Title: “The Day He Came Home.” “ part 3
Author: Collaboration project by Wolverine6Claws and WolviesLover
Rating: R for language
Disclaimer: They don’t belong to us. You know the drill.
Notes: Ororo’s P.O.V., mostly.


‘I really do not know what compelled me to settle upon the ground last night instead of merely dropping easily onto my balcony. Honestly, I do not. Perhaps it was merely the fact that I’d seen someone sitting on the porch below me and knew that it could only be Logan. But that was just a small part of it, I am sure.

Oh who are you kidding, Ororo? You went down there because it was he sitting there.

Yes, that was my sole reason. And I dread to think of what he will do if he figures out that I had no other reason to land in the yard other than to see him. It is not so much his affections I worry about, I know that Logan cares for Jean. Maybe it is the possibility that he may laugh in my face that makes me cringe at the thought of seeing him again. And it is for that very reason that I am going to avoid him today as if he were the very plague.’



She makes that vow to herself, letting her eyes roam over the chocolate-skinned beauty looking back at her in the full-length mirror in her room. For a moment she simply stares, meeting those strange cat-like eyes of hers in the mirror image, then allowing them to take in the bouncy, full appearance of the long, silky locks of white. Ororo knew she was beautiful.

“Not Jean-Grey-beautiful, but… beautiful, nonetheless.”

She understood how someone like herself could be lost in the shadows while Jean attracted men for miles around. Ororo could certainly understand Scott’s adoration for her and even Logan’s lust for the pretty red haired vixen. Jean Grey was the All-American girl… the “girl next door”. She was baseball and apple pie, and in the long run she would mean a nice normal life for one lucky man.

But Ororo Munroe was an exotic beauty, a delicate flower among many thorns. Her beauty captured men’s attention, but that’s as far as it went. Her powers were another matter entirely. Such strength, such beauty and men seemed… intimidated by her - by her looks and by her powers. She shook her head with a sigh and tore her eyes away from the woman in the mirror. Gathering up her clothing to dress, she turned away from her own image in the glass.

“This is getting me nowhere.”

Moments later she was moving down the main staircase, her steps light upon the plush wine-colored carpet. Being distracted and lost within her own thoughts of Logan she caught herself chewing gently on her lower lip and rolled her eyes in annoyance.

‘Bright Lady! I am behaving like a hormone-driven teenager!’ she admonished herself, gliding elegantly down the stairs. ‘Logan shows me a glimmer of attention and suddenly my thoughts are filled with him.’ Scowling at herself she headed toward the kitchen, her stomach reminding her loudly that she was very hungry.

She was somewhat startled to hear quiet voices coming from the kitchen and she paused outside the door. Peering around the corner, she hoped against hope that Logan was not one of those in attendance. Ororo cursed silently to see that, not only was he in attendance but was leaning very close to Jean, and apparently whispering something huskily in her ear.

Jean blushed prettily with a soft giggle - their foreheads bent so close together, like best friends sharing a secret. Ororo knew it would send Scott into a tirade to see such behavior. Of course she wasn’t altogether happy about it herself at the moment. She fought down the jealousy welling up inside her and turned to leave. Her stomach could wait for now, she certainly didn’t want to interrupt. She’d come back later.

“Leavin’ so soon, darlin’?” came a gravelly voice behind her. Ororo tensed, cursing his sensitive hearing and sense of smell under her breath.

She turned around slowly, taking in the view before her. Jean looked shame-faced, her eyes lowering toward the floor with a somewhat embarrassed grin spreading across her lips. Ororo gave her a cold smile and Jean bit her lower lip slightly, casting her eyes down to the floor. It was obvious to Ororo that Jean knew exactly what game she was playing between the two men. Logan was leaning against the counter, his arms now crossed over his chest and watching the ladies with a smug smirk.

“Yes, as a matter of fact I was leaving. I do not wish to interrupt.” Ororo replied, her sharp blue eyes meeting his fiery gray ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ororo’s POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ya’ weren’t interruptin’ anythin’, darlin’,” he assured me.

I spared a glance toward Jean, who now had a look of surprise on her face. Her mouth hung open with a scowl and looking as if she’d just been slapped across the face.

“Actually I was just waitin’ fer you ta get yer lazy ass outta bed.” He told me as he pushed away from the counter and swaggered toward me. “Marie asked me if I’d pick up some videos for her at the store when I go out later. And, uhmm… she… wanted me ta take you with me. Cuz, uhm…she said I can’t pick out movies fer shit,” he drawled in that maddeningly sexy tone he uses, but... somehow, he seemed nervous. Logan? Nervous? No, of course not.

“I AM quite hungry, actually,” I replied.

His brows furrowed in confusion, then he glanced back toward Jean. I watched as a sense of understanding passed over his face, and then lost itself in his rugged features as a wide toothy grin took its place.

I pause “ confused - watching his thoughts play openly on his face. When he finally turns back to me, quirking his eyebrow and giving me an expectant look… it was then that I realized I had been the one talking.

“Why do you not ask Jean to go along instead?” I asked, sending a glance toward my long-time friend. Jean smiled almost bashfully as she glanced up at the Canadian. She opened her mouth to say something, but she stopped herself as he shook his head with his decision.

“Sorry, ‘Ro. Marie wants you ta go,” he stated firmly.

I heaved a sigh and glanced at Jean, who met my gaze squarely with a tinge of jealousy in her emerald eyes, and shook her head as if making the decision for me.

“Go ahead, ‘Ro. I honestly don’t want to.”

Then she sent a scowl towards Logan and stormed out. He grunted, glaring after her. He finally seemed to remember that I was still there and looked at me.

“Yer comin’, right?” he asked and, with a sigh I nodded. He slowly ran his tongue over one pointed canine as he drew back his lip in a sort of feral grin. Then he began to suck on the tooth annoyingly, deep in thought then he grinned at me and pushed away from the counter.

He stalked towards me with that lazy gait that now seemed somewhat graceful. It struck me then that he even moved like an animal. It was silly of me not to have noticed the beauty of his motion, as it seemed so out of place here, within the confines of humanity. And I must have had the strangest look on my face, because he stared at me solemnly for a long moment and then reached out to hook his elbow around mine. Now, with that done he lead me down the hallway.

I was unsure of what to do. This seemed very unlike him - so very unlike the ill tempered, sometimes feral beast we’d all come to know… and tolerate. Although… it was the strangest thing, but even as we walked in silence it was not an uncomfortable silence. It was almost companionable “ an almost natural ease.

Entering the garage, he finally tugged his arm away, snagging the keys to the same motorcycle he’d stolen so many months ago. He tossed me a helmet with a casual grin and I tugged it on, smoothing my hair beneath it with a smile of my own as he swung his leg over the bike.

“If I am to wear one, should you not also be wearing one?” I asked, knowing the response I would get before he even offered it. Logan scoffed with an amused smirk.

“I won’t be hurt if we crash, darlin’. But yer pretty li’l head ain’t got the protection of adamantium…so yer gonna wear one.”

Then he winked and I fought down the grin that was threatening to spread across my lips and merely gave him what I hoped was a stern look. He laughed and turned away to straighten the motor and kick up the stand as he waited for me to mount the seat behind him.

~ Oh Goddess..what have I gotten myself into now? ~

Swallowing thickly, I cautiously situated myself on the back of the bike being sure to leave a respectable amount of space between us. To my dismay Logan chuckled, and reaching a thick arm around behind me he pressed his hand against the small of my back. I blinked silently as he slid my body forward to press against his back. I sat quite still and silent for a long moment. His back felt so… warm.

“C’mon, darlin’, I don’t want ya fallin’ off. Ya’ gotta hold on ta me”. He told me. His words were softly spoken and he waited for me to regain my composure. Slowly, and a bit unsure, I reached forward to wrap my arms around his waist tentatively.

He laughed at my awkwardness and his deep, rolling chuckle sent a wonderful vibration through my body, causing me to shiver against him. Then his hands were on mine as he pulled my arms tighter around him.

“Like this, darlin’.” He said. I held my breath against him and his laughter faded quickly. He cleared his throat, shifting slightly on the seat and turned the ignition. The bike roared to life beneath us and my heart began to race as I experienced the power of the machine. It was exhilarating… and a little scary. “Hold on.” He rumbled pleasantly in that deep tone of his and we were on our way.

******

There really was not much point in talking as we rode toward the city. The wind would only have snatched our words away completely. However, I did find myself enjoying the ride - the freedom, the speed and the wind in my face.

Of course, most of my enjoyment could be attributed I am sure, to the fact that I found myself pressed so closely to Wolverine with my chin resting on his back and my arms wrapped tightly about his waist. He did not seem to mind.

Half an hour later he was speeding us through the city over nearly deserted streets and through specifically chosen alleys. I could not help but hide my face against his back a few times as he sped through blind intersections in the alleyways.

I finally decided it may be best for my own stress levels to not watch where we were going and opted to rest my head against the back of his shoulders instead. It was then that I saw movement in the alley behind us, out of the corner of my eye. A car was pulling out of a side alley behind us, turning on its headlights as it turned to follow us. I thought it a bit odd until the red and blue lights on the roof came on, to reflect off the brick buildings all around us.

As Logan steered the motorcycle back onto a main road the sirens went on, shattering the relative stillness of the night. Shrieking loudly even above the roar of the bike, the shrill sound echoed back on us as it bounced off the surrounding buildings and I felt him cringe against the sound.

Cursing to himself, Logan slowed the bike and pulled to the side of the road. I took that moment to tug off my helmet and run my fingers through my hair. And realized that for the first time, in a very long time, I felt completely…free.

Logan must have felt my movements behind him because he glanced back at me. He grinned at me as he watched me trying to preen behind him, and I smiled right back. As we shared that brief moment, the police officer walked up to stand beside us as he gave the bike the once over, then asked for the usual - license and registration.

Logan grunted slightly and leaned to one side to pull his wallet from his back pocket. As his hand came around - moving between our bodies as he tugged the wallet free - I gasped and nearly leapt backward as if burned. He blinked in surprise and glanced back at me, a wide and knowing grin flashing brightly my way. And I am sure he saw the blush on my cheeks, and I found myself wishing that he had not stopped directly under the streetlight, which was shining brightly down upon us.

I glance politely at the officer and notice his dark eyes are on me. He seems to have forgotten about Logan entirely and I give him a polite, but questioning smile. He seemed to realize that he was staring and put his attention back where it belonged. Clearing his throat he turned back toward Logan and, seeing that he was still searching for one of the documents in his wallet, the other held between his teeth, the officer turned back toward me.

He reached out his hand toward mine and, confused I reached out thinking he was checking to see if I was holding a weapon. Instead he caught my fingertips gently and lifted my hand to his mouth, his lips brushing tenderly over my knuckles.
Shocked, I stared at him like a deer caught in the headlights of a speeding vehicle. Logan noticed too and dragged the officer’s attention away by shoving his license in the officer’s face, his lips twisting into an unpleasant snarl.

New York’s finest seemed a little perturbed by the fact that Logan has interrupted his attempt to seduce me right there, but he’s soon recovered. He checks over the proffered materials and finally shakes his head slowly with a thought. Logan’s eyes narrow, his nostrils flaring as he picks up a scent he obviously does not like as the officer opens his mouth to speak.

“Listen, buddy,” He says real quiet to Logan. “This entire thing could all just… go away… if this beautiful lady here would agree to give me her name and number.” And with that, he turned to look at me, a sense of dark humor in his brown eyes.

He seemed nice enough “ although a bit forward “ and as I had no intention of giving him such information I opened my mouth to politely decline his “fine offer”. Logan must have misinterpreted my intentions and reached back to put a stiff arm up in front of me - putting himself bodily between myself, and the offending officer.

“Ya’ tryin’ to hit on my girl with me sittin’ right the fuck here? What kind o’ cop are you?” Logan spat, his arm still protectively between us.

The policeman stared at Wolverine as if he intended to make trouble. I am sure the thought of throwing the weight of his badge around was making its way through his brain. A low, rumbling growl from Logan’s throat seemed to change his mind. The young officer swallowed hard then cleared his throat nervously looking over the documents Logan had handed him. Then, as if he’d forgotten why they were there he looked up sheepishly at Logan whose eyes narrowed menacingly.

“Write me the damn ticket an’ go away.” Wolverine growled. “The lady ain’t interested.”

Officer Brinks - as I read from his nametag - stalked back to his car to get his ticket book, leaving the two of us alone again for a moment or two. Finally, Logan dropped his arm from in front of me and turned to face forward again and I saw his shoulders rise with a deep breath and heard him let it out as a deep sigh.

“Logan,” I started to say quietly but he cut me off with a shake of his head.

“Don’t, Ro.” He replied, almost sulking with his chin down.

I nodded and remained silent for the moment. I watched him closely over his shoulder as the officer returned with the ticket and giving Logan back his license and registration information.

Logan accepted the ticket with barely a glance and kicked the engine over as the officer walked away looking at me over his shoulder. I replaced my helmet and held onto Logan’s jacket as we continued our trip to the video store in relative silence.

I went inside with him and helped to pick out movies as Marie requested of me. It was not long before Logan was depositing the bag of movies into the bike’s saddlebag, as I donned the helmet once more. He mounted the motor silently and prepared to turn the engine over as I climbed on the seat behind him. The entire ride back to the mansion I wracked my brain trying to think of what I had done to deserve the silent treatment.



We pulled into the garage back at the school and as Logan maneuvered the bike into position and kicked down the stand, I shifted on the seat to prepare to dismount the vehicle. But a light touch on my arm stilled me and I looked up to Logan’s heavy gaze. I offered him a soft smile, still curious about his sudden quietness.

“Just wanted ta say thanks.” He said, dropping his gaze. “Fer goin’ with me, ya’ know?”

“It was no trouble at all Logan.” I answered, and he looked up at me again. “I was happy to go with you.” I told him and watched as he pulled the corners of his mouth back slightly in a hint of a grin, and the look in his eyes softened. “And,” I continued as I removed the helmet one more time, “I am sure that Marie appreciates you taking me along as well. I have seen your taste in movies and…”

That was all I got to say before I was suddenly silenced - by Logan’s lips pressing warmly against mine. He kissed me! Wolverine kissed me! Sitting astride a motorcycle in the deserted garage… he kissed me.

And it was not at all like I expected it would be. He was not rough, or brash at all. His facial hair and chin stubble teased my soft skin while his firm lips caressed my own very gingerly. It was a stunning kiss and completely unexpected. He pulled away a moment later, looking just as shocked as I felt. He darted his tongue over his lips in reflex and rose from the bike quickly. He grabbed the bag of films from the saddlebag and headed toward the house.

“Good night, Ororo.” He tossed over his shoulder as he quickly exited the garage. I was left sitting there, staring at the space he’d just vacated. The only other sound, besides his footsteps moving away was the ticking of the cooling engine. I sat there, shaking my head in wonder and I could not help but reflexively lick the taste of him from my mouth.

I finally dismounted the bike, and shut off the garage light as I closed the door behind me. And I could not help but wonder as I walked toward the lights of the mansion…

‘ What in the world was that all about?’ TBC





You must login () to review.