Logan couldn't remember the woman's name, but she laughed as he pushed her onto his bed and opened her arms to him. He crawled on top of her like a predator stalking an oblivious prey and buried his face in her neck.

Was it Jill?

Whoever she was, she pulled at his shirt popping buttons this was and that, and moaned as he trailed wet kisses down her neck to the top of her breasts.

Barbara. Maybe her name was Barbara.

She groaned in pleasure as he freed one of her breasts from the plunging neckline of her shirt and encircled his tongue around an erect nipple. He hoped to make as much noise as possible.

Under normal circumstances he never would have brought a date back to the mansion. But as it was, this particular encounter had a purpose. He had to show Ororo that he wasn't who she thought he was. He had to do something to keep her from looking at him the way she did…with such trust and care. What did she see? A person that was kind and playful? That man only existed in the twinkle of her beautiful eyes. As much as he wanted to be those things for her he couldn't. It was wrong. He had a good thing going at the school, and despite his falling out with Jean he had finally begun to feel like he was a part of something…something good and worthwhile.

Something worth more that the feeling in the pit of his stomach that stirred at the sight of Ororo. He had more to lose than she did. She had her whole life ahead of her. And Logan? He was the outsider wasn't he? If he was honest with himself he really was hanging on by a thread. Everyone treated him decent enough, but the swell of fear was still apparent in their eyes. They were afraid of the animal inside of him, and he couldn't think of any reason why they shouldn't be. Whatever it was that was going on between him and Ororo would only complicate things more than they already were.

But, he couldn't ignore the fact that he was different around her. He was good-humored and almost cheery. He had to end it…whatever it was before it went too far. And with the help of…Was her name Amber? ….He'd do just that. Logan growled at the vixen in his arms as she banged her fist against his headboard…

That's right…louder.

Ororo buried her head under her pillow. If that woman cackles one more time… She couldn't believe he had had the nerve to bring his latest conquest to the mansion. Not only was it childish, it was dangerous. Having outsiders at the school raised too many unwelcomed questions and curiosities. He was putting the school in a vulnerable position.

How dare he? The sound of the woman's muffled cackling pierced through the walls again and was then followed by a dull bang of something hitting the wall. Ororo sat up in bed, and threw back the covers. She told herself that she wasn't jealous. That her anger was rooted in the fact that he was disrespecting the school and the Professor, by bringing home that...that…SLUT!

She heard him growling as she approached his bedroom door and the sound made her sick to her stomach. For a moment she considered turning back. He was a grown man with the freedom to sleep with whomever he liked. The woman moaned and giggled again through the door and Ororo's blood began to boil.

Whomever, but not wherever!

She banged on the door harder then she had intended.

The laughter stopped. And in the next moment the door swung open and a woman smiled lazily at her. Her eyes were half closed and her dark brown hair was tossed about her shoulders.

"Yeeees," the woman sang resting her head on the door. Ororo could see Logan on the bed. He was shirtless with bare feet and the top of his jeans were undone. She detected a hint of a smile at the ends of his lips.

"There's a little girl at your door," the woman announced to Logan over her shoulder. Then she turned to Ororo "I'm Amy," she offered extending her hand in greeting. Ororo looked at her hand and made no attempt to shake it. She crossed her arms over her chest and looked past the intruder.

"Logan, a word please," She said tersely.

"Logan? I thought your name was Marvin?" Amy said her voice an annoying whine. She was drunk. Perfect.

Logan was suddenly at Amy's side with his arm around her waist and a cocky look on his face. Amy kissed him sloppily and Logan held Ororo's unrelenting gaze. Amy suddenly covered her hand over her mouth as her lazy eyes flew open. She stumbled back into the room and ran for the restroom. The sound of vomiting soon followed.

"Get her out of here right now," Ororo demanded her voice tight with anger and disgust.

"Go back to your room," he said as he closed the door. Ororo put her hand on the door stopping him and warned "I mean it."

"Its past yer bedtime, darlin'" he asked smartly.

"Do you have any idea what you are doing?"

"Yeah. I was in the middle of it before you came knockin'"

"You are putting the school in a ridiculous situation."

"Well, look who's soundin' like an adult," he said.

"And what are you? Twelve?" she retorted.

Amy stumbled out of the bathroom using the back of her hand to wipe her mouth. She smiled but then heaved again darting back into the bathroom.

Ororo shook her head "Classy."

Logan sighed "We done wit tha third degree?" he barked, but it sounded like more of a statement then a question.

"I'll call her a cab," Ororo said turning on her heel to the stairs. Logan followed her. "Don't bother. We 'aint done yet,"

Ororo turned to him suddenly nearly bumping into him. She hadn't realized he was so close. Despite his overpowering presence she stood her ground "You think I don't know what you are doing? If a drunk barfly is what turns you on–"

"Don't worry yer pretty little head about what turns me on" he said through clenched teeth.

"What is wrong with you?"

"This is who I am. Take it or leave it," he claimed.

"Oh really? Meaningless sex with strange random women?"

"No sex is meaningless. It all comes out alright in the end. You'll see one day."

"You're a pig," she spat.

Logan grabbed her elbow and shook her arms loose. It hurt but Ororo didn't give him the satisfaction.

"Ima realist, little girl!" he roared. "Get yer head outta the clouds!"

Ororo snatched her arm away as tears welled in her eyes and her mouth trembled. He had done it again. He had sparked emotions inside of her she found hard to contain. Yet this time instead of butterflies in the pit her stomach…she felt rage. A combination of frustration, jealously, and humiliation. Her eyes flashed white and in that moment Logan's face softened. He knew then that he had struck the right nerve. Still he didn't want to hurt her. She just needed to understand.

He didn't like the way she was looking at him now. He wanted to tell her it was a lie. That he was just trying to protect them both from whatever may or may not have been going on between them. Without thinking he lifted his hand her face brushing a platinum strand out of her eyes. Ororo shoved his hand away and turned to leave.

He grabbed her arm again…softer than before. He pulled her so that her back was pressed firmly against his chest and his mouth was close to her ear. She stood there motionless her eyes closed. Why was he doing this? What possible pleasure could he be getting out of embarrassing her? He said her name softly against her ear, and her body began to tremble. She wanted to run and turn into his arms all at the same time.

"Marvin!" Amy sang from the door "I'm ready now." The sound of that woman's voice brought Ororo back to earth. She snatched her arm away as if his touch had burned. She turned to him then, looking up at him with her eyes solid milk white. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she said "Don't ever touch me again." It was a warning. "You got that Professor" she added coldly.

Logan watched as she walked away. At least now he had made himself clear. In the end that was what was best. She'd get over it sooner or later. He had made her hate him, and hate was better than any other emotion or urge that had transpired between them since the summer had begun. Why then did he want to run after her? Hold her in his arms, apologize and tell her that it was all a lie.

Because I wanna protect her that's why he thought. I need to protect her from me.

Ororo had maintained military silence for two weeks. Logan didn't see her very often, only when she left in the mornings to do her internship, and even then it was only for a few brief moments…moments that he had begun to look forward to. She was good at being invisible. A girl after his own heart.

Logan had been keeping to himself, eating alone, and working on odd projects around the house. Even when he shouldn't have been, he found himself thinking about her throughout the day. He wondered what she truly thought of him now, and if she could ever bring herself to forgive him? Did he want to be forgiven?... If she did then that meant they would be friends again…and who knows where that might lead.

Logan needed to clear his head. He threw on some sweat pants and a white tank top before making his way to the gym. The doors to the gym swished open and he found Ororo there. Sweat glistened over her arms and chest as she threw countless kicks and punches at a helpless punching bag. Her hair was pulled into a pony tail and her hands were wrapped to protect her fists.

She spotted him out of the corner of her eye but didn't stop. If anything she punched harder. Logan stood there watching her for a minute. She was blowing off steam and he could tell by the look on her face that she was far from forgiving him.

Even though he should have been walking away he said "This how it's gonna be?"

Ororo didn't respond. She simply grunted and executed a low kick to the bag…perhaps she was imagining that it was his crotch. Logan walked over and stood next to the bag. Ororo glanced at him again but didn't reply to him. She continued to throw punches.

"Some right hook yah got there. But yer not followin' through wit yer left," he pointed out. Ororo stopped, swiped her bottle of water from the floor and then turned to leave. Breathing heavily she took a gulp of water. Just as she reached the door she heard.

"Okay, take yer best shot."

She stopped and turned to look him in the eyes. The first time in weeks "Excuse me?"

"Look kid, it's obvious yer still pissed at me. So, take yer best shot, and be done with it."

Ororo laughed in unbelief and walked back towards him. Was he serious? Did he honestly think that letting her hit him would make everything all better?

She put the water down."You want me to hit you?" she asked so that he could hear how absurd it sounded out loud.

Logan shrugged nonchalantly "Like I said. Take yer best–"

Ororo punched him in the mouth so hard and so fast with her left fist that his head whipped to the side as he stumbled away, and his lip began to bleed. Ororo shook her hand in pain. The padding on her fist had cushioned most of the blow. It didn't make everything ALL better, but it was a start. He had a hard head, but at least she had drawn blood. He hadn't seen that coming.

"How's that follow through?" she asked smartly. Logan touched the healing wound on his lip and smiled in surprise.

"Better," he said. "But maybe you should–"

She punched him again this time with her right fist, and followed through by sweeping his feet from under him. His over three-hundred pound frame hit the mat hard, the wind nearly knocked out of him. She stood over him triumphantly, cradling her right fist.

"Watch your step old man," she said her face softer then it had been before and a smile on her pretty lips.

He laid there for a moment considering. "If that's the way yah wanna play it darlin'" he said swatting his hand towards her. Ororo folded into a back handspring to evade him and landed in the fighting position. Logan was on his feet then. The look in her eyes was playful and a little mischievous. It was in that moment that he realized that he wanted her forgiveness….needed it. He liked the way she looked at him. It seemed to be full of everything he had been missing in his other relationships. If this is what she needs to forgive me? Then so be it. Logan put his fists up… and in the next moment Ororo charged.





You must login () to review.