"I thought you were sick," Ororo said closing her bedroom door behind her. Betsy sat on the bed with her legs crossed and a devious smile on her pretty face.

"I never said that," she replied her British accent making her sound more sophisticated than most people...but Ororo knew better.

Ororo shook her head and searched her dresser for a change of clothes...after her encounter with Logan she'd decided to take a hot shower, and perhaps calm her still vibrating nerves. "So if you're not sick then why-"

"I missed you," Betsy said lamely as she examined her finely manicured fingernails.

Ororo scoffed retrieving a pair of jeans and a black Beatles t-shirt "I seriously doubt that,"

Betsy rolled her eyes "Alright then, let's just say I'd had all the vacation I could stomach, no pun intended. Do you know what it's like sharing a room with Kitty? My ears were practically bleeding."

Ororo laughed. She understood completely. Betsy cocked her head to the side and narrowed her almond shaped eyes. She examined Ororo in the vanity mirror..."And also, because I wanted to talk to you about something. Something that I didn't want to discuss over the phone."

Ororo stiffened and switched her thoughts as far away from Logan as possible. Prom, graduation, going away to college...Logan's hands on the small of her back...Ororo shook her thoughts. The last thing she needed was for Betsy to pick up on them, which it was more likely than not that she already had. Ororo chose her words carefully anyway "Oh yeah? What's that?" she asked.

Betsy slid off the bed and stood beside Ororo holding her gaze in the mirror.

"Promise you won't get upset?"

"Psy, come on," Ororo pressed.

"Promise," Betsy challenged.

"Oaky. I promise. What?"

Betsy sighed as if what she was about to say was extremely difficult for her "I saw Scott and Emma."

"You saw Scott and Emma, what?"

"Together," Betsy clarified.

Ororo's shoulders relaxed "Oh, that." Ororo said dispassionately.

Betsy frowned "What do you mean 'Oh, that'? You knew?"

"Yes," Ororo said simply, disappearing into the bathroom. She switched on the shower as hot as she could tolerate, peeled off her clothes, slid the shower door open and jumped in.

Betsy came in shortly after and propped herself comfortably on the bathroom sink "How do you find out?"

"He told me," Ororo said over the dull roar of water rushing at her.

Betsy shook her head "Tosser," she mumbled.

Ororo smiled "My sentiments exactly,"

"I don't know why you wanted to date him in the first place. He's an absolute-"

Ororo cracked the shower door open and peaked her head out "Tool?," she offered.

"Precisely."

Ororo continued her shower, and said "We were friends first remember? And technically we never really 'dated',"

Betsy narrowed her eyes again. Why was Ororo being so aloof? "You know Stormy you are taking this a lot easier than I thought. And since 'technically' you never dated you are 'technically' back on the market?"

Ororo shut off the shower, "I suppose," then she cracked the shower door again "Pass me my towel, please?" she asked extending her hand through the crack.

Betsy retrieved the towel from the rack and held it just out of Ororo's reach "You know before the break I was sure that you and Cyclops would be getting married, having babies and so on and so forth…"

Ororo snatched the towel and wrapped herself in it. Betsy giggled…she was on to something, but she didn't want to pry. It was hard not to though…Ororo's aura had practically screamed at her the moment she had seen her. "I know Hank and Bobby will be ready to bite their arms off. They're always slobbering all over you. Now if you ask me-"

"I didn't" Ororo interrupted flatly.

Betsy continued, "If you ask me, I think you should go for Hank. He's a little on the fury side, but he's a sweetheart..."

Ororo stepped out of the shower avoiding Betsy's sly and devilish smile. "Unless..." Betsy added arching a neatly shaped eyebrow.

Ororo pushed her best friend out of the bathroom so that she could finish dressing. She closed the door and Betsy stood outside with her back pressed against it.

Laughing she said "Prey, tell me oh mighty weather goddess. Hast thine heart been enraptured by another?"

Ororo continued to dress and focused on switching her thoughts elsewhere…but the act itself made her think about Logan more…what they had almost done, and what she would have let him do…

"I thought I was the adventurous one," Betsy smiled as she finally got a glimpse of Ororo's thoughts. She had gotten good at shielding her mind from Betsy's probing, but not good enough. Betsy leaned away from the door and extended her psychic knife from her right hand.

Ororo swung the door open, and Betsy was standing there her eyes illuminated by a lavender glow as she displayed the translucent blade at her fist. In the next instance the blade split into three razor sharp...claws.

Exasperated Ororo slapped Betsy's hand away careful not to sting herself on the focused energy "You know, I really hate having a telepath for a best friend"

Betsy laughed obnoxiously as her eyes melted back to normal.

"It's not funny," Ororo pressed seriously.

Betsy laughed harder.

Ororo pushed past her "Ugh, you suck."

"I think I'm gonna be sick," Alison 'Dazzler' Blaire announced pathetically.

"You are sick, Dazz," Logan reminded her as he readied his syringe needle.

It was almost funny, really. Logan had to hold back a laugh as the students stood in a pitiful line. Some held their stomachs, others swayed on their feet. Some of them even had to be given fluids intravenously...He and Jean were administering shots to help with their violent symptoms, but overall they would have to just wait for the virus to run it's course.

"So what did they eat?" Logan inquired as he ran an alcohol swab over Alison's upper arm.

Jean looked up at him. He was being surprisingly civil towards her. Upon seeing her he had given her a small smile and asked her about the trip. The trip had been relaxing up until the vomiting and diarrhea started with the children. One thing was for sure...she had missed him. Perhaps this change that she sensed in him was a good sign. Perhaps the time they had spent apart had given him time to think. Time to reconsider. Maybe he could forgive her, and maybe they could start all over again. Maybe they would be happy like they had been before. Maybe they'd-

"Jean?" Logan said "You still with me?"

Jean shook her thoughts "Yeah, sorry. We still don't know. They all had something different at the restaurant we went to. I couldn't see any consistencies."

"Kids, carry germs," Logan shrugged and pushed the plunger down on the syringe to administer the medication into Alison's arm.

"Owe!" she yelped.

"You'll be fine," he grunted. Alison's shoulders relaxed and a look of relief fell over her delicate facial features. "Thanks" she said after a moment. "I feel so much bet-" her words were suddenly truncated by the abrupt spew of vomit that projected from her mouth.

Logan, in the direct line of fire, had no time to react. All he could do was stand there as the chunky pink and yellowish bile expelled onto the front of his chest, chin, and spattered into his hair. Two other students standing in line vomited as well. Jean's mouth fell open in shock. Tears filled Alison's eyes as she clamped her hand over her mouth consumed by embarrassment, and sick to her stomach all at the same time.

"I'm so sorry Professor Logan," she groaned.

"Dazzy," Jean said ushering her out of line.

"Freakin' kids" Logan mumbled as he made his way towards a well-deserved shower.

"Ro, he could get fired," Betsy said picking a petal from one of the plants in the greenhouse.

Ororo dissipated the rain cloud she had summoned over her tulips, and swatted her friends destructive hands away from the defenseless fern "I know that."

"Did you sleep with him then?"

"No," Ororo replied and she almost sounded disappointed about it. "Look, it's over anyway. Now that Dr. Grey's back.-"

"I wouldn't be so sure," Betsy handed Ororo a batch of budding daises.

Her comment sparked Ororo's interest, but she didn't want to seem too eager "Oh?" she said.

Betsy ignored her friends feigned interest "Us telepaths have a knack for picking up on things. Sometimes even without trying. I didn't get the whole story, but bottom line is. Logan was pissed, and rightly so. I wouldn't count on a reunion anytime soon."

Ororo couldn't help but smile at the slight twinge of hope that rushed through her. If things were over with Dr. Grey then maybe...

"Alright before you go off into la la land. Even if things don't bode well for the red head...You and Professor Logan together? Not a good idea," Betsy said.

Ororo dropped her gaze "I know it's a bad idea,"

"The worst of ideas," Betsy corrected, "Now, I know I am not exactly the poster child for morality here." Ororo tossed her a knowing look in silent agreement. "But" Betsy went on "As your best friend it is my duty to protect you from this very complicated, very irrational, very statutory situation."

Ororo cleared her throat "I know Bets. It's just a crush that's all" she claimed, hoping that if she continued to say it out loud it would eventually be true. She pasted the best smile she could manage on her face and pulled Betsy into a hug.

"Crushes are normal," Betsy decided "We can deal with a crush." Then a kaleidoscope of images underscored with emotions, mostly ones of love and adoration, suddenly washed over Betsy like a cool wind brushing sensitive skin from the inside out...And suddenly she knew.

"Oh, bollocks," she said, and leaned away to look Ororo in the face "You're in love with him."

Ororo opened her mouth to protest just as- "Ye shoulda seen it," Sean cackled in a thick Irish brogue. He stood in the doorway holding his stomach as if he could barely contain himself. Ororo sighed. Saved by the Banshee. He continued, his unnaturally high-pitched laugh which rattled the glass walls and ceiling of the green house. Ororo and Betsy frowned the sound causing their eardrums to buzz.

"Bring it down a few notches you blabbering hyena," Betsy snapped her face full of blatant irritation. Ororo was somewhat more forgiving asked"Missed what?"

Sean stopped laughing long enough to spit it out "Ol' Dazzy made a show of the charmin' Mr. Logan. She be payin 'em back for those death drills in the wee hours of the mornin'," and then he burst out laughing again. The walls shook.

Curious, Ororo made her way towards the mansion. Betsy was right behind her but Sean stepped in her path, his large frame filling up the doorway. Betsy stepped back twisting her lips in annoyance.

"Ever consider knocking, half-wit? We happened to have been in the middle of a very sensitive conversation" she said propping her hands on her hips.

Sean didn't reply. He simply soaked in the sight of her as if he were a man lost in the dessert and she was a fresh pool of cool water. Then he made a sound deep in his throat that resembled a groan of pain...or intense pleasure.

Betsy cringed "Shouldn't you be spilling your guts in a toilet somewhere?"

Sean shrugged "Good as new, lass" he said stepping closer.

Betsy didn't move "Is that so?"

"That so," he replied as he stopped just inches away from her. Betsy looked up at him. She wanted to slap him for invading her personal space, but she also wanted to- "Ye want me ta leave?" he asked.

Betsy smiled slowly and put her hand on his chest pushing him a step back. He watched her as she stepped around him and made her way to the door. She put her hand on the lock and clicked it in place. Then she turned to him sliding her blazer off. "Now why would I want you to go and do something like that?"

Dressed in fresh clothes Logan sat on the side of his bed toweling his hair dry.

"Yeah?" he said answering a light tap on his door. The door pushed open quietly and Jean peeked her head around. "You okay?" she asked a slight smile playing at the ends of her mouth.

"All things considered" he said tossing the towel behind him on the bed.

"Maybe next time you should wear a slicker," she joked as she closed the door behind her and stood a respectful distance away. It was quiet then and Jean wondered if it was the right time to re-open old wounds. Where they stood as a couple was really all she wanted to sort out ever since she had returned. Now, here was her chance.

"Confession?" she offered. Logan looked up at her and nodded silently.

Jean sighed, "I really screwed you over. I know that. And I can't say enough how sorry I am and how much I wish it had never happened. I made a mistake, and if I had it to do all over again-that doesn't matter now. The reason I did what I did was because you shut me out."

Logan stood to his feet ready to retort, but Jean continued "Not that it was your fault. I just need you to understand. I love you, and I want us to work. But you have to want us to work too. You cant just keep me at arms length and expect-" She stopped, taking a breath and swallowing her own irritation with Logan's apparent lack of ability to achieve true intimacy. It was the only thing missing from their relationship.

She continued "I am ready and willing to try and rebuild what we had. However long that takes."

Logan believed that she was sincere. To say that he still didn't have feelings for her would have been a lie. He cared for her a great deal...but in a different way now. Was it because of what she had done or because of the feelings he had for Ororo? He didn't know. But, being with Jean made more sense.

"I'm not makin' yah any promises, darlin'" He said, and Jean smiled "All I need is a chance," she said and before he knew it she was pulling him into a tight hug. He stood there at first trying to wrap his mind around the idea of giving her a second chance. Hadn't he been given a second chance...a third? Fourth? Fifth? Then his hands slid around her and he hugged her back...there was something so familiar about Jean...a connection that they shared that he couldn't deny...maybe he could build on that...Yeah it was better this way.

The creak of his door drew his attention and he saw Ororo standing there. Logan immediately recognized the flash of jealousy in her eyes, which she almost instantly covered with a sharp intake of breath...the look she had now? With her jaw tight and her full lips set in a strait line? Indifference.

Wordlessly Ororo turned on her heel and left nearly slamming the door behind her. Without a second thought Logan slid out of his embrace with Jean and went after her.

"Storm!" he called and she stopped turning to him slowly. If looks could kill Logan was sure he'd be dead on his feet. Her gaze was empty and cold, which was a far cry from the look of need and desire he had seen only hours before.

"Yes, Professor," she said in an even tone.

"Don't be like that," he said.

"Be like what?"

"It wasn't how it looked."

Ororo crossed her arms over her chest "Why are you explaining yourself to me?"

Jean was making her way down the hall "Everything, okay?," he asked settling in beside Logan.

Ororo looked at the two of them for a moment, and then she smiled...a strange and unsettling smile "It's fine. Just kids stuff. Right Professor?" she said looking at Logan. Ororo didn't wait for his response. She turned again and walked away.

"She okay?" Jean said turning to Logan.

"Yeah, she just had some questions about some trainin' exercises we'd been workin' on"

Jean nodded "Oh yeah, I heard about her little accident. She looks alright."

"Yeah she does," he replied not meeting her gaze. He couldn't let Ororo think that-

"I think she was a little jealous, though" Jean added.

Logan looked at Jean expecting his cover to be blown...meddling telepaths. "Jealous?"

"Well she's had you all to herself this summer, and you are rather charming when you want to be. I got the feeling that she may have had a little crush on you." Jean laced her fingers behind his neck and smiled "Actually, I think a lot of the girls here have crushes on you." She started to kiss him on the mouth , but Logan leaned away. Jean looked at him confused.

"Like I said. I'm not makin' yah any promises. I think we should take this slow," he suggested. Jean unclasped her hands from around his neck and shoved them into her back pockets "Sure, okay. That's sounds...nice, actually."

With that settled Logan turned back towards his room.

"Logan," Jean called, and he turned to her. "I love you," she said.

Logan wasn't sure of what to say. He knew that she loved him. But he couldn't bring himself to say it back. Not now at least.

"It's okay. You don't have to say it back. You've actually never said it at all, but I understand. You have to trust me again. I just wanted you to know that's all" she added nervously.

"Thanks," he said.





You must login () to review.