The Distant Calls of Fall
Chapter #01 Thinking of You, Part 1


Salem Center, New York
Monday, September 20th 2004
4:50 pm EST


The late afternoon sun drifted through the windows of the headmaster’s office, across the dark wood desk completely covered with papers. The total disarray was very much unlike Ororo, but a true testament to how busy she’d been since accepting the primary role of headmistress over her father’s school. Though she technically shared the position with Scott Summers, they both decided to leave the majority of the administrative duties to her, while Scott dug his heels into a more hands-on approach with the students, wearing a ‘Dean of Students’ hat among others.

Now beginning the second week of the fall semester, she was just able to squeeze in time to tackle the numerous small hills of paperwork rolling across her wide desk before the school day ended. Not that she was currently looking at any of that work…

Past the empty desk and chair in the Headmaster’s office, through the adjoining smaller study office that Scott often used, one of the downstairs washrooms was occupied, it’s door closed and only the light from the incandescent bulbs above coming through the other side. Inside that room, the slim form of the Xavier Institute’s headmistress sat on the closed lid of the toilet, her shoulders slumped and head resting in her delicate hands. Barely moving, her cascading white locks parted to reveal a worried pair of bright blue eyes as they roved over the edge of the nearby sink, where the thin piece of plastic rested precariously.

It had been over 15 minutes, but she still hadn’t looked at it. In truth, she didn’t have to; Ororo already knew the answer. After 16 years like clockwork, it was the first time her cycle was ever late.

“Just get up…” she whispered to herself, still as stone as she eyeballed the home pregnancy test on the side of the sink. She could hear her heartbeat in her ears, and her stomach rolled in anticipation as she just reached over as far as her arm and back would allow, snatching the infernal thing between her fingertips. Running a shaky hand down her face, she sighed, then looked down.

It wasn’t pink.

It wasn’t blue.

“What the fuck?” she swore vehemently, and tossed the used device in the plastic-lined waste can with the other two. About to pull her hair from the roots, she grabbed the box and read over the directions for a fourth time. ‘Pink means No, Blue means Yes.’ Grunting in frustration, she slapped her knee with the box as she looked up to the ceiling for help. “What the hell does purple mean??”

‘Time to call the Gynecologist.’ Her mind supplied. Looking at her wrist watch, she saw how close it was to 5pm. If she was lucky, they may still answer the phone. She needed proof positive, and since the take-home tests couldn’t make up their minds, a professional would have to be brought in.

Moving like a whirlwind, she flew from the bathroom back to her office, temporarily forgetting the evidence left there, and flipped quickly through her rolodex until the OB/GYN’s office number came up. When the line rang a third time, she almost swore again out loud at the thought of living another day without knowing for sure.

“Dr. Matthews’ office, how may I help you?”

Several minutes later, Ororo threw her head back against the leather chair, drumming her fingers repeatedly. The best they could do was Wednesday, which was still a minor miracle considering. ‘Thank the goddess for last minute cancellations.’

Just then a knock on her door brought her out of her chaotic thoughts and she welcomed whoever it was. One of the housekeeping staff members smiled pleasantly, pointing to the wastebasket beside her desk. Handing it to the man, she suddenly glanced toward the bathroom. While he emptied the office trash, she moved toward Scott’s office. “I’ll get the others for you.”

“Oh, it’s no problem, Missus. I’ll be out of ya hair in a moment.” The man turned to roll the larger bin in her direction.

“It’s alright, Jake. I’ve got it.” She was already inside the smaller office, but went directly to the washroom instead, tying up the bag and stuffing it inside the waste basket liner from Scott’s office on her way back.

No doubt surprised at her insistent help, the man took the trash from her, nodding his thanks. “Well thank you. Have a good day.”

Ororo smiled a little tightly, nodding. She watched him leave, then went back to the bathroom and did a quick sweep to make sure she hadn’t forgotten any evidence. Satisfied, she was on her way back out when she almost ran into Scott and their new instructor coming to her office.

“Ororo! How was your day?” Scott asked conversationally, completely ignorant of her startled expression.

She tried to reply in kind, but somehow felt they could see right through her. ‘Get a grip, Ororo.’ “Oh, same as last week: busy. How about you guys? Mr. North, are the teaching and living accommodations suiting you?”

The darker-haired man smiled easily, but his eyes kept the strange lock on her. “Ororo, please call me David. And yes, everything’s even better than I expected. This place is a real gem among private schools; I’m surprised more people aren’t knocking down your door to teach here.”

“Oh they are.” Scott laughed, rounding the desk and flipping through some of Ororo’s paperwork.

“Yet we’re still so understaffed? The unattended classes and the ratio of students to instructors”“

“Will be addressed.” Ororo interrupted, maybe a little tersely. “As I mentioned last week, we’re in the middle of a restructuring endeavor after my father…passed. The students and their parents were made aware of some of these issues, including the temporary staff shortage and they’ve been very understanding in light of everything.”

Her answer obviously seemed to take him back a little, but he recovered quickly, shelving whatever his response was going to be in lieu of a simple nod. “I meant no offense…”

“Oh, none was taken, David.” She didn’t look at him as she said this, coming to the desk where Scott was giving her ‘a look’. “Now if you gentlemen will excuse me, I’m right in the middle of some long overdue paperwork.”

David nodded without another word, while Scott slowly moved to join him toward the door. “Dave, I’ll meet you in the Media Room, alright?”

“Certainly. Ororo…”

She glanced up to him, nodding quickly before burying herself in the expense reports that were a week behind. She was fully aware of Scott’s presence still in the room but chose to ignore him, knowing full well he wasn’t leaving without saying something. She didn’t have to wait long.

Closing her door behind the departed North, he turned slightly incredulous eyes behind his tinted specs toward her desk. “Ororo.”

“Yes, Scott?”

“What the hell was that?”

Her pen continued scribbling; the adding machine’s tape clicking as she flew through the school’s expenses, marking what could be deducted come tax time. Purposefully distracted, she reminded herself to go online later that evening and purchase a business copy of Quick Books. She was about to drive herself mad doing this shit by hand. After a time she finally replied, “Excuse me?”

“Don’t ‘excuse me’, Ororo. You were almost rude to David just now. What’s going on?” His voice softened as he watched her carefully, concern coloring his approach now. As an afterthought, he added, “You know, you’ve been a little moody lately. Well, more so than usual.”

Laying her pen down soundly, she gazed up at him with a pointed stare and it was on the tip of her tongue to say something that involved several four-letters words about where Scott could go, when Ro suddenly brought herself up short. She realized her mood had nothing to do with him”or David North”and she needed to get a serious grip. Picking her pen up but only rolling it between her fingers, she looked thoughtfully at it for some time. “Scott, you of all people know what kind of stress I’m under here. I thought that Mr. North would be able to handle a less-than-ideal situation”what with all his credentials and experience”so he’s the last person I thought would come in here complaining about the work load.”

“I don’t think he was complaining. Matter of fact, I tend to agree with him.” Scott crossed his arms over his chest, visibly steeling himself for the response his statement was sure in invoke.

“Really?” She peered up at him, ready for a fight. “Then I guess you’re volunteering to double the interviews so we can fill the empty teaching slots?”

Scott’s eyes widened, then he chuckled to himself, realizing he was never going to win this argument. Stepping up to her desk, he came around and leaned against the drawers next to her, looking down into her irritated face with a contemplative expression. “Ororo, I’m not here to bust your balls”“

“I certainly hope not.”

“”but seriously, we have to do something about the workload. David is doing a great job and trust me, he’s not trying to slack off; actually, he’s got some really good ideas about adding to the curriculum.”

“Yes, I know.”

“But that won’t matter if we can’t get more instructors here.”

Suddenly tired of this conversation”she’d been weighing the issue in her mind for weeks anyway”Ororo met his gaze. “And just what are you proposing, Scott, that we just hire the next applicant off the street? My father had high standards for this school; ones I aim to keep in mind when hiring people that are going to do more than just ‘teach’; these people are influencing the next generation of mutants. I want to make sure that it’s a positive one.”

“So do we.” Scott squeezed her shoulder. “That’s why I think you need to call Beth and Marie back. See if Brian and Kurt can step in as well”“

She was already shaking her head at that. “Scott, I just let my sisters off the hook; you want me to call them back? I can’t go running to my family every time there’s a bump in the road around here.”

“Why not? Isn’t that what they’re for?” he asked quietly.

She paused, then rubbed her temples, feeling a headache coming on. She really just didn’t feel like doing this with him right then, especially since the nausea was threatening to come back. Trying to hide her placating tone, Ororo replied, “I won’t make you any promises, Scott; but I’ll think about it, okay?”

He nodded, sensing somehow that she wasn’t in the mood to discuss this. Standing, he hesitated for a brief moment once he reached the door, turning to her. “Roro?”

“Yes?”

“You’re really looking tired these days. I know you’ve got a lot on your mind, so if you ever need to talk”“

“I know where your room is.” She finished for him. Before he closed the door, she added quietly, “Scott? …Thanks.”

He nodded, the door clicking silently behind him. Ro sat back in the chair, wishing she could talk to him about what was going on in her head, but somehow sensed he was the last person that would understand. Besides, she wasn’t even sure herself what was going on. It could just be stress. After all, three home tests returned unsure results.

Sighing heavily, Ororo tried to push the thoughts back into the darker corners of her mind, realizing that right at that moment the expense reports needed the most attention. Everything else would just have to be dealt with in its own due time.




The Principality of Madripoor, Madripoor City
Tuesday, September 21st, 2004
4:50 a.m. Local Time


The sleepless ‘Red Light’ District of Madripoor’s self-titled, largest city was of course in full swing. It was the peak of the nightlife hours, to soon dissipate with the coming of dawn. But that was a few hours, yet; plenty of time to get the day’s recon done.

Staring out of the third-story window of the hole-in-the-wall hotel on the comically named Americana Street, Logan’s eyes darted over the faces of the people below him as he searched the wild, partying crowds for a particular visage. While his outward demeanor spoke of alert, no-nonsense priority, inside his head he was in a whole different place.

In the three weeks or so since he’d left The States”since leaving Her”he’d been struggling to keep his mind on his job. Logan knew it would be the best thing he could do to honor their affection for each other by doing his job and doing it well. For the first few days or so after he’d left New York, he honestly believed he could do this: keeping his distance from Ororo. However, as the days grew to weeks, he found that her ten-digit cell number kept recycling itself in his mind when he should have been remembering mission dates, times and codes; every airy, feminine laugh around him brought back memories of chasing her in the beach sand behind his summer home or…

Narrowing his gaze, Logan blinked several times to clear his thoughts from going where they often yearned every time he was alone for more than five minutes. As he returned to eyeing the denizens below in the packed street, a glimpse of a dark-skinned, elegant tourist amidst the throngs of half-drunken anarchists played a cruel trick on his senses, and for a brief moment he saw bright white hair to match the smooth brown skin, before the woman turned and smiled to her companion, and he realized it was not bright blue eyes or calf-length cloudy tresses complimenting her slender form.

“Shit.” Logan turned away from the window briefly, actually rubbing his somewhat tired eyes, realizing he’d been up for more than 24 hrs straight, watching the streets of Madripoor like a hawk. There were other members of his team in adjoining rooms of the hotel, but they were resting while he took the roughest hours to stay awake. That of course wasn’t his problem; it was staying on task while he was awake that the Colonel seemed to have the biggest problem with.

Twisting the cap off of a bottle of water, he guzzled it wishing it was hard liquor the whole time, but knew even the short bliss of intoxication (when he could reach it) wouldn’t wipe the memories from his mind or his heart. Turning toward the clean but small bed in his room, he watched the lights from the window play across the sheets he’d not slept in since they arrived almost exactly a month before. They couldn’t compare to those that he could still remember held the smell of her hair and her warm body, as he’d held her close one last time that night…


Late into the night of August 22nd…

Their footsteps padded quietly up the brownstone’s stairs toward her bedroom, but all the time he could hear his own heart beating wildly in his chest and his ears. His hand was warm in hers, and he squeezed it reassuringly, promising her she hadn’t made a mistake in opening her door”or her heart”to him.

Ororo smiled to herself, away from his gaze as she turned to close the door behind them. She could sense him behind her close, and barely heard the oft-reassuring, low, rumbling ‘purr’ from deep in his chest. When she faced him, it was to see him turned away from her, looking around the bedroom, as it was the first time he’d been here. She could see the tense muscles beneath his dark shirt, and it was her only indication of the turmoil that must have been going on in his mind.

Several moments passed wordless between them, as Logan closed his eyes, trying to piece together the best place to start his sordid past”and present”with the clandestine Section X department, and also worrisome of whether her knowledge of it could put her in jeopardy. His concern was interrupted when he felt a pair of cool hands reach from behind him, circling his thick torso to spread against his chest. When she pressed her body against him, her cheek resting against the back of his head, he inhaled sharply at the unmistakable feeling of bare flesh against him.

“Logan…you’re so tense. Tell me what’s wrong?” her voice was low, barely a whisper and so full of obvious concern and love that he shuttered a moment before his hands came up to grasp hers, pulling her naked body even closer if possible. His head dipped as he watched the floor for a moment in contemplation.

“Nothin, Darlin’. Believe it or not, right now everythin’ feels just right.”

Her smile behind him was palpable as she laid a ghost-like kiss against his wild dark hair. He sighed, some of his pent up stress dissolving. She nibbled on his ear and he fought the butterflies in his gut. When her tongue flicked a hot wet trail down the side of his neck toward his collarbone, he moaned.

“Ro
…mmph…aren’t we supposed to be uh, talking?”

A throaty giggle was her immediate response before Ororo countered, “So talk.”

Logan shook his head, trying to compose his thoughts again”
‘Where to start?’”when her hands then snaked beneath his shirt, caressing him before one naughty delicate finger decided to start a five-fingered discount, beginning in his pants. The second he felt her close on his hardening penis, Logan had enough. “Ah hell…”

Whipping around quickly, he grabbed her close to him, growling as he buried his face in her bosom. Pushing Ro back toward the bed, they tumbled among the sheets and she gave out a laughing yelp when the bed groaned in protest beneath his weight. Her laughter seemed to echo in his ears as Logan stared down, leaning over her as the moonlight reflected off of her silver-white tresses”



Outside the hotel in Madripoor, car horns threatened to break his reverie, but even the ruckus outside couldn’t drown out the sustained echo of her laughter as it traveled through space, time and his memories to torture Logan again as it did every day he thought of her. Sighing deeply, his olfactory senses”as acute as a photographic memory”brought back the scent of her soft flesh as he’d kissed her neck, her collar and shoulders. He could still feel her hand caress his face before one of them whispered to the other in the night.

“I love you.”



“Boss?”

Startled but barely able to hide it, Logan turned his head slightly toward the door behind him to see Ben Campbell standing there, the young mutant dressed in the dark Kevlar-lined suits required for use during field missions in hostile territory. Atop his short-cropped hair a pair of expensive night-vision binoculars rested, turned off. Taking in his appearance, Logan pulled on his own sleeve, realizing it was 5 a.m. and time for the shift change.

“Get any rest?” Logan walked back over to the window where he’d been stationed, peeking through the drapes.

“With this mess outside?” Ben jabbed a thumb toward the noise of the partygoers. “Slept like a baby.”

Logan almost chuckled, his eyes focused again on the street below. Ben came up beside him and the two took opposite sides of the window as Ben fine-tuned his night vision specs, envying his superior who didn’t need them. After several moments, Ben quietly asked, “Pardon me, sir, but are you horning in on my watch?”

Logan looked up at him, realizing he should’ve been on his way out, switching rooms with Ben while the younger man took his place at watch. The thought of being with his lonely heart and sharp memory wasn’t very appealing at the moment, however. “Hardly, Ben. Just not tired.”

Shrugging, the newly appointed 2nd Lieutenant** nodded as if that was explanation enough, and returned to the spot below, where he’d been zooming in on people. Ben was no fool, and had enough sense that there was something bothering the Colonel, but also was smart enough not to bring it up”at least, not right then. He knew it had to be serious if James Howlett was distracted. He guessed it could only have to do with the business left in Westchester. All Logan would tell him is that he and Ororo decided to break things off. As Ben chanced a glance at his forlorn superior officer, he had to admit the man looked like that affair was anything but over.



TBC…





You must login () to review.