"Logan we should talk about this," Jean said. Logan tightened a bolt on his 1964 chopper in response. He kept his hands busy and his eyes set on the task at hand. She wasn't going to drop it.

"Logan," she said again the agitation in her voice ringing in his sensitive ears. He was cleaning his tools now. Just don't look at her. If he did he knew he'd get lost in the sparkling brilliance of her green eyes, and he'd never do what needed to be done or say what need to be said. Jean squinted her eyes and the pliers in his hands rocketed across the garage and crashed to the floor with a CLANG!

He looked up at her then and instead of feeling weak and susceptible to her charms he found anger and frustration boiling in his veins...frustration was good in this situation...he was less likely to get trapped again by her smile or the deceptive innocence in her touch.

"So talk," he said packing away the rest of his tools. Jean stood over him shuffling her feet as if searching for the right words. Crouched on the ground and with his back to her, he smelled the tears begin to well in her eyes...Here come the water works. And for a moment he wanted to pull her into his arms.

"I'm sorry," she began. "You have every right to be angry with me-"

"Thanks fer tha permission," he snapped standing to his feet with the tool box in hand and making his way to the storage closet. Jean was right behind him.

"Being upset is no reason to just end it. Not when we have so much history-"

Logan tossed the tool box into the closet and it crashed against the wall. He turned to Jean then, his eyes so livid that she took a step back for fear that he might hit her…Not that he had before, but Logan was ferocious and unpredictable.

Logan's voice boomed with intensity "You walked out on me remember?". Jean swallowed the lump in her throat and in spite of his anger she stepped closer. She reached to touch his face, but he turned his head away. Jean sighed…she needed to get through to him "Yes, I do remember. It was stupid, and it didn't mean anything. I was angry and so frustrated with you, because you made me feel-All I want to do is help you and-I wasn't thinking."

She reached for him again and this time he didn't turn away. His eyes found hers and she held his gaze and whispered softly "I love you. Let's not ruin a good thing here."

Then she kissed him and he kissed her back hard and unyielding. His arms slid around her waist pulling her in close. Her heart raced as she opened her mouth to him and he consumed her tongue with his own. Suddenly he tore his mouth away from her, and found her gaze again. "Jean" he said his voice low and heavy. Jean smiled pressing her body against him harder, her hands moving towards his belt. "It's over" he growled, and swung her out of his arms so hard that her eyes crossed for a moment. Logan stalked towards the mansion, unmoved by the sound of the woman crying behind him.

"I want you to come. Please" Scott said stuffing his neatly rolled socks into a luggage case.

"You're so cute when you beg," Ororo replied flipping to another page of the Trainer's Literary Magazine. Scott stared at her as she crossed her long legs on his bed and began reading an article that caught her eye.

"I'm serious Ro. The entire school is going to the Professor's resort."

"Not the entire school," she reminded him.

Scott scoffed "Professor Logan is a loser. Besides is it wrong for me to want to spend the summer with my girlfriend before we graduate and she goes off to Yale or Harvard or wherever you academic types go?"

Ororo looked up at him her blue eyes dancing with amusement "Your girlfriend?"

Scott pursed his lips and shifted his weight nervously as she stood up and hooked her arms around his neck. "Since when am I your…girlfriend?" she inquired. Scott shrugged unable to meet her gaze and adjusted his ruby quartz glasses "I don't know. Since now I guess."

Ororo raised a platinum eyebrow in response. "You know what I mean Ro, jeez" he said and kissed her briefly on the lips before returning to his packing. His cheeks were red with embarrassment. Ororo giggled, but then thought for a moment, and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Wait, did you just ask me to be your girlfriend just so I'd spend the summer with you?"

"What? No, of course not I-" Scott searched for the words but none were readily available.

Ororo shook her head "Scott, the professor pulled a lot of strings to get me into the internship program with Senator Kelly's office. It'll look good on my resume and make me a shoe in for scholarships wherever us "academic types" go. Giving up a summer is a small price to pay for something that will benefit my future."

With graduation from the academy less then 9 months away Ororo already had acceptance letters from 6 colleges including NYU, Columbia, Princeton and Yale. She had worked so hard over the last four years to be the best student possible, and her efforts had succeeded. She was at the top of her class and secretly one of the professor's favorite students. He admired her ability to lead and be led and soon hoped to discuss her future at the academy.

"Even if it means giving me up?"

"What?"

"Come on Ro, who are we kidding here. They're never going to accept you."

"My stack of college acceptance letters might read to the contrary."

"That's not what I meant"

"Then what?"

Scott sighed. He hated bringing this up again but he had to get through to her somehow. When was she going to realize that the world wasn't built for people like them? The world wasn't made for mutants. The humans out numbered them and they called the shots. As if reading his mind she said. "Go ahead and say it. They won't accept me because I'm a monster. Is that it?"

"No, you're not a monster. You're beautiful" he said softening his tone. Ororo crossed her arms over her chest as Scott pulled her into an embrace. She didn't respond to his touch and instead felt repulsed by it.

"I just don't want them to hurt you, that's all," he whispered.

Tears stung her eyes "It's not them I'm worried about. Enjoy your vacation" Ororo said her voice cracking. She pushed away from him before he could see her cry and slammed his bedroom door behind her. She hated that she had allowed Scott to upset her, and that she was now on the verge of tears. Don't cry. DON'T. CRY. Don't loose control. Scott called after her, but she refused to look back, as thunder roared in the distance.

Logan wanted a cigar and a beer. No he wanted a cigar and two beers, and time away from Jean and the school. He was thankful that the Professor had arranged for the students who didn't have a home to go to for the summer to spend it at his resort in the Caribbean. He'd have the house all to himself.

No screaming rug rats, papers to grade or lying cheating ex-girlfriends.

Ororo rounded the corner and bumped into something hard. She stepped back and looked up at Professor Logan. She quickly wiped any remnants of tears from her eyes.

"Watch yourself kiddo" he said looking her over.

"Sorry Professor Logan I-"

"Just Logan, thanks"

Ororo added another quiet sorry, and then fell silent. Logan could sense something was wrong, but Ororo was the one student he found hard to read. She always seemed so reserved and under control. Unlike her headstrong hormone driven classmates. She smiled at him suddenly and he knew it was fake. He offered her one of his own and hoped it read genuine. It didn't, and she knew.

"You okay?" he asked because he didn't know what else to say.

Ororo nodded "Fine. You?"

"Good."

"Great."

More silence. Ororo shoved her hands in her back pockets and said "Well I should-"

"Yeah me too-" he added.

"Good talk, Professor Logan" Ororo said stepping around him and swiftly moving down the hall.

"Just Logan," he reminded.

"Yeah, sure" she said over her shoulder, and kept walking. Logan sighed and cursed under his breath. Make that a cigar, two beers and three shots of whiskey.





You must login () to review.