugged, but she knew he heard her. At this point Ororo decided it was best if she left, she nearly walked out of his bedroom door but not before.“Also, don’t forget Jean,” she reminded him.

“I got it,” he barked, more harshly than he wanted to. He looked away, deciding again to let things lie.

Ororo narrowed her eyes at him as she closed the door behind her. “Uncouth simpleton,” she uttered, not caring if he heard her or not.

“Uptight nosey bitch…” he grumbled to himself at the same time.

OoOoOo

Jean Grey knew the moment that the Wolverine sauntered into her infirmary; stripped down to the waist and asked, “Where do ya want me, Red?” that it was going to be a very ‘enlightening’ examination and the next hour proved to be nothing less than stimulating.

At a physician’s standpoint, Logan was in the most top physical shape. His physical endurance, reaction time, and physique were at the top of all the charts. Jean had to constantly busy herself with the results, all the while the Wolverine’s ravenous eyes drifted all over her body. It was almost as if they had the power to undress her on their own. And to be truthful, she would have been lying if she said the attention was unwelcomed.

“Ok that’s the last of them,” Jean informed him, putting the last of her instruments away. She then pulled out small notepad and turned to him, “So tell me, what’s the last thing you remember?”

“I’m out in tha Canadian Rockies can’t remember how long I been out there, but I have them then,” he rattles off not even thinking. She doesn’t have to ask what ‘them’ he’s referring to. “Before that nothin’,” he admitted, “Jus dreams sometimes. They come in bits and pieces, but nothin’ I can figure out.”

At hearing that she looked up to him and smiled, “The Professor should be able to help you sort them out.” She then frowned, “Are you ok? You seem a bit tense.” To be honest she could feel a thin line of anxiety from him during the whole examination. He hid it well though, putting only a minimum amount of fuss during the whole procedures and that was only because he was trying to get a rise out of her.

“No, me and hospitals jus don’t get along,” he said bluntly, “Last time I was in one, things didn’t end pretty.”

Jean decided she wouldn’t ask him to elaborate. She couldn’t imagine the ordeal he must have gone through. To live through something that traumatic it took an unordinary amount of will. In many ways she admired that level of strength.

Jean returned to her notepad to jot down a few notes. She tried her best to ignore the perusing eyes; she knew were falling on her. If only she could just read his thoughts, then the suspense inside of her would die down some. But he was like a blank slate to her. That mystery, that little bit of the unknown was nagging at the back of her head and unfortunately intriguing her just the same.

Logan continued to look over the pretty redheaded doctor that pretended to ignore his presence. He been around enough women to know which ones weren’t interested and which ones were playing the part and he thought Red should have been given an Oscar for the performance she was giving today. Only problem was she had that four-eyes, Boy Scout’s scent all over her. He didn’t know the full story between the two of them, but from the fleeting looks she had been giving him the past hour, he guessed it wasn’t much. It was then he decided he had enough foreplay; it was time enough to move in for the kill.

“I hope I didn’t startle yer man…” he uttered while lounging up against the medical bed.

Jean looked up from her notepad. A certain light in her emerald green eyes lit as she smiled to him lightly, “Scott’s a little bit more resilient than you think.” She then went back to her notepad, she heard him scoff openly and she lightly giggled still scribbling down some last minute things.

“Whatcha see in a guy like that?” she heard his voice and noticed it was a bit closer. It wasn’t till a shadow fell over her that she realize how close.

“What?” she smiled uneasily, while rising to her feet. Her voice sounded a bit more anxious then she would like, but the Wolverine was just suddenly there before her. She didn’t realize he could get close so fast and so quietly. His strong gray eyes were hypnotic, boring into her. They were slowly was unraveling “Scott…” she said softly, “He treats me…well.”

Logan head drifted to the side digesting her words and her scent. She also noticed the space between them was closing. And for some reason the room felt it was getting hot. “Does he?” he seemed amused. His voice was low emphasizing each word, “Does he treat ya well?” His hand ran down the side of her pale cheek, instantly it felt on fire.

“Of-of course…” she stuttered despite herself, her breath was light, she almost had to remind herself to breathe.

A devilishly dark eyebrow rose as he considered her. “Ya know I can smell a lie…Don’t ya?” he grinned, one of his incisors flashing.

For a moment she almost considered that she would have to use her telekinesis to push him away. But the moment she took to concentrate, it seemed like all the barriers that prevented her from reading his thoughts previously were instantly blown back off the hinges. Images of him taking her roughly on her examination bed, the kitchen table, even on Scott’s own bed came to her in such intense mental flashes that she could hardly breath. In her mind she could feel the heat of his large strong hands pawing all over her naked body, making her quiver into one blissful climax after another. She didn't need for him to tell her how good it would be, she already knew.

His hip rocked against hers, while his hand found its way to her slender waist pulling her close to him. He was almost her same height, but in that instance he seemed looming, like the brick wall that was his body towered over her.

As she continued to look at him, her breath was becoming hot and short. She wanted him, even as she was denying it with her mouth. Even as her rump slid back onto her counter and he slipped in between her parted legs. Her mouth was telling him no, but the rest of her body sure as hell wasn’t listening. Her hand pressed against his glistened chest, whether it was the push him away or to run her fingers along his heated flesh she didn’t know.

The Beast, not Logan, wanted this woman. She was attractive, soft, and more than willing. It could already see her whimpering underneath him, calling his name in ecstasy, all he had to do was just act. He could make her forget all about the Boy Scout she believed she was with, in no time. But it was the Beast, not Logan that wanted this woman.

A brief memory struck him. The lingering scent of rain and the memory of a velvet voice brought him to pause. He looked at the beautiful woman before him; full red lips, flowing crimson hair, an amazing figure. It probably would have been good. It would have been real good, but he realized she wasn't the one he wanted.

When Jean opened her eyes, Logan was standing over by the other side of the room, his back facing her. For a moment she couldn’t believe what was about to happen. What she was going to allow happened. As quickly as possible she slid off of her desk. She noticed her notes had been precariously tossed to the floor and she scrambled to pick everything up.

“Uh…Anyway everything checks out,” she tried feebly to school her voice back into the polite-friendly tone, not to mention regain some of her dignity. But when she looked up the Wolverine was already gone.

OoOoOo

A few hours later, a soft pair of knocks awakened the Wolverine from his sleep. Moments drifted by as he started to get his barrens in the strange foreign room he was given. He remembered the school. He remembered Xavier. He even remembered the ivory haired African beauty that had been prevalent in his thoughts for the better part of the day. He even remembered the incident with the doctor and the revelation it brought. Another pair of knocks settled onto the oak door and he’s over there in a flash.

Slowly he cracked the door open only to see a young teenage girl in front of him with bangs of white covering a forest of brown. It took him but a moment to recognize the girl as Marie, the southern girl that held the scent of green grass and sunflowers that somehow wormed her way into his heart.

He notices her warm brown eyes that glance at his bare chest, but he decides to ignore the fleeting look. Her chocolate color eyes rise up and as she lifts the tray of food she had been holding in her gloved hands. “Ah, didn’t see ye at dinner,” she began, a feverish blush on her cheeks, “So Ah, thought Ah’d bring ye somethin’,” she cheered while carrying the tray into his den.

A small quip of smirk graced the corners of the Wolverine’s lips as he considered the girl’s concern. In all years he could remember he hadn’t had anyone attempt to take care of him.

Words of thanks started to form on his lips, when the girl suddenly bolted up. “Oh mah gawd, I almost fergot!” she shouted, in no time flat she buzzed out of his room again. Logan’s head peered out of the open door in confusion. Marie disappeared for a few seconds then reappeared in the doorway holding both her hands behind her back, “Ah, also got this!” she grinned, while bringing out an old familiar brown Stetson as well as a well-worn black leather coat into view.

For a few seconds he is amazed, he couldn’t believe anyone could be so thoughtful towards him of all people. “Ya keep spoilin’ me like this Marie, an’ tha rest of the kids will think we’re goin’ steady,” he teased while placing the Stetson on his head and the coat on one of the racks in his room. Her cheeks deeply flush as she playfully tags him in the shoulders. He smirks at her, deciding to ignore the slight change to arousal in her scent. A kid’s fantasy, he tells himself, she’s entitled to it.

“You wish, sugah,” she finally says and he allows it to drop.

After a moment he realized how famished he really was and put all his attention to his meal. Marie lightly entertained him with events from her day of school while he ate. All the different mutant kids she met that all had similar problems and concerns that she did. ‘It was nice,’ she commented ‘havin’ a place where people understood you,’ she had said.

He readily didn’t comment. His experiences in the Mansion weren’t as enlightening, but he didn’t want to ruin her mood. He realized she needed this place. She needed some place to fit in because she didn’t have anywhere else to go. He then decided midway while he was finishing up his pot roast that he’d stick around for a few days, make sure everything around was settled for her, then he’d find his way on the road again.

All of a sudden gloved hands fell on top of his. Logan forked a questioning eyebrow at the teen girl, but she seemed too heavily involved with her inquiry to notice. He could feel her tiny clothed fingers falling along the strange indentations that fell along the back of his knuckles. He knew what her curiosity revolved around, so he allowed her mild exploration. After a few more minutes she pulled her hands away, but her eyes didn’t leave them. It marveled her how such strong hands could hold such devastating weapons inside.

Finally Marie looked up to him and asked, “Do they hurt when they come out?”

For a moment he thought he’d lie to her, but he realized somewhere along the line she stopped being a total stranger to him, but something a bit closer. “Yea, ev’rytime…” he said honestly.

He saw a slight shiver quake through her body, as she pulled her knees up to her chest. She wrapped her arms around them, her eyes going to him again. “Who gave them to ya?”

“Some bad people,” he answered simply, “worst than me.” He hoped she be satisfied with that alone, because honestly he didn’t have much more. The bastards that carved up him and made him a monster took their secrets with them to their graves.

Marie didn’t respond instead she slid up next to him lying down beside him on his bed. “Did ye take care of them?” she asked him suddenly. Her tone was airy and light. She just as well as asked him if he taken care of the chickens in the roost, not if he murdered the ones that obviously hurt him so.

“Yea,” he admitted, “Ev’ry last one of ‘em…”

The teenager rose up and turned to him, her soft brown eyes staring into his eyes of steel gray, “Good…” replied and settled down with him again.



To Be Continued…





You must login () to review.